• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They should have had another studio develop a New Vegas style Elder Scrolls game to hold us over. I guess that's what ESO is for but having an Elder Scrolls game divided into locked off zones doesn't interest me... and a lot of people, I assume.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Fallout 4 was announced 6 months before release. I wouldn't expect any big info drop on Starfield to happen much more than 6 months to release. My memory is that Bethesda liked that kind of hype to release cycle.

I do think we are a minimum of 3 or 4 years away from the next Elder Scrolls though, even if Starfield lands in 2021, I can't see them having Elder Scrolls ready right on its heels.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Lets see if they can get Starfield done any time soon, seems like it's having some dev hell-ish vibes to it.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
If Fallout 4 taught me anything
It's that BGS doesn't learn lessons

Yup. Just stick to publishing, Bethesda. Give us another Dishonored game.

I expect Starfield to be a buggy last-gen-looking disaster. The trailer will blow people away. Hype-man Todd will make bold announcements. Reviewers will say nice things while ignoring game-breaking bugs. Paid Youtubers will stream promising gameplay and recommend it to viewers.

Then the game will come out and everyone will realise they've been duped. Again.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The biggest surprise was franchises like The Witcher, Assassin's Creed and Red Dead Redemption turning into branches of the Bethesda Formula rising the bar so high Bethesda is more or less obsolete. Specially after RDR2.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What sucks is that we could have had another one but Bethesda wanted to work on other projects. We got a shitty online game in its stead; I saw this coming in 8 years ago

You'd think the smarter idea would to follow an extremely successful game with another, but after 8 years of terrible Bethesda decisions, I question whether Elder Scrolls 6 will actually be a good or better experience than Skyrim at this point.

What's worse is during this time we never even got that damn space game. It seems they are focusing solely on the next generation.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Starfield is 2021/22 according to Pete Hines

a5pR4vP.png
No way Starfield is 2022 when Todd said he didn't know if Starfield would launch on current gen consoles or next gen consoles. You wouldn't say that about a 2022 game. Starfield is coming in 2020 or 2021 at the latest.
Hines is BS'ing.

Jun 5, 2018
Yeh, exactly. No chance TESVI comes out any time soon.

Honestly I'm fine with this, TESO is still getting updated. By the time TESVI comes out, we'll be near the end of this coming gen. I'm more curious as to how Starfield fares considering it's the next 'real' BGS game following Fallout 4.

I've accepted we won't have tes 6 for a while that being said eso is not in the same league. I bought a copy on day one console release and play it on and off the combat makes skyrim's look masterful there's no weight behind it and the mmo mechanics come at the expense of whats made the single player experience so enjoyable all these years.

it looks nice and it's a big game but it's not in the same league imo. Still crazy to me thinking that we will most likely of went 13-15 years between Skyrim and es6 especially considering they will most likely still be on the same engine.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Even Dragon Age was cross-gen, and Andromeda wasn't from the core Bioware team (same way Fallout 76 wasn't really Todd's team), so all we got from the main Bioware team this gen was Anthem.

FFXV was a last gen game rehashed into a current gen game, and rushed out the door years before it was ready, with story and game design from multiple different design periods mashed together.

It's been a rough generation for RPGs...

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised. Playing through Red Dead Redemption 2, and the sheer size, scope, and detail is insane. I can see why we only get one of these types of games per generation.

The work that goes into these games is insane.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I'm not surprised. Playing through Red Dead Redemption 2, and the sheer size, scope, and detail is insane. I can see why we only get one of these types of games per generation.

The work that goes into these games is insane.
One-per-gen only started this gen though. I mean, I can kind of understand why Zenimax encouraged Battlecry to develop Fallout 76 and made sure Todd was everywhere to present it. Last gen Todd gave them Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim, and outsourced New Vegas to Obsidian. This gen they had Fallout 4 and then Todd asked for his next game to be a brand new IP for next gen consoles.

Those receipts aren't adding up, when receipts are all you care about.

EDIT: Even with Rockstar we had two GTAs last gen and RDR. I'm not sure how involved the core team was with Max Payne and LA Noire, but those were last gen too. This gen, "just" RDR2. Which is of course a monumental achievement but... man, it must be hard to compete financially with last gen's output.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
They should have had another studio develop a New Vegas style Elder Scrolls game to hold us over. I guess that's what ESO is for but having an Elder Scrolls game divided into locked off zones doesn't interest me... and a lot of people, I assume.

