• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Great video as always! Now, I'm a fan of Tokimeki Memorial without having to play it, similar to Tim's fondness of Pathologic without playing it (just by watching the video from hbomberguy).

Season 2 of Action Button Reviews, I will guess that, if it follows that same structure as this season (chart a pathway between two NEW games), the first game will be Demon's Souls and the final will be Hollow Knight Silksong.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
This is amazing so far (3 hours in). I got sad when Tim mentioned the game will likely never be officially playable in English, but glad he's shining a light on it.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I watched the whole thing in one day. With some (small) breaks. I had a whole day to myself anyway. It was that good

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Finally done, as someone who loves Persona this sounds like a lot of the stuff I find most interesting about those games. Are there any good English fan-translations? None were mentioned in the video

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
Most games have a surprisingly small amount of text. FFVII is around 50,000 words (in English) for example and probably has the more text than almost any game released before it.
That is not a fair comparison, Visual Novel type games have waaay more text than even most wordy RPGs. A short VN (3-5 hours) will generally have 30-50,000 words. Tokimeki Memorial is said to be between 30 and 50 hours.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
This is some seminal work from Tim, who I just fucking adore. Only a bit into it, but I'm loving it already. It's tough, though, because he so effectively makes me want to play this, and it's just a total impossibility for someone who doesn't read or speak Japanese.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I just finished the review. I'd say it's his best Action Button review yet. It's twice the length of the Pac-man review but felt shorter to me.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
I would love more videos where he plays and translates Japanese games. His let's Mosey is some of my fave video series ever.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
That is not a fair comparison, Visual Novel type games have waaay more text than even most wordy RPGs. A short VN (3-5 hours) will generally have 30-50,000 words. Tokimeki Memorial is said to be between 30 and 50 hours.
I think part of him saying he could do it quickly is he notes that there are no hard words or anything in it, specifically says that for years he would recommend people looking for a beginner level Japanese game to play he would always say Dragon Quest 5, and he feels that Tokimeki is the perfect game for a person at an intermediate level to play, as all the vocab in the game you will be looking up are common, useful phrases and that everything is also voiced

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
I disagree completely with all of his takes in this video (from L.A Noire to all the praises to Tokimeki Memorial) this time, but the video itself was so entertaining that I enjoyed to watch it whole (not in one sitting, though.)

I really like when he talks about the impact such game had in his life or something he remembers when playing such game, even if it is impossible to confirm if what he says is true or not. I simply love it.

Last edited:

Dreenk

Oct 27, 2017
That stupid Tinder anecdote really got me good

...MOM

As per his usual standards, this video is masterfully done. I also realized I wasn't in on his Pateron and fixed that.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so... either read War and Peace in one go or watch this

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

CB3

Oct 25, 2017
Another amazing video. Ive only really followed him post-DQ11 video's, but between his video work and some of his writing that is out there, im convinced this guy is a genius.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
i've disagree completely with all of his takes in this video (from L.A Noire to all the praises of Tokimeki Memorial) this time, but the video itself was so entertaining that I enjoyed watch it whole (not in one sitting, though.)

I really like when he says the impact such game had in his life or something he remembers when playing such game, even if it is impossible to confirm if what he says is true or not. I simply love it.
He has a memory condition that makes him to remember stuff in a lot more detail. So I think the stuff he brings up is true.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
watched the full six hours, that was amazing

but what happened on september 15th, 2013?

anyway, super excited for the cyberpunk, LA noire and dracula X reviews

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Never knew there was so much to this game. I'll admit contemporary western coverage coloured my opinion, which is a topic discussed in the video at length.

It does make you wonder how it would have been received if it had been translated at the time. I suspect the early days of the internet wouldn't have generated strong enough word of mouth to combat the inevitable poor reception from the lad mag culture of the time.

But maybe Edge would have given it a 10/10?

Oct 26, 2017
Never knew there was so much to this game. I'll admit contemporary western coverage coloured my opinion, which is a topic discussed in the video at length.

It does make you wonder how it would have been received if it had been translated at the time. I suspect the early days of the internet wouldn't have generated strong enough word of mouth to combat the inevitable poor reception from the lad mag culture of the time.

But maybe Edge would have given it a 10/10?

I've been looking through some mid 90's magazines recently... and holy hell, 95% of the publications out there would have trashed it every way possible and back.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Wow i have to go to bed but this review insists on making me tear up. This is hellllll

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope someone goes through this and cuts out every time Tim says Shiori's name, it feels like that video alone would be close to half an hour long

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I think part of him saying he could do it quickly is he notes that there are no hard words or anything in it, specifically says that for years he would recommend people looking for a beginner level Japanese game to play he would always say Dragon Quest 5, and he feels that Tokimeki is the perfect game for a person at an intermediate level to play, as all the vocab in the game you will be looking up are common, useful phrases and that everything is also voiced
I think also part of it is that he's already played through it 14 times or whatever. So it wouldn't be the same as someone translating it from scratch.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I asked Tim about his recommendation of Dragon Quest V as a good game for someone at a beginner level Japanese and he specified a bit on which version, gonna post it here just in case anyone else was interested.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to like, totally destroy one of the big philosophical points Tim made about the game, but Shinya Arino from Game Center CX in fact got Shiori on his first try playing the game by just going at it rather randomly

lol
Arino is totally the type of otaku that has played the game during his teens. Long before he filmed that episode.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I let the entire thing play in a window while I knocked out multiple rounds of Monster Train.

