• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
The following is a translated version of a follow-up article back in December by Hideki Yasuda of the ACE Research Institute, and published at GI.biz Japan as an update to his commentary that was sourced in a recent Bloomberg article regarding Sony's plans regarding the Japanese console market. This article is translated not by me but by a native speaker. No machines here:

jp.gamesindustry.biz

【月間総括】ソニーの「日本市場を大事にしています」を検証する

まず,前回の記事は大変な反響をいただいた。それを見る限り,日本のゲームユーザーはソニー(SIE)に対して静かな怒りを抱いている方が一定数いることが分かる。ここ数年,ソニー(SIE)は明らかに米国市場…

To begin, I received a notable response to my previous article. In reading it, one can see that there are a number of game users who harbor internal anger towards Sony (SIE). In the past few years, we've seen Sony (SIE) become more focused on the U.S. market while beginning to steadily drifting away from Japanese PlayStation users. The intent of my previous article wasn't to ruffle feathers with a sensationalist title, but to inform Sony headquarters and SIE of Japanese PlayStation users' profound feelings of despair; I think it's likely that they have understood that.

However, Sony HQ has told us directly that they value the Japanese market, a comment that we were grateful to hear. I do think it's highly probable that Sony does take Japan seriously. That said, while their feelings are valuable, their actions do not match those feelings. That's why users believe Sony and CEO Jim Ryan have shown disregard for the Japanese market. In mentioning this, one might think this is simply conjecture by the ACE Economic Research Center.

To be a bit more specific,

1. The PS4 launched in 2013, but Japan's release came afterward.
2. After fall 2018, Sony implemented its own regulations on depictions in games, which has censored content aimed at Japanese users
3. The PS5 reveal video had no Japanese narration, while there were issues with the font used for the subtitles as well as their Japanese translations
4. The confirm button was changed from O to X in order to set a global standard
5. Due to manufacturing issues, the initial launch allocation for PS5 in Japan was barely above that of the PS3, preventing the system from reaching early adopters

And so forth. As counterpoints to the above, all that can be said is that E3 and year-end PlayStation sales campaigns (price drops) were implemented on a global basis and that the PS5 launched in Japan at the same time as the rest of the world. In all probability, the PS5's global launch was simply in response to Microsoft's attempt to go on the offensive, with Japan's status as a Tier 2 region remaining unchanged. It's difficult to agree that Sony is taking Japan seriously when taking these measures into account. The main issue concerns the 2nd point above. Aniplex, which is part of the Sony umbrella, is deriving large amounts of income from Fate/Grand Order's swimsuit characters, but on PlayStation, games that depict swimsuits either cannot be sold or have had alterations forced onto them. This is nothing but a double standard. All this does is feed into users' distrust. This policy should immediately be rescinded. However, it unfortunately seems to be taboo for Sony's upper management to breach the topic of censorship, so we predict that ACE Economic Research Institute's opinion will be ignored.

Next, let's look at 25 years of data.

Post-Launch Sales Data for 25 Years' Worth of Consoles
001.jpg

(Source: Famitsu)

As I mentioned previously, PS5 has fallen below PS3 as predicted. Based on this graph, can one really sense that Sony (SIE) has plans for success in the Japanese market? ACE Economic Research Institute cannot see it.

Even then, PS5 sales in the 4th and 5th weeks are around 11,000 units, while the 6th week is 17,000 units. These sales are far too low. Total sales of 240,000 are by far the lowest in the history of PlayStation home consoles. If this were to continue, lifetime sales of PS5 would perhaps end up at less than half of PS4. Such a small penetration poses a threat to Japan's console games market.

Quantitative analysis shows that Sony is not taking Japan seriously. That is why users have accused Sony of disregarding the Japanese market and why it's not unreasonable for those users to feel a sense of hopelessness.

One more point I wanted to make is that SIE shifting its HQ to the US led to its attitude towards Japanese users becoming rather cold, and why SIE has lost its Japanese principles. As mentioned previously, Japanese users aren't likely to channel their dissatisfaction on social media, so US SIE HQ staff might perceive that as the Japanese just politely accepting whatever is given to them, regardless of how cold they have actually become. However, that couldn't be further from the truth: they've simply begun to vanish into the sunset quietly.

