IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine firing your boy from a job he wanted and not even giving him a phonecall, but letting him hear about it through an agent/lawyer.
That's not how Ferrell heard it exactly; he heard it from John C. Reilly after they offered him the part. McKay says it was a stand-up move on Reilly's part and that he fucked it up.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
That's an opinion that is just plain wrong. Even if you don't like Ferrell, he's a million times funnier than Sandler and has a much better output of films.

I completely disagree. He's exactly like Sandler, playing the exact same character in every one of his movies. His only style of comedy seems to be making crass sexual jokes, screaming at the top of his lungs and running around acting like a 5 year old.

Talladega Knights, Semi Pro, Step Brothers, Blades of Glory just the same shit over and over again and none of it was funny. Even as a teen I couldn't stand him.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is indeed shitty to not personally reach out to someone you're allegedly close to about a role you're swiping from them. It kind of puts Reilly in an awkward spot for the three of them.

That said, I think McKay's best work is still ahead of him which is way more than I can say for Farrell whose shtick is way, way past its prime.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I completely disagree. He's exactly like Sandler, playing the exact same character in every one of his movies. His only style of comedy seems to be making crass sexual jokes, screaming at the top of his lungs and running around acting like a 5 year old.

Talladega Knights, Semi Pro, Step Brothers, Blades of Glory just the same shit over and over again and none of it was funny. Even as a teen I couldn't stand him.
These movies beg to differ; Anchorman, Other Guys, Zoolander, Lego movie, Elf

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
That's because John C Reilly knows not to fuck his friends.
When it comes to friendship, he's never been afraid to tackle the hard questions..

VCwGbwo.gif

Oct 25, 2017
It's between them. If they work it out, cool. If they don't, learn from it at least.

Any additional commentary is just childish gossip.

Dr_LawyerCop

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
His work in The Therapist Next Door so far is really great. Not a movie, but still.

Will Farrell is tremendous in The Therapist Next Door. I don't love the show because I'm not a big fan of watching a nice guy get taken advantage of, but the acting by Farrell and Rudd is great. They feel like real characters.

On topic, didn't realize Gary Sanchez broke up. Step Brothers is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I think I generally agree that Ferrell is funnier than Sandler, but he also doesn't have a Punch Drunk Love or an Uncut Gems (although he has tried and failed to find a dramatic breakout movie).

Stranger Than Fiction is incredible and Ferrell is terrific in it. Maybe not quite Uncut Gems, but still a very non-typical Ferrell performance in a really good movie.

Ferrell's comedy output is substantially better than Sandler's. Like, if Sandler's career in comedy had stopped at Big Daddy there might be a convo here but Ferrell's average movie is way better than Sandler's average movie.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Eh it's cool for him to be open about it. That said it's between them. Not everything is supposed to last forever. Will wanted to be more hands on with everything and Mckay was just moving towards more dramatic shit generally and having his hand in a lot of pies. Hope they reunite and maybe some time apart is good for them. Great team together but they can always work together later.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they had a legendary run - sucks it ended this way and I hope they reconcile but I'm happy with what we got

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I think I generally agree that Ferrell is funnier than Sandler, but he also doesn't have a Punch Drunk Love or an Uncut Gems (although he has tried and failed to find a dramatic breakout movie).
Which I imagine, if Ferrell was given a truth serum, is something that has to sting heavily about the whole situation.

It's clear Ferrell wanted to do some serious work and McKay was too. And was even using comedic actors like Carrell to do it…but sort of shunned Ferrell. Who was a friend and kind of the reason McKay even had the opportunities to branch out that he did.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Quite trashy to dish his side of the story and be all like, I keep emailing him but he won't respond. Guess I'm the jerk! Like, yes, you were and still are the jerk!

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
McKay is an incredibly mediocre director. Vice is an awful film which only works at all because Christian Bale and to a lesser extent Amy Adam's do fantastic work in it

The Big Short meanwhile is fine, barely, but it's far too caught up in its own shtick. A movie which is way too impressed by itself.

The rise of Adam McKay "serious director" is proof that Hollywood cares way more about movies having "important" subject matter than it does about quality or those movies actually having anything to say.

McKays best work is still his work with Ferrell, by a pretty significant margin.

For what it's worth also, Ferrell has done strong dramatic work on several occasions. He's terrific in Stranger Than Fiction and again in Everything Must Go. It's a shame he's had such a struggle finding strong scripts in recent years.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020

Stranger Than Fiction was definitely a breakout dramatic role for him, but like Sandler, he knew that the big money was going to be with his comedies. He chose not to go that route, he definitely could have segued into it if he wanted to after that.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Step Brothers and Talledega Nights are two of the best comedies ever so I was really sad to see them break up.
I find serious Adam McKay to be pretty underwhelming, so I'm sad to read it appears he's planning on sticking to that path.

Demonic Drape

Banned
Sep 10, 2021
Stranger Than Fiction is incredible and Ferrell is terrific in it. Maybe not quite Uncut Gems, but still a very non-typical Ferrell performance in a really good movie.

Ferrell's comedy output is substantially better than Sandler's. Like, if Sandler's career in comedy had stopped at Big Daddy there might be a convo here but Ferrell's average movie is way better than Sandler's average movie.
I always thought Will was also great in everything must go. Underrated movie.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
McKay says pretty straight up that he recast Ferrell without calling him which really seems like a dumb move

There's also this which makes McKay seem like a real fucking moron

I was gonna say less moron and more asshole.
He was well aware of how Ferrel would feel hence why he went behind his back in the first place, and a real friend would actually have the respect to at least be honest with him to his face. But what makes it all even worse is that when he was confronted with something he did that he himself KNEW was shitty, he turned it around to make Ferrel feel bad. Total manipulative, gas lighting shit right there. Even if Will was going to be upset, at least give him the opportunity to say he how felt rather than speak for him. And even now McKay deflects and blames it on the business when he very well has the ability to make that change within the business himself.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for them to inevitably reunite. Gary Sanchez might be dead, but The Magic Man and El Diablo Productions will live in its stead.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
So this was originally going to be Michael Shannon then they replaced him with John C Reilly even though Will Ferrell wanted the role? He probably thought Farrell would be remind people too much of Ron Burgundy but damnit it would have been great.

michael_shannon_-_jerry_buss_-_getty_-_split_-_h_2019_.jpg

john-c.-reilly-jerry-buss.jpg

da5fe06fac0c66565a476bc2ceb09b95--ron-burgundy-scotch.jpg
71+tnpU9GQL._SL1349_.jpg

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear Ferrell wanted to do some serious work and McKay was too. And was even using comedic actors like Carrell to do it…but sort of shunned Ferrell. Who was a friend and kind of the reason McKay even had the opportunities to branch out that he did.

McKay's movies have always been carried by the cast, his directing is pretty flat and sterile imo. There's no energy to his filmmaking unless he's just letting actors like Bale, Gosling, or Ferrell cut loose

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Vice and Big Short so Im glad McKay is making films. They are subtler comedies.

Personally, I think Ferrell would have held McKay back in a lot of ways. Ferrell is so over the top that the movie is literally Ferrel and just him yelling. Which is fine, I like Ferrell but I am glad McKay can do other projects too.

To me he sounds desperate, like he's trying to get the attention of Will and maybe have a chance of reconciliation. The only thing I can think of.

Yep. Same.