• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
I'm not talking about movies or theatre itself but like when you see actors on tv talking about their profession — everyone they've worked with on their latest project is the smartest, nicest, greatest, most talented human being they've ever met.

I understand a lot of this is just marketing fluff but does it actually work on people? I'm just imagining if you asked some random builder about their work and they replied with a similar answer. They would be probably written off as a delusional weirdo.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Badmouth people and you aren't on their next project or say a couple fluff complements and sign on for millions of dollars for the next movie. Hmmm

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
They are just trying to get another job. Any profession that doesn't really have job security involves some sort of flattery towards your co-workers. Unless you have a lot of power you don't want to be known as being difficult to work with or someone that badmouths people.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
It is like this in a lot of professions. You don't publicly bad mouth people or companies you might one day be working with or for.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
Well the last two posts said what I was gonna say, but seeing people talk unfavorably about their coworkers in Hollywood is interesting since it is so rare

Apr 25, 2020
Method acting in particular is pretty bizarre, and also in some cases dangerous for the actor/actress in question.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say I actually do feel this way about most of the people I've worked with and currently work with. You start building rapport and trust, and it's almoat inevitable you'll end up there.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sports are somewhat similar. Lots of massive but fragile egos in the industry. You've got to tread carefully to be even remotely successful.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
It's a win-win situation.

They get to stay in the good graces of their employers, AND they get to practice their acting skills.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'm not talking about movies or theatre itself but like when you see actors on tv talking about their profession — everyone they've worked with on their latest project is the smartest, nicest, greatest, most talented human being they've ever met.

I understand a lot of this is just marketing fluff but does it actually work on people? I'm just imagining if you asked some random builder about their work and they replied with a similar answer. They would be probably written off as a delusional weirdo.

You mean the idea that people in the workplace are actually nice and helpful to each other? I mean, I get the cynicism but it's not exactly impossible.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's making sure they leave their options open. It's only when they retire or they've already decided they never want to work with that person again that they start talking shit.

Even the video of Christopher Reeve isn't surprising, since it was pretty commonly known at the time that Brando was a dick.

OP
OP
pechorin

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
You mean the idea that people in the workplace are actually nice and helpful to each other? I mean, I get the cynicism but it's not exactly impossible.
I might be crazy but I think there's a middle ground between nice and helpful and "the best and most talented people i've ever met". I know calling someone's argument a straw-man is overused but man you really gave a textbook definition here.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Not too different from athletes and their platitudes. Both jobs are based on performance and it's a volatile job situation if you are not at the top.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Word will get around if you publically badmouth someone faster in the acting industry than probably any other. And then you'll just light a spark in the tabloids or TMZ and they'll be all up in your ass and "X is feuding with Y" because you commented on them sweating one time when it was 100F out.

I just assume "he's the best, greatest, etc" = "i liked working him". More neutral terms like "he really did a good job" = "he was ok", and "there were occasional issues" = "never working with that fucker again". If they go FULL negative, then the person they're talking about must be a grade A piece of shit, like that Spacey clip.

edit: yes I'm exagerrating

it's also an intimate job with long hours and often nutty filming schedules/environments, which can create strong bonds. or the opposite. but you're just not likely to hear people talk much about the latter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pechorin

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
why does everyone seem to think the opposite of the most high praise is badmouthing???? isn't a there a middle ground??

i'm so confused

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Also, acting is a job where they basically explore emotions with each other. I can see how people get easily attached to each other (on top of them being with each other for an intense period of time). That, and being Americans that exaggerate everything ;)

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I'll say I actually do feel this way about most of the people I've worked with and currently work with. You start building rapport and trust, and it's almoat inevitable you'll end up there.

Indeed. 90% of people are likable in my experience. If you're nice to people, they're generally nice to you. Sure, we are shallow and deluded but no species is perfect. Snakes have like, no arms.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
why does everyone seem to think the opposite of the most high praise is badmouthing???? isn't a there a middle ground??

i'm so confused

Show business is all about flattery and praise. In any case there are countless interviews where actors aren't speaking in extremes. If you're referring to publicity interviews, award shows or talk shows then yes of course people are just going to go for top shelf compliments and inspirational anecdotes and whatnot.

Dig a tiny bit deeper to interviewers and interview formats that have more of a dialogue and reflection, like in the actor roundtables videos.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Reminded me of a funny Kubrick story, Malcolm McDowell said when they finished the very contentious Clockwork Orange shoot, Kubrick said really matter-of-factly "So you tell every interviewer that I'm the greatest director you've ever worked with, and I'll tell them you're the greatest actor I've worked with." And Malcolm said he was kinda grossed out by it, but that's just how Hollywood works.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
Show business is all about flattery and praise. In any case there are countless interviews where actors aren't speaking in extremes. If you're referring to publicity interviews, award shows or talk shows then yes of course people are just going to go for top shelf compliments and inspirational anecdotes and whatnot.

