• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
I think the fact Rihos not really been involved in any storyline really makes her appear less active a member of the roster. Other than her being a piece of that horrible Statlander NC storyline, she's only had basic matches against random women on win streaks.

Even her versus her mentor wasn't a full storyline

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
yet even when guys like Nakamura and AJ Styles carry those titles they still feel largely unimportant to me and honestly it often feels like they're unimportant to WWE.

That's not really a problem with midcard titles, that's just a WWE problem. They turned their mid card belts into props a long time ago. They mean nothing.

Also with wins/loses building up to world title shots in AEW I think that progression gets messier with a mid card title.

I definitely agree with this part. If they introduced a midcard belt right now, the matches it would take to win the belt and then defend it a few times, by record that guy should be ranked #1 in their rankings. So if the midcard champion gets easily positioned where they're the #1 contender for the main title, it seems like a midcard belt isn't really necessary, especially with them highlighting rankings. They don't have a big enough roster to have a mid card belt yet IMO.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I think the fact Rihos not really been involved in any storyline really makes her appear less active a member of the roster. Other than her being a piece of that horrible Statlander NC storyline, she's only had basic matches against random women on win streaks.

Even her versus her mentor wasn't a full storyline

Agree with that. I think she's been a good "fighting champion" but they haven't made much effort to give her or most of the women's wrestlers much of a storyline. Contrast that with the various top men's feuds they've had. They haven't put in anywhere near the care with any of the women's feuds.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed on all counts. They've been doing a good job of building up Nyla as the monster of the division since her attack on Shanna back in November. Hope that's her role.

Does she win the title tomorrow? Would be a bad look to get pinned 3 times by the same wrestler.
I'm thinking Nyla probably wins tomorrow. They've been building her up too strong lately, and they've already had Riho pin her twice. I guess they could have Riho get another fluke win, have Nyla snap and then someone like Shida comes out to protect Riho and set up a new feud for Nyla, but I think it's also a fine time to shift gears in their women's division.
Nyla's build to this title match has been weird. It doesn't feel natural, I guess? I dunno. I will be rooting for her pretty hard though.

The only way I see Nyla going over Riho tomorrow is if Baker interferes. Even then I agree with CharGP02A that this title match build has been weird as it's very abrupt which to me feels like a title change isn't happening tomorrow. I get that they have history so the match doesn't need a ton of build but I feel like there would be more of a build than this if the title was changing hands. I guess if Riho comes out to the ring tomorrow carrying a belt that's ten sizes too big for her we'll have our answer. lol
She had two matches on Dynamite in January, one on the Jericho Cruise that was on AEW Dark, and was at the Cleveland show two weeks ago and didn't wrestle. She's on AEW Dark tonight (taped last week).

The only show she's missed is the January 15th one in Miami since the beginning of the year.

Honestly, I think her absence just feels more apparent because she's the champ and having her just cut some promos or video packages like Jericho does on nights he's not wrestling isn't really an option for her. People calling Riho's title reign a disaster feels a little over dramatic to me but I do think it's a mistake to have your champion work elsewhere for 1.5-2 months. If she didn't have the belt her working elsewhere for so long would be a non-issue.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
The "Mid card" belts should have some stipulations to it to explain why not everyone is chasing it as a stepping stone, such as an Under 30s belt

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
The only way I see Nyla going over Riho tomorrow is if Baker interferes. Even then I agree with CharGP02A that this title match build has been weird as it's very abrupt which to me feels like a title change isn't happening tomorrow. I get that they have history so the match doesn't need a ton of build but I feel like there would be more of a build than this if the title was changing hands. I guess if Riho comes out to the ring tomorrow carrying a belt that's ten sizes too big for her we'll have our answer. lol

I think the build of Nyla has been going on for a while, though. I think she's only lost one match since Riho beat her, and it was the four way on New Year's day. I agree the match itself was announced fairly abruptly, which may be a signal that they're going to get out of a title change in some way. Based on the way they've booked Nyla over the last several months, I wouldn't be surprised if she wins, though.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
It's nice to feel surprised either way. I don't actually know how Nyla vs. Riho is going to go. Same with Kenny and Page vs. SCU. That's tomorrow too, right?

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Damn, lots a AEW news the past couple of days. I need to catch up!

