• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Boze Man

Oct 27, 2017
Bozeman, MT
Sorry to see a lot of you down on the show. It was great live and it didn't feel like I was in the same seat for almost 6 hours.

How did Martha Hart's speech come off on TV? She was hard to hear in the arena but a few people in my section kind of agreed we were getting a condensed version of an Owen Hall of Fame induction speech.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
That was my first AEW ppv and I liked it, clearly I caught one of the weaker ones, but much like the good old Takeovers (RIP) even the weaker ones are still better than the shit WWE puts out so...

Some of the booking was weird even for me who isnt as familiar with the stories and whatnot, it was WAY too long (if we shit on those stupid wrestlemanias for that reason you bet I'll shit on it here too, just too long man), and the stuff up to House of Black match wasnt very good, but overall, I had fun.

Oh and the lack of any Forbidden Door teases was bizarre to me as a layman. Well I guess there was the Rush thing.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
How did Martha Hart's speech come off on TV? She was hard to hear in the arena but a few people in my section kind of agreed we were getting a condensed version of an Owen Hall of Fame induction speech.

honestly couldn't imagine it being any better. sometimes it's about brevity, wit, etc. she got the passion across and that's what mattered.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to see a lot of you down on the show. It was great live and it didn't feel like I was in the same seat for almost 6 hours.

Don't be bothered by the Era bubble, my friends who watched it all loved it. It was an amazing night and hte overwhelming reaction on social media is excellent.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017

It was probably better live that for sure.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back to the AirBnb but this is the best wrestling event I've ever been to live. Just glad to finally experience AEW in person.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
-Wardlow's squash was fun. No fuckery, straight to the point.
-Anarchy in the Arena was also fun, but a bit too chaotic (yes I know that's the point) it was hard to follow and enjoy the action at times with all these cuts. Some split screen would have helped.
-Surprised Jungle Express won the tag match, I was ready to see Team Taz taking the gold. I guess FTR are winning the belts.
-AEW Title match was alright, a bit sloppy. CM Punk mooning the crowd.

Haven't watched the other matches since I didn't really find them appealing. Maybe I'll check House of Black/Death Triangle.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Now that everyone is healthy and their match is done, House of Black and Death Triangle need to go their separate ways and start getting better creative. Way too much talent in those 6

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
JR: I know he's (STARK) athletic.....charismatic

Stark falls of from his tight rope walk.

JR: this makes him look like an idiot

🤣

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sadly not everyone is healthy after tonight's show, MJFs eyes are still lacking oxygen

FT9zpM1XsAEaVeG

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Deeb/Rosa was a very important moment in AEW women's history. The Rosa/Britt lights out match was universally considered the best women's match in AEW history, but that was an entirely different animal. It was a car crash spot match. Don't get me wrong, it was great, extremely fun and entertaining, but it wasn't this. This was a technical women's showcase that has never been seen on AEW PPV, and that's a huge deal for credibility

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Deeb/Rosa was a very important moment in AEW women's history. The Rosa/Britt lights out match was universally considered the best women's match in AEW history, but that was an entirely different animal. It was a car crash spot match. Don't get me wrong, it was great, extremely fun and entertaining, but it wasn't this. This was a technical women's showcase that has never been seen on AEW PPV, and that's a huge deal for credibility
It's definitely the best women's match AEW ever had and it's gonna be a tough act to follow.

Oct 8, 2019
I have a VERY hard time believing what SRS said MJF told him. I don't believe AEW continued to advertise a match and just trusted MJF to show up last minute when the call time is usually 4 hours before the show. He no-showed the meet and greet, that is directly fucking with your customers. Now you are just rolling with taking a chance on him showing up last minute? Something is fishy here

I think what happened is this

MJF signs with AEW, for most likely a low wage, as the show starts off hot, he gets a contract extension, MJF becomes a major draw, and looks like his the future top heel of the company.

Then Vince Mcmahon pissed that Dynamite got better ratings than NXT (WWE's C show) basically strips Triple H of all powers, starts mass firing people, and transforms NXT into a goofy show with mob bosses, and other gimmicks.

Now all of a sudden those people Vince fired are all coming into AEW all fighting for a spot, they then finally make a deal to bring in CM Punk, and bring in legendary wrestler Bryan Danielson and more importantly AEW brings in Adam Cole, a guy MJF outdrew head to head. MJF was the person fans wanted to see over Adam Cole, but Adam Cole gets pushed because his friends with the Young Bucks, and he was a major part of NXT for years.

Now you went from being the next top heel to getting squashed by your sidekick. You're looking at future plans, and you're not the top draw you were 2 years ago, there's now significantly more competition from ex-WWE talent, and they have way more going for them.

