• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of games seek to replicate. A lot of animated films seek to innovate. It's kinda that simple. You don't see a lot of animated films that try to be realistic.
Exactly. And that's mostly because, there's no point. Like, photorealistic CGI films are a complete paradox because why go through the trouble of attempting and usually failing to beat the uncanny valley when you can just film it in live action?

I find video game cinematics/tech demos to be a better comparison.

Like we passed the Samaritan Demo this gen for sure, which was about a decade ago. Or like, which FF CGI are we at? Etc.
I mean if we're talking tech demos than this is an entirely different conversation. Like, UE4 has been used for Star Wars films
lol.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. And that's mostly because, there's no point. Like, photorealistic CGI films are a complete paradox because why go through the trouble of attempting and usually failing to beat the uncanny valley when you can just film it in live action?

I mean if we're talking tech demos than this is an entirely different conversation. Like, UE4 has been used for Star Wars films
lol.
Offline vs real time though.
Tech demos are still real time.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
There will always be peaks and lows. You can't pinpoint where we're at that way.

Anyway, here's Sid.
sid-toy-story-header.jpg
Yeah looks clearly worse than TLOU2

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Offline vs real time though.
Tech demos are still real time.
True but, what can be done with a modern game engine in realtime is still astounding and impressive AF and absolutely comparable to CGI with very few if any of the caveats of realtime rendering. Ignoring the requirement of incredibly strong PCS....

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Hair is one of the most reactive and volatile things we physically have. A real-time engine that has to approximate its appearance and deformation hundreds/thousands of times a second will never approach the quality of any halfway decent pre-rendered CG that can be designed and animated knowing exactly where every strand needs to be at every moment.

Obviously it will get better, but it is the aspect that will always be playing catch-up the most and be the most behind the curve.
No movie is individually placing all its hair though. They set a few key strands, and let computers fill in the rest. Same as games really.

It's amazing to me how far CG movies have come in the last few years. Animators are finally really learning how to make it work.

Games have such a disparity between still shots and motion and FMV and gameplay that I have trouble comparing the two much. I see lots that look fucking fantastic at e3 and then when you finally get to play and realize just how small the sandbox is, or how dumb the physics model is, they really start to look like shit.

Yiazmat

Oct 25, 2017
We have yet to reach 'The Spirits Within' polycount levels, even for main characters:

Final Fantasy: The Technology Within
Extra characters seen in only a few shots or in the far distance would be built with that in mind bringing their total poly count only up to 100k or so. Now in the case of a lead character where their clothing is being simulated dynamically, they are in numerous close up shots, and the smallest of details have to be meticulously modeled, the poly counts jump up to drastically high numbers. Main characters averaged out to a poly count of ~300k. Now considering that this is only clothing, we can't forget the facial geometry (~30k), facial hair such as eyebrows and eyelashes (~20k) as well as hair. Hair being an in-house proprietary software, it's hard to really equate the hair into actual poly counts since it varied depending on the distance from the camera but, a rough estimate would be around 60k or so. There was also a "smoothing" via Renderman Subdivision at render time to prevent any artifacts showing up when the character was rendered at film resolution, which could double the poly counts at times.

2pwj5d.jpg

Last edited:

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
KH3 matches toy story and frozen and tangled perfectly IMO. Sure the reflections of the films on the floor arent there but it is good enough. It overexceeded all expectations on scope and scenes for me and exploration.

Jurassic Park 1 film for me remains the best use of robotics still. IMO.

All this being said, for me the standard was always FF Spirits Within and FF Advent Children complete on blu ray.

I made a point to look out for when FF games would look as good or better with cgi cutscenes, and FFXV and FFVIIR did it the best from what ive seen in trailers and played.

Also, I need A Bugs Life 2 to be a real movie by Pixar :P

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No movie is individually placing all its hair though. They set a few key strands, and let computers fill in the rest. Same as games really.

Never said they are. Just giving the example that they can to get across the point that CG is a controlled environment with no/very few variables.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
KH3 matches toy story and frozen and tangled perfectly IMO. Sure the reflections of the films on the floor arent there but it is good enough. It overexceeded all expectations on scope and scenes for me and exploration.

Jurassic Park 1 film for me remains the best use of robotics still. IMO.

All this being said, for me the standard was always FF Spirits Within and FF Advent Children complete on blu ray.

I made a point to look out for when FF games would look as good or better with cgi cutscenes, and FFXV and FFVIIR did it the best from what ive seen in trailers and played.

Also, I need A Bugs Life 2 to be a real movie by Pixar :P

I think KH3 does Tangled pretty well all things considered, but nothing in it comes close to the animation of the actual film.

tumblr_moed69lozr1s4ywewo1_500.gif

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Its better in some ways but not in others , like the models are better in kingdom hearts but i prefer the lighting in the first toystory movie

Also long hair still looks baaaad, like thor in the new avengers game is a disaster

USIGSJ

Oct 26, 2017
Well, UE4 got one update from next gen hair though. Sure it's not like offline, but its better than what we have now.

High-density grooms can easily contain hundreds of thousands or even millions of strands. And each strand can contain dozens of Control Vertices (CVs). The combination of these two factors will affect performance for import, rendering, and simulation. For reference, in order to achieve real-time on a high-end PC, we've been generating grooms with an average of 50k strands for long hairs with a relatively higher CV count, and an average of 200k strands for short hair with comparatively lower CV count.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
None yet... not until raytracing becomes the norm games even today just cannot match the lighting.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Hair and cloth are still well behind early CG. But then things like skin are way ahead of something like Spirits Within. Ray tracing should help a lot, but I'm not sure when you'll ever see them getting hair right, at least long, straight hair like in those Tangled shots. A lot of games will keep doing short hair and lots of braids on women to have styles they can make look good.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I think games striving for realism are around Beowolf.