With all that taken in account, Sony (SIE) might believe that their high end game experiences are not needed in Japan, where moe is mainstream. The platform maker has lots its motivation to take responsibility in the Japanese market. Early PS5 trends have shown that the PlayStation brand in Japan is in decisive decline and ACE Economic Research Institute cannot help but be disappointed. We think Sony will come to regret this.

Even then, as I said before, half of the global game market is concentrated in the US and there are many people who believe that winning there will round things off neatly. Indeed, in a global context, the Japanese economy has been stagnant for 30 years, and its share of electronic products is now only around 10 percent, which has led Japan to having a thinner presence.

It's not clearly understood why Japan's economy has been sluggish for this long. The ACE Economic Research Institute believes that the increase in single-person households and small living space are major factors, but this isn't the place to discuss this, so let's move on.

With Japan only having a 10 percent share, it's conceivable to see that some may stop caring about it, but is Japan actually a market where game consoles don't sell? Should Japanese users be resigned to accepting this situation?

Yearly Japanese Hardware Sales
002.jpg

(Source: Famitsu)

Shown in this graph are yearly sales of the 3DS, PS4 and Switch from launch. There are years where both the 3DS and Switch have sold over 5 million units. Furthermore, Switch sales in year 4 are incomplete, but show that its peak has surpassed that of the 3DS, showing that concerns about Switch running out of steam are falsehoods. Total sales of Switch have surpassed 17 million units. In all likelihood, total sales will exceed 25 million units.

Also, we have commented that sales (shipments) of Switch in its entire lifecycle may exceed 150 million units. We think that sales are progressing in line with our predictions. On the other hand, PS4 has never sold more than 2 million units in a single year. Final sales in Japan will total around 9.5 million units, below that of the PS3. It's highly likely that total PS4 sales will end up at below half of Switch sales. Even when taking into account the presence of the handheld-only Switch Lite, we can see that PlayStation sales are unambiguously in decline.

What do you think? Does Japan look like a market where games don't sell? Japan is a market where you can be rewarded with 20 million sales for your efforts. Abandoning this market because one thinks photo-realistic games are not mainstream or that non-portable home consoles don't sell is a very problematic business approach, and I can't really feel a strong response from Sony (SIE) in this regard.

Also, if investment markets feel that PS5 is selling, then perhaps they might not perceive of the decline of the Japanese market as a problem at all.

The late Satoru Iwata, Nintendo's former president, was known to avoid using the word "failure" because he thought it had an adverse impact, but the ACE Economic Research Institute believes that admitting when something has failed will lead to success in the next generation.

We still think Sony (SIE) will continue to ignore these points. However, looking at the present situation, in which Sony (SIE) has failed to ship enough PS5s to Japan for the year-end shopping season, we cannot help but be deeply concerned for the future of the PlayStation market in Japan.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Content is king and is essential of creating a healthy ecosystem and sales.

Are the playstation shipments disappointing in JP? Yes

But my conclusion will be that they prioritized markets where the content they have at this time suited towards that market.

Factors such as content, competition, market positioning, TG , logistics , P&L of each regions , stocks and several others factors are taken into consideration on why they decided to allocate the stock.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It's difficult to agree that Sony is taking Japan seriously when taking these measures into account. The main issue concerns the 2nd point above. Aniplex, which is part of the Sony umbrella, is deriving large amounts of income from Fate/Grand Order's swimsuit characters, but on PlayStation, games that depict swimsuits either cannot be sold or have had alterations forced onto them. This is nothing but a double standard. All this does is feed into users' distrust. This policy should immediately be rescinded. However, it unfortunately seems to be taboo for Sony's upper management to breach the topic of censorship, so we predict that ACE Economic Research Institute's opinion will be ignored.

I think there is some conflation here. I think you can be disappointed with Sony's current dedication to the Japanese market and also not want them to engage in the objectification of women. This Hideki Yasuda seems to take it personally that Sony doesn't want to engage with this kind of dubious content.

Personally, I love Japanese developers, and I want to see their unique style given a lot of attention, but I fucking hate that engaging with that content often means running up against some of the worst designs for female characters. If that component (the objectification of women) is truly intrinsically connected to Japanese games as a whole, then I can see why Sony is moving away from the Japanese market (though I personally don't think that is the case).