What's next for MJF? Go back to try to reform the Pinnacle? A stable that never quite matched the hype of "AEW's version of the four horseman." Try to form a tag team with Orange Cassidy and go after all these ex-WWE talent? Go after CM Punk? They are clearly not positioning that match anytime soon.

I dont see him as a top star anytime soon. If your MJF your looking at aleast 6 months of rebuilding, and thats if they push him super strong which given the amount of talent coming into AEW isnt likely.

I sympathize with MJF because he was a top star in 2000 when AEW was beating NXT weekly, now all these guys he outdrew are coming in and need pushes too, and there's only so many spots for pushes.

Here's the thing that, truck with the small advertisement wasnt aimed at the fans, it was aimed at the wrestlers, saying "Tony khan treated Cody Rhodes like shit, and then Cody Rhodes returned at Wrestlemania and gets treated like a big deal by Vince, sign with WWE to be treated like a big deal again"

Shady

Oct 28, 2017
Entertaining ppv with a couple of filler matches which could have headlined Rampage instead.

One thing I found disappointing was that the presentation was like any other Dynamite. Really wish AEW would go out of their way to present their ppvs differently than their weekly shows.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
I thought about half of the show was pretty middling and half of it was great.

MJF-Wardlow was what it needed to be, though not super exciting outside of its job in completing the storyline. Hardys vs. Bucks was fun enough. House of Black vs. Death Triangle was terrific, maybe match of the night. Women's title match was really good. Tag title match was a ton of fun. Anarchy match was fucking great, and I usually find AEW's extreme/blood-and-guts type stuff to be really lame. Page-Punk was solid outside of Punk's botched Buckshot Lariat attempts.

Most everything else was really just "fine." Nothing bad on the show, but a lot of stuff that didn't particularly stand out. A few matches like Darby vs. KOR truly didn't need to be on the card at all. Could have easily been a Rampage main event or something, aside from giving those guys a PPV pay day.

Overall, card was just too big, and the really good stuff was largely backloaded on an overly long show.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Just finished. PPV was ok but not the best I have seen from AEW.

I don't agree with putting the belt on Punk, he doesn't need it, would rather have someone younger take the belt from Hangman.

Before this the obvious move would have been for MJF to challenge Punk for the belt, but that won't be happening given MJF's recent actions.

Last edited:

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
This show was pretty much just the main event for me. I didn't care for much else going in and the actual show didn't change my mind.

I also wish these shows would be shorter

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Hookhausen vs Nese & Sterling

Short and sweet little hype match

MJF vs Wardlow

Not gonna lie, a week ago I was wanting this to be a real match, back and forth with sports entertainment BS, MJF pulling out all the stops. After the events of the last 24 hours I'm just glad the match even happened. It was basically a squash, MJF got exactly what he deserved. I was satisfied and judging by his face coming out I'm guessing this was the last time we'll see MJF in AEW for a good while.

Young Bucks vs The Hardys

It's 2022 and it's clear the Hardys can't go as hard as they used to but thanks to the Bucks I really enjoyed this, more so the second half when things started to ramp up and everyone was doing the others moves. Now let Jeff Hardy have a rest FFS.

Jade vs Anna

I thought Jade looked good here but, gut feeling, this wasn't as good as their Rampage match from earlier this year.

Cole vs Joe

It was good but it wasn't up to the level I was expecting from these two, and while Joe is more limited now, it wasn't down to that because I thought his match with KOR was better than this, it was just too samey for too long. Right man won.

Britt vs Ruby

I thought it was fine, while I would've preferred Ruby won I'm not as down on Britt as others, it's a safe choice. I really enjoyed the trophy presentation with Martha.

Death Triangle vs House of Black

The best thing on the show at this point, god damn this was fantastic, wild shit, everyone brought their working boots. It's been nuts seeing people on here say for weeks now "why are they still doing DT and HoB? Move on!" THIS WAS FUCKING WHY. Yes it got dragged out but I'm glad TK showed some patience and loyalty to these guys and gave them the opportunity to give us the match they would've given us 3 months ago.

MOTY & PVZ vs Sammy, Tay & Kazarian

Sammy should keep the cape
PVZ looked alright for her first match
Thank fuck this feud is over

Darby vs KOR

Low key best match on the show, a last minute addition but these guys went out to make sure you remembered them, they went hard and fast, Darby almost died *surprised face*. KOR is on a roll lately, banger after banger.