Though to be fair I have only seen screenshots of it so it might be a different comparison with both in motion.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't really something you can quantify since the technologies that power games and CG film all have their own unique requirements, and the time it takes for technology to jump from offline rendering to real time varies, if it even makes the jump. And I wouldn't be surprised if some technology gone in the opposite direction and jumping from games to CG (virtual production seams like it might be a recent candidate).

Take for instance PBR rendering - non of the films you've cited use it. In fact, games were fairly early adopters of the technology - I'm not sure the specific film that first used it in production but I know Gravity is a fairly early example of a film that used it, which came out in 2013, the same year the current gen consoles came out alongside games that made heavy use of the technology.

You would also be very surprised know that many films from that era cited didn't use ray tracing either - Pixar only really started using it on Cars and that was just for reflections, Monsters University was the first film by them that was fully path traced, using their new RIS engine within Renderman. So the fact that games are beginning to use ray tracing and path tracing for rendering elements of the scene means they're already a step above what those films achieved.

On the other hand, NURBS and Subdivision Surfaces never made the jump to video games, so games still suffer from visible polygonal faceting, no matter how good the rendering engines have gotten at rendering those polygons. Compare this to even the first Toy Story where we see perfectly round edges. NURBS is out of the question now since they're a pain to model with and were quickly abandoned by the film industry after the late-90's, but I'm still holding out hope that we'll see Subdivision Surfaces appear next console generation using an adaptive model similar to tesselation.

Oct 29, 2017
I think real time faces are comparable to CGI from not too long ago, but look at the environments, clothes, and hair, and the illusion is lost.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Death Stranding completely blew my mind regarding this. Even though it's real time vs pre-rendered, I think it looks better than Beowulf in motion.

images

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man visuals and models are so slean and crisp it totally looks like a CGI movie at times:

48075259422_44e1733a3e_o.png

48075257572_c01ae77a91_o.png

48075258047_fb0f5b9407_o.png

God of War also looks also amazing in-game/ during gameplay.

48688014558_a1837416bc_o.png

33324511158_d315f35186_o.png

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Spider-Man visuals and models are so slean and crisp it totally looks like a CGI movie at times:

48075259422_44e1733a3e_o.png

48075257572_c01ae77a91_o.png

48075258047_fb0f5b9407_o.png

God of War also looks also amazing in-game/ during gameplay.

48688014938_8db416f554_o.png

48688014558_a1837416bc_o.png

33324511158_d315f35186_o.png
Considering the state of Spiderman CGI no it really doesn't.

It very obviously looks like a game when compared to the real deal. Again, a lot of CGI is straight up invisible.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Also let's not forget this beauty which will be coming pretty soon:

48790614772_543f3fcb9f_o.png

48790086617_ee14e9d0ac_o.png

48790106168_bf3506f190_o.png

Oct 29, 2017
At the point we are now is somewhere around the 2004 opening cinematic for World of Warcraft, but with lower poly-count, without all the fur, more rudimentary lighting, but with better faces.

Photo-realistic faces are now better than they were in the 2000s CGI, especially with performance capture. You can also see a world-wide face improvement in both CGI and real time after scanning became widespread in the 2010s.

Where games have been able to utilize new technologies that did not exist at the time, they have matched or surpassed old CG, but only those areas.

Things in games that are still done in the same old fashion they were done 20 years ago in CGI look worse since CGI left them behind. Games have to catch up to all the things CG does with simulations, like fluids, light, and clothes.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
We have yet to reach 'The Spirits Within' polycount levels, even for main characters:

Final Fantasy: The Technology Within

2pwj5d.jpg
See as more efficient methods come up, raw polycount becomes a useless barometric. We have character models approaching 200-300K this gen, and next gen it'll probably be in 400-500K range or higher. But at the same time you don't actually need to have that much polycount if you aren't going to use it or have methods like tessellation used commonly. CG models have lots of polycount for their clothing which moves a lot in comparison to game models, same for hair which in games are alpha blended or a mixture instead of raw polygons. And hair is one thing that's likely never going to be fully poly based and other techniques will come up to replace what we have to make something more realistic than what we have.

For some reason tessellation this gen seemed to have been limited to environments and on top of that as an afterthought. Very rarely you get cases with fully tessellation character models or environment built for tessellation like Metro Exodus. But these models don't really need that much polycount

Compared side by side Spirits within character model most definitely looks worse than something like Connor from Detroit or Die Harman from Death Stranding. It's because Spirits Within lags so far behind in shaders, totally lacks SSS, and older CG generally moved like crap because it was still very much a new thing that artists were getting used to back then. These days you can probably have an artist hand animate a model better than a mocapped model from those days.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding completely blew my mind regarding this. Even though it's real time vs pre-rendered, I think it looks better than Beowulf in motion.

images
It's a really outstanding achievement in game animation. That scene has to be the high bar so far.
FF5MM1D.gif

Squishy3

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone's doing Toy Story comparisons for KH3, but I think the Pirates world is the best looking world in KH3 hands down. Some of the cutscenes Visual Works did, so that's standard SE CG stuff, but the lighting work on the Pirates world is insane.