Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
tLhdKS5LKvJ2AmVSadXjxi0EU7lHvefcrj395qddffghljBtz8Q-MUdPulJd6ROPoBXGwdFulCw

Dannerz

Dec 19, 2017
Some of this stuff you will see anywhere. Sounds extra dysfunctional though, at least with a chain of command there is a bit more ownership of work and teams wrt projects and deliverables. Corporate red tape is bad, but this is worse. This is what happens when a company has too much money and no public shareholders to report to. A goddamn mess.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Shocking that Valve sounds like a Libertarian Lord of the Flies hellscape of an office to work in.

If you look at how Gabe acts publicly - especially during the paid mods fiasco - and Valve's output/disposition after the Steam money started to roll in, it's exactly that and not all that shocking.

Enough people have jumped ship to make this more than just normal office politics.

Some of this stuff you will see anywhere. Sounds extra dysfunctional though, at least with a chain of command there is a bit more ownership of work and teams wrt projects and deliverables. Corporate red tape is bad, but this is worse. This is what happens when a company has too much money and no public shareholders to report to. A goddamn mess.

Valve still uses stack ranking and yet there's supposed to be no formal chain of command. It's a paradox that doesn't work.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, not really. That's basic advice for working in an open-plan office.
Hm, okay, not in my experience.

Another:
Rich Geldreich‏ @richgel999 Jul 15
So watch where people go during lunchtime. Just walk around and see who's going offsite together. Reverse engineer the office's internal social network and you'll spot the key relationships involved in managing the self-organizing arm.
This is weird af behavior.

Deleted member 19048

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd be sceptical of the veracity of some of these claims. I can absolutely believe that Valve has problems, but the picture this guy paints- to a borderline comical extent- is of a complete and utter hell-hole full of backstabbing manipulators and liars. A lot of his stories have a bit of a paranoiac bent. Of course we don't know- I'd just advocate keeping a somewhat open mind. People love to shit on Valve, and I think it's at least in part because they're so powerful and secretive. It makes thinking of them as villains more attractive.

That all said, bonus incentives in that sort of environment sound like a good way to cause problems. And it is impossible to imagine such a structure working flawlessly as advertised.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty amazing that they've created some of this industry's greatest works under that environment if it's as bad as these tweets make it seem.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
I don't know what places those saying "sounds normal" have worked but that's not my experience anywhere I've ever worked. It sounds like it's full of sociopaths.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
'Rich Geldreich‏ @richgel999 Jul 15
So watch where people go during lunchtime. Just walk around and see who's going offsite together. Reverse engineer the office's internal social network and you'll spot the key relationships involved in managing the self-organizing arm.'

Yeah I'm going to take a grain of salt here. I think he's upset.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
This hostile competitive nature is exactly what tore Microsoft apart for years.

Gabe was an early MS employee (and got filthy rich from it) and his biggest mistake when founding Valve was adapting MS' toxic, loathed (and now abandoned) stack ranking system.

Every single one of those tweets, at their heart, goes back to stack ranking.

All of Valve's dysfunction is related to stack ranking.

There's a reason even MS eventually abandoned this shit system. It's awful and notorious to anyone who understands it.

Valve didn't succeed because Gabe copied that model, they succeeded despite it (although they're now stuck in the malaise that it created).

Microsoft doesn't really have a better system right now. They change the mid-level managers every two years to let them see every aspect of the company and find the best suited for a specific task, nothing wrong with that, until bonuses come into play. So I had a new boss (as an outside call-center contractor) every two years, who tried to up-stage his predecessor in quality and profit to get a good bonus and to show their own bosses that they were better.
They are not responsible for anything that happens after those 2 years. So what did this do to us contractors?
- rising level of quality and customer satisfaction demands that were quite unreasonable at the end
- offering less money in the renegotiations every year
- inventing new schemes to let the customer pay for seeking our help.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft doesn't really have a better system right now. They change the mid-level managers every two years to let them see every aspect of the company and find the best suited for a specific task, nothing wrong with that, until bonuses come into play. So I had a new boss (as an outside call-center contractor) every two years, who tried to up-stage his predecessor in quality and profit to get a good bonus and to show their own bosses that they were better.
They are not responsible for anything that happens after those 2 years. So what did this do to us contractors?
- rising level of quality and customer satisfaction demands that were quite unreasonable at the end
- offering less money in the renegotiations every year
- inventing new schemes to let the customer pay for seeking our help.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Still, I would think Valve would have a much easier time getting out of this mess if they really wanted to. 1.) They're a lot smaller. 2.) They're privately held. If Gabe really wanted to fix the fundamental flaws, I think he could come up with something much better. Of course, you have to admit there's a fundamental problem before anything can actually happen.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty amazing that they've created some of this industry's greatest works under that environment if it's as bad as these tweets make it seem.

There's a pretty clear delineation between pre Dota Valve and post Dota valve, or post lootboxes if you will. It shows in the amount of "old" Valve employees that unceremoniously left, and developers that skipped right off the surface, staying only a short while.

