• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it the same thing? We don't call November-December "holiday" in Europe

OP
OP
Era Uma Vez

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
So looking at the Swedish Playstation 5 page, it actually says "Releasing Christmas 2020". SO this could be true?

www.playstation.com

PlayStation®5 | Play Has No Limits | PlayStation

Allt du behöver veta om PlayStation®5-konsolen och PlayStation®5 Digital Edition med nya slimmade PS5-designen. De bästa PS5-spelen, Ps5-tillbehören och den trådlösa DualSense-handkontrollen.
(Julen = christmas, not holidays or anything that general)

sZ2FroK.png
Do Swedish people have an expression for Late 2020, or is just common to refer it as Christmas?
Because in other websites it's "late 2020".

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
When someone in the US says Holiday 2020, they're thinking Thanksgiving. When someone in Europe says Holiday 2020, they're thinking December. The only thing this confirms, it's that Holiday 2020 has always been super vague to begin with.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this because nowhere else calls it "holiday"? It's just a regional phrasing difference?

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
They're just using the approved Sony vernacular in each region. It'll release before Christmas in all regions.

Black Friday isn't as much of a thing in some countries as it is in North America, so I could see it launching on, say, November 20 in the US and Canada and then a week or two later globally, not unlike the PS4.

In regions like Japan where console launches on Saturday aren't uncommon, December 5 might be a nice date. Goes with the 5 and everything.
This is getting overlooked in this thread.
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/ps5/ - British English site - Launches late 2020
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps5/ - American English site - Launches holiday 2020

'The holidays' doesn't have much play elsewhere.

They're just using equivalent vague terms that will be understood.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ACTIVISION says PS5 VERSION OF CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS is releasing holiday 2020 in the US/Canada, late 2020 in the rest of the world

There, fixed it your title.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
I would really love for the PS5 to be launched on the same day for all major regions. Microsoft managed it with the Xbox One.
They did what now? They only launched in only 13 countries in 2013, missing Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland and oh right, all of Asia. Unless "all major regions" means "where I live and fuck everyone else".

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Stuff like this happens when you don´t give any infos on the release date, now we have game publishers causing a stir about potential release plans for the PS5...

Joo

May 25, 2018
I reckon so.

Holiday in the US is november but when you say holiday in europe everyone thinks christmas.
Associating holiday with christmas only in Europe is also a reach. It's definitely not universal in Europe. Holiday can mean numerous different dates during the year, like school holiday, public holiday. You just can't really universally market that PS5 is releasing Holiday 2020 in Europe, and that's almost certainly the reason for this kind of wording.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
This is getting overlooked in this thread.
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/ps5/ - British English site - Launches late 2020
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps5/ - American English site - Launches holiday 2020

'The holidays' doesn't have much play elsewhere.

They're just using equivalent vague terms that will be understood.

Why start doing this now? You'd think people would have noticed this in previous years as we'd have ended up with similar threads. The fact this is apparently a new thing points in the other direction of the dates being different.

Geezer

Jan 29, 2018
They did what now? They only launched in only 13 countries in 2013, missing Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland and oh right, all of Asia. Unless "all major regions" means "where I live and fuck everyone else".
North America, Europe and Australia make up the bulk of the Xbox audience by far. I had no idea that a number of European countries were left out at launch and wrongly assumed that it was an almost pan-European launch. As for Asia, it is a major gaming region but will never be a major Xbox region.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
...the snippet from the article clearly states it's talking about the Cold War release date, not the PS5 console.

How the fuck is there three pages of people thinking it's about the PS5 console launch? Am I just lacking in reading comprehension?
I honestly don't get it. Why is the thread still open? Or at least, why hasn't the title/OP changed? Is this some kind of simulation designed to test us?

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...the snippet from the article clearly states it's talking about the Cold War release date, not the PS5 console.

How the fuck is there three pages of people thinking it's about the PS5 console launch? Am I just lacking in reading comprehension?

I guess they allowed. I mean there's a mod that posted here.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I would really love for the PS5 to be launched on the same day for all major regions. Microsoft managed it with the Xbox One.
This is totally incorrect. XB1 launched over 9 months later after the initial launch in where I live (Europe). It was originally promised that it would launch simultaneously in 21 countries, but only managed 13 in the end and missed the whole Asia. PS4 was launched in 30 countries at the time of XB1's initial launch. US & UK isn't the whole world. There's 741 million people in Europe whilst US's population is not even half of that and UK's is 66 million.

OP
OP
Era Uma Vez

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
I honestly don't get it. Why is the thread still open? Or at least, why hasn't the title/OP changed? Is this some kind of simulation designed to test us?
Idk about that one too.
I reported the title twice minutes after posting the OP.
One for the Holiday spelling and another to add "version of the game" to the title.
They did the first one, never got to the second.

But, tbh, this thread is much more entertaining with the title like that.

Rai_11

Nov 7, 2017
For once Canada was not forgotten. But at the same time we usually are not forgotten, but implied to be included when US release date confirmed. Just nice to be mentioned by name for once. Lol

mattypacker

Oct 29, 2017
Bristol UK
Would be surprised if both launches are not very close together or on the same date.

This is likely just a regional thing. "Holidays" is a North American thing.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Why would the PS5 version, and only the PS5 version, be launching later if the console wasn't also launching later?