Glad they dropped NC, I won't belabor the point, but I ultimately think Dark Order and NC were way too redundant and the crowd only has patience to watch one build. Besides, Brandi is way to talented to pigeonhole herself into a weird heel role like that. Excited to see what she does next.

As far as the women's title goes, I hope they give Nyla the belt on Wednesday. Have Britt cost Riho the title, set up a match between the two at Revolution and then have Nyla vs. Statlander or Nyla vs. Shanna on the card as well. Nyla's monster gimmick will bring some much needed focus to the belt and set up a Brock Lesnar style angle of everyone in the division gunning to take down the beast.

For the new belt, I hope it's something conceptual, like a Triple Threat Championship or a Ladder Match Champ (totally making that shit up) or a Lights Out Belt. I agree with a lot of y'all about you don't want to make it feel like a Mid-Card belt. Make it be something that's a challenge, but not some corny ass shit like the 24/7 title. A women's tag belt is a no brainer. I hope that happens by Double or Nothing.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
That's not really a problem with midcard titles, that's just a WWE problem. They turned their mid card belts into props a long time ago. They mean nothing.

I definitely agree with this part. If they introduced a midcard belt right now, the matches it would take to win the belt and then defend it a few times, by record that guy should be ranked #1 in their rankings. So if the midcard champion gets easily positioned where they're the #1 contender for the main title, it seems like a midcard belt isn't really necessary, especially with them highlighting rankings. They don't have a big enough roster to have a mid card belt yet IMO.

I get that's a WWE problem but them having that issue kind of made me realize that a mid card belt really isn't important to me. Having a championship on the line can add to the proceedings and it can act as something of a shortcut for solid pro wrestling story telling but world titles tend to mean the most to me at this point and in kayfabe they're the belts that make the most sense to me. Also, people make such a big deal about mid card belts but there's yet to be any women's mid card belts at any major companies.
I think the build of Nyla has been going on for a while, though. I think she's only lost one match since Riho beat her, and it was the four way on New Year's day. I agree the match itself was announced fairly abruptly, which may be a signal that they're going to get out of a title change in some way. Based on the way they've booked Nyla over the last several months, I wouldn't be surprised if she wins, though.

Yeah but her build intersecting with Riho feels abrupt to me. Between Britt calling out Riho in some of her promos and now Britt's recent attack on Yuka I feel like Britt V Riho for the women's title at Revolution is their end game. Though I think there's an outside chance that Riho drops the belt to Nyla due to interference from Britt. So either way, I think Britt V Riho at Revolution is inevitable but there's a very slim outside chance that it won't be for the title.

Last edited:

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
What I think could work is Britt comes out to interfere, to cause fuckery, but Riho perseveres, avoids or manuvers around the interference and uses one of her surprise roll up pins. Nyla gets pissed and tries to put Riho through another table, out comes Shanna to stop it.

So Britt and Riho strengthen the feud, Shanna and Nyla on their way to end it at Revolution.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
What I think could work is Britt comes out to interfere, to cause fuckery, but Riho perseveres, avoids or manuvers around the interference and uses one of her surprise roll up pins. Nyla gets pissed and tries to put Riho through another table, out comes Shanna to stop it.

So Britt and Riho strengthen the feud, Shanna and Nyla on their way to end it at Revolution.

I could see that too. Possibly set up a tag match for prior to Revolution? I guess my point being that the only way Riho loses tomorrow is by Britt Baker interfering. I just don't see Nyla getting the clean win.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
I could see that too. Possibly set up a tag match for prior to Revolution? I guess my point being that the only way Riho loses tomorrow is by Britt Baker interfering. I just don't see Nyla getting the clean win.
It'd be a good way to protect all four of them, put them all in a tag match so it's not directly a singles, since you wanna get it warmed up for the ppv. Nyla does well being a monster in those matches by using specific spots, Britt's shortcomings aren't as prominent since it'll be limited and Shanna and Riho can still shine in moments.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear Cody isn't a fan of midcard stepping stone style titles like the US or IC title.

Hopefully the next singles belt has an interesting hook that will avoid making it become that.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

Shanna getting involved almost seems like a given after this tweet last week...

Then again, I'm not crazy about more fuckery in a women's title match. :-/ We'll see how it plays out.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Glad to hear Cody isn't a fan of midcard stepping stone style titles like the US or IC title.