Last edited:

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely interesting analysis piece, thanks for posting it and thanks to the user who translated it!

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I think there is some conflation here. I think you can be disappointed with Sony's current dedication to the Japanese market and also not want them to engage in the objectification of women. This Hideki Yasuda seems to take it personally that Sony doesn't want to engage with this kind of dubious content.
if this is what "taking Japan seriously" means (it doesnt), then maybe they just shouldnt.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely spot on (PS5 launch and outlook specifically) but unfortunately I expect these issues to be glossed over or hand-waved away, and the writer attacked for no reason, going by recent history.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The main issue concerns the 2nd point above. Aniplex, which is part of the Sony umbrella, is deriving large amounts of income from Fate/Grand Order's swimsuit characters, but on PlayStation, games that depict swimsuits either cannot be sold or have had alterations forced onto them. This is nothing but a double standard. All this does is feed into users' distrust. This policy should immediately be rescinded. However, it unfortunately seems to be taboo for Sony's upper management to breach the topic of censorship, so we predict that ACE Economic Research Institute's opinion will be ignored.
People are seriously still on this?

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
For that point, I think that's more him saying the measure is sort of a half-step. Because they still own a division that heavily profiting off the sex appeal of female characters, but they're still apparently enforcing an additional content review measure for any game on their own platform, even if the game never leaves Japan. Which is a point of contention for both users in Japan who buy Playstation, and developers who had already gone through the traditional rating process and, as written before last year, have to go through a predominately western support branch to go through the other process.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's entirely possible I am misunderstanding this as I do not always parse translated text very well, but am I correct that this chiefly seems to posit 1) PlayStation would be more popular in Japan if Sony had shipped more to the country and 2) the relative popularity of the Switch should speak to the potential popularity of the PlayStation 4/5?

Separately from this, I find the comments about sexy swimsuit costumes very bizarre, both in the complaint they're making and the fact they mention it at all.

To be clear on my perspective, I think the fact Sony has shifted its attention towards western markets and now treat Japan like a downstream market is pretty observable and not really a matter of dispute. But for a research article, this isn't what I expected to see in the content. Thank you for posting the translation, however. It is always welcome to hear from Japanese consumers since we rarely have the opportunity.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
It's pretty clear that Sony has no interest in making games targeting the Japanese audience, they are after the western market and with how PS4 performed it's understandable.

Japan is Nintendoland and no matter how many big IPs Sony will try to moneyhat or secure Nintendo and their portfolio is always going to have an edge over there.

Sony won't lose the big japanese titles for obvious reasons, western markets are very important for the likes of Square Enix, Capcom etc....but still, leaving Japan to Nintendo is not the best move.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
Extremely interesting analysis piece, thanks for posting it and thanks to the user who translated it!

I agree
I think that it would be ok for Sony to just admit that they prefer to focus/see their contents better fitting the Western markets at this point
It's not bad nor a mistake, considering their ww numbers in both hw and sw - it is pretty clear that this is a good strategy for them and that probably to re-gain meaningful numbers in Japan they would be forced to jeopardize partially their very strong market placement

Deleted member 18324

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Personally, I love Japanese developers, and I want to see their unique style given a lot of attention, but I fucking hate that engaging with that content often means running up against some of the worst designs for female characters. If that component (the objectification of women) is truly intrinsically connected to Japanese games as a whole, then I can see why Sony is moving away from the Japanese market (though I personally don't think that is the case).

The complaint is the hypocrisy that objectification is all well and good when Sony wants to court mobile game whales, but is objectionable to Sony when 3rd parties want to publish the same kind of content on PlayStation.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At least it shows Japan carrying for the PlayStation, and even without the pandemic I wouldn't have excepted huge sales. But the worldwide logistic is so weird that waiting at least one or two semesters seems the minimum to show if it's a trend or not.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The article also glissed about what I think is one of the major issues: games from Japanese devs have to be submitted for certification to Playstation in the US in english, even if the game is japanese only. That was reportedly a pretty big issues to some devs.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is shipping less PS5's to Japan on a week to week basis then they do to Spain, a country with substantially less than half the population, which should make it obvious that Japan is no longer foremost in their thoughts. They also don't seem to be making games that target the JP market.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony needs to keep courting Japanese developers and building/acquiring their own Japanese studios (that focus on making Japanese games). Even if their games don't often make the megabucks, their unique style and approach add a lot of variety to their game lineup. That being said, the otaku-bait should be left on the curb.