Tim Rogers is a bit of a mad genius, isn't he? It's pretty brilliant.

Now I also have respect for a game which I'd never heard of and will never play.

Deleted member 85465

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2020
Did I just become a Tokimeki Memorial franchise poser? I don't know, but now I definitely will resume my Japanese language studies I paused 7 years ago.

Also I tried to translate the phrase Tim Roger's best friend said to him in 2008, since I still remember hiragana, but I have no idea what those two kanji are, I got 3 possible (probably completely wrong translations):

"I am dying"

"I am falling sick"

"Its getting stronger"

Maybe it was a declaration of love Tim didn't register? does somebody knows?

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
The Suda anecdote and how he connected it back to the game is increeeedible.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
After finishing, I can say with confidence that this is the best thing I've seen this year lol

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
I can't wait to dig into this based on all the praise it's getting! I know virtually nothing about this game other than a very, very high level understand of the setting and game structure.

Unfortunately, I'm about two Action Button reviews behind. I'll get there though. I more or less learned about Tim from the thread here that announced this Action Button video review series, and I've since been consuming any of his content I can find. (Thanks go out to those who posted in this thread essays from Tim that they've enjoyed; I bookmarked them for future reading.)

"Pot? This is Kettle. Are you reading me...?"
I laughed so hard at this, and even more so because it flew totally over his head. Talk about a lack of self awareness, haha.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks knowing we'll never get to play this, but at the same time it's so awesome to get such a thoughtful deep dive of it. I see how seminal it is to the existence of so many games I love and now I feel connected to Tokimemo in that way at least.

it's crushing when he talks about the sequel though, Tokimemo 2 looks sick lol

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I don't want to like, totally destroy one of the big philosophical points Tim made about the game, but Shinya Arino from Game Center CX in fact got Shiori on his first try playing the game by just going at it rather randomly

lol

I like GCCX but this show has had some bogus moments. In the Street Fighter 2 episode the staff's "continue" counter doesn't match the in-game counter (the last number in your score is the number of continues), and the ending of the Fatal Fury Special episode is impossible, all of a sudden Arino develops a combo technique that requires timing, patience and positioning instead of mashing. That was Nakayama playing.

Most likely:
1.- Arino had played TM before and was familiar with the lore
2.- The staff carried him to get the best ending.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Finished it yesterday. Came back for some parts again today.

I can say this has inspired me somewhat to make some effort to have a better year (not joking)

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
6 hours, the absolute madman. I love Rogers' content though. His FF7R review was cool and I enjoyed learning about his meticulous review process.

Oct 28, 2017
I like GCCX but this show has had some bogus moments. In the Street Fighter 2 episode the staff's "continue" counter doesn't match the in-game counter (the last number in your score is the number of continues), and the ending of the Fatal Fury Special episode is impossible, all of a sudden Arino develops a combo technique that requires timing, patience and positioning instead of mashing. That was Nakayama playing.

Most likely:
1.- Arino had played TM before and was familiar with the lore
2.- The staff carried him to get the best ending.

I've watched a lot of Game Centre CX and he was definitely knee deep in that otaku stuff when he was in his teens and early 20s. He knows too much about a lot of otaku things that no typical person would probably know about. It wouldn't be surprising that he played a lot of Tokimeki or games similar to it in the past. Same deal with his pretty good skill with just about every adventure/puzzle game. He's definitely familiar with the genres, enough to be aware of the tropes at the very least.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
dammit YouTube, i finished all 6 hours of this, stop recommending it to me over and over

Yc_VIl.gif

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Am 2hrs in and decided to sign up for patreon just for Tim Rogers.

Normally just mooch off as much as possible but Rogers deserves some support.

animalcrossed

Oct 28, 2017
Finished the whole 6 hours. Almost made me play Tokimeki through that Google Translate camera. Wish there was a fan translation out there, but assume there's a technical reason.

Shower scenes in that game seem pretty wild though, in an awkward way.

xmassteps

Oct 30, 2017
Is there a list out there of the games he's planning to cover in the future? The LA Noire tease has me excited

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Is there an easy to emulate version of Tokimeki Memorial?
(haven't watched the video yet but I want to play it while listening to Tim's review)

Status
Not open for further replies.