Hopefully the next singles belt has an interesting hook that will avoid making it become that.

The ROH Pure title was great for this. I hope it's something like that. Not exactly the same thing, but something that has a clear distinction from the main championship but still feels important and desirable on its own.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I'm not sure they're building to any specific match for Baker. She's targeted Riho in her promos but also JR and Schiavone but obviously she's not building to a match with them. I think it could just as easily be she's going after beloved figures to get heel heat. Building her up as a title contender doesn't seem to be the short term goal, considering they just had her lose last week. This is all character building stuff.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Time to bring back the WCW Television Title to take advantage of the time limits.

Possible names:

AEW Television Championship
AEW Primetime Championship
AEW Nilsson Championship (j/k)

Either way, a TV title is a pretty good idea.

Or the AEW Pure Championship with hard old-school rules like no over-the-top-rope throwing or climbing the turnbuckles. More of a grappling and slapping meat title. And just make it so ANYONE can challenge for it. No rankings need be taken into consideration.

Last edited:

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Yeah but her build intersecting with Riho feels abrupt to me. Between Britt calling out Riho in some of her promos and now Britt's recent attack on Yuka I feel like Britt V Riho for the women's title at Revolution is their end game. Though I think there's an outside chance that Riho drops the belt to Nyla due to interference from Britt. So either way, I think Britt V Riho at Revolution is inevitable but there's a very slim outside chance that it won't be for the title.

I think like somebody else pointed out, part of it is that Nyla/Riho has been going on in some form since the summer time. They were in a match together at Fyter Fest, then the first women's title match in October, then the four way title match on Jan 1 after which Nyla put her through a table. They've been crossing paths essentially for AEW's entire existence at this point.

I think my current expectation is Nyla wins tomorrow, and they build towards Nyla vs Shida next at the PPV. Shida's getting built up lately and they've already teased some moments between them in the four way match.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Maybe it's because she documents her journey more, but Shida seems to be putting in a ton of work into AEW. She feels very committed. She still needs a liiiiiittle something to connect a bit more to the crowd, but she's almost there.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Maybe it's because she documents her journey more, but Shida seems to be putting in a ton of work into AEW. She feels very committed. I think she still needs a liiiiiittle something to connect a bit more to the crowd, but she's almost there.
Her entrance music being changed would legitimately help a lot. It's not conducive to a pop. It starts out wayyyyyyy too slow.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Maybe it's because she documents her journey more, but Shida seems to be putting in a ton of work into AEW. She feels very committed. She still needs a liiiiiittle something to connect a bit more to the crowd, but she's almost there.

I think part of the difference is that Shida is the only one of the joshi that is exclusive to them. Everybody else is continuing commitments in Japan.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
If Riho still continues commitments in Japan, take the title off her at the ppv and start really building up the women that have momentum now like Swole, Stat and Shanna. Britt, Shida and Nyla are already in the main picture so losing Riho wouldn't be a major blow.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Can we not have interference in the women's title match again?

This can be done well. One shot from Shanna to Nyla on the outside would do it. It will be forgivable if Riho and Nyla have a good match before then. I think we are traumatized from the overbooked clustermuck the last time there was a title match and the NC got involved.

Jan 10, 2018
I gonna try something crazy. I gonna trust AEW. All the title matches, except the one where a now buried fraction intervened, were rock solid up to stellar.

Some of you are way too impatient and nervous about booking. Get WWE out of your head.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
Make a midcard title but go the route of crazy belt names like Dragon Gate.

The US title but its the American Dream Championship, and when Cody wins he renames it the American Nightmare Belt

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Not sure of the source here. Assuming it's the Observer. Dave mentioned in a forum rant on Cornette that AEW drew below 3,000 for the first time ever in Huntsville last week but that they're still doing well.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Not sure of the source here. Assuming it's the Observer. Dave mentioned in a forum rant on Cornette that AEW drew below 3,000 for the first time ever in Huntsville last week but that they're still doing well.

I always figured Alabama would be their smallest crowd. They were still fucking hype and made that show a lot better.

The low Memphis turnout is still surprising to me.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Luchasaurus, Butcher, Hager, Wardlow with Brodie, Cage and Archer on the horizon

AEW are clearly setting things up for a big boy championship