• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
I love the adaptative triggers, is so immersive and well done, specially playing the campaing, but I noticed that in the MP is not that good ( I mean...yeah the feeling/sense is same but is like you have more input lag and the time to kill is higher). With the adaptative triggers "on" takes more time/effort to kill someone than if it's off, maybe this is placebo but I feel that for multiplayer is better to not use adaptative triggers since you will have certain disadvantage.

What do you think ? Maybe im completely wrong and that has nothing to do with the adaptative triggers (probably) but that's how I feel it. What's your experience with it ? Any tips ?

P.D. Sorry if I made mistakes on my english, I'm not native :)

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I love the adaptative triggers, is so immersive and well done, specially playing the campaing, but I noticed that in the MP is not that good ( I mean...yeah the feeling/sense is same but is like you have more input lag and the time to kill is higher). With the adaptative triggers "on" takes more time/effort to kill someone than if it's off, maybe this is placebo but I feel that for multiplayer is better to not use adaptative triggers since you will have certain disadvantage.

What do you think ? Maybe im completely wrong and that has nothing to do with the adaptative triggers (probably) but that's how I feel it. What's your experience with it ? Any tips ?

P.D. Sorry if I made mistakes on my english, I'm not native :)
Anything that reduces your Time-To-Kill is going to adversely affect your competitiveness in a multiplayer game

It's like esports titles - many people play with graphics on lower/lowest settings because it reduces your input lag, and therefore reduces the TTK

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I agree. They feel amazing but I had to turn them off since it's slower to ADS. Wish we could keep R2 on and turn off just L2 so we can still get the recoil feedback.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
we have people playing on tvs with better input lag than yours

people using mouse and keyboard adapters

people using custom controllers

disadvantages already exist

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
You're gonna wanna turn them off for Every multiplayer game honestly. They are straight up disadvantage.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but I'm willing to perform worse in multiplayer for a cooler experience. Not to mention I use quality mode for the game as well.

Anyway, Cold War has my favorite trigger usage of any PS5 game outside of Astro

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
They're more meant for an immersive experience - of course you probably don't want to use them in a competitive environment.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They should make them mandatory in some multiplayer games so everyone can get the immersion without the competitve disadvantage

Oct 31, 2017
I don't have a PS5 yet, but I'm really interested in the Dualsense controller's features.

Personally, I think that what they should do for a game like CoD is to require the adaptive triggers to be in use in a playlist like Hardcore, that way there's a space to play the game with those features and you'd know everyone is still on the same playing field. Other playlists they should allow player choice, but I think there should definitely be a place for those who enjoy that stuff to be able to continue to enjoy it without having to compromise in an advantage department.

I really doubt they'll do stuff like this though, because people would probably find a way to complain about it.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I was thinking about this after I got my PS5. I've only tried the adaptive triggers on Astro, and it made me excited to see how they are implemented on future games.

But for multiplayer games, I was thinking it would definitely be detrimental, especially if other players disabled the feature. Seems like that's the case and the triggers should mostly be used in single player games. Which I'm fine with.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I don't have a PS5 yet, but I'm really interested in the Dualsense controller's features.

Personally, I think that what they should do for a game like CoD is to require the adaptive triggers to be in use in a playlist like Hardcore, that way there's a space to play the game with those features and you'd know everyone is still on the same playing field. Other playlists they should allow player choice, but I think there should definitely be a place for those who enjoy that stuff to be able to continue to enjoy it without having to compromise in an advantage department.

I really doubt they'll do stuff like this though, because people would probably find a way to complain about it.

The only real way something like that would work would be to literally make a "Adaptive Triggers" playlist. That way it's cut-off from crossplay.
Would likely be too much of a hassle though, especially when the feature can be turned off from the OS level.

Oct 31, 2017
The only real way something like that would work would be to literally make a "Adaptive Triggers" playlist. That way it's cut-off from crossplay.
Would likely be too much of a hassle though, especially when the feature can be turned off from the OS level.
Yeah, I guess CoD has to think about cross play now so yeah that'd probably make it prohibitively difficult for it specifically.

I'm hopeful that Sony comes out with some good FPS multiplayer this gen that really pushes (and even requires) the controller's features.

I think the triggers are too fascinating of a concept to not be leveraged in a multiplayer setting, but it can only work if you don't let people opt out of course.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting for my console but the first thing I've always planned to do is to turn this off in CoD

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, it slows your ADS down? How so, and is it different for each gun or something?
L2 has different amounts of resistance based on the size/class of weapon you're using. R2 has a different trigger threshold for every gun before the breakpoint and pushes back on your finger, bouncing in time with the fire rate. The haptic rumble moves in the direction of recoil. It's phenomenal for learning how to control a weapon but it's just plain not fast enough for MP. I love it in the other modes though and won't play them without it. I want this kind of implementation for every single player/co-op FPS now

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I love it but for mp you need the snapiness so I turned it off. I wish you could turn it on/off separately on campaign/mp

ShadowRunner

Oct 29, 2017
I reduced the intensity to 30 and left it on for multiplayer, still get some effect but it douesn make the ads trigger harder to press.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A post I made on the subject a few days ago:

See, here's the thing.