The complaint is the hypocrisy that objectification is all well and good when Sony wants to court mobile game whales, but is objectionable to Sony when 3rd parties want to publish the same kind of content on PlayStation.

That argument feels weak to me (the author's argument, that is). I fail to see any genuine hypocrisy there. Sony has their own ecosystem in which they want to establish certain standards. When they are releasing games in another ecosystem they are obviously going to have to play by a different set of rules.

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony needs to keep courting Japanese developers and building/acquiring their own Japanese studios (that focus on making Japanese games). Even if their games don't often make the megabucks, their unique style and approach add a lot of variety to their game lineup. That being said, the otaku-bait should be left on the curb.

I do miss the sony that would push stuff like Jumping Flash and Arc the Lad.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering stuff like the bikini armor in Persona 3/5 Dancing or 13 Sentinels' nudity I question just how strict this apparent censorship must be now.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Don't look much different than we have talked several times on other threads, the question now is if the AAA Japanese third parties will be happy with this situation the next years, in the case that HW JP sales don't improve. Or maybe they'll follow the same route than Sony.

Sony has shipped less PS5's to Japan then they have to Spain, a country with substantially less than half the population, which should make it obvious that Japan is no longer foremost in their thoughts. They also don't seem to be making games that target the JP market.

Spain get batches of 10-15k each 2 -3 weeks and the initial batch was inferior too. Probably it's the closest that Spain has been in a console launch to Japan but it's still behind.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems like Sony is counting on exclusivity from people like Square and Atlus to handle the Japanese side of things.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the translation.

No surprise here, Sony basically surrendered Japan since this Summer and PlayStation sales this year have been abysmal. 800k units for the PS4 and PS5 combined.

2021 won't be much better.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's entirely possible I am misunderstanding this as I do not always parse translated text very well, but am I correct that this chiefly seems to posit 1) PlayStation would be more popular in Japan if Sony had shipped more to the country and 2) the relative popularity of the Switch should speak to the potential popularity of the PlayStation 4/5?

Separately from this, I find the comments about sexy swimsuit costumes very bizarre, both in the complaint they're making and the fact they mention it at all.

To be clear on my perspective, I think the fact Sony has shifted its attention towards western markets and now treat Japan like a downstream market is pretty observable and not really a matter of dispute. But for a research article, this isn't what I expected to see in the content. Thank you for posting the translation, however. It is always welcome to hear from Japanese consumers since we rarely have the opportunity.

The point about the Switch is about people being dismissive of the Japanese market as one that is dying, or irrelevant, and suggesting that PlayStation are putting in as much effort as the market merits.

The article also glissed about what I think is one of the major issues: games from Japanese devs have to be submitted for certification to Playstation in the US in english, even if the game is japanese only. That was reportedly a pretty big issues to some devs.

Yes, that's the actual issue with the "content restrictions", not whether or not it's okay to have it. Sony had(?) vague and inconsistent guidance that wouldn't be clear to developers until they submitted and they all of the correspondence has to be done in English regardless.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis

Currently playing Dragon Quest XI S and that game... 80 hours in, and I just ran through a patch last night so ridculously offensive that I can not believe I hadn't read about more people being pissed at Square Enix. It's one of the primary reasons I stopped playing JRPGs back in the day and the first time I dip my toe back in the water...huge bleeping sharks. Women and LGBT too, which was last night's bout of awful.

I"m an adult, but if I bought this cartoony-looking game for a kid and then saw/heard this on the living room tv, I'd grab a hammer and smash that Switch cart so bad. Should absolutely come with a warning label. "T for Teen", my ass. And we why there's toxic masculinity in the world.

There's so much good in this game that I'd want to promote and champion, but I absolutely would not/could not in good conscience recommend it to any of my HS students. It's not a couple instances. It's recurring and pervasive throughout the whole 100 hours.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
If you really think your audience is too bigoted for the types of games you want to create, there's no easy way to message that.