_Aaron_

Oct 29, 2017
No wonder Valve hasn't released any games. All the devs must be trying to fuck each others projects over for monies.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I bet early Valve was an amazing place to work at, and through the years, human nature does what human nature does and greed/lust for power fucked up the entire system.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, okay, not in my experience.

Another:

This is weird af behavior.

Finding who the leaders of the group are and trying to get in good with them is really normal, it just takes on an added layer of importance at a place with no formal managers and stack ranking. More than one dev has alluded to Valve being a hellhole full of HS level cliques.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
There's a pretty clear delineation between pre Dota Valve and post Dota valve, or post lootboxes if you will. It shows in the amount of "old" Valve employees that unceremoniously left, and developers that skipped right off the surface, staying only a short while.

Definitely.

It's what makes someone like Joe Ludwig and his small VR team so interesting. Feels like this is their own separate little country that's a throwback to the pre-GaS Valve.

Oct 31, 2017
On one hand I have been quite critical of Valve's apparent inability to be productive for any large scale project for a while. It seems quite clear to me at this point that all this anarchy on who's supposed to work on what tends to translate in some sort of fear toward genuine commitment to a single project.

On the other one, I have to say all this blaming on the "anxiety" and "excessive competition for bonuses" as some omnipresent boogeymen in the studio sounds a lot like a pile of excuses.
Let's not forget that Valve is rather know for paying above the industry standard and not forcing crunch on anyone. It's not like "not pleasing the elites that will serve you the bonus" is leaving anyone starving.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know about gog specifically, but CDPR is well known these days for not being the best place to work.
Ironically enough, for problems that are pretty much the exact opposite of those blamed on Valve (salaries are fixed, below standard and there are no bonuses nor way to increase them, hierarchy is apparently quite rigid with the bosses being rather demanding and allegedly imposing their vision on the team, lots of crunch hours, etc, etc).

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like traditional intracompany rivalries ratcheted up to 11 because there's no one around to say "hey, don't fucking eat each other"

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Someone always has more power and influence at companies, it's just a matter of if it's out in the open or hidden. Sounds awful.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly this kind of competitive environment leads to the best ideas rising above all else. And the best idea right now seems to be *checks notes* a Dota 2 card game.

All cynicism aside, it sounds pretty normal, just lacking real management or constructive goals. There's nothing for the team to unify around.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Ironically enough, for problems that are pretty much the exact opposite of those blamed on Valve (salaries are fixed, below standard and there are no bonuses nor way to increase them, hierarchy is apparently quite rigid with the bosses being rather demanding and allegedly imposing their vision on the team, lots of crunch hours, etc, etc).

Not too ironic since both lead to extreme burnout which is really common in tech jobs especially in the video game industry. I think it just goes to show that either extreme rigid structure vs "freedom" really isn't a good solution.

Deleted member 5545

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have suspected a lot of this about Valve for a long time.

Their happy-go-lucky "Be your own boss! Move your desk to whatever team you want to work on!" thing is kind of a crock.

There is always someone in charge.
Seeing how many people on forums like this just gobbled that shit up wholesale taught me a lot about how much gamers really understand the industry

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Seeing how many people on forums like this just gobbled that shit up wholesale taught me a lot about how much gamers really understand the industry
Yep. His point about how the "leaked" handbook was eventually just put on their website is really apt. You see people read that decade-old document and be like "oh look, Valve is so cool and quirky!"

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im reminded of the whole, "Chaos is a ladder" scene from GOT. In aspiring for a flat hierarchical structure valve created a chaotic work environment which favours the more socially adept. I probs wouldn't last long by the sounds of it.

Bernd Lauert

Banned
May 27, 2018
Looks like GabeN should read some books about motivation. Offering bonuses is a terrible idea in a "self-organizing" company. It's entirely detrimental to the point of such a company structure.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I havent heard anything good about working at Valve. They have shit output, and barely produce anything for the number of developers and how supposedly good they are(they pick the best dev's and waste them). I think if Gabe left or something happened Valve would tear itself apart.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I have absolutely no insight into the workings of Valve, but some of this dude's Tweets read like a crazy person's.

k
I believe this isn't the first time he has talked about this. IIRC he wrote a blog post with many of the same observations. He then got into arguments with other former employees over the accuracy of those.

I do think those observations are true, but they seem filtered though his own personal experience.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad the company I work at is a lot better than this bullshit. The more I read about Valve the worse they sound.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, the new methods of management from the IT world are pretty high on the evil genius scale of corporate crappiness.

rstzkpf

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This quote really spoke to me as someone that used to play a lot of TF2, as that game frequently got new features that no one needed nor asked for yet has major bugs that have been present for almost a decade.

rstzkpf

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And even more ironically, I heard EA is a pretty good company for developers. What a company does externally really is different of how it is internally.
I gotta say, you stop wondering how people "allow these evil companies to exist" once you get a job at one. Stable, corporate employment at a well-organized firm with good benefits is great.