Dig a tiny bit deeper to interviewers and interview formats that have more of a dialogue and reflection, like in the actor roundtables videos.

These are really good points as well

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I mean you're not gonna have a good time if you go on an interview and go "Yeah, hes a good actor but boy is a prick. Cant stand the guy. Feel sick everytime I pretend to be his friend in the film."

You often get actors and actresses telling how they really feel long after their careers are done but even then it's rare.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Calling the people you worked with "extremely talented" has just become a generic phrase that everyone says reflexively. Kinda like when your at a restaurant and the waiter asks you how the meal is going so far and you respond with "its going great". It doesn't necessarily mean that its the best meal you've ever had. Its just the polite thing to say in that situation, unless you genuienly have a big problem with it.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

i'm so confused
There's another thing, here. You mentioned the builder example and someone asking them - but I think you mean someone casually asking them.

If you set it up the same where they were being recorded and interviewed (the same way you'd hear an actor talk), said builder would be disingenuously polite as well. Particularly if they were part of a gig economy and were constantly working with different people.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
If you want to see some acting that will make you say "Oh shit that is too much" look no further than Alexei Kravchenko in Elem Klimov's "Come and See" from 1985.

FAIR WARNING: The video contains some pretty violent scenes and holocaust footage

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I hated all of my cowokers. They were really shite. Job was awful and if I had the chance I never would have listened to my agent and would have turned this job down. Who would pay money to see this?

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Method acting in particular is pretty bizarre, and also in some cases dangerous for the actor/actress in question.
I agree. I did theater for the better part of twenty years and never understood why anyone thought method acting was a good idea. It doesn't result in better performances, it just gives the actor in question an excuse to be a piece of shit. Turn that shit off after the scene is over.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
It's part of the psychological contract I think. Keeping up this ideal notion that the movie/whatever was done with the best of intentions and by skilled people. And probably also a way for them to personally preemptively fight against negative reactions, or justify their performance in something they know will not be well received.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I might be crazy but I think there's a middle ground between nice and helpful and "the best and most talented people i've ever met". I know calling someone's argument a straw-man is overused but man you really gave a textbook definition here.
The middle ground doesn't make for an entertaining throwaway 5 minute PR interview though. Don't overthink it.

Oct 25, 2017

They have to fake it because when the veil is removed it can completely ruin shit.

Look at the show Castle for example once it was in the open that the leads hated each other the show just fell apart.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
A major part of acting is contractually enforced promotion. Connections and reputation mean a lot in the industry. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours is what it's all about.

Senior producers, directors, actors, and agents can wield enormous power, making or breaking careers. Naturally, then, it's in your best interest as an actor to speak well of people who can influence your job prospects.

Your career could be ruined if you're seen badmouthing a production you've been a part of, or if your co-workers consider you "difficult." Hollywood can be brutal. Success isn't just about being good at what you do. You have to know how to play the game and follow the unspoken social rules, until you've got enough clout that others worry about staying in your good books.

Last edited:

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I also think social medias and how news are reported by some websites play a part nowadays. It's a big trend to create drama about nothing so I suppose everybody goes extra careful about what they say and there is no place left for a tiny bit of nuance. I have rolled my eyes so many times at some reports of some "feud" between showbiz people while it was just obviously humor or at least just human beings speaking normally.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Most of the time, interview are used to promote movie and the actor/actress getting interviewed. They really don't want to cut ties with people from the industries and making them looks like an asshole for spilling the bean.

Oct 26, 2017
A major part of acting is contractually enforced promotion. Connections and reputation mean a lot in the industry. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours is what it's all about.

Senior producers, directors, actors, and agents can wield enormous power, making or breaking careers. Naturally, then, it's in your best interest as an actor to speak well of people who can influence your job prospects.

Your career could be ruined if you're seen badmouthing a production you've been a part of, or if your co-workers consider you "difficult." Hollywood can be brutal. Success isn't just about being good at what you do. You have to know how to play the game and follow the unspoken social rules, until you've got enough clout that others worry about staying in your good books.
Basically this. Same shit with music. It's quite paradoxical. It's a display of humanity and fragility, but at the end of the day it's still just a job. Being hard to work with because of your own fragility will have you finding yourself quickly left to the side of the road. Gotta put yourself out there, be great at what you do and keep smiling at all cost.

I find it a really cruel environment.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
It's PR for an incredibly superficial and shallow industry, not that hard to figure out.

If you want a bit more sincerity (but keep in mind many still play a role in the in depth interviews) try longer form interviews like Kevin Pollak Chat Show or podcasts like WTF with Marc Maron.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's more weird where you have to watch yourself perform and tweak changes in yourself, although a lot of actors are too scared to see the dailies or final film because they hate to look at themselves or some other insecurity. More intense than what models or voice actors have to do. Must be weird to be a singer too, as a lot of people hate hearing their own voice but in your job, you have to so you can improve. No wonder narcissists can thrive in such a profession.