I don't think Microsoft's strategy has anything to do with their simultaneous Japanese launch. They certainly don't have to worry about Microsoft there, and there are similar regions they could have ignored if they so chose. The fact that they launched in Japan at the same time shows they at least care about the perception.

They obviously do care about Japanese focused users and titles. Hence the timed FFXVI and new Square Enix game focus.

One of the main problems they have to contend with is that Japan is not as interested in a dedicated home console. I think that this territory is the only one where the Vita wasn't a laughing stock underscores this.

That's a very tough thing to accommodate when you have a proven platform in PS4 of 120 million units nearly. Many of their most successful titles hinge on the power and usage model of that platform, so there's no easy way for them to accommodate the Japanese model. And though the Switch's hybrid model is wildly successful, they can't copy it without performance regression.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Please stop using the censorship of under age girls being groped as a reason to use against a company taking a region's market seriously. Come on.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Spain get batches of 10-15k each 2 -3 weeks and the initial batch was inferior too. Probably it's the closest that Spain has been in a console launch to Japan but it's still behind.

You're correct about the initial shipment, I meant on a weekly basis but screwed up the post, my mistake. Need to find again where I saw that...

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you really think your audience is too bigoted for the types of games you want to create, there's no easy way to message that.

I don't think Microsoft's strategy has anything to do with their simultaneous Japanese launch. They certainly don't have to worry about Microsoft there, and there are similar regions they could have ignored if they so chose. The fact that they launched in Japan at the same time shows they at least care about the perception.

They obviously do care about Japanese focused users and titles. Hence the timed FFXVI and new Square Enix game focus.

One of the main problems they have to contend with is that Japan is not as interested in a dedicated home console. I think that this territory is the only one where the Vita wasn't a laughing stock underscores this.

That's a very tough thing to accommodate when you have a proven platform in PS4 of 120 million units nearly. Many of their most successful titles hinge on the power and usage model of that platform, so there's no easy way for them to accommodate the Japanese model. And though the Switch's hybrid model is wildly successful, they can't copy it without performance regression.

The problem with the bolded is that Vita really wasn't that successful in Japan. The PS4 has outsold it by a decent margin, and even somewhat pessimistic projections for the PS5 would have it outselling Vita in Japan.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't look much different than we have talked several times on other threads, the question now is if the AAA Japanese third parties will be happy with this situation the next years, in the case that HW JP sales don't improve. Or maybe they'll follow the same route than Sony.
The triple A companies (as far as their big budget games go) won't really be affected too much with all of this. The writing was more or less on the wall when it came to Sony's Japan presence back in the heyday of the PS4, yet Sony are still getting the big triple A games because they now have more of a worldwide base to cover the slack on the lagging sales in Japan. That's likely also why some companies like Capcom are noted to be making more moves with their games that are seen as more western in appeal. This is mostly hurting non-triple A games and companies.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This dude seems to have taken Sony's stance on the swimsuits personally lol.

Does that game objectify minors?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The point about the Switch is about people being dismissive of the Japanese market as one that is dying, or irrelevant, and suggesting that PlayStation are putting in as much effort as the market merits.
My follow up thoughts are this then: The Switch and the PlayStation are fundamentally different machines which offer completely different experiences in their usage. For many years I have heard that The Switch is not proof consoles can still do well in Japan, but in fact the opposite. The success of the Switch is because it is not a traditional console and for other manufacturers to compete they would need to create a similarly compact and portable device that de-emphasizes complimenting technology (i.e. 4K HDR TVs) in favor of the holistic and self-contained experience of the Switch.

So the perspective of this article is different from the one I am usually seeing. It is usually the Switch that is held up as the definitive proof the console market in Japan has moved in a different direction rather than evidence of console viability. It is hard for me to imagine the PlayStation 5 doing well for any of the reasons the Switch has done well.

But as always in these conversations I do not have any actual firsthand experience with what I am talking about. This is a topic I want to understand but am the first to admit I do not. I find the discussion interesting despite not having a strong grasp on it.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of context lame joke, please ignore.

"Game need to be more sexy to sale in Japan!"

