Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ban AirBNB. Rentals for extended period (2wks-month+) is fine, like when the Olympics come to town. Running a hotel out of a residential neighborhood is not.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. They were supposed to IPO soon, would be a great silver lining if this took them down.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I was just looking up AirBnB rentals an hour ago.

I'm too cautious to go anywhere right now, but as a poor person who's been wanting to travel for years, the prices are starting to look damn tempting. Probably wouldn't be that great anyway since everything's closing down.

Don't even think about it for a second

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I'm too cautious to go anywhere right now, but as a poor person who's been wanting to travel for years, the prices are starting to look damn tempting. Probably wouldn't be that great anyway since everything's closing down.
#staythefuckhome

Ixian

Nov 25, 2018
Same situation in Ireland. Number of rental properties advertised in Dublin this march is twice as many as in the same period last year.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
It is happening in Barcelona too. All these landowners who kicked out long-term tenants for AirBnb and vacacional stays are now all sweating I reckon.

I feel it really difficult to feel any form of sympathy for landlords. Yes there's probably good ones, but the fact that everyone buys every new property to buy to let and these people have so much capital they can just buy the houses in one go means it makes it impossible for normal people to ever afford a house.

I can't say I'll shed a tear if people who make all their obscene money from renting at high prices suffer after all of this and are forced to sell their 50 extra houses.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel it really difficult to feel any form of sympathy for landlords. Yes there's probably good ones, but the fact that everyone buys every new property to buy to let and these people have so much capital they can just buy the houses in one go means it makes it impossible for normal people to ever afford a house.

I can't say I'll shed a tear if people who make all their obscene money from renting at high prices suffer after all of this and are forced to sell their 50 extra houses.
Rentals have a legitimately important place in a market for younger people and people who are constantly moving for work.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Rentals have a legitimately important place in a market for younger people and people who are constantly moving for work.

If someone is renting out 1 property. I'm fine with that.

If someone owns a mansion and is renting out 200+ properties and buying them as soon as they come on the market? Yeah im not going to agree that that's a good thing. In the UK we have a huge problem because as soon as starter homes come on the market landlords are buying them all and renting them out at 3x the price the mortgage would be.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
Ban AirBNB. Rentals for extended period (2wks-month+) is fine, like when the Olympics come to town. Running a hotel out of a residential neighborhood is not.

2 weeks is still pretty much within vacation period.

It should only be at least 6 months or more like in Singapore, the gold standard.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
stop_dont_come_back_willy_wonka.gif

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
Cool I've lived in two of those cities, rent was insane

For years, AirBnB lobbyists and "advocates of the free market" have argued that AirBnB has a negligible impact on the prices of rentals, arguing that they were two totally different commodities.

Now we're seeing they were totally full of shit.

Buying homes has a much bigger impact than AirBnB

Nov 14, 2017
If someone is renting out 1 property. I'm fine with that.

If someone owns a mansion and is renting out 200+ properties and buying them as soon as they come on the market? Yeah im not going to agree that that's a good thing. In the UK we have a huge problem because as soon as starter homes come on the market landlords are buying them all and renting them out at 3x the price the mortgage would be.
200 people renting out 1 property each has the same impact on a housing market as 1 person renting out 200 properties. In both cases, you have 200 properties essentially being turned into hotels. So, I reckon even letting a person rent out 1 property is problematic when there's a housing shortage.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Im confused, do you mean they are selling the properties because no one is renting, or there are more rentals than usual available?

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia

You really shouldn't. But the one lesson I'm reminded of is the how purchasing power of survivors has sometimes become stronger after a pandemic than before. That requires surviving, of course!

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Ban AirBnb. It might be good for visitors to a city, but it completely messes up the housing availability for the citizens of that city.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
We already knew that Airbnb was pushing up rents by at least 5% in most cities. I wonder how much this will affect rents the other way.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much whatever easing/pausing we put on mortgages will affect this trend. Since I would assume part of the reasoning for this is the people that bought these properties still having mortgages to pay, and needing someone to fill the space to help them. In other words, how many people would attempt to just ride this out if they didn't have to pay the mortgages for the property while things are bad.

Note: This doesn't mean I think we shouldn't put mortgage help in whatever stimulus gets passed. It's just a thought experiment on my part.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much whatever easing/pausing we put on mortgages will affect this trend. Since I would assume part of the reasoning for this is the people that bought these properties still having mortgages to pay, and needing someone to fill the space to help them. In other words, how many people would attempt to just ride this out if they didn't have to pay the mortgages for the property while things are bad.

Note: This doesn't mean I think we shouldn't put mortgage help in whatever stimulus gets passed. It's just a thought experiment on my part.
AiRBNB demand is gonna be really bad for a while post-CV even when things are getting back to normal.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Eh, I don't know. I think in some places it would work fine. For example we just went to a small lake cabin, middle of nowhere, 30 minutes to the closest grocery store or restaurant. Not a tourist area by any means. Those places would be inaccessible without something like AirBnB/VRBO....

Oct 27, 2017
The host at an airbnb I was staying at in Manchester (was originally going to be there for 4 weeks) said that they'd gotten a lot of cancellations and was putting up the place to let.

On the flipside I was going to spend a few days in a secluded spot in Donegal, but it was the host that decided to cancel in that case.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The death of Airbnb is the one positive thing that I expect to come out of this crisis

Fushichou187

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.

eh, I'm not quite all the way there with you. As people that don't have a lot of extra income, AirBNB has allowed my partner and i to visit communities we would have never been able to as well as attend a bunch of out-of-town weddings and keep costs down to a reasonable level.

I'll qualify this by saying we have always stayed in places where the owner lives on the property e.g. the AirBNB is a private in-law unit on site, private rooms in the home, etc.. We've never stayed in places that were just empty homes for rent in residential neighborhoods. That kind of stuff I agree is incredibly harmful and should be banned.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
eh, I'm not quite all the way there with you. As people that don't have a lot of extra income, AirBNB has allowed my partner and i to visit communities we would have never been able to as well as attend a bunch of out-of-town weddings and keep costs down to a reasonable level.

I'll qualify this by saying we have always stayed in places where the owner lives on the property e.g. the AirBNB is a private in-law unit on site, private rooms in the home, etc.. We've never stayed in places that were just empty homes for rent in residential neighborhoods. That kind of stuff I agree is incredibly harmful and should be banned.

I have used Airbnb quite a lot too, so no judgement, back around 5 years ago it allowed me to do some travelling that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise (flew from London to NYC, Boston etc...) and stayed in private rooms within homes owned by the person on Airbnb.

Still, those are rooms that would probably otherwise be on the rental market for people actually living in the city.

I think, at least for cities, each person should only be able to have listings within one residence, which they can only rent out for no more than 50% of the year. It still allows people to rent out their rooms to tourists, but it really shouldn't be at the cost of someone who could otherwise live there full time. Also, people owning multiple properties for that purpose is particularly disappointing.

Whilst opening up travel is great, making cities affordable places to live for the people who live there is more important.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Ban AirBnb. It might be good for visitors to a city, but it completely messes up the housing availability for the citizens of that city.
banning is too much, cities should regulate it. Set a limit for properties/visitors on weekdays and weekends, maybe more during special events. But for that we need decent politicians...

Fushichou187

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
... Still, those are rooms that would probably otherwise be on the rental market for people actually living in the city.

think, at least for cities, each person should only be able to have listings within one residence, which they can only rent out for no more than 50% of the year. It still allows people to rent out their rooms to tourists, but it really shouldn't be at the cost of someone who could otherwise live there full time. Also, people owning multiple properties for that purpose is particularly disappointing.

Yeah we make sure that the room/space we are renting is occupied by the owner and not a second (or fifth) home they're renting out. This hasn't been a problem for us because 99% of our travel so far has been to small towns and more rural locations that have very limited hotel/motel infrastructure to begin with, if any. The money saved on lodging can be used to spend locally in that community in addition to bringing extra income to that local family whose room we rent.

I definitely think regulations should clarify that you need to live on the property you're renting out, and perhaps limit the number of days in a calendar year. Dunno how that would upend the timeshare market or work for people that build summer vacation cabins that often rent them out during winter, but for cities the priority should be on providing ample, affordable space.

Whilst opening up travel is great, making cities affordable places to live for the people who live there is more important.

100% agreement

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
For all those crying about cheap travel, Hostels do exist. Many have private rooms as well.

Airbnb has needed to go for years. Maybe now the COL for major cities can become afford. I'd still wish it to exist in some form. i.e. families with lake houses to rent or an extra room. Maybe limit it to one listing per person.