AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Abrams himself wrote a Superman film way back when. I remember reading the script breakdown on Ain't It Cool News (boy, I haven't visited that site in a lifetime). The "highlight" was a superpowered kung fu showdown between Superman and Lex Luthor, who was also Kryptonian.

This was post-Matrix, if you couldn't tell.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I don't know why people are so down on JJ. The Star Trek reboot was rad and The Force Awakens was pretty solid.

Anyway, this sounds like a cool team-up. Coates is a great writer, and his run on Black Panther and Captain America was great.

He's associated with safe and sterile, plus great opening acts that collapse once a film hits the 45 minute mark. The fear is we get a generic and forgettable but passably good movie that starts great and then evaporates once the story really gets rolling.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
It's not gonna be Cavill and you know it
Although I agree that this is likely to star a new Superman, I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Cavill appear in some capacity due to some multiverse-related reason. Even if that only amounts to little more than a cameo.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Great the fanboy that only copies and the guy that writes boring fucking comics.

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
JJ producing will probably be fine. Bad Robot does production on the Mission Impossible movies and shows like Westworld and Lovecraft Country which are all perfectly fine media.

If he ends up directing I give it a 50/50. I hope Cavill is back.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Being blunt, I wasn't impressed with the couple of comics Coates wrote. Did not seem to be a format or story type he worked well with. Maybe a movie will be different but his name being attached doesn't exactly "wow" me.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hear me out. Drop Cavill and bring back Brandon Routh.
200.gif

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats, JJ. You know your career is going well when everyone on Era hates your work.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Fuck yeah, I'm in. I'm genuinely excited for the future of DC with the way these movies are beginning to stack up. It's beginning to look, as of right now on paper, like a really good future and I hope this Superman movie does a good job at actually giving us a likable Superman that's lighthearted. Things are beginning to actually (and hopefully) look good for the new DCEU:
  • The Batman
  • The Flash
  • The Suicide Squad
  • Shazam: Fury of the Gods
  • Black Adam
  • Wonder Woman 3
  • Blue Beetle
  • Static Shock
  • Superman Reboot

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let the tears hit the floor.

Guaranteed this will be the one Superman film I will love. I bet it will do well as well.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I think JJ. Word was he was looking to do Superman when Bad Robot signed that deal with WB

He does have clout, even though his last movie was a nightmare. I wonder if he was having lunch with someone high up at WB, and they broached the topic, at which point JJ agreed to take another crack at it. As others have mentioned already, he does love bringing ruined franchises back to life.

I bet we'll even see a few subtle things from his aborted Superman script in the reboot. Filmmakers love salvaging ideas that never got traction, nevermind that he's not the writer, as producer he still has sway on what goes in a script. (much to my chagrin as screewriter myself)

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
Great, more fucking mystery boxes that'll never get resolved.

Ta-Nehisi Coates gives me some hope I guess.

weird take, it's like you clocked that JJ Abrams was involved in LOST over a decade ago but missed all of the other straightforward franchise-type work he's done since then. if this was about damon lindelof, there might be something to it... but this is a strange stance to take on JJ.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
weird take, it's like you clocked that JJ Abrams was involved in LOST over a decade ago but missed all of the other straightforward franchise-type work he's done since then. if this was about damon lindelof, there might be something to it... but this is a strange stance to take on JJ.
TFA was very mystery box heavy.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be the michael b jordan JJ abrams rumored project isn't it ?

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
He does have clout, even though his last movie was a nightmare. I wonder if he was having lunch with someone high up at WB, and they broached the topic, at which point JJ agreed to take another crack at it. As others have mentioned already, he does love bringing ruined franchises back to life.

I bet we'll even see a few subtle things from his aborted Superman script in the reboot. Filmmakers love salvaging ideas that never got traction, nevermind that he's not the writer, as producer he still has sway on what goes in a script. (much to my chagrin as screewriter myself)
I hope they keep nothing from it.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
So can we finally get the Man of Tomorrow instead of grumpy asshole or creepy deadbeat?

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Ugggh Coates. I had to stop reading Black Panther and Captain America he is so boring. Hopefully this is good though.