• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Yeh, no.

Actually it was number one in steam for a while shortly after launch.

And that was when it was still broken as fuck. It did exceptionally well on Steam. Considering the quality of the game there's no reason why it shouldn't be number one or much closer.
How much it did on ps ?Did it beat Nba, Fifa and GTAV on PSN ?

Gta online very popular on Xbox and Nier is ahead GTAV there.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Meh, your loss. You'll miss out on an otherwise fantastic game.

It's not a perfect game but it does have several of the best, strongest female leads of the last couple of years. It's OK to like problematic things.

You can play through the whole game and all the side content and see all 26 endings without the skirt thing ever drawing attention to itself.

I didn't even realize there was a potentially prurient element to it until I was well into the game and started reading what fans were saying online.

Like... 2B and 9S both have destructible clothing. It's straight up extreme to avoid such a powerful and unique game, which happens to feature numerous strong women, for one element that isn't even presented in a salacious manner at any point during gameplay.

Literally the only problematic thing in the whole game is the upskirt achievement, which you can purchase with in-game currency if you're dead set against any hint of exploitation.

what does this mean lol
Partially joking. I'll get it one day, but I still don't like it that they put something like this in the game. It's just stupid.

Ehker

Oct 27, 2017
If you have a 4K HDR TV it's worth it - PS4 Pro runs at 1080p and - more importantely imo - doesn't support HDR. At least it didn't at launch and I don't think there was a patch? Playing it with HDR definitely made a big difference for me.
Does it have HDR? Thought people tested it and it lacks a HDR color range.

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't mind getting the HDR question nailed down, I don't actually own this yet, and had been leaning towards the PC version with the fan fixes... but if anyone wants to convince me that the X version (or Pro) is ultimately the better one, I'm all ears (eyes)

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Correct me now again . How much it did on PS at launch

Ugh.

Again, nobody disputed that. To be frank I don't know how it did on PlayStation, nor do I care. But I do know it did very well on steam and was consistently in the top selling list for much of the 6 months after it launched.

You are the one making these statements so the onus is on you to back them up.

Oct 25, 2017
Without delving into spoilers, I can say it will mostly not be a problem.

I've heard some mild spoilers that try and explain why it exists, but I found them to be largely unconvincing particularly when you consider the director basically said it's in there because of his tastes and fan service.

Even if I buy the explanations you're referencing it's still embarrassing to have my family see me play a game with that type of stuff.

I don't know. I might buy it one day, but it's ridiculous it's in there in the first place.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I've heard some mild spoilers that try and explain why it exists, but I found them to be largely unconvincing particularly when you consider the director basically said it's in there because of his tastes and fan service.

Even if I buy the explanations you're referencing it's still embarrassing to have my family see me play a game with that type of stuff.

I don't know. I might buy it one day, but it's ridiculous it's in there in the first place.

I mean, that's on you and your family. My wife was sitting down with me when I started it up, she saw 2B jump out of the wrecked flight suit and made a comment about "Hee hee, I'm in here in my battle dress" and that was the end of it. After hearing her shut 9S shit down when he started asking questions she(My wife) was all about her(2B).

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
You can easily play Automata without playing the first, so don't worry.

I mean... I did already buy Automato. Just if there's any kind of reference or callback in it to the previous game I don't want to be lost on them, you know?

Plus, I bought the damn game (Nier for 360), I should stop being a moron and freaking play the games I buy lol.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... I did already buy Automato. Just if there's any kind of reference or callback in it to the previous game I don't want to be lost on them, you know?

Plus, I bought the damn game (Nier for 360), I should stop being a moron and freaking play the games I buy lol.

It's not required to play the first game, and it definitely isn't going to play as well as the sequel BUT!! I recommend playing it. I recommend getting all the endings, too. I'm not saying this for no reason, either. Take it from a huge fan of both games. Plus the music is godlike.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Square is happy with the sales and will be willing to put more games out on Xbox One. A lot of their games from Japan are skipping out on Xbox One.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
KH3 is going to do gangbusters. This myth that Japanese games can't sell on Xbox is so dumb.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
lol tomorrow is the day I try the game on the ps4: it's still in seal and bought last year :/
(did not even want it, but could not miss it for a tenner on amazon uk )

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017

You don't really need to play the other games to enjoy Automata's story as it stands fine on its own. However, there are a few moments and callbacks that pack a bigger emotional punch if you're familiar with what came before. If the prospect of going through several hours worth of games is too much you can always check out Clemp's or ValkyrieAurora's retrospective videos on YouTube to get up to speed. Having said that, if you own the first Nier already I'd personally recommend playing it and getting all the endings yourself as it's a great game also on its own right.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone has explicitly said why but we know that MS has higher minimum print runs for games than Sony (which is one reason limited run games has given for not doing Xbox versions of their releases).

Higher minimum print run? What could that number be though? Hasn't LRG printed under 10,000 copies for every one of their physical games?

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm interested in this game, but the fan service perviness of the camera is a huge turnoff for me.
The sexualisation is there but a huge positive of it in this game is that the camera is never framed on purpose to exploit that and there are no creepy anime scenes. Yes, the characters are dressed the way they are but they're treated like they are in full body armour or something.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
You know what, I think I may bite and get this game. Its been a while since I played a good Japanese game, last one being FF15.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
May as well ask in here: friend of mine has insisted that I play NieR first as it's integral to getting the most out of Automata, is that true? Since I heard that Automata is mostly standalone. I'd have to resurrect my PS3 for it and it's possible the game may be a bit dated now. On the other hand, there is the supposed great soundtrack to look forward too. Gut choice for me would be to jump into Automata immediately...

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
May as well ask in here: friend of mine has insisted that I play NieR first as it's integral to getting the most out of Automata, is that true? Since I heard that Automata is mostly standalone. I'd have to resurrect my PS3 for it and it's possible the game may be a bit dated now. On the other hand, there is the supposed great soundtrack to look forward too. Gut choice for me would be to jump into Automata immediately...

You don't need to play the first nier, but if you can there isn't much of a reason not to because its an amazing game

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Glad to hear it's resonating with Xbox players. I want Nier to become a massive pillar in Square Enix's Future plans. Huge sales on all platforms would be great :)