TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One of my cousin's friends inherited $10 million in early-'90s money when he was 29 and got into real estate so he could pretend he made it himself.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Op, I say this with sincerity, I would like to meet your family friend and get advice from him. I want to start my real estate business this year and I want to get to a point I no longer need to work.

Oct 27, 2017
He's probably in debt (and there's nothing wrong with that if it's providing some kind of return). I've found that Era generally has a bad outlook on debt although if I was a Millennial with $80,000 in college loans I'd likely have a different view on it
You're 23, don't sell yourself out yet

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I know there's nothing illegitimate about real estate business and landlording but I hate shit like this. Putting wealth in to property just attracts more wealth, a virtuous cycle for anyone who already has it, but one that gatekeeps the poorer in society from both owning affordable property and moreover just owning it themselves in the first place. If I could wave a magic wand I'd regulate and tax the fuck out of people like this. Make them invest in society instead of their own hoarding.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I know there's nothing illegitimate about real estate business and landlording but I hate shit like this. Putting wealth in to property just attracts more wealth, a virtuous cycle for anyone who already has it, but one that gatekeeps the poorer in society from both owning affordable property and moreover just owning it themselves in the first place. If I could wave a magic wand I'd regulate and tax the fuck out of people like this. Make them invest in society instead of their own hoarding.

This. I really don't think this is anything to admire at all, particularly when affordable housing is so scarce.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
America, where ye are judged by the amount of houses owned.

This is double ultra fucked, because it's keeping people from building equity in the first place and leaving people on the bubble to the whims of landlords. Small towns and neighborhoods are getting bought up by these small businessmen who don't have the equity to actually build anything on their own. Life is cheap and they own you.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I am 35 and looking forward to buy my second home. All it takes is time, effort, and luck really.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's all about luck and situation.

My friend is a year younger than me and owns his own home, but mostly because of his wife's father. (They bought the house off her father, they've even paid off the mortgage already and they ain't even 40 yet)

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
One of my cousin's friends inherited $10 million in early-'90s money when he was 29 and got into real estate so he could pretend he made it himself.

LOL, is he the outgoing type that wants to be apart of elite circles or something?

If that were me I would be totally happy just buying a nice home and then holing up inside my room. I'm an introvert who doesn't really want the company of other people often nor do I care to impress others in any way in regards to my social standing or accomplishments. I'd be perfectly happy being known as the lucky dude who inherited money and never leaves their house.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
LOL, is he the outgoing type that wants to be apart of elite circles or something?

If that were me I would be totally happy just buying a nice home and then holing up inside my room. I'm an introvert who doesn't really want the company of other people often nor do I care to impress others in any way in regards to my social standing or accomplishments. I'd be perfectly happy being known as the lucky dude who inherited money and never leaves their house.

He basically wanted respect. Trust fund baby types are seen as a joke by a lot of people, and rightly so. He actually ended up being good at developing and is a big deal now. I don't think any of the people he hangs with these days know about his history, though.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really need to start looking into real estate. I've never invested in anything other than ETFs but I've got friends my age who are starting to buy homes as investments and it seems like free money? I mean the rent covers the mortgage, its pretty hands off.

Phatmanny

Nov 14, 2017
Being a single family owning 9 houses is so egregious.
They're needs to be a tax in place that rapidly scales up for every house you own past your second one. I can barely justify 2 maybe 3

but 9? Fuck off

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like I learned recently moving money around in stocks that money builds money no two ways about it. You have to have to make a lot of it. Work as many hours or jobs but $20,000 in the right stock will make $200 a day
And to me it's the worst thing ever

flawfuls

Oct 28, 2017
c
I feel like I learned recently moving money around in stocks that money builds money no two ways about it. You have to have to make a lot of it. Work as many hours or jobs but $20,000 in the right stock will make $200 a day
And to me it's the worst thing ever

Uh no it won't, not even close. Did you forget like 2 zeros?

animus82

Nov 1, 2017
Mannn. That guy most likely doesn't "own" any of those homes.

