ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason $70 new games felt less weird/bad to me than games like Demon's Souls going "on sale" for $60. When I saw that it made me say a little "wtf..."

Human psychology is weird.

EchoChamber

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know - it kind of feels inevitable, and like everything inflation causes the price of things to go up.

The $60 USD price point seems to have become the standard in 2005.

Using inflation calculators the value of $60 in 2005 is actually $82 in 2021 dollars. So from that perspective the cost of video games has actually went up lower than the cost of inflation.

The price of everything goes up - that's life. If anything the video game industry is behind the times in terms of inflation.

But inflation means games are cheaper than ever (just going to ignore wage stagnation don't bring it up thanks).

LOL

KozukiOden

Feb 5, 2019
As a kid we never could afford new games or new consoles. We always had a console one or two generations behind the newest one and yes it was fine to play old games because they were still fun but I also remember how hard I cried wenn everyone in school talked about the Nintendo DS and the new Pokémon Games and I knew i won't be part of that discussions.
Im just glad that the new generations have more free to play options and popular media that is accessible on YouTube or "low price" subscriptions.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
The sheer size of the increase is what's most galling to me, and I think it's easy for US users to underestimate the impact this has had in other countries.

I appreciate that inflation is a thing, and that I pay more today for a can of Coke than I did 15 years ago and what have you, but you can't release Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushimama for £50 and then turn around and ask for £70 for Demon's Souls later that same year and expect me to just shrug and chalk it up to costs going up.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Mods I know this is a Bit of a reaction thread But I hope you make an exception here since the reason I am making this thread is to keep the Ratchet Threads from Going OFF Topic Hopefully you Can send people discussing Price in the Review thread here so anyone who wants to ignore the conversation can easily do so

I keep seeing People around this Website dismiss concern around $70 games as simply Trolls who Dislike Sony. While There are obviously some Bad actors in conversation a majority of us are simply Frustrated at prices going up.

It's so Insulting for people who are obviously more wealthy than you tell you to shut up about Prices like it's not a concern to them at all. If you can afford it that's great for you but let us Poor people complain about things that effect us.

While I am very fortunate to be in a better Financial situation than a Couple of years ago It is without question that I am still very much Poor. I have to think very carefully about every purchasing decision and Budget my gaming purchases very Strictly something that will be a bigger struggle in the coming years.

The increase in Game prices is Not a Sony only issue the Whole industry is no doubt treading towards $70 dollars and it's Upsetting. The reason People are load at Sony is because they are the First of the Big three to raise the Standard price that the industry will likely follow. People would be just as Upset at Nintendo or Microsoft if they were First this is not some Sony exclusive Vendetta.

It's Completely Understandable for Consumers to Voice there Verbal displeasure at Companies Raising the Price to Points they can't afford or heavily sacrifices other parts of there lives.

Don't give me that Prices haven't increased in years its time BS These corporations are Worth Billions of dollars and were making Records Profits before the increase, They Don't need to raise Prices for profits they simply Want to. That's within there right as a company just like My consumer right is to let me displeasure be known.
Part 2 Game length.
When you can't afford many games how long too beat a game matters a lot to some people. Quality is obviously important but when 2 games are close in quality the longer one is always going to win for me as I get more Bang for my Buck

It's perfectly ok to not care about Game length but don't be mad at other people were the Game length to price preposition might be too steep for them.
Part 3 U.S.A has it Good.
I almost feel guilty complaining when I am from California were the Price increase is the Lowest. We have many international Gamers who are getting absolutely destroyed by the Price increases which are Much steeper than here in The States.

also the price conversions are absolutely terrible. Please have some empathy for how extremely rough the next Generation transition is for people who are not you.
TLDR
Just because the price increase doesn't matter to you does not mean it's not a Huge deal for millions of players around the world. Let People be frustrated and voice displeasure at these Billion dollar companies who do n0ot care about us at all.

There are way less trolls than you think in the $70 dollar discussion try to let go of confirmation bias and feeling personally attacked that people feel like your favorite game is worth less money too them than it does to you.

I'm the odd one out in this from your view. I make barely above minimum wage working in healthcare and have a child and wife to support.

Yet I don't mind the price increase at all but I grew up buying games that cost way more in the 90s just with my pocket money than was £2.50 a week that I saved until I could afford. I only got a few games per system so this price doesn't seem that bad to me.

The key thing for me though is I set aside £30 a month for 'luxury' items and rarely spend it but when there's a game I know I will love I buy it without question from that pot.

9/10 games I just rent as I only have a passing interest in them. Boomerang games is good for this as its £11 a month and covers both any games I may want to try or that my son may want for his switch. And as a bonus If you like the game you can usually buy it 20% off and they mail the case etc to you.

Is there anything like this available where you are? It might be worth looking into.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
If you are a Sony, Xbox or PC gamer a bit of patience will net you almost any game for a substantial discount. You just need to be patient and wait for a sale.

If you are a Nintendo gamer, well, good luck!

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
There's a lot of ways around this like buying on sales, buying used or straight up relying on subscription services. I'm not rich in anyway to afford $70 games, but I reason to myself how much I'm willing to pay for specific games. Price increases are non negotiable, a product cannot stay the same price for decades. Being frustred at it is imo just useless, if games were $60 we'd argue at how long a $60 game should be (and Era did this before the push for $70)…

All in all, it boils down to how much $/h of entertainment you're willing to pay. Find your sweetspot and you'll be fine, just don't mind being the world's first to play something.

I hate to say it, but gaming is a luxury. Specially when I look into my own country, a game being a third of a monthly minimum wage is just… I think there's still a silver lining because non-Nintendo games actually drop in price after launch, though.

Nov 13, 2017
I agree with the OP. I'm simply not purchasing a $70 game. I have no problem waiting for it to drop in price, as all games do.

The only exception being Nintendo since their games usually never drop, but for companies like Capcom? I'm not pay $70 for RE8 when I just paid $30 for a bundle of ReMake2+3. The power of patience, my friends!

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Indeed. And they are still $60 today.

Xbox first party games are the same price in 2021 as they were in 2005. It's the best comparison because they are directly competing with Sony. All these other nonsense comparisons are irrelevant. Compare to the competition.
That's only true in the United States, in the rest of the world the price has increased by 30-40%.

Thats a large part of the reason why this discussion is so frustrating, because Americans see a mere 16% increase after a decade and a half of stable prices, while the rest of the world is seeing 20%+ hikes on top of steadily increasing prices.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
For sure. That doesn't negate the development cost increase though, and I don't think it matches it, either.
I'd love to see percentage of profit between then and now including all of the MTX that will continue to be sold to us. Plenty of execs are getting paid multiple million a year so I'm seeing a hard time justifying these price increases. Of course from the capitalism side, I get it. Also fuck capitalism.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
it's distressing seeing people being so cold and calculating in this thread when, even setting aside the fact that a good deal of responses in here are incredibly callous, it shouldn't be controversial to empathize with people feeling like they're losing the ability to participate in a hobby they enjoy.

But what is the solution here then? Other than to vote with your wallet. Videogames have never been more accessible from a financial perspective.

There are low-entry cost services like Game Pass, platform holders constantly giving away free games and deep discounts on hundreds of games on just about every store front you can think of nearly every week. It feels weird to me that people are zoning in on a very select few AAA games being $70 as something that's pushing them out of the hobby wholesale.

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate that inflation is a thing, and that I pay more today for a can of Coke than I did 15 years ago and what have you, but you can't release Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushimama for £50 and then turn around and ask for £70 for Demon's Souls later that same year and expect me to just shrug and chalk it up to inflation.
Have games prices been tied to inflation in the UK? Because they haven't ever been in the US

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. And they are still $60 today.

Xbox first party games are the same price in 2021 as they were in 2005. It's the best comparison because they are directly competing with Sony. All these other nonsense comparisons are irrelevant. Compare to the competition.

The issue is that we have yet to see Xbox Series X (only for XSX/XSS and PC) that isn't just either indies or something like The Medium, which was $50 at launch. Remember, COD Cold War is $70 for the XSX/XSS version. Even 2K games cost $10 extra to upgrade to the XSX, making new games effectively $70. Even the straight version is $70. Who's to say that Perfect Dark and Starfield and the next Gears of War aren't going to be $70 when they're built for the XSX/XSS in mind?

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Gaming is a mega luxury. It stinks when you can't afford new games, but no one is entitled to a video game.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's distressing seeing people being so cold and calculating in this thread when, even setting aside the fact that a good deal of responses in here are incredibly callous, it shouldn't be controversial to empathize with people feeling like they're losing the ability to participate in a hobby they enjoy.
Era always shows its ass in threads like these. How dare poor people try to enjoy the latest things in some way too.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
You missing the point, he ain't comparing them. He saying that some people are acting like if you can buy a video game that you can't be poor.

Nah, it doesn't matter. Comparing something you absolutely need to store food (you know, to live?) should never be compared to luxury items like video games.

No, this doesn't mean poor people can't have fun or spend money on themselves for other than survival. No, this doesn't mean poor people shouldn't play video games. It means don't make stupid-ass comparisons that will inevitably (and justifiably) draw fire.

I swear, I bet many of you don't actually know what it's like to be poor. Worrying about $70 games would be the least of your worries. And there are plenty of affordable alternatives that provide hours of quality entertainment without breaking your budget.

This isn't even me defending $70 games. I absolutely think it's too much for many games, and can rightly be criticized. But you can make those criticisms (or rather the rebuttals to others offering alternatives) without the awful takes like "I GUESS YOU HATE POOR PEOPLE HUH? FRIDGES!!1" Like many of the people here saying that you shouldn't focus on trying to buy expensive day one games and instead look for other options (older games, f2p titles, wait for sales, buy/resell) have actually been poor.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I would be happy to pay just $70, sadly we have a 65% tax over USD in my country so, I don't give a damn about anything anymore. If I want the games I have to pay, as long as I can, I'll do it.

watham

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama, USA
Price increase is a day 1/pre-order tax at this point. Games drop quickly and predictably in price these days. Just wait if the extra is more than you'd like.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
About the ass licking. I think it's a bit true.
A lot of these companies are having record revenue and profits, and that's still not enough for them. Let's not kid ourselves by saying that the price increase goes to the 100's of devs, it just goes to the company/heads.
And people feel the need to defend the increase. That's what I find weird.
I think its weird for anyone to defend any company. Well, unless you have shares in it. However, I also always try and be as unbiased as possible.

Yes, there is no doubt that these companies stand to make a shit ton of money from most of their endeavors. And there is no doubt that the bulk of that money isn't going to the devs. But that's just the nature of business.

it cost more money to make games, this is a fact now. It's not that devs are getting paid more, but it's that you need more of them to make your games. No matter what, the "fair" way to look at this is that the risk profile of making any game has been increased for the publishers. Simply because they are spending more money bringing it to market.

People really ought o stop looking at it from the perspective of how much they stand to make or are making because that's always a gamble. If the game reviews poorly, and the game's sales tanks, the loss is all on them. That's just the nature of business.

Embedded

Oct 27, 2017
We've been paying more than 70€ for years with deluxe editions etc, for some meaningless extra items at best.
It's a miracle it took them so long to increase the base price.

We might not like it but i'd bet they did their research and saw that it won't stop the majority of the consumers from buying their games.

Just wait for the sales.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
The digital prices of Sony games in Sweden are ridiculous and I won't buy any at full price. Ok, maybe TLOU3. Still, there is such an abundance of cheap and free games these days that it's whatever to me.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
This has only been because of the PS5 being supply constrained. That will go back to normal once the system is readily available. And this topic isn't just about Sony games.
The OP is addressing those saying they're a "Sony troll" for balking at the prices, so yeah the topic is indeed about Sony games, and my post - that you replied to - was responding to a post about Sony games, and also mentioned the likely reasons they were not more discounted, reasons which you repeated in your reply. Every post in this particular sub-thread has been about Sony.
There are more games than just Sony games charging $70. So to pretend that this is an issue limited to Sony, or waiting for sales isn't a viable option isn't looking at the bigger picture. Despite many games being $70, a vast majority still go on sale and get discounted over time.
Yes, they go on sale. The point is the 'amount' of the sale for Sony titles so far is pretty pitiful. And yes, it may get better in the future, but it's not 'nonsense' - it's reality now that Sony titles have seen pathetic discounts. The reasons are relevant when the price actually changes, I'm aware that Sony doesn't face much pressure to lower them now - but they're clearly barely being discounted at all.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My parents were unemployed when I was a kid and we really struggled. We had some toys, but they had to adjust their spending accordingly. No ones saying people shouldn't have fun, of course they should.

And I happen to think that increasing prices whilst making record profits is a shitty thing to do, but it's happened.
Ok, I may have interpreted your post wrong then. I'm saying we are on a gaming forum and someone upset with a price increase can be poor even if they have other things more important to worry about. I don't like the framing some are doing here that people are entitled if it's harder for them to keep up with a hobby.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019

The point is that no one is missing anything. They can wait, and most of them were probably already waiting when games cost $60 anyway. I don't think anyone is saying the price raise doesn't suck tho.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
If you are a Sony, Xbox or PC gamer a bit of patience will net you almost any game for a substantial discount. You just need to be patient and wait for a sale.

If you are a Nintendo gamer, well, good luck!
yeah... I pretty much only buy like 1 Nintendo game a year maybe. My collection would be way bigger if they went on sale for less than 40 bucks.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Whole lot of people in here missing the fact that this isn't just about the US, or just $70 games.

There are people that are feeling pushed out of something they love. It sucks for them.

It's ok that they're complaining about it. They don't have to be struggling just to make ends meet to want something.

(I'm not one of them, but I can empathize with simply wanting to be able to do or have something.)

I really don't see how a ten dollar price hike is pushing people out of this hobby, especially when the barrier for entry is a 400-500 dollar console.

These games do go down in price so the only real issue is that some people may have to wait a bit longer.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
But what is the solution here then? Other than vote with your wallet. Videogames have never been more accessible from a financial perspective.

I mean yeah 'vote with your wallet' and 'don't buy it then/just wait for a sale' always get tossed out in response to these complaints. a lot of the time though if someone says a game is too expensive for them and they don't want to or can't justify or literally can't buy something at full price and they'll wait for a sale they get dunked on and called a troll, and then we get threads like this. can't win!

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I'll also add to this to not come off as a dick, that i also am not a fan of price increases but I'm also not a fan of MTX or on disc DLC.

If sony can promise me the. 10 dollar increase comes without MTX or other shiesty practices I'm more ok with it. Like, how we got the Ghost of Tsushima multiplayer expansion for free? Yeah, I'm cool if they keep doing things like that.

Also, this is really only regulated to sony and take two/EA games at the moment and sony has only put out so many next gen titles enough for it to really make a difference.

I echo this.

If you can't afford it, don't worry too much, games go on sale pretty quickly and frequently. Don't feel bad about having to wait, you won't be the only one to play it even years from now, if that's what it takes. There are people just starting PS2 games for the first time, every day!

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
To those dismissing the $10 increase - outside the US games went up by way more than $10. In the UK Sony games releasing at £49 on PS4 went up to £69 (not referring to MSRP but actual price in retail)... which is a +40% increase! What are Sony smoking?

And to those saying wait for a price drop -6 6 months later PS5 games fro. Sony are still full price. Their pricing strategy is abysmal.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is why if you argue that all digital machines are fine you're being shortsighted

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
the problem with waiting for your perfect price point is devs and publishers don't see it like that and as a result there is less chance of getting more or a sequel etc just look at the recent days gone point that the lead developer spoke about recently he said if more people bought the game full price or the first 2 weeks we would have being getting a sequel
Yeah it was a dumb argument then, especially considering the state of how Days Gone shipped. I adore the game but it received almost universally middling reviews at launch.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
If you don't think that there are a ton of good games out there launching at sub-$50 then I don't know what to tell you. If you're just saying that you don't think Sony first party games are worth $70 then... Okay I guess? If your argument is that they should be cheaper that will literally be proved or disproved by whether they sell or not.

Nowhere did I say that there aren't good sun-$50 games. I'm talking about the MSRP norm for games. People are going to buy the games regardless but they shouldn't be $70 as the starting price.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this: I don't think $70 games are a problem. I think the way our labor is exploited for peanuts and we are held down in an intrinsically exploitive capitalist society is the problem.

Games are technically cheaper / the same in dollar value (adjusted for inflation). However, the cost of living for everything else has increased dramatically while our wages have remained stagnant. We shouldn't be angry at Sony, we should be mad at our Governments for letting capitalism run unchecked, creating unbelievable income inequality.

IMO, of course.

Oct 25, 2017
Era always shows its ass in threads like these. How dare poor people try to enjoy the latest things in some way too.

I actually find the framing of poor people in this discussion, and context, as a means of enjoying the latest games day one, extremely insulting. When in fact this is all about FOMO and the need to participate in internet discourse day one or whatever else nonsense comes up.

And yes, I grew up extremely poor in a third world country, so I have experience as well. And I could not help but let out an audible groan reading the OP.

Give me a fucking break.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Ok, I may have interpreted your post wrong then. I'm saying we are on a gaming forum and someone upset with a price increase can be poor even if they have other things more important to worry about. I don't like the framing some are doing here that people are entitled if it's harder for them to keep up with a hobby.

I would never tell someone they shouldn't do something they enjoy, but I would suggest ways they can do it that makes them more comfortable financially. And there are a lot of options.

Nov 13, 2017
I think the urgency of purchasing a game during week/month 1 has to be viewed in the context of social media and YouTube. There are plenty of times where if you don't purchase the game during the first week, you will inevitably be spoiled through some kind of algorithm thinking its feeding you something you want to see.

Or through a meme.

Oct 25, 2017
But they aren't.

- you can buy a game used
- you can wait for a sale
- you can sub to gamepass
- you can play some F2P games
- you can shareplay with a friend and split the cost of every brand new game in half

Oh and you can always buy the $70 game and turn around and sell it for $50 1-2 weeks later.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
Price increase is a day 1/pre-order tax at this point. Games drop quickly and predictably in price these days. Just wait if the extra is more than you'd like.

Yeah, just wait it out. I'm not a big fan of $70 games and I've definitely made some impulse day one purchases so far this gen but my backlog is deep enough for me to be more than happy playing the games I already own while I wait for something like Returnal to drop in price.

Also, I tend to sell off any pre-order extras that may come with my day one purchase to help off-set expenses. Steel books are a real nice way to re-coup expