• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

"We finished all of our bits and they asked me to come down to camera. And I thought, 'Oh well, maybe they're going to say thank you for being one of the heritage characters and giving 30 years and all that.' But what they did was, they gave me a Millennium Falcon sign that had the day and the date on it, the scene number, and they said, 'Can you look at camera and say 'It's a wrap?' Because that would be really funny."
"I was actually in tears in the suit because I thought – after everything, after hoping there'd be something, after knowing there wasn't going to be anything else, Ackbar's final moment before he went in to the box was just a big joke about 'It's a wrap.' They just thought 'Wouldn't it be funny?' And that was the sum total of my life as Ackbar."

I always felt that Admiral Ackbar got shafted with his offscreen and unceremonious death, but hearing his actor tear up really hit me in the gut, especially since he's now apparently being harassed for his reaction.

Edit: Removed the tweet since the account was problematic and replaced with a news article instead.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ackbar wasn't even a character in ROTJ. He is only remembered because he is a meme. The fact he died suddenly makes perfect sense. It showed the stakes of what the characters are in for. Ackbar is not the sort of character that warranted some sort of major heroic death scene, he is barely a character.

Loser alt-right weirdos who cant handle the heroic role of being in charge of the Resistance ship going to Holdo and not Ackbar have latched onto this and won't shut up about it online of course.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Admiral Ackbar fucking rules and he did get the shaft. Fuck online bullies.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ackbar wasn't even a character in ROTJ. He is only remembered because he is a meme. The fact he died suddenly makes perfect sense. It showed the stakes of what the characters are info
That doesn't make it right to humiliate his actor, and his career defining role.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What the heck, the video in the OP is absolutely heartbreaking. I wish he would've spoken up at the time, obviously no harm was meant by "It's a wrap!" Tough to do, hindsight, etc etc.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Btw the line in your tweet you posted "Lucasfilm's new fanbase does nothing but disrespect the original actors & characters now "

is fucking bullshit and laughable at best.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I can't watch the video right now, what did Rian do to humiliate him?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ackbar was just a meme. Doesn't excuse the fandom in how they reacted to his words, but he wasn't some grand character. Just type Ackbar in google and see the suggestions you get. Nobody thought that.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm no huge fan of Rian's, but this seems like an oversight almost entirely unrelated to him? I clicked on this thread expecting to see a story about a directator berating someone, but it seems like the crew just didn't value Ackbar as a character very highly.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not able to watch the video at work. What did Rian do?
At the end of shooting they had him, in costume, hold a sign shaped like the Falcon and holler "IT'S A WRAP!"

He didn't like that his last memory of the Star Wars franchise was going to be as a joke mascot yelling a punchline so he want somewhere to collect himself for half an hour.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Those tweets are rude for the ones picking on the actor, but like the ones criticizing Ackbar as a character? That isn't bullying. And the title of this thread is aimed at getting a certain type of response.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck these assholes. That's all there really is to say about it.

People will spend more time debating whether he should or shouldn't have died the way he did, and not focus on the most important piece. Fuck online bullies.

This right here.

The semantics about if he was a character or not doesn't matter in this discussion in my opinion.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Rose also revealed how he was unhappy with what happened afterwards, saying, "We finished all of our bits and they asked me to come down to camera. And I thought, 'Oh well, maybe they're going to say thank you for being one of the heritage characters and giving 30 years and all that.' But what they did was, they gave me a Millennium Falcon sign that had the day and the date on it, the scene number, and they said, 'Can you look at camera and say 'It's a wrap?' Because that would be really funny.' … I was actually in tears in the suit because I thought - after everything, after hoping there'd be something, after knowing there wasn't going to be anything else, Ackbar's final moment before he went in to the box was a big joke about 'It's a wrap.' They just thought 'Wouldn't it be funny?' And that was the sum total of my life as Ackbar."

Maybe not the most sensitive thing in the world I guess but it's not like Rian Johnson pulled his pants down and said LOOK AT HIS FISH DICK

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the last day of filming, Rose had been expecting Johnson to thank him or show him some kind of appreciation, but he just asked him to say "It's a wrap" for the crew so they could all have a laugh.
The idea that this is somehow offensive or humiliating is absurd.

