• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 15, 2019
I'm curious Which model the OP was in, because a Model 3 that does 0-60 in 5 seconds is a lot different from a Model S P100D that will launch you from 0-60 in 2.3 seconds.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Lol. No I don't. Good grief. Motors don't mean squat if you can't put the power down. No a leaf doesn't feel fun when you floor it if you're used to a decently accelerating car in the first place. I don't even lol.

Yes the model S p100 has a 2.5 0-60 the rs7 ice motor has a 2.3 0-60 and the Porsche turbo ice motor has a 0-60 of 2.2. Your point? Look you're wrong and it's ok to be wrong but you're really dying on this silly hill of marketing mumbo jumbo and it's sad.

The p100d is 120k right? If so it's not even the fastest accelerating sedan car in a 1/4 mile in its price range. Give it up. Much less fastest accelerating car. It's also not the fastest 0-60 sedan in its price range before you try and nitpick.

Electric motors aren't gods gift and you know how long it takes an ice motor to reach peak tq off the line? Milliseconds. That's actually good it allows the tires time to flex and recover off the line. Immediate max power only is good if you have massive grip that usually isn't available.

Honestly it's you that has a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes a vehicle fast off the line. Or fast in general apparently.

I'll post this one more time since you haven't watched it obviously
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QhZAw8HaTJo

I know you won't realize how wrong you are but if you truly think AWD is what makes electric cars fast and not the instant torque of electric motors, then how do you explain electric cars without AWD being quicker off the line than most non-EV gas engine cars with AWD?
Batteries in EVs put a lot of weight on the ground and that adds to the grip even without needing AWD. As others have already said it's simple physics that apply.
I'll leave it at that, though.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Once again an engine being on/off without awd is pretty much useless/dangerous. Idk where this idiotic bullet point first came from but it's just dishonest and ridiculous. Anyone that understands what makes a car actually fast will tell you on/off torque is absolutely not how to do it. It's terrible without a preponderance of grip supplied by awd. So it is awd that makes Tesla's able to be fast. Idk how many time or how else I can say this.

If it was the on off nature of electric motors then I couldn't post this showing ICE vehicles beating Tesla's off the line.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QhZAw8HaTJo
Why? Because awd is much more of a factor than some silly marketing bullet point.

Idk what you're talking about how ice cars have to go through the gears lol. You select a launch rpm and carry it any decent sports car doesn't have to row gears to reach max power and it usually lines up with your available grip. Once again this sounds like someone that magazine races and hasn't actually driven these cars like I have.
I have a Fiat 500e. It's not AWD. It can out-accelerate any sports car from a stopped redlight. I don't know what you are talking about.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I grew up in a town that is very active in the "raggar"-community in Sweden.

Basically, greaser rednecks who spend all of their time and money on their muscle cars.

Because of this, I can't fucking stand the noise of a speeding car. It just makes me rage.

Jan 15, 2019
Don't read the news much, do you?
While I think 50 years is a little generous, I also don't think electric cars are going to take over within the next 10 years either. I'm in LA which is probably one of the most electric car friendly areas in the entire US (California even gives you $2,500 just for buying an electric car) and yet they still comprise like 2% of all cars on the road. In my hometown it's so rare to see an electric car that, in my last visit, I don't recall seeing a single electric vehicle over the course of 5 days. It'll likely be about 20 years before electric cars are more common in any given town/city than ICE vehicles, and he's probably right that it'll be close to 50 years before enthusiasts largely give up on them as well.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. Fuck noise.
Just ask your parents to notice you, if you want to be loud.

When you rev match down to second from 50mph and the engine goes

WARGLE
BORGLE
MORGLE
FORGLE
Motherfuckin
POP

Gorgeous car but that noise... lol. Ridiculous that one person has to ruin the public space with that. You might as well just fart constantly so everybody is walking in your fart smell.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The I-Pace lets you mix in the amount of fake engine noise you want to hear - In my opinion its not really working since it clashes with the high pitched whiny noise from e-motors.

But I totally get the OP. After driving a couple of EVs myself there is no difference in emotion to the cars, they all feel samey.
Some people might say that's complete bullshit, but for enthusiasts enjoying the "emotional" aspect is kind of a thing. That includes sound, rumbling and the perceived "danger" of it all. A high revving engine sound from a V8 is something a lot of people are conditioned to asociate with cool/desirable.

Some folks like the sound and feel of a mechanical keyboard, its old tech, big and costs a lot - yet there is more emotion to typing on it then on a rubberdome keyboard that you can find on the most cutting edge Macbooks.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't driven that many nice cars, but the one that seemed the loudest inside definitely weren't the most fun to drive.

The nicest cars I've driven fyi, not sure exact models or year:
Lambo (least comfortable but fun, pretty dang loud)
Maserati (loudest by far and not that fun to drive, underwhelming for sure)
Porsche 911 (most fun I've had driving, less loud than lambo and Maserati)
Rolls Royce (comfy and smooth and quiet, not underwhelming to accelerate in)
A few different Bentley's (normal nice cars, quiet, underwhelming acceleration for sure)

I've ridden in a higher end Tesla (not with the rocket speed thing) and acceleration as a passenger was satisfying. Noise doesn't add anything besides noise, which adds no value to the experience based on what I've seen and felt.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
I'm with the OP on this. Different horses for different courses.

It doesn't have to deafen you to become exciting but, when accelerating in a Tesla (even a P100D), there's a distinct lack of drama and the ride (most notably as a passenger) can become quite nauseating which many owners have complained about.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
As long as it takes you from point A to point B without killing anyone or polluting too much, why would you need a 'fanfare'? Or is it an American/toxic masculinity thing?

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
But what about all that classic car-focused cinema when ICE becomes obsolete?
How are we going to feel about that art form?

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought those were good things.
giphy.gif

Underrated post and completely agree, I dont want to hear your noisy ass cars people!

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cars aren't anywhere near as loud as these <insert offensive term used on Southpark here>

Some are, car enthusiasts and Harley riders piss me off when they have my car literally shaking and my ears hurting when they pass.

Same goes for assholes with high bass. Needs to be illegal and fined everywhere.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is so weird. Like, ok you could care less for engine sounds? What's with all the attacking each other though? You guys take the simplest stuff and turn everything into a crusade and if you aren't crusading with me you are a baby/idiot etc.

And that goes for both viewpoints on this topic.

Bring on the hyrbids and electric cars. There are cool. But if you can't comprehend why people love their car engine sounds, like this hasn't been a thing since the first Model T engine upgrade then you are just blind and def.

EDIT - Everyone is equating engine noise with the loudest thing in their heads they can think of, which is also strange.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Doesn't make sense to keep arguing with you. Stick to the comment sections at AutoBlog.

I'll just leave this here.

electric_motor_speed_vs_torque_power.png

versus a gas engine:

power_torqued485bb12c37c4f86a147f8f91f7021e0.gif
This is proving my point that you guys don't get it lol. I'm very well aware of engine power curves I've had multiple cars and bikes tuned.
I know you won't realize how wrong you are but if you truly think AWD is what makes electric cars fast and not the instant torque of electric motors, then how do you explain electric cars without AWD being quicker off the line than most non-EV gas engine cars with AWD?
Batteries in EVs put a lot of weight on the ground and that adds to the grip even without needing AWD. As others have already said it's simple physics that apply.
I'll leave it at that, though.
Except I've literally posted examples of that not being true in this thread. A rearward weight bias helps for straight line grip but even then at a certain point you need more grip. Rearward weight bias also isn't great for handling.

I like how you think I'm wrong about awd and then basically agree grip is necessary to actually have a good off the line time which is why the p100D can even hang with the likes of the rs7 and turbo 911. Lol

I have a Fiat 500e. It's not AWD. It can out-accelerate any sports car from a stopped redlight. I don't know what you are talking about.
No it can't. Period full stop. You're dreaming or lying one or the other and this is easily verifiable.

https://www.caranddriver.com/fiat/500e

We have people in this thread claiming their 147ftlb/tq car can out accelerate any sports car lol. Whew I mean I can't spell it out any better than that.

Last edited:

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
fake shifts on your cvt. fake noise on your quiet engine. it's like super weird these measures have to be taken to pretend that cars haven't changed.

Typhest

Oct 26, 2017

I'm relatively sure that the 500e does 0-60 in something like 9 seconds. I'm not sure what sports cars (or minivans) you are out accelerating in that thing.

I have to disagree about the acceleration in the Tesla though. Sure there is less fanfare but hitting 60 in sub 3 seconds was pretty thrilling when I got to ride along in a P100D. My car does it in mid 4's and now it feels slow.

Oct 29, 2017
This thread is so weird. Like, ok you could care less for engine sounds? What's with all the attacking each other though? You guys take the simplest stuff and turn everything into a crusade and if you aren't crusading with me you are a baby/idiot etc.

Because this is Era and Tesla is our savior and anybody who doesnt think Teslas are clearly the best cars of all time and everything they do is perfect is a traitor to the survival of the human race and nothing more than a sleeveless, beer chugging neanderthal who's favorite words are homophobic slurs.

Back to the topic. Imagine a big ass explosion in a movie, its got the huge fireball, shit is thrown 50 ft, etc....but it doesnt make a sound. The sound adds something to the experience, its not everything but it is less dramatic. That's all OP is saying.[/QUOTE]

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
The BMW i8 (a $160k coupe) does this, it plays a throaty V8 sound in the cabin when you press the gas, but the actual car is a 3-cylinder plug-in hybrid.

I think all 4-cyl BMWs do this. Including the lowest end 2 and 3 series. When you turn it off, the engine makes a quieter, higher pitched whine.

The higher pitch is not as satisfying viscerally to most buyers (you can bet your sweet butt BMW and others have done a ton of focus testing before implementing this feature).

Personally, I fell in love with the Model S acceleration the day I tried it, and I think the vehicle noise will end up being a customizable thing. I'd rather listen to awesome music than to engine noise, so i would disable it.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Sound engineers are a very real job in the auto industry and are making their way to electric cars very soon. I think, legally, already, in some places they're required to play a sounds under a certain speed to notify pedestrians that a car is going by, but over that sound the wind resistance makes is sufficient.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood the fascination with this type of thing, does driving a car have to give you an erection?

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I've never understood the fascination with this type of thing, does driving a car have to give you an erection?

You don't understand the thrill of being in control of a dangerously fast state-of-the-art transportation vehicle? Yes you do. Of course you do.

I'm sure you can step outside the realm of your own passioned proclivities to understand this basic concept.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I've slammed my foot down in a Gallardo and I've done it in a Model S and I can say that the just sheer acceleration force and the fact that there's no noise and the acceleration curve being so smooth that the Model S takes the cake fucking easily. Electric cars are the future

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You don't understand the thrill of being in control of a dangerously fast state-of-the-art transportation vehicle? Yes you do. Of course you do.

I'm sure you can step outside the realm of your own passioned proclivities to understand this basic concept.

It's just a tool to get me places.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017

Does watching wrestling give you an erection? I never understood the fascination with it.

Some people like building super expensive computers, others like wrestling, and others are into cars etc. We don't all have to like the same things and that's okay.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017

And that goes for both viewpoints on this topic.

Bring on the hyrbids and electric cars. There are cool. But if you can't comprehend why people love their car engine sounds, like this hasn't been a thing since the first Model T engine upgrade then you are just blind and def.

EDIT - Everyone is equating engine noise with the loudest thing in their heads they can think of, which is also strange.

lol truth

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
There are even cars with gas engines that add fake engine noise with speakers. I personally find the practice pathetic.
I'm all for added sounds of some sort... if only for the pedestrians/cyclists/motorcyclists to hear an approaching car. When an electric car sneaks up on you and the driver is careless, it's terrifying.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I've never driven a legit sports car, but I usually drive an Audi TT or an Audi A3, and accelerating feels so damn good.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Pertaining to electric motors and torque, they do make instant torque but the limiting factor is how much of that power can be translated to the ground through the tires. They have an advantage over basically all but high end engine setups so their efficiency and linear power delivery can't be denied, but there is a limiter.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Soon complaining about this very thing will be one of the factor that distinguish old people from young ones.
I for one welcome silent vehicles.

I as an older person (40 something), like the idea of a fast, silent car.... feels futuristic if you ask me (and makes it feel more magical). But as a gearshift driver I also like some engine noise ;). So I'm fine either way. Oh yeah, and I'm definitely old when it comes to, "Younger people these days don't even know how to drive gearshift" *shakes fist*.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Discussing the topic of car noise on this forum has always been an exercise infutility. Past threads we've had on exhaust components and catback mods are proof of that.

--

This seems like a fairly trivial thing that Tesla will patch in at some point I think. I forget who it was specifically but there are definitely other car manufacturers outfitting their vehicles with very realistic sounding engine drone.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
If cars are like vroom vroom toys to you and you need that big sound, then I'm cool with it as long as it's environmentally safe (even though I find the noise to be super annoying) and if the idea of speakers bothers you then maybe we can find a middle ground by inventing environmentally safe cars that make proper analog sounds and don't pollute (if it doesn't already exist). I think we can all win that way.

However, if you're prioritizing your toys over a safe environment, then, well... fuck off... because we all lose in the end that way.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I feel like some people on here don't realize you can have a car that makes nice engine noise and at the same time isn't deafening loud.

My car sounds nice when I'm on the throttle and rev it up, but just driving normally its not really any louder than any other car.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Making fun of people that enjoy sports cars, feeling connected to them, etc...is the same as making fun of people for liking video games or a certain phone.

Someone doesn't have to be some muscle loving "insecure man" to like sports cars and the roar of an engine. Some of you are being massive jerks with dense opinions on this stuff.

We have 3 different forms of vehicles in my household. My fiancees new nearly silent Honda, my new pretty silent (turbo charged) Explorer, and then my weekend car is a Manual convertible Mustang. Yes, the Mustang probably isn't what I want to drive every day, but I LOVE the feel of shifting and the roar as you drive it on curvy roads or on a weekend trip. (not as fun in a city though)

I get what the OP is saying, and I agree 100%. Love the acceleration of electric vehicles, but it does feel weird and disconnected to me.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Pertaining to electric motors and torque, they do make instant torque but the limiting factor is how much of that power can be translated to the ground through the tires. They have an advantage over basically all but high end engine setups so their efficiency and linear power delivery can't be denied, but there is a limiter.
can you spin the tires? I've never driven a Tesla but I imagine I'd have fun with one.

Do they make manual transmission models? Imagine dumping the clutch in a Tesla, yee haw.