Rosa vs Deeb

Best AEW womens match for a long time. Rosa clearly full healed from whatever injury was bothering her during the Britt feud. These two have fantastic chemistry together and I hope we get to see this run back. Also awesome to hear an AEW crowd give a shit about a womens match. They were into Jade earlier and liked Britt and Ruby but you could tell they actually appreciated the work here, not just the people.

Anarchy In The Arena

Well it was just nuts wasn't it? There was no comedy to it but it felt like a live version of Stadium Stampede with everyone going their separate ways and having battles all over the arena. So much to recap. Loved the music continuing to play. Loved bloodied Eddie emerging from the tunnel with the gas can like an unstoppable horror movie monster. I don't know if it was intention but Danielson was basically dressed as Mad Dog from The Raid lol.

Three way for the Tag Titles

Much like the previous match, it was just nuts, non-stop action, unpredictable with for me a surprising winner. I have no idea who takes the titles next.

Hangman vs Punk

Not the best AEW main event match by in-ring standards but very enjoyable and it felt like a big deal with the crowd playing a major part of that, split down the middle. Hangman was awesome as a pseudo heel, I didn't think Punk would win but I'm not surprised he did either. You can't go wrong going with either guy and knowing that Punk was TK's theoretical #1 pick for AEW, well it makes even more sense he went this way. I think Hangman's reign has felt lesser due to no real engaging storylines but I cannot fault his matches and the effort he puts into them. With Punk now holding the title, I feel like we'll actually get better storylines at least. If the Hangman feud is over anyway.

There was definitely some stuff from the show that could've been cut & I think the match lineup was way lopsided with most of the best matches coming in the second half. I think the main issue for me is the Owen Finals just didn't live up to the hype. I expected more from Joe and Cole. At the same time
Britt's best AEW match was her title defence against Statlander and we could've run that back here but went with Ruby instead and it was just fine. I can see people being down on this show but for me there was seven matches I really enjoyed with at least three of those being MOTY contenders + the super satisfying ending to the MJF/Wardlow feud. Oh and some cool new signings were revealed in Athena, Rush and Stokely, wah wah roster is too big wah wah, putting aside adding more diversity to the roster, none of these guys are just taking up a spot, they fill a particular niche.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It definitely finished strong... but yeah probably their second weakest after the one where Matt Hardy nearly died and I couldn't get into much of anything that happened afterwards.

Nothing was bad to me, but maybe half of the matches felt like a decent match you might see on Dynamite (and even then, not an opener or main event).

That might sound like a complaint, but it isn't. The other half of the matches were the kind of high level stuff AEW normally put on in these moments. I didn't get every prediction right (I was convinced JB and Luchasaurus were winning, same with Ruby) but Deeb and Rosa absolutely tore down the house as I knew they would. I don't know if it's my favorite women's match (lights out between Baker and Rosa was so so good), but it's definitely my favorite 1 vs 1 wrestling match the women have had.

The crowd were definitely one of the best things about the show. They were there to show how pissed at MJF they were but to otherwise have a good time, and they sure did.

Like you can go into Bucks vs Hardys ready to criticise Matt and Jeff for not being what they were in their prime, or ready to enjoy seeing two of the best teams to ever do it finally lock up. Matt and Jeff gave it their all. That isn't what it used to be, but I'm so glad the crowd seemed to get that, and they popped for every moment all the same.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
No clue what MOTN was, but biggest surprise of the night for me was KOR/Darby. I figured that was throw on the card as a "let's get Darby a win on PPV" match. Not only was it good, the right wrassler won. In a company stacked with good workers KOR stands out as something unique. Hell, even his charisma is unique.

Biggest bummer was the Jade/Anna match. Match itself was the only thing I would call bad on the card and I wasn't feeling the debuts. And yes, I fully acknowledge that comes from a place of ignorance. As someone with little (Athena) to no (Stokely) prior experience with these performers, having Jade finally breaking away from having a mouthpiece feels like the way it should've gone (she doesn't need one at this point) and Stat/Jade tease should've been the post-match angle. Crowd was hot for Stat on Friday and they would've been even hotter for the stare down now. Instead, she got pushed aside to Velvet while Jade squared up to yet another opponent who doesn't come close to matching her physical presence. Sending Athena out to even the odds? Fine. But they made Stat look like a chump in that segment in favor of yet another new signing.

I think what happened is this

MJF signs with AEW, for most likely a low wage, as the show starts off hot, he gets a contract extension, MJF becomes a major draw, and looks like his the future top heel of the company.

Then Vince Mcmahon pissed that Dynamite got better ratings than NXT (WWE's C show) basically strips Triple H of all powers, starts mass firing people, and transforms NXT into a goofy show with mob bosses, and other gimmicks.

Now all of a sudden those people Vince fired are all coming into AEW all fighting for a spot, they then finally make a deal to bring in CM Punk, and bring in legendary wrestler Bryan Danielson and more importantly AEW brings in Adam Cole, a guy MJF outdrew head to head. MJF was the person fans wanted to see over Adam Cole, but Adam Cole gets pushed because his friends with the Young Bucks, and he was a major part of NXT for years.

Now you went from being the next top heel to getting squashed by your sidekick. You're looking at future plans, and you're not the top draw you were 2 years ago, there's now significantly more competition from ex-WWE talent, and they have way more going for them.

What's next for MJF? Go back to try to reform the Pinnacle? A stable that never quite matched the hype of "AEW's version of the four horseman." Try to form a tag team with Orange Cassidy and go after all these ex-WWE talent? Go after CM Punk? They are clearly not positioning that match anytime soon.

I dont see him as a top star anytime soon. If your MJF your looking at aleast 6 months of rebuilding, and thats if they push him super strong which given the amount of talent coming into AEW isnt likely.

I sympathize with MJF because he was a top star in 2000 when AEW was beating NXT weekly, now all these guys he outdrew are coming in and need pushes too, and there's only so many spots for pushes.

Here's the thing that, truck with the small advertisement wasnt aimed at the fans, it was aimed at the wrestlers, saying "Tony khan treated Cody Rhodes like shit, and then Cody Rhodes returned at Wrestlemania and gets treated like a big deal by Vince, sign with WWE to be treated like a big deal again"

What a weird, mark-ish post. What do they have to "rebuild?" MJF's music hits on Wednesday and guaranteed he gets the best heel reaction of the night. Dude can go in the ring, but he's 99% character and that character is bulletproof. He can work a feud against literally anyone and it feels like one of the biggest programs on the show. That's where his value is.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
It was too late for me, so I'm going through the PPV now.

Glad to see Hook showing a bit of friendship giving Danhausen the pin..Anna Jay/Jade was alright, but what's coming next... Kris and Athena's gonna boost that women's work rate 10-fold.

My gosh. What did they do to this man?
Put in an endless supply of Seth Rollins and The Miz matches.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Well... that House of Black vs Death Triangle match explains a lot, namely why it took so long to pull the trigger on Julia Hart. I bet this was the plan for Revolutuin.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Just starting the main event now, and I feel like it's been kind of a weird PPV so far. It's been mixed, but in a way where the good has been insanely fantastic and the bad has either been super boring or plain bad. Maffew is going to have a lot of content for the next episode of Botchamania.

Been following the thread as it's been on, and it's interesting to see that a lot of you folks thought exactly as I did, that the MJF squash absolutely screamed 'wrestlers exit'. Definitely seems like he's done, so the next week or so will be really interesting.

I skipped the Cole/Joe and Britt/Ruby matches, and it sounds like I maybe made the right choice. I did watch the presentation though and I thought they did a really good job with it.

My favourite moments where I popped hard:

- ATHENA!
- Kazarian going fuck this shit, right as I was thinking fuck this shit
- That god damn awesome trios match... JULIA BLACKHART!
- Darby choosing to diving headbutt the floor for some reason
- Rosa/Deeb was great
- RUSH!
- The whole of Anarchy in the Arena, but especially for Jericho cutting the music and Punished Eddie.

Not super looking forward to the Hangman/Punk match as I don't really vibe with Punk matches in general, but I'm hoping I'm pleasantly surprised by it.

EDIT: Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh fuck that result

Last edited:

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Botch fest boring overly long PPV with some horrible winners (both Owen Hart cup winners were the wrong picks). Thunder Rosa and Deeb was the only saving grace for this show

Thankfully I didn't watch this live

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020
Definitely not my fav AEW ppv, too long and some of the matches should have just been a Dynamite match.

Enjoyable watch overall though, Anarchy in The Arena was stupidly fun.

Neo-Saiyan

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, UK
ECDUB
ECDUB
ECDUB

KEEP THE MUSIC ON

I like this fighting while the music this going

Im dying at the music still going.