I think they've said in the past they don't want to outsource TES spinoffs because it's their baby, unlike Fallout. How TESO factors into this mindset, I'm not sure.

They really should have at least had a B team to support Skyrim in the long term with more official content updates.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Skyrim was such a sloppy, buggy mess with abysmal post-release support that I think a similarly careless TES6 would have tarnished their image further than it already has been. Skyrim and Todd Howard becoming a meme helped it port to everything, but the fact remains that the series has gotten progressively dumbed down to the point that it barely resembles what gave the series a cult following in the first place.

Skipping a generation was probably the right idea to avoid burnout and to let people forget about shit like them trying to monetize free mods.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Starfield seems like end of 2021 at the earliest, and I can't imagine TES6 is any sooner than 2, more likely 3+ years after that, unless they've split up BGS to work on both projects simultaneously.

Given how blatantly little we've seen of Starfield (and the rumors of its troubled production), I can't imagine we'll be seeing it until December 2021 at the absolute earliest - both due to the game itself, and wanting a bigger install base.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know many people that wouldn't trade every single Fallout game for a new Elder Scrolls one. I say end that franchise now, especially after 76 and go back to making ES games (that will ultimately require doesn't of mods to actually be any good).

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda breaks my heart. I would've loved to get fully immersed and lost in a big, vast, deep and beautfiful (single player) fantasy world again. I still regularly listen to the beautiful Skyrim and Oblivion music and then I get sad there isn't anything new in sight...and that the composer is accused of sexual harrassment.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I don't know many people that wouldn't trade every single Fallout game for a new Elder Scrolls one. I say end that franchise now, especially after 76 and go back to making ES games (that will ultimately require doesn't of mods to actually be any good).
Couldn't agree more. I wish Bethesda would stop making Fallout games and just focused on the IPs they created themselves. They clearly put a lot more effort into their TES games and sounded a lot more excited about Starfield than FO4 or FO76. They should give Fallout to Arkane and focus on TES and Starfield.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Couldn't agree more. I wish Bethesda would stop making Fallout games and just focused on the IPs they created themselves. They clearly put a lot more effort into their TES games and sounded a lot more excited about Starfield than FO4 or FO76. They should give Fallout to Arkane and focus on TES and Starfield.
Not sure why you think they aren't excited about Fallout. It was Todd's dream IP. He was throwing around ideas for a new series to create to go along with TES, and his ideas were so similar to Fallout that Zenimax just went ahead and bought the Fallout IP for him so he could have his dream. Maybe that passion has since died, but then Todd's team didn't really make 76 - that was Battlecry. And with Starfield and TES6 in the pipeline, a potential Fallout 5 is literally a decade away. Plenty of time for both Bethesda and its fans to get excited for the IP again on the PlayStation 6.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Not sure why you think they aren't excited about Fallout. It was Todd's dream IP. He was throwing around ideas for a new series to create to go along with TES, and his ideas were so similar to Fallout that Zenimax just went ahead and bought the Fallout IP for him so he could have his dream. Maybe that passion has since died, but then Todd's team didn't really make 76 - that was Battlecry. And with Starfield and TES6 in the pipeline, a potential Fallout 5 is literally a decade away. Plenty of time for both Bethesda and its fans to get excited for the IP again on the PlayStation 6.
I watched a lot of BGS devs interviews about FO4 and FO76, and the excitement they expressed about them seemed forced compared to the way they talk about TES and Starfield. And giving the IP to another BethSoft studio wouldn't be a bad thing, I think Arkane is a good fit for Fallout. That way we wouldn't have to wait 15 years between single-player TES games. It's just ridiculous.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, I'm kinda curious as to what Starfield ends up being that differentiates itself from Fallout.

I'm guessing more Mass Effect-y 'hard' sci-fi rather than Fallout's wacky/zany post-apocalyptic sci-fi, but that could theoretically be harder to translate into an open world, roaming setting while keeping to the Bethesda 'tenets' of having a lot of setup/backdrop in terms of worldbuilding and such - as by necessity, it's either going to be multiple world-levels (i.e. planets), or one giant foreign planet with a lot of biomes - none of which will be 'recognizable' to the average player, and sci-fi generally doesn't have the same reverence that fantasy has for its worldbuilding.

