dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Yes. Until the economy improves they say. Work behind the scenes is still happening of course, I can attest to that. So at least they'll be more time ironing out the final details.
THat does not make sense. Until the economy improves? Restarting construction will help the economy....Am I missing something?

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
THat does not make sense. Until the economy improves? Restarting construction will help the economy....Am I missing something?
Universal has been losing millions of dollars each day with the theme parks being closed. They still have multiple other construction projects ongoing such as Nintendoland at USJ. They are focusing on that and will resume construction for the new park once things begin to return to normal and they have a good cash flow again.

Disney has done the same thing. In Disney's case however they halted EVERYTHING related to the parks construction while Universal only halted Epic Universe.

Dec 8, 2018
That looks so tiny and cramped and will probably be crowded as fuck and something I would not even think of visiting covid situation or not.

edit: Also very environmental that everything is fucking plastic and not a single real tree the whole thing looks terrible.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Entrance way:

EZHa8FYXYAE20fV

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno about all that. Looks like a side project compared to the Star Wars Lands. Guess it'll be worth checking out with the other stuff already there.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Looks amazing!

By the time the Orlando one opens my kid will probably be 5-7 so pretty close to when I'd like to be able to take him anyway. Can't wait!

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Epic Universe is likely only behind by a year, it's still being worked on. The issue isn't the economy (doesn't help), but supplies that they and others might eventually have trouble getting. And to be fair, 2022 seemed a little early

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
To provide context on how limited Universal Japan is, it's no more than 133 acres. So if you think the park area is smaller than you'd think, that is why. Let's look at the plans for the 750 acre Epic Universe Park for Orlando.

Epic-Universe-Map.jpg

You see that little bastard on the left? That's gonna be your flagship Nintendo World. If you wanted to say "wow that's big" in an Internet forum, wait another three years
I genuinely don't think this park gets built for another ten years at least, if at all. And when it does it will be scaled back significantly and opened piece-meal.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario's Corner

Seems small, and a lot of people are going to be crammed in there.... not a good combo

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To provide context on how limited Universal Japan is, it's no more than 133 acres. So if you think the park area is smaller than you'd think, that is why. Let's look at the plans for the 750 acre Epic Universe Park for Orlando.

Epic-Universe-Map.jpg

You see that little bastard on the left? That's gonna be your flagship Nintendo World. If you wanted to say "wow that's big" in an Internet forum, wait another three years

It is kinda wack that Nintendo is the star of this new theme park and yet they gave it the smallest plot of land. lol

Assuming that they used the same plans from Japan for Orlando, instead of making it larger to make use of the extra land.

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
It is kinda wack that Nintendo is the star of this new theme park and yet they gave it the smallest plot of land. lol

Assuming that they used the same plans from Japan for Orlando, instead of making it larger to make use of the extra land.

For Japan it's not that simple. They have only a certain amount of land to make use out of by the city. For Orlando, that space of trees above will have plenty of room for any future expansions.

OP
OP
Magic-Man

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
That moment you realize that this land (PLUS THE DONKEY KONG MINI-LAND AND ROLLER COASTER) was supposed to open up at Universal Studios Orlando next year, but then it got delayed back two years to open alongside a new park and then it got delayed back another year (or more) due to COVID.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For Japan it's not that simple. They have only a certain amount of land to make use out of by the city. For Orlando, that space of trees above will have plenty of room for any future expansions.

With the way the economy is going and with Comcast delaying Epic Universe because of it, I'm getting skeptical that we will even get expansions to that park anytime in the near future. (Assuming they still build EU)

I guess they have Japan to test capacity on how well it contains crowds, before they work on Orlando.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely don't think this park gets built for another ten years at least, if at all. And when it does it will be scaled back significantly and opened piece-meal.
This is absurd. They already been working on it for years now (clearing land and such) it's definitely coming

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
This is absurd. They already been working on it for years now (clearing land and such) it's definitely coming
We're entering a depression that will impact travel/tourism probably more than anything else. Wiped out more than a decade's worth of job growth that will take more than a decade to get back im sure. They have to be weighing the cost of running and maintaining a theme park during a depression versus the cost of waiting several more years and maintaining an empty plot of flat land before getting it going. If they had gone vertical on any of it I would be more optimistic, but as far as i know all theyve done is clear the land.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect the night time lighting to be so impressive! The glowing "?" blocks and the red eyes on the stone Bowser head look incredible.

Very curious what their time table is on opening this.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So this is only Super Mario-themed, right? No Zelda, no Pokemon...? :(

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To anyone who thinks that it looks small, don't worry, that's just the land where everything shrinks. You guys should see the giant land part.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
That video reminded me that JAWS is actually still up and running at Universal Japan, years after the Orlando version got the axe in favour of Potter.

Damn.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The themed lands at Disney are not that big too, folks get the wrong idea about these "expansions". Galaxy's Edge is not that big as Disney really.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That Yoshi video is cute as heck. I can't wait to see the full motion of everything moving back and forth in this land. Could possibly set a new benchmark for immersion in themed lands.