The bank does until he pays the note off. His renters are helping him pay them off in around 30 years each....

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really need to start looking into real estate. I've never invested in anything other than ETFs but I've got friends my age who are starting to buy homes as investments and it seems like free money? I mean the rent covers the mortgage, its pretty hands off.

Probably wait till the next big crash, buying a house to rent/flip when there's a family crying on the street while packing their life into the back of a rental van feels a lot sweeter.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Era: "Why are you comparing yourself to him you still have 20 years to buy 9 homes."

Me: "Why does anyone need 9 homes?"

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The housing market sucks and assholes owning an absurd number of homes isn't helping. There needs to be laws against that.

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
Most people are struggling to be able to buy in this market. There should be large disincentives to stop investors like your family friend from ever owning 9 homes. They're a large reason why the housing market is the way it is in the first place.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Era: "Why are you comparing yourself to him you still have 20 years to buy 9 homes."

Me: "Why does anyone need 9 homes?"
I doubt they "live" in 9 homes, but owning the property and renting them seems reasonable. And if that is the case, I'm not sure I'd call them "retired", just they are now a full time landlord.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
You're 23 dude. You got time.

Everything compounds in life and if you stay on a good path, you'll be flying high by the time you're 30.

I bought my first home with my brother & sister when I was 25, bought another with my fiancee at 28. I'm already thinking about the next I'll be able to purchase with the equity and investments I've made.

Did I think any of that would be possible at 23? Hell nah.

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
I know how era views landlords and people like that that own 9 homes, but how would oyu view someone that owns maybe 3 properties and rents 1-2 out? I think thats where id like to be in life without feeling morally bad about it

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
OP, 23 is probably not a reasonable age to expect to own a home for the vast majority of people, especially for individuals that don't have parents, siblings, or spouses to support the cost of buying. That hasn't been reasonable for most American adults for a long time -- doesn't stop the occasional exceptions, but those exceptions usually have a lot of support that the rest of us don't.

And there's probably a lot more to your family friend's story than the age and the number of homes they own. Probably a lot of generational wealth or very focused investing to grow up to that number or a combination of both. I'm not defending the fact that it's not fair, but the system that rewarded him was never fair to begin with and he played all his advantages and won out -- and that's a reality people like you and me will probably never live to know. Your family friend is lucky as hell and I hope they know and appreciate that.

I'd recommend not wasting your energy thinking about it too much and start playing whatever cards you have to go wherever you can, especially at your age.

Oct 25, 2017
That is fucked either way but you're 23 and if you COULD afford a condo then either you'd be quite advanced/disciplined or you're actually existing multiple decades ago.

I was in my 30s when we bought our home and we only were able to do so because of generational wealth. My friends, let alone people in their early/mid 20s, are still struggling to get into the market. We are in a particularly expensive area, but regardless the disparities are just obviously so extreme. This model works for the minority and privileged people are able to leverage their wealth to carve out more while most people can't do fuck all.

Carvel

Nov 6, 2017
Mainz, Germany
Important lesson I learned recently: while buying a house can be exhausting and soul crushing, buying a second house if you already own one seems to be surprisingly easy.
You'll get surpreme conditions and if you rent out you'll probably have more money at hand overall.
If all turns out well, we will be buying our first family house this summer and it is cruel to see, what conditions we are able to get, even though our shared income isn't bad at all. It will be tough financially, but I hope it will pay off in a few years...

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
At 23 I was working as a driver and doing inventory for a chain of hot dog stands making $13/hr.

When I finished college I realized I didn't want to go into the field I studied and took an entry level position in IT working in a support call center for $12.50/hr. I was...25? I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life.

Now I'm 36 and a devops engineer. I work 100% remote, own a home and make good money. Don't compare yourself with others, let alone those 20+ years your senior.