It could take a more Star Trek-esque approach to the plot, I suppose?

I honestly can see a scenario when TES6 doesn't even make next gen.

It depends on when Starfield hits, I think - if Starfield makes 2021, or mid-2022, there's a chance for TES6 near the end of gen.

If starfield doesn't hit til three years into series x and PS5, we might get cross-gen TES6.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still have faith in TES VI. I'm gonna need at least one more major bomb from Todd to break my heart.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think Bethesda will want to replicate Oblivion's success by launching Starfield in the first year of the new consoles. I think it'll launch anywhere between April and November 2021.

TES VI will be 2023.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think they've said in the past they don't want to outsource TES spinoffs because it's their baby, unlike Fallout. How TESO factors into this mindset, I'm not sure.

They really should have at least had a B team to support Skyrim in the long term with more official content updates.

Yeah good point, regular (official) Skyrim content updates past the few we got would have been huge.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys believe Bethesda can still delivery a great game?

Defo. Not to state a truism, but they understand TES better than they do Fallout. Starfield being their own universe is going to help with that, I think. No extra baggage.

FO4 was, in many ways, mechanically the best 3D FO; it was the dialogue system and general story/quest writing that really let it down. Considering that's their only real misstep, imo, I think they'll be alright.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Yeah.
Fallout 76 sucks. But Era tend to hate Bethesda based on Skyrim and Fallout 4, two games that are among the most popular and beloved RPGs of the last few years. I avoid to talk about BGS games here, some folks will tell you that they haven't released a single good game since Morrowing, it's tiring.

They did one shitty online game that was clearly designed to be a cash grab. Let's wait and see until their next solo RPG. I expect another great solo experience from them.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
It wouldn't surprise me if TESVI ended up being cross-gen with PS5/XBX and PS6/XB5, depending on how long it takes to get Starfield out and how long the next generation ends up being. If Starfield is a 2021-2022 game, then they'd need at least four years to get TESVI. I'm a bit worried about Starfield actually, there's nothing out there about that game even by Bethesda's usual "we'll show it when it's near release" methodology.

I'd love it if I was wrong and it came out much sooner though. The level of immersion in Skyrim's open world still hasn't been topped in my books and there aren't any other games out there like TES. I find it surprising that none of the big studios have tried to replicate the TES formula. Games like Breath of the Wild and The Witcher 3 are great in their own right, but neither is all that similar to an Elder Scrolls game in terms of being whoever you want and the world responding to that.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I think Bethesda will want to replicate Oblivion's success by launching Starfield in the first year of the new consoles. I think it'll launch anywhere between April and November 2021.

TES VI will be 2023.
No way BGS releases 2 AAA single player rpgs 2 years apart. Best case scenario ES:6 is 3 years after Starfield.

I could see 4 or even 5 years looking at current AAA dev times. Like shit, the main team at BGS has been on Starfield since F4 in 2015 and we still don't have a release date.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I have never thought about that but this whole generation passed without an original single player The Elder Scrolls and I believer we are at least 2 years away from a new one.

We still need to see Starfield, and then TESVI will enter full development. Minimum 3 years, probably 5 or more.

Fallout 76 does not diminish my hype for TESVI, BGS has more credit than that with me, and if anything, it will give them some time to scratch their head and put everything back in order before TESVI enters full production. I'm not worried right now.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I started on BGS games with Oblivion. My first Fallout was BGS' Fallout 3. So I was a fan. Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 - I enjoyed them thoroughly. Fallout New Vegas is better than them though and then I did not like Fallout 4 after playing it for hours and hours because surely I liked Fallout 4. But no. 76 was not made for me. I am not hyped in the least for the next BGS game. I am hopeful of course but their schtick may have run its course on me. If I can pick up every plate and cheese wheel but it's a buggy mess as always which need Unofficial Patches to be made by the Community = I am okay thanks. I'll pick it up second hand. I'm more than fine with just replaying modded Skyrim this gen. Mods are really well done and add so much quality to that game. I'm more bummed about the no GTA.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Oh wow Skyrim came out 9 years ago. Huh.

I really want a new one, there is nothing like it.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I find a bit of reach when folks say that other games like The Witcher 3 or RDR2 make Bethesda obsolete.

You may have a point if speaking from a narrative perspective but world design and level of interactivity, not even close.

