• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F170419102955-de-niro---godfather.jpg

Robert De Niro made the film what it is as far as I'm concerned. One of the main reasons why people would make the argument it's better than the first is because of his portrayal of Vito Corleone's rise to power.

He won an academy award for this role.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Nic cage in Vampire's Kiss was genius level casting.

I didn't really like Carey in Sonic, I thought he was thewworst part of the film. He's so ridiculously over the top and silly in comparison to anything else in the already silly kid's movie. It was just too goofy and I didn't get any "robotnik" vibes from him, even by the end.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Nicolas Cage may make a thousand shitty movies to pay for the castles and stolen dinosaur bones he couldn't actually afford to buy, but he still brings his A game. Every time.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Michael Sheen in Underworld. I remember watching that movie not having seen him in much of anything before that and thinking he killed it. Then of course he went on to do dozens of great roles.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
This is an out of left field shout, but Henry Gibson as the Irish grandpa in Luck of the Irish was amazing. It's just a Disney Channel movie, but he's hilarious in it. For years I thought the guy was actually Irish.

disney_luckoftheirish_grandpa.jpg

Same goes for Timothy Omundson who played the villain. Dude put everything into this goofy role.

The-Luck-of-the-Irish-5-1457551760.gif

vlcsnap-8353-09-15-14h04m12s648_1024x1024.png

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
since jim carrey already got mentioned a few times for Sonic I'd probably mention him for his role as Count Olaf. I still think compared to NPH he had much stronger highs, and it was clearly a role where he got a lot of room to experiment and do whatever he wanted to do.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
The entire cast of Doom (2005) brought it. The 3 mains, Urban, Pike, and Johnson, especially. I enjoy that movie simply because the entire cast gave it their all. If the cast had been lesser, it wouldn't have even been watchable, much less fun and rewatchable.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
This is an out of left field shout, but Henry Gibson as the Irish grandpa in Luck of the Irish was amazing. It's just a Disney Channel movie, but he's hilarious in it. For years I thought the guy was actually Irish.

disney_luckoftheirish_grandpa.jpg

Same goes for Timothy Omundson who played the villain. Dude put everything into this goofy role.

The-Luck-of-the-Irish-5-1457551760.gif

vlcsnap-8353-09-15-14h04m12s648_1024x1024.png
Timothy Omundson always gives his all. I remember enjoying him on Psych and then seeing him play a terrorist on 24 for all of 5 minutes and even selling that.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My personal goat. The baddest mofo low down around this town.

shonuff-440x244.jpg

Julius Carry in The Last Dragon.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Bill Nighy really brings it in Underworld. I mean, yeah, Kate Beckinsale in leather is a welcome sight but Viktor is the best performance.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Ed Norton in Kingdom of Heaven. Not only do you never see his face, but it's a nothing part and he crushes it and actually makes you feel for the weighty decisions he has to make. Add to this that he's the second most famous actor in the whole movie behind Jeremy Irons.
How on earth is is that a mediocre role?

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F170419102955-de-niro---godfather.jpg

Robert De Niro made the film what it is as far as I'm concerned. One of the main reasons why people would make the argument it's better than the first is because of his portrayal of Vito Corleone's rise to power.
Or this? The Godfather Part II, a mediocre role?

Oct 25, 2017

Only on ERA would you find the follow up to one of the greatest film performances of all time listed as a "mediocre" role lmao

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was literally just mentioning to my wife the other day that I needed to watch Dick Tracy again just to admire this performance, lol
It really is fucking amazing
It's very entertaining, but still kinda crazy that this guy yelling at deformed and disfigured criminals was considered worthy of an Oscar nod.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Only on ERA would you find the follow up to one of the greatest film performances of all time listed as a "mediocre" role lmao
I feel for me it's in the context of the film as a whole that's why it's a mediocre role.

He was able to outshine everything about the film as a whole, and made the film in what was really a supporting role, but eclipsed the rest of the movie as a whole.

I mean, I guess if you really want one that's more fitting, Marlon Brando as Vito Corleone in the first Godafther is more fitting?

But to follow up the first Godfather, and basically take Marlon Brando's performance and take it to the next level, and be the center of the entire movie and only be in less than half of it, is pretty remarkable.

The role was amazing because of De Niro's performance of the role, and I felt that had more to do it with than just the role itself.

