RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they get to the point like PSO where anybody can fire up their own private server

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
xXqDpsE.png

I want to believe.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Never played this but it really doesn't seem like it was ever hurting anyone for this game to stay alive on fan-run servers. Clearly NCSoft decided that the game wasn't worth it for them to run it anymore, so why should they care if someone else decides to run it?

As an aside, I wonder if people consider this a form of piracy, similar to an abandonware scenario?
Copying the original serverside code is definitely piracy. I mean that should not be in doubt ever.

The client is a bit murkier, but since it was provided free of charge when the game was running, it'll be a tough argument to say people aren't allowed to have those files.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just wish I could understand NCSoft's position on this.

People have literally offered to BUY the IP.

But instead they sit on it, dead, and not even let people play a private server.

Its just PETTY.

SimonChris

Oct 27, 2017
They are now saying on Discord that there was no C&D from NCSoft, and some random developer just got spooked or something.

SimonChris

Oct 27, 2017
Innocuous/Glory to ArachnosI said:
Innocuous/Glory to ArachnosI dag kl. 23:08
We are drafting a general update.
Questions I can answer right now:
1.) We do not currently have the server binaries right now. We do not physically have them.
2. We are not giving up, every single one of us is looking at the outcomes and directions to go to.
3. Hope is not lost. Seriously. Coderbus, calm down. People in the community, calm down. We are working to figure out a solution as well as get some spatial awareness on what is going on.
4. The previous plan of forming an LLC may not need to be formed. So, once again, please calm down. This is a panic spiral and we are trying to collect ourselves.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, okay, so someone just got worried about NCSoft C&Ding them, as opposed to it actually happening? Like what actually happened?

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just wish I could understand NCSoft's position on this.

People have literally offered to BUY the IP.

But instead they sit on it, dead, and not even let people play a private server.

Its just PETTY.

Same reason Konami sits on Silen Hill etc. because they might use it eventually and have to protect their rights.

I'm thanking EQ Project 1999 is allowed to exist.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
I know NCSoft has every right to do this. But this is an incredibly poor look, i've never been a fan of the "I ain't doing anything with this, but you better not touch it" mentality some publishers have. Even Square Enix will let people use some of their legacy IP if their pitch is good enough.

Examples?
Not because I dont believe you I just love times when pubs are ok with it

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I thought private servers for dead games were considered perfectly legal per some court judgement a couple years ago, I'm really out of the loop

SimonChris

Oct 27, 2017
Innocuous/Glory to Arachnos said:
Innocuous/Glory to Arachnos I dag kl. 23:52
As of now, we are running on the assumption that there is no DMCA. We have a drive that we are currently verifying on if it's the server binaries. As it stands, it has everything.
There has been some fuckups that lead to mass server panic, and an emergency administration and codemod meeting has been called.
We may very well be able to salvage this situation before the next sunset. No promises. Do not hold this against me.
We have a gameplan. It depends on verifying this code right now. Once it is achieved, we are pushing to get a server back up immediately.
The original goal of the server has been to get a stable i24 for distribution and by the Well of the Furies we will get it. This chaos was unprofessional on my part (partly from my inexperience), and triggers were being pulled before we even had the horses at the races.
We will also be futureproofing future development to make sure this kind of clusterfuck will never happen again.
Also, allow me to be blunt and address this once and for all. FOR FUCKS SAKE, STOP HOPPING LEANDRO'S DICK THE MOMENT ANYTHING HAPPENS. MYSELF INCLUDED

Quite literally, it seems.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I've read this entire thread, what a ride. Never played this, was a console only dude in those days, might hop on if they get everything back up.

Wait it was the older thread lol

Other

Oct 28, 2017
They put in the work to enjoy something they love and you didn't. Why do they have to include anyone outside of their group? They don't. You aren't entitled to anything.
They were handed the server code on a silver platter which they used to create their own exclusive secret club. The only work they put in was engaging in a campaign of gaslighting the tight-knit CoX community, sabotaging other efforts to create private servers and conducting a conspiracy to hide the existence and deny even the possiblity of a private ever existing.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
They kept it a secret literally for the reason this thread even exists

This shit isn't that hard
They haven't actually been struck with legal action yet but okay
Btw the best way to actually ensure the game will live on forever is to release the code openly and freely in the first place when one of the original game devs handed them the code
Once it's out there you won't be able to take down the wider community

OP
OP
LightKiosk

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
By my (limited) understanding, this all started because an assumed troll impersonated an NCSoft employee and convinced the person responsible for hosting the servers to wipe everything and take it all down.

As far as we know, NCSoft was not involved in this at all. It was simply the act of a random person wanting to get a kick out of it. The details around it are a bit hazy, but the bottom line is NCSoft had nothing to do with what occurred today.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By my (limited) understanding, this all started because an assumed troll impersonated an NCSoft employee and convinced the person responsible for hosting the servers to wipe everything and take it all down.

As far as we know, NCSoft was not involved in this at all. It was simply the act of a random person wanting to get a kick out of it. The details around it are a bit hazy, but the bottom line is NCSoft had nothing to do with what occurred today.

Jesus fucking Christ if this dies due to a troll and people panicking...

Can the servers be recovered or are we talking full on Hammer to the Servers?

Primus

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like we're kind of back to where we were last week when the code was originally released. Code is out there but not in a running format, folks are working on things, stay tuned.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like we're kind of back to where we were last week when the code was originally released. Code is out there but not in a running format, folks are working on things, stay tuned.

well, better than DMCA, still, this game is swimming in mod and admin drama. There's also 4chan and transphobia involved too.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
They haven't actually been struck with legal action yet but okay
Btw the best way to actually ensure the game will live on forever is to release the code openly and freely in the first place when one of the original game devs handed them the code
Once it's out there you won't be able to take down the wider community

Yes, just release the code. That's a selfish take.

That's always thrown out there as a "solution" while ignoring the legal aspects of it for the person that potentially does it.

There are many things that people would love to release (speaking generally here, not just of this game) but aren't going to do so because they don't want to risk getting sued to oblivion.

Oddly, the people who say "just release it" never pledge resources to cover legal costs.

OP
OP
LightKiosk

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
ETA on when next update will drop. I'm not adding this to the OP or as a Threadmark, just posting it to relay extra info.

UqJrLHI.jpg

Paendrag

Oct 27, 2017
Not entirely sure if this is the community update they were talking about but this was posted not too long ago.