/me look at Animal Crossing and Momotaro. Mmmmmmmmmhmmmm, lewwddd

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I think the bigger question is whether the Japanese market as it stands today and what it looks to be growing into in the near future worth the kind of investment from Sony that many seem to desire and demand. I'm not so sure and that isn't to say the market is worthless or anything but Sony's focus the last decade does not seem to mesh well with what Japanese gamers actually want (outside of their mobile gaming ventures) and I can't see it being worth the large amount of time, money and effort to win back a single countries worth of gamers compared to the incredible gains Sony has made the world over with their current very successful strategy.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The problem with the bolded is that Vita really wasn't that successful in Japan. The PS4 has outsold it by a decent margin, and even somewhat pessimistic projections for the PS5 would have it outselling Vita in Japan.
And that was after Sony abandoned it pretty early on. It lived off of third party support and had very high attach rates from what I can tell. The point was to mainly illustrate how the Japanese market is unique though. I don't think any other territory approached how well the Vita did in Japan by any metric.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you meant that total PS5 sales in Japan is still below the day one UK shipment.

I didn't, but that's pretty bad too given our population is about half of Japan's lol

They could have sold all these units in Japan too. But I suppose they chose their allocation based on where they see continued sales later, and on that basis Japan isn't important as things stand. But it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy after a while when you don't do anything to change things.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, kinda pointless comparing to the Switch when it's a portable and the PS4/PS5 aren't. It's common knowledge that dedicated consoles have been selling less and less in the region for years.

And unfortunately for Japan both the 360 and the PS4 have shown that you can be ridiculously successful even if you don't sell much in Japan.

I'd love for Sony to fund more Japanese projects but it should surprise no one that their focus is outside of Japan.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
That argument feels weak to me (the author's argument, that is). I fail to see any hypocrisy there. Sony has their own ecosystem in which they want to establish certain standards. When they are releasing games in another ecosystem they are obviously going to have to play by a different set of rules.

There shouldn't be a different set of rules Sony shouldn't allow its own Playstation division to play content police that would possibly demand changes for Sony's own game if lets say Aniplex published a console FGO game or whatever. Not to mention the Playstation divison stands out like a sore thumb with its weird policy and attitude towards Jp games while Sony as a whole is making a bigger push towards capitalizing on Anime.

Seems clear that Playstation doesn't give a shit about Jp games and the Japanese market unless its a Square or Capcom game. Playstation doesn't care about people on Playstation having the biggest variety of Japanese games to play on the platform from weird niche game to big AAA. They seem more than fine slowly pushing smaller devs away from the platform.

Unless Playstation starts losing notable titles I don't see anything changing and even then there wouldn't be a change ro their strategy in regards to Jp games as a whole they would just try and get these notable games back

Jan 20, 2019
I didn't, but that's pretty bad too given our population is about half of Japan's lol

They could have sold all these units in Japan too. But I suppose they chose their allocation based on where they see continued sales later, and on that basis Japan isn't important as things stand. But it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy after a while when you don't do anything to change things.

No, they chose the allocantion base on Xbox competition and software sales, Japan is the second biggest PS4 market in terms of hardware but is far below the UK in terms of software, that is basicaly the reason.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, kinda pointless comparing to the Switch when it's a portable and the PS4/PS5 aren't. It's common knowledge that dedicated consoles have been selling less and less in the region for years.

And unfortunately for Japan both the 360 and the PS4 have shown that you can be ridiculously successful even if you don't sell much in Japan.

I'd love for Sony to fund more Japanese projects but it should surprise no one that their focus is outside of Japan.
You should ask yourselves why home consoles stopped selling as well as before. It is not like Japanese people woke up in the middle of the Wii's lifecycle and realized they didnt want to buy home consoles anymore.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Presumably this hasn't always been the case? It seems wild to me - did this need to be done during the PS3/PS2 era? Or a modern Sony initiative?

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the article loses and and all credibility when it starts talking about censorship by Sony of "japan specific media"/.

It's called paedophilia. Stop trying to pretend its a cultural issue.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
In the end Sony can't do any miracles.
Japan's mindset in terms of consoles has changed and the home console model Sony does doesn't appeal to them.

Sony can keep trying but...for what? To tell less than 10M consoles there theis gen anyway?