• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
As opposed to all those great late-2000s fantasy action movies? Or those incredible 2010s fantasy action movies?

What?

I mean, it's not to say that the genre as a whole lends itself to fine drama (it doesn't) but of course you're going to get cringey one-liners! I don't get what the big deal is about them. I did qualify early 2000s because one-liners probably came off a bit better at the time though.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
You're awful OP, you should be banned.

However, this thread reminded me how much I love these movies and now I'll probably rewatch them again.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
3eql.gif

Indeed.

If there is justice Op should lose thread privileges over this shitty take

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Please remove posting privileges for this post as well.

That goes for anyone considering any line from the Theatrical Cut to be corny. Extended Editions are fair game
I don't think I've seen theatrical since actually watching it in the theatre. At this point I don't even know which scenes were added to the EE.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Please remove posting privileges for this post as well.

That goes for anyone considering any line from the Theatrical Cut to be corny. Extended Editions are fair game

I need a diagram of Theatrical vs Extended dialog, I bet the ratio of corny to not corny is going to be extremely similar and Viggo is going to have the majority of cringey overly sincere stuff.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Multiple watches and I still love that part. But what's gotten me is that I just don't care for two towers or RotK andywhere near as much as I care for Fellowship.

For me, "you bow to no man" is a fine line if you just watch the last movie. If you watch all three and then end on it? Hoo boy. Then it's a fuckin line.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've seen theatrical since actually watching it in the theatre. At this point I don't even know which scenes were added to the EE.

FotR EE is great because everything they added back in flows perfectly so as far as I'm concerned it's the only cut.

TT EE is okay but most of the scenes added back in are unnecessary and just provide a little more background but can sometimes break up the flow of the movie. Merry and Pippin having fun in Fangorn for off the top of my head. That scene of Boromir and Theromir in Isgilith is also kind of unnecessary and out of place in TT but is a really good scene that probably should have been in RotK. Theodin's son being found on the battlefield and the funeral are great.

ROTK is kind of a MESS in EE. Feels so damn long and there's a lot of junk you don't really miss in the theatrical edition. The Way of the Dead stuff they added is kind of cool but also somewhat cheesy and cheap looking nowadays, but more than that actually removes the tension of whether or not Aragorn succeeded in recruiting the undead army before they're shown to arrive to save Minis Tirith. The shot of Aragorn falling to his knees in when he sees the pirate fleet heading towards Gondor is great though.

Plotinus

Oct 30, 2017
It's an earnest moment in an earnest trilogy. Condolences to all the people who are too encrusted over with cynicism to enjoy it anymore.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Real controversial opinion?

Book was trash.

Movies were gold.

Come at me bro.
Not really all that controversial. The source material certainly has its issues, that have been expounded upon by many critics, and has been surpassed by many modern fantasy books, but it still stands as one of the key progenitors of modern fantasy fiction.

Last edited:

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Merry and Pippin were the first two to charge with Aragorn at the final battle. They also helped the Ents take back Isengard.

ZalXII

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
OP is right. They should all bow to Gollum, the first who threw the ring (and of course himself somehow unintentionally) into the lava after thousand years where nodody else was able to fulfill this task. He even was happy while doing so. All hail Gollum.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
OP is right. They should all bow to Gollum, the first who threw the ring (and of course himself somehow unintentionally) into the lava after thousand years where nodody else was able to fulfill this task. He even was happy while doing so. All hail Gollum.
That was more will of god, intervention etc, rather than Gollum willingly sacrificing himself and the One for the good of Middle-earth.

Deleted member 18407

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The entire LOTR trilogy is unwatchable. At least I can't sit through them anymore and I've never been able to finish the third one.

Planet of the Apes is the superior film trilogy.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Of course it's corny, the whole trilogy is intentionally corny, just like the Star Wars OT is supposed to have tones of 50s camp and the PT, 30s camp.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its a powerful and satisfying moment after all the shit the hobbits have been through in the last 10 hours

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
I mean you're absolutely wrong but the whole end of Return of the King is corny and I absolutely loved it. It earns its corniness over 12 magnificent hours of cinema.

Oct 25, 2017
The entire LOTR trilogy is unwatchable. At least I can't sit through them anymore and I've never been able to finish the third one.

Planet of the Apes is the superior film trilogy.

War for the Planet of the Apes rushes its finale. Rise, while a decent enough movie wasn't anything special. Freida Pinto's character was especially badly written and not the only one. There's no way the Apes trilogy is superior. It doesn't reach anywhere near the highs The LotR trilogy does.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FotR EE is great because everything they added back in flows perfectly so as far as I'm concerned it's the only cut.

TT EE is okay but most of the scenes added back in are unnecessary and just provide a little more background but can sometimes break up the flow of the movie. Merry and Pippin having fun in Fangorn for off the top of my head. That scene of Boromir and Theromir in Isgilith is also kind of unnecessary and out of place in TT but is a really good scene that probably should have been in RotK. Theodin's son being found on the battlefield and the funeral are great.

ROTK is kind of a MESS in EE. Feels so damn long and there's a lot of junk you don't really miss in the theatrical edition. The Way of the Dead stuff they added is kind of cool but also somewhat cheesy and cheap looking nowadays, but more than that actually removes the tension of whether or not Aragorn succeeded in recruiting the undead army before they're shown to arrive to save Minis Tirith. The shot of Aragorn falling to his knees in when he sees the pirate fleet heading towards Gondor is great though.

Uh, I agree 100%. Love the first two EEs, but Return of the King is better in its theatrical cut.

Oct 28, 2017
Peter Jackson's style is to drag out scenes as looooong as possible. That tendency got worse over the course of the trilogy. Now he's just incredibly self indulgent.