Every single NPC in an Elder Scrolls game has an unique name, the exception being the guards, but all of these open world games have generic nameless guards anyways. Every single building has an interior. Even Bookshelves aren't just static backdrops, and every single book can be removed, placed in a different location, nevermind the lore and stories written in them. I won't even go into hundreds of objects like food for example that aren't just window dressing.

The Witcher 3 may have a stronger focused narrative but just walking through Novigrad most of the NPCs are for the purpose of backdrop that can't be spoken or interacted with, most of the buildings have no accessible interiors.

There are bunch of excellent open world games such as The Witcher 3, AC:Odyssey, or even RDR2, but still don't provide the same experience or formula that an Elder Scrolls game does.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Sadly I have to agree.
We will get great games from id Software, MachineGames, Arkane Studios, but Bethesda Game Studios? Nah.
I don't understand that kind of thinking. The last single-player game Bethesda made won numerous GOTYs (I don't care for Fallout 4 or Fallout IP in general, but I can't deny it). The game BGS made before FO4 is still the RPG most open worlds games are compared to even nearly a decade later. FO3, Oblivion and Morrowind were critically acclaimed too. Why can't BGS suddenly make a great game? Because of FO76 that was largely made by another studio (Battlecry studio)? Let's wait until Starfield before claiming such a thing.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Bethesda needs to spin up a new team or two.

With that said I don't have any expectations for BGS. It's like them and Bioware are in an unofficial competition to see who can shit the bed the most. Skyrim was enjoyble, but oh boy did they fuck up with Fallout 4. Not only did the learn nothing from the fantastic example that was New Vegas, but they regressed from even Fallout 3.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018
I don't understand that kind of thinking. The last single-player game Bethesda made won numerous GOTYs (I don't care for Fallout 4 or Fallout IP in general, but I can't deny it). The games BGS made before FO4 is still the RPG most open worlds games are compared to even nearly a decade later. Why can't BGS suddenly make a great game? Because of FO76 that was largely made by another studio (Battlecry studio)? Let's wait until Starfield before claiming such a thing.

In my opinion they haven't made a good game since Skyrim, and even that wasn't very remarkable in certain aspects.
Their last good game released 9 years ago, so I'm not very optimistic right now.
I'm also not fond of some of their business and development descisions.

Mar 10, 2018
Any developer is capable of delivering a great game, regardless of their past mistakes. It'll take time, dedication, and inspiration, but Bethesda can make a comeback.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
You know if I dislike a publisher or game series, I typically don't pay them no mind. I don't like military shooters, but I'm not going to say we are blessed or it being good thing if Battlefield or Call of Duty skipped an generation. Them existing or not doesn't affect me in the slightest, so when people act there wasn't a loss for new Elder Scrolls game missed an entire generation, and a new release probably wouldn't have impacted them. Shit like that just comes across as juvenile to me.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
In my opinion they haven't made a good game since Skyrim, and even that wasn't very remarkable in certain aspects.
Their last good game released 9 years ago, so I'm not very optimistic right now.
I'm also not fond of some of their business and development descisions.
The fact that their last good game was released 9 years ago doesn't mean anything when they released just one single player game since then (a game that is very popular and critically acclaimed, no matter what you and I think about it).

Their business decisions have little to do with them as a developer, but the publisher, which is a criticism I don't get when you say that you believe other BethSoft studios will release great games.

It's very obvious that Zenimax pressured Battlecry studio into developing FO76, an obvious cash grab, while Todd's main studio started working on a New IP after FO4 (clearly a passion project). Considering how long Starfield has been taking, they needed to keep the money coming, because most of the single player games released by other BethSoft studios flopped.

That's why Todd made a point announcing Starfield and TES6 in 2018, which was very uncharacteristic for Bethesda, to reassure the fans that things would be back to normal after Fallout 76.

Unless Starfield is a disappointment, I'll still be very excited for BGS's next single player game (not called Fallout). Playing Skyrim is getting old.

Jan 2, 2018
no matter what you and I think about it

What? Of course my opinion matters when I talk about my disappointment in their output. I haven't made a definitive statement and if it seemed like it I'm sorry.
In my opinion BGS needs to prove that they still can make a good single-player RPG. And I'm right now not sure they can deliver. Skyrim in space won't be enough in the current gaming landscape, at least that's what I'm thinking.
They also really need a new engine or at least fix the many problems with the current one, in my opinion.