• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, just based on what I'm seeing the dudes up high in AEW saying, there's almost no way they haven't approached Maki Itoh on some level.

I just can't see that not happening.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Maki Itoh is the dril of pro wrestling.

I'm sorry, but it's Hangman since he adopts the apathetic "tweet everything in lower case letters in all my takes so I don't come off too serious" sort of thing going on that dril and then subsequently everyone on Earth started doing.

rip shift button

Last edited:

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I really enjoyed the night overall

Veny/Emi was absolutely fantastic. Two absolute pros, and I would love to see more of Veny. Emi works so much better as a heel and seemed to be working at a different gear compared to her prior AEW stuff

Itoh/Mizunami was pretty damn fun. No doubt in my mind that Itoh would be a star in the U.S. Mizunami did a fantastic job with her facials and was a great foil to Itoh.

I actually thought Yuka/Mei was the weakest match of the night. It wasn't bad at all, but there were a few rough spots here and there.

I thought Aja looked better here than she did back at DoN 2019. She looks more mobile now, and she still has this aura to me. I was worried that she'd be too broken down, but she is going to serve her role well in this tournament if tonight is anything to go by.

Overall, it was a fun show, and I'd be shocked if we don't see Veny and Itoh again in the future.

Smerdyakov

Nov 13, 2017
Emi Sakura vs Veny was a fantastic match. Emi is in great shape and is clearly motivated to show off what she's capable of to a bigger audience. Mei vs Yuka wasn't bad but I feel could be much better if they work together more and get a better feel for each other's timing. Big fan of Ryo Mizunami, with her theatrics I think she could get over big in front of a crowd. Same for Itoh. Aja Kong still has a good presence even if she can't work how she used to, and in a way it's kinda cool that when she takes a bump, it feels like a big deal.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i've still got such a huge smile. that was so much fun. they all did such a good job and are so easy to cheer for.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Seriously, we all agree that Veny vs. Emi was 4 stars at least, right? Such a hard-hitting match with a lot of drama.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Shocked ppl are going on about the predictability.

I thought this whole tourney was going to end up pretty predictable with Britt vs Yuka as the finals. But I guess that never bothered me as long as the wrestling was good and it has been so far.

Plus, it seems pretty clear that they know how Maki etc would be received. I expect to see her sooner rather than later tbh.

Britt vs. Yuka was my prediction, but I thought they'd at least let Veny and Maki make it to the second round. AEW in general is pretty predictable and I think that's fine because if you're telling a story it should never be a swerve for a swerve's sake.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
My favorite match was actually the first one. VENY has had better matches, IMO, but it was still awesome. Itoh and Ryo were booming with charisma, while Aja did a lot more than I thought she would.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, I never understood the hype for Emi based on her prior AEW matches. This one though? I get it now.

Also sign Veny, I cannot stress that enough.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like when Emi was on Dynamite it was a watered down version of herself. Tonight showed people what she's really capable of.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized Maki would totally fit in with the old join dark order vignettes. Failed pop idol who forces others to join her own social club. Extremely charismatic but can't seem to clench the big one to the point where she becomes almost nihilistic.

I do wanna stress that everyone looked awesome tonight. Rio was awesome as hell and a good foil to Maki.I now see what's awesome about Emi Sakura and Aja Kong put it some effort and looked badass but not in a lazy way.

come on TK.Do some more emotional booking some flights huh lol

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite match was actually the first one. VENY has had better matches, IMO, but it was still awesome. Itoh and Ryo were booming with charisma, while Aja did a lot more than I thought she would.
yeah, I'm really excited for more folk to see more of veny. i thought today's match was a perfect introduction, but do agree that they are even better than what folk saw. crazy high potential.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, we all agree that Veny vs. Emi was 4 stars at least, right? Such a hard-hitting match with a lot of drama.

My fav on the night, but I loved the whole card. Emi's gimmick pretty much had go away heat with me coming in from her last AE-Dub run but warrior queen Emi won me over almost instantly. By the end of the match I wanted to see so much more of her and Veny. They worked their asses off.

No losers tonight. Everyone crushed it.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This was just great. I could've watched Emi and Veny go for another 30 mins. Both are just awesome. Bummer we won't see Maki in the next round but she'll eventually have her time to shine in AEW, I just know it. Still super excited for the next round although it doesn't seem like any surprises are going to happen in the booking but sometimes if the booking is predictable because it makes sense.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
That was an entertaining hour of wrestling. I agree with many that Sakura/Veny was the best match, although all had something to offer. Excalibur did a great job calling the whole thing solo, definitely not an easy task.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
I am sure that the majority of the fans in here were already huge Yuka/Miyu/Mizuki/Itoh fans prior to this... but for those that are just now joining us, these are well worth checking out.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I hope they sign Mei, Maki and Veny. I was pleasantly surprised tonight (although I am still bummed that Maki didn't advance). This was way better than I thought it would be. Thanks, TK!

Oct 27, 2017
NY
With the visa situation the way that it is. It wasn't hard to predict the winners of the first round. They are working with people they have already employed.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty enjoyable hour. Emi Sakura v.s. Veny was my MOTN. A little disappointed the more experienced wrestlers all won but I kinda expected that.

Oct 27, 2017
Literally heartbroken that not even one of the wrestlers I was rooting for made it to the 2nd round. But I enjoyed every match so much. That was really good.

My favorite match was that Rin Kadokura vs Aja Kong. It was so old school. Rin tried so hard but she just couldn't take out the giant. I hope we get to see her again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
time to change the thread title I guess lol
giphy.gif

Hybrid Hunter

May 9, 2018
Sydney, Australia
No need to change the title thread. I'm sure they're working on getting for Maki for us, even more so after the reception from today's tournament matches.

Pandemic and Visa issues would slow down what we want though, but it's good for the outlook of the women's division.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
i have zero doubt that after tonight AEW won't bring back both VENY and Itoh in some capacity. at least, so long as they don't get picked up by someone else.
I jested in that last post. There's no way they won't be at AEW some time in the future.

All four were great matches with those two losers beinng the highlight.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I could be totally off and somehow they have a history of abuse or some wild shit, but the whole Gatoh Move promotion seems like a really warm, cozy atmosphere.

I can really appreciate that.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
WWE said they were getting out of the business of hoarding wrestlers and never doing shit with them. I don't think Maki would be on their radar, and I also think Tony K has that possibility covered.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I'm sorry, but it's Hangman since he adopts the apathetic "tweet everything in lower case letters in all my takes so I don't come off too serious" sort of thing going on that dril and then subsequently everyone on Earth started doing.
i feel attacked
swear to fucking god if wwe manages to snap up itoh. i will lose my mind.
Oh when he doesn't want his favourite wrestler to go to WWE, it's fine.

But when I do it, I have to put up with never ending cyber bullying and CURSED photoshops and avatars. This community!

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That was really fun

Maki Itoh is as advertised. Very entertaining to watch.

Rin Kadokura also impressed me.

Really, the whole thing was cool and everyone was quite good. I'm not experienced with any of them (aside from the magical girl and her AEW appearances) and that's a big part of why I enjoyed it.

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
lol i saw thunder rosa's blog on youtube -- the morning before her match with Maki Itoh. She said her husband's favorite wrestler is Maki Itoh, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.