I love what I've seen of CoD-BOCW's adaptive trigger support. For single-player modes.

It's the exact opposite of the implementation I want to see in multiplayer.

Now, I haven't played CoD on PS5, so (please) correct me if I'm mistaken... but the option I want for adaptive triggers ISN'T 'stuff that makes the trigger pull feel more realistic'.

I want to be able to cut the trigger travel time down completely. I want my triggers to feel like the R1/L1 buttons. No, I want them to feel like the trigger of a paintball/airsoft gun. Very VERY little give, instantaneous response. Hair-triggers, if you will.

That's the sort of implementation that many of us who care about competitive shooter MP on consoles really want, generally speaking. It's the kind of stuff that's intentionally built into controllers like MS's Elite Controller and various third-party 'Pro' PS4 controllers, and its there for a reason. Stuff that enhances our gameplay rather than our 'immersive experience'. Save that stuff for single-player, and for multiplayer as an option - but in MP, 'hair-trigger' takes precedence for me at the very least, and I imagine it'd be a very popular option for ranked games.

Not only am I not a big fan of the idea of using this feature in multiplayer myself (although the option is appreciated), I think that the adaptive trigger functionality is underutilized in multiplayer, where the option to cut trigger activation distance and customize your own trigger stop distance would be useful and appreciated among competitive players.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It's great, and I hope more single player games use it in the future but multiplayer games -especially with cross play- puts you at a disadvantage.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I could see it wouldn't be great when you need to twitch.

I haven't tried mp on wrc9 yet but I'd imagine it's great.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Eh I keep em on. I've gotten used to it and it's not that serious. I generally do good in games and pretty regularly great even. If you're trying to optimize your shit to the T though, yeah it's probably best to turn them off.

Side note : The haptics when an attack chopper is overhead are awesome

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I guess CoD has to think about cross play now so yeah that'd probably make it prohibitively difficult for it specifically.

I'm hopeful that Sony comes out with some good FPS multiplayer this gen that really pushes (and even requires) the controller's features.
I'm thinking a Warhawk/Starhawk sequel would be a pretty great place to use these features

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine kill one with them. Kill zone 2 already had weighty controls anyway.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
I keep them on, tried playing with them off and didn't notice much of a difference in my score so ill gladly take the extra immersion. Glad they put the option there for people to choose though

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Don't worry, if you use your mic in MP, the haptic and trigger feedbacks will drop to their weakest states so it won't hinder the experience.

Oct 31, 2017
Imagine kill one with them. Kill zone 2 already had weighty controls anyway.
Yes, this is the exact kind of thing I'm thinking of. A lot of people would fucking hate it. Me? I'd be all over it.

I'm thinking a Warhawk/Starhawk sequel would be a pretty great place to use these features
Yeah Warhawk could be cool. I'd like to see Twisted Metal comeback too, but that probably won't happen. I just want Sony to invest in multiplayer again, especially now that there's a cool controller.

I still haven't tried it yet, but another game that I recently thought of that could be super awesome with the Dualsense is Death Stranding, even though that's a single player game. All the stuff with the terrain and balance with the triggers seems like a 100% no brainer for that.

Hell, the controller feels very Kojima honestly, in general. I can't wait to see what kind of cool things he looks to do with it.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
I turned them down to medium tension.
Right trigger for different guns feel awesome but I don't know why there's needs to be so much tension on the left trigger just for ADS.

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
Being at the bottom of the scoreboard is a small sacrifice to make for that immersion.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's the opposite of how I set up my controller to play competitive games. I use trigger stops to make my triggers into essentially digital buttons with no throw so they're quick to press when I play multiplayer.

Thankfully you can turn off the adaptive trigger function so it's no issue. Just keep it for the campaign.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Analog inputs are bad for MP shooters. Start shooting with L1 and R1, or reduce the trigger sensitivity to 0 so that it functions as a digital button.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Hard disagree, I actually find them entirely advantageous aside from being immersive. I can "feel" out a guns recoil pattern and aim a lot more accurately IMO and the added weight of pulling the trigger leads to me ADSing a lot more earlier which has improved my game a lot. Im sitting at a 1.49 KD averaging 30~ kills a game so I'd say I'm above average.

Heidern

Oct 30, 2017
Connecticut
I already finished the campaign and the idea of turning them off for multiplayer is not on my radar. Why throw away the advantages of the new controller? I'm not a pro gamer so it's not like a difference in performance in MP is a big deal. I really enjoy the sensation of the trigger response so it's here to stay. Might as well connect a keyboard and mouse if I really wanted to go for maximizing my ability...

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Vibration of any kind is the first thing you turn off in COD multiplayer. It's always been like that. Everybody goes after every single possible edge.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Well yeah. Any resistance in multiplayer is going to have a negative impact on your game.

I was doing HORRIBLY with them on, couldn't aim properly when shooting, just an awful experience.

Turned it off and instantly improved tenfold

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
For twitch style shooting yeah I bet they hinder the player. But something like siege where it's more of a strategic type gameplay, I bet they won't be that much of a hindrance competitively

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Turned them off the moment I was done with the campaign. They're cool but they get in the way in mp.