I love the music still playing

The fact that Wild thing is still playing is making me laugh my ass off

Just keep playing the music

fighting while the music is still going is funny AF and incredibly fitting hahaha

It's like them old Smackdown games with the background music during matches! 🤣

Shut up Jericho! 😝

Lowkey20

Nov 18, 2020
I was surprised Jurassic Express retained. They really need to move on from them. Nothing against them but they've done nothing of interest since winning the belts. They've felt like an afterthought in their own division. Seems like they gave them their push to get over that top and win the belts but really had no long term storyline for them. I guess the eventual Christian turn is the only thing. I just hope that comes sooner rather than later because their title reign has simply been boring and uninspired.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I think Punk had to win for the storyline to go where I think it's going. Hangman warned us about what Punk's reign would mean for AEW and now he looks like the paranoid one because he almost turned heel in the match to stop what he thinks is now coming. It will make Punk's turn even better when everyone realizes Hangman was right. And then hopefully Eddie is the one to finally save AEW from Punk.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely feel deflated about Page losing and that put a real damper on the show for me.

I think Punk had to win for the storyline to go where I think it's going. Hangman warned us about what Punk's reign would mean for AEW and now he looks like the paranoid one because he almost turned heel in the match to stop what he thinks is now coming. It will make Punk's turn even better when everyone realizes Hangman was right. And then hopefully Eddie is the one to finally save AEW from Punk.

Although now I'm excited for this, if it's the path they choose.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
As expected, the PPV was a struggle to get through here in Europe and it was packed with matches that could have been on Dynamite or Rampage. I don't know how it will get better in the future if TK has his guys and girls that simply have to be on the card whether they're needed or not and there aren't builds to their matches.

I'm happy for those who have waited for Athena, but her arrival and immediate confrontation with Jade took all of the natural momentum Statlander has built away.My only hope is Athena won't beat Jade because she has a new manager now who has to prove himself first and that Kris will still be the chosen one to beat Cargill.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't want to gum up the main thread, so I'll post my thoughts here on the show. MJF clearly looked like a guy going through the motions on his way to the ring, but once the match started, I think MJF relaxed a little and the match went off really well. I'm not sure if a squash finish was always in the making (and maybe that's why MJF drew his line), but it made Wardlow a legit star. If it is MJF's last ride in AEW, he did what any good wrestler will do, and that's build a new star on their way out.

After that, it felt like the PPV went into Dynamite mode. Personally, I was not a fan of Matt coming in prior, and really was not a fan of Jeff coming in at all. AEW has a great tag division, and the Hardy's are going to suck the air out of the room, which is what's happening here in my opinion. HFO was a flop, it did nothing to build new stars out of that faction (looking at Butcher/Blade, my personal favorite tag team in AEW), and now we're probably going to see the Hardy's be the ones to dethrone JE and get one last ride as tag champs.

Owen finals I was OK with. Cole needed a high profile win, Britt made sense to win with Cole, but I really wanted Ruby to have that spot. She really needed that win, especially after coming up short in title matches, and her feud with Britt. Britt/Cole may have been Martha's picks for the tourney in discussions with TK, who knows. It was really cool to see both Cole/Britt come out of character and you could tell winning this meant a lot to them too. I really hope this gives Martha some good closure on Owen's professional career, since it was never allowed to happen with WWE.

KOR/Allin was good, KOR has had some big wins here recently. He's actually been booked the best out of Undisputed Elite these past few months. Also, KOR, please stop cupping, those salami marks are distracting.

Jade/Athena is going to be interesting, but I'm wondering if its actually going to end up being Statlander in a feud with Jade.

Anarchy in the Arena was insane. Chaotic fun, Eddie channeling Trevor from GTA was awesome. Eddie is the heart of AEW, his passion for his angles are so damn good. He's believable, and someday he needs to get one run w/ the title. Please TK, just one run.

I was surprised to see JE retain, though as I mentioned, I think its because we're on a nostalgia train for the summer. Punk with the AEW title, and the Hardy's are going to be the ones to take it off JE. But, I think in the lead up to JE losing, we're gonna get some sprinkles from Christian on his hatred for the Hardy's, and that he needs JE to do what he never got to do: finish them for good. It won't happen, Christian will turn on JB to kick off that feud.

I'm not shocked at all for Punk's win. Hangman had a great run in hindsight. Yes, it wasn't full of PPV victories, but AEW doesn't have that many PPV's. He had two tremendous matches with Bryan, his match with Archer was fantastic. His match with Cole was great as well. But Punk didn't come to AEW to not get a run with the title. It's going to be a fun summer, and with Punk already putting a lot of his dream matches aside, I'm salivating at Punk/Mox, Punk/Bryan, Punk/Kingston, Punk/Jericho. It's a shame MJF is having his fallout with TK, because MJF taking the strap off Punk I think would have been the plan. I'm thinking Punk holds it until Omega is back.

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
I can't understand the criticism. Me and my buddies had an absolutely fantastic time with this show. Every match was a banger and the crowd was fire all night. Brilliant stuff.