Hope that is more clear.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
5 minutes of screentime, and wearing a mask the entire time. They didn't have to cast a famous actor, nor did he have to put as much into it as he did.
It's a pivotal supporting role that relied on having a great actor in it. Kingdom of Heaven (the proper version) is a very acclaimed movie, I'm not seeing its place in this thread, which was more for crummy movies actors put effort into anyway.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Bill Nighy is one of my favorites for this. Dude will take some corny movie and just smother it in a thick layer of ham and it's always 100% glorious. He made Underworld and the two Pirates movies he was in watchable for the amount of time he was in them.

Let no joyful voice be heard!
Let no man look up at the sky with hope!
And let this day be cursed by we who ready to wake...
THE KRAKEN!

He's a treasure.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nominated for seven! (Won 3)
That's absolutely insane. I guess it was just easier to get a nomination back then, since comic book movies weren't as ambitious. If something like Dick Tracy were released today, I doubt it would even get 1 nomination. Sin City is pretty close to Dick Tracy, and got zero attention from the Academy.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Johnny depp - Black Mass. He completely warped his persona to become this ice-cold mafia guy. He did fairly well considering....

black-mass-johnny-depp.jpg

I actually liked the movie but everyone says it was bad. It was brutal as fuck too.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher

Movie is mediocre as all hell but Tom Cruise is doing his full-on Mission Impossible thing

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
That's absolutely insane. I guess it was just easier to get a nomination back then, since comic book movies weren't as ambitious. If something like Dick Tracy were released today, I doubt it would even get 1 nomination. Sin City is pretty close to Dick Tracy, and got zero attention from the Academy.

Well Tracy was a Disney flick (through Touchstone and Buena Vista). A cynical man might say there was some lobbying involved.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well Tracy was a Disney flick (through Touchstone and Buena Vista). A cynical man might say there was some lobbying involved.
There's always lobbying though. Even with the benefit of lobbying, I'd be surprised if today's comic-book movies could fight their way to 6-7 Oscar nominations. I'm sure Joker and maybe Black Panther probably got that many nods, but those were marketed to Oscar voters as serious and ground-breaking efforts. Dick Tracy got a slew of nominations just based on its style and looks. I doubt that anybody really took Dick Tracy seriously, at least not in the same way they approached BP or Joker.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was great, felt real and like an actual story. Mickey Rourke is a great actor aside from all his personal problems.
Van Damme is also great in Street Fighter, despite being coked out of his mind.

No. A Sound of Thunder proves this is not the case.
To connect these two, Mickey Rourke seems to bring his A-Game to Van Damme's Double Team. For a movie where Van Damme and Dennis Rodman parachute from a plane in a giant inflatable basketball, Rourke seems to be taking it very seriously!
This may be controversial, but Alan Rickman absolutely KILLED the Harry Potter films. Hell, his portrayal is probably the only reason anyone defends Severus Snape because the book version is a POS.
He also brings it in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. He's so good in that.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not a movie, but I firmly believe that Jack Black's best performance was Eddie Riggs in Brutal Legend. He knows just when to play it up and when to get serious. While it wasn't AAA gameplay, Jables made it memorable as FUCK.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Ben Affleck in The Accountant.

It's a pretty bog standard bourne-style espionage thriller with the gimmick being that the protag's day job is as a forensic accountant, tracing money from terrorist organizations. It's highly ciche and competently made, but you've seen this story before.

Except for Affleck's portrayal of aspergers, which is dead fucking on. I mean that shit is PERFECT. I have asperger's myself and honestly the movie is hard for me to watch because every time he's on screen he does some subtle little tic or quirk that I not only do, but he does it in the right context. I keep seeing things in his performance that I see in the mirror every day, or hear him say things in a way that I say them. The whole thing causes this weird out of body experience for me because I'm looking at all this familiar shit, but it's coming form the dude who played batman. It must have taken meticulous research.

It also elevates the film itself which engages is quite a bit of that whole "non neurotypicals are superpowered" thing that hollywood loves. And there are a few tics to his character that were clearly scripted in because they don't come off naturally at all, when every other aspect of the performance feels natural. Even the social awkwardness feels authentic. You can literally see the seams in the movie where affleck's oscar level performance is meeting with the B grade script and direction and it is jarring as hell.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Ian McKellen as Gus the theatre cat in Cats. I was shocked at how much he put into that.

Yeah, same here. It felt almost like he was using Gus as a metaphor about him and theater trained actors becoming a dying breed. He actually made the movie more tolerable instead of the weird post apocalyptic nightmare it is.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Peters as Kai in Cult made the season for me. That was his performance of a lifetime. Apparently it also made him resign from anything AHS after his contract was done. Dude took a huge mental hit.
He is actually back for the next season.
But yeah, that performance was Golden Globe worthy. I don't think I would have made it past episode 4 or so if it wasn't for him.