Do you agree with the tweet you posted that "Lucasfilm's new fanbase does nothing but disrespect the original actors & characters now "?

Calling the fans of the current films "new" fans is an alt-right Star Wars fandom bullshit talking point.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is sod all to that story. He finished with "It's a wrap" after being asked which is quite funny and cool then got emotional which is fair enough, he won't be playing the character again. That's it.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
At the end of shooting they had him, in costume, hold a sign shaped like the Falcon and holler "IT'S A WRAP!"

He didn't like that his last memory of the Star Wars franchise was going to be as a joke mascot yelling a punchline so he want somewhere to collect himself for half an hour.

That's pretty funny, actually. I understand why he'd feel hurt by it, but I don't think anyone involved had any bad intentions.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, obviously he was sensitive about it, but a) he didn't have to do it if he didn't want to and b) it seems like the sort of thing after 30+ years you'd have more of a sense of a humor on?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Transcript for folks who can't watch:

They asked me to come down to camera. And I thought oh, well, maybe they're going to say thank you for being one of the heritage characters and giving thirty years and all that. But what they did was give me a Millennium Falcon sign that had the day and the date on it and the scene number. They said, can you look at the camera and say "It's a wrap!" 'cause that would be really funny.

I was actually in tears in the suit because I thought after everything, after hoping there'd be something, after knowing there wasn't going to be anything else, Ackbar's final moment before going into the box was a big joke about it's a wrap. I disappeared down the back and couldn't come out for a good thirty minutes after that, yeah.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Ackbar wasn't even a character in ROTJ. He is only remembered because he is a meme. The fact he died suddenly makes perfect sense. It showed the stakes of what the characters are in for. Ackbar is not the sort of character that warranted some sort of major heroic death scene, he is barely a character.

Loser alt-right weirdos who cant handle the heroic role of being in charge of the Resistance ship going to Holdo and not Ackbar have latched onto this and won't shut up about it online of course.

If Ackar was not a character, then who the fuck is Holdo?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I'm not able to watch the video at work. What did Rian do?
I can't watch the video right now, what did Rian do to humiliate him?
Essentially, Tim Rose expected Rian to say a speech thanking Rose for being a legacy character and for his 30 years of work in the franchise but instead, Rian asked him to hold a Millenium Falcon sign and say "It's a wrap" because he thought it would be funny. Rose cried in the suit for 30 mins after this because he felt that his 30 years of work were unappreciated.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WHAT A SHOCK!!!! The twitter user the OP linked is a fucking sexist. Wow who saw this coming????

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll see if I can find this video posted by another twitter account, as I don't know anything about this particular one and was just sharing the link I saw on another site, but the video itself is more the point.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017

They asked me to come down to camera. And I thought oh, well, maybe they're going to say thank you for being one of the heritage characters and giving thirty years and all that. But what they did was give me a Millennium Falcon sign that had the day and the date on it and the scene number. They said, can you look at the camera and say "It's a wrap!" 'cause that would be really funny.

I was actually in tears in the suit because I thought after everything, after hoping there'd be something, after knowing there wasn't going to be anything else, Ackbar's final moment before going into the box was a big joke about it's a wrap. I disappeared down the back and couldn't come out for a good thirty minutes after that, yeah.
Wait...this is the humiliation?

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What do you know? The twitter user the OP so kindly made a thread about also thinks the harassment of Kelly Marie Tran is fake and goes on a sexist rant. Amazing. Shocking.

Oct 26, 2017
WHAT A SHOCK!!!! The twitter user the OP linked is a fucking sexist. Wow who saw this coming????

Yeah, they're all pieces of shit.

I'll see if I can find this video posted by another twitter account, as I don't know anything about this particular one and was just sharing the link I saw on another site, but the video itself is more the point.
Yeah, there are a lot out there. Definitely not just the one you had in Op.

Deleted member 54469

User requested account closure
Mar 4, 2019
Those tweets are rude for the ones picking on the actor, but like the ones criticizing Ackbar as a character? That isn't bullying. And the title of this thread is aimed at getting a certain type of response.

facts

come on now. that's funny as hell. they said "can you say it's a wrap" lmfaoo

Status
Not open for further replies.