WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Epic probably has a list of things they want the game to have before they graduate the game from beta. In this list is probably the finishing of the main Fortnite mode. the last minute BR mode becoming the global phenomenon it is probably put that down to the bottom of the list for now.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any truth to this? Never thought about a loop hole like that before.
Here is an article on the price of a patch
https://kotaku.com/5884842/wait-it-costs-40000-to-patch-a-console-game

Last company I worked for I was hearing a little over 50,000 for a PSN patch in 2018 and the company I was working for had an exclusive deal with Sony to boot. Ill try to find one on how Early Access and Beta games are allowed to bypass some of this (im sure this info is out there). But internally I heard that this was the norm which is why you see games get heavily patched and supported when they are in their beta period. But after release it slows way down and they always do a really big update every now and then. Some games are trying to bypass this by being able to make changes through server side (im not too familiar with this) but this is how weapon tweaking, balance changes, and random game modes can be activated without having to release(pay) for an entire patch.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Here is an article on the price of a patch
https://kotaku.com/5884842/wait-it-costs-40000-to-patch-a-console-game

Last company I worked for I was hearing a little over 50,000 for a PSN patch in 2018 and the company I was working for had an exclusive deal with Sony to boot. Ill try to find one on how Early Access and Beta games are allowed to bypass some of this (im sure this info is out there). But internally I heard that this was the norm which is why you see games get heavily patched and supported when they are in their beta period. But after release it slows way down and they always do a really big update every now and then. Some games are trying to bypass this by being able to make changes through server side (im not too familiar with this) but this is how weapon tweaking, balance changes, and random game modes can be activated without having to release(pay) for an entire patch.

I figured getting adjustments and updates on the server side always bypassed the process, but now I'm really curious if labeling a game as a beta or early access does something beneficial for the companies. I've never read anything about it or thought about this before. I did a quick Google earlier to no avail but there's probably someone who can bring it all to light.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
You could possibly argue the save the world mode is but I'd have a time arguing that the main mode of battle royale is still beta.

Thoughts?

They're both part of the same game. It's one product, Fortnite. So I can see why STW mode being technically unfinished means the whole product is 'beta'.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They're both part of the same game. It's one product, Fortnite. So I can see why STW mode being technically unfinished means the whole product is 'beta'.
Considering both mobile and Switch version do not come with STW, it's two products in one.
And on that, Battle Royale mode is not in beta. STW is.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Is there any truth to this? Never thought about a loop hole like that before.
That was last gen, I think they dropped all that stuff this gen so they just have to pay the price of the employee's working and any new certification that may change the game rating (Everyone rating to Mature) which isn't likely. In fact some developers get the green light to do daily patches and can skip the week long certifications.

Oct 29, 2017
It's a way for them to hand wave away any critisism that comes their way. Nothing more.

The game was "final" the day it launched. But "final" means nothing any more, since all GAAS/F2P games are perpetual "beta" products until they are abandoned.