ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Neither would ever get a BP nom though.

Right, that's my point. Black Panther should get one. It's one of the best reviewed films this year, with a better review average than some Best Picture nominees last year. With 10 possible slots for Best Picture, two or three of those should absolutely go to films that might fall in the "Best Popular" category as long as those films are acclaimed.

This year? It's Black Panther and Mission: Impossible -- Fallout. Two slots out of 10. That is what will help ratings and get casual audiences interested. Creating a nonsense category for them misses the point completely.

Deleted member 21601

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well they kept giving the best picture award to realy uninteresting movies like Hurt Locker. And always ignored what the actual people that watch movies like. So its a good choice.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
This is so stupid lol. Giving awards during commercial breaks? What is this? a Geoff Keighley show?
People have complained for years about the show running too long. They could either cut down on comedy monologues and performances and stick to just handing out awards, reduce the number of awards they hand out or hand out awards off air. People have also complained about films which are really popular not being nominated and the Academy being out of touch with audiences. Both of these thinngs are claimed to be the primary reasons behind falling viewership, so the changes being made is Academy's solution.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
I think this makes sense. The Oscars for the past decade seem to only nominate artsy/Oscar bait movies. It makes them look out of touch, when a bunch of films no one has ever heard get nominated (even if they are objectively the best of the best). They want to increase public interest. Kind of like how the Grammys actually nominated a bunch of high scoring albums for AOTY (and 24K Magic).

Popular movie could bring in movies that are in the cultural zeitgeist. Things like IT, Mission Impossible, The Big Sick, Etc.

Has there ever been a time when the Best Picture winner was consistently a big blockbuster? There seem to have been a few outliers in the last thirty years, but for the most part Best Picture winners do pretty well at box office even if they aren't billion dollar sellers.

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Before this, I would definitely vouch that Black Panther would get a BP nomination, even if it was just tokenism.

Right, but then they would get accused of tokenism b/c Black Panther doesn't really fit the mold of a typical BP film.

This new category allows them to nominate it, or even give it an Oscar without sullying the "prestige" of the best picture category. So in a sense this move can be seen as tokenism if they did it with Black Panther in mind.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So BP is not gonna get BP nom, huh. But still gonna get best popular movie, lol. It just have no idea how to react to this

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
This seems dumb as it only serves to placate people who never really cared about the Oscars to begin with. The people who are complaining that (insert better than usual action film) didn't get a best picture nom probably never saw any of the other films in the category.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like this will come back and bite them in the ass. It feels like a convenient way for them to push all the minority films (like Get Out, Wonder Woman, and most likely Black Panther and Crazy Rich Asians) that do amazingly well and are well made films to a separate category while keeping Best Picture mainly "White" films.
...what?
This has nothing to do with minority films being screwed from best picture nominations.

This is all simply to allow blockbuster films to coexist with the smaller, classics films and be recognized for their accomplishments.

3/8 best picture nominees were minority based films in 2017.
4/8 in 2018.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
"Best Popular Movie" is like some MTV Movie Awards tier shit. Might as well have Best Kiss. Oscars should just stay in their lane. Young people are never going to give a shit.

Well they kept giving the best picture award to realy uninteresting movies like Hurt Locker. And always ignored what the actual people that watch movies like. So its a good choice.

Make Award Shows Great Again!

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Has there ever been a time when the Best Picture winner was consistently a big blockbuster? There seem to have been a few outliers in the last thirty years, but for the most part Best Picture winners do pretty well at box office even if they aren't billion dollar sellers.
The last real big box office hit to win was The King's Speech in 2010. A couple since then haven't even cracked 100 million before that was probably ROTK in 2003.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck this bullshit...

I don't blame Marvel fans, I rather blame the Academy that doesn't have the guts to ignore that overhyped trash.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I like the change. There are popular movies that are legit outstanding movies, like Black Panther, Get Out, Wonder Woman, Captain America: The Winter Solider, and other blockbusters that were actually worth watching. Yet, most of the movies I mentioned weren't exactly crafted with the excellence that a Best Picture nomination asks. The "oscar bait" movies can continued to be nominated in Best Picture while other blockbuster movies not quite up to snuff in execution can get the recognition they deserve.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Right, that's my point. Black Panther should get one. It's one of the best reviewed films this year, with a better review average than some Best Picture nominees last year. With 10 possible slots for Best Picture, two or three of those should absolutely go to films that might fall in the "Best Popular" category as long as those films are acclaimed.

This year? It's Black Panther and Mission: Impossible -- Fallout. Two slots out of 10. That is what will help ratings and get casual audiences interested. Creating a nonsense category for them misses the point completely.
I don't see them sticking to 10 films per best film category. Even now it's not a requirement that a minimum of 10 be nominated, it can be anywhere between 5 to 10.

Edit: Actually nvm I see what you're saying.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't really like the Popular Movie thing. I don't think we need to turn the Oscars into the people's choice awards.

KingFox

May 17, 2018
I hope they start sliming winners next. Imagine seeing Meryl Streep in her 60k Valentino dress getting dumped in slime. Now that's entertainment.

Also I can't wait to see IW beat BP.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
That "Best Popular Movie" award is nonsense. These aren't the People's Choice Awards.

If you want mainstream audiences to tune in to your awards show, do what Geoff Keighley does with the Game Awards and line up exclusive trailers of popular movies to premiere DURING the Oscar telecast.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Shouldn't "best popular movie" just actually be "most popular movie" to make the award make some amount of sense? I mean, what makes something the best at being popular is that it is the most popular right? So basically whatever the highest grossing movie is should always get the award...and at that point, why even have the award? There is no point having nominees anyway when the most popular movie is always going to be known by everyone prior to the award being given out.

Oct 25, 2017
Neil Breen getting that oscar!

(Or D'Souza...)

If you remember how the 'sad puppies' fucked up literature awards, you'd know that going with mob voting is always going to end badly.

Also, the shorter runtime is likely due to less people watching it on tv.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Popular movies?
That's it, comic books have killed cinema. Hope you nerds are happy :(

Only about 80% joking.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't "best popular movie" just actually be "most popular movie" to make the award make some amount of sense? I mean, what makes something the best at being popular is that it is the most popular right? So basically whatever the highest grossing movie is should always get the award...and at that point, why even have the award? There is no point having nominees anyway when the most popular movie is always going to be known by everyone prior to the award being given out.
How about Best Big Budget movie?
Cant wait for "Best Disney movie" category.
That's already Best Animated Feature Film.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's there so 10 movies can slap "Nominated for Oscar!" in their marketing.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Best popular movie? God, Disney and Marvel are going to have a hold on this award for eons. What's the qualification, that it grossed over a certain amount at the BO? Might as well bring in the Razzies as part of the ceremony too.

Feels like they're doing this so that when BP doesn't get a best picture nom, they don't face a ton of backlash by giving them this award instead. I think if they had given BP a nom for costume design and cinematography, most people would've been fine with that.

But this gives me hope as a horror fan that horror films can start getting Oscar nominations instead of every once in a blue moon.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I feel like this will come back and bite them in the ass. It feels like a convenient way for them to push all the minority films (like Get Out, Wonder Woman, and most likely Black Panther and Crazy Rich Asians) that do amazingly well and are well made films to a separate category while keeping Best Picture mainly "White" films.

Wonder Woman and Black Panther aren't really Oscar contenders in any main sense aside from technical stuff though.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best sandwich in a movie?

Because the sandwich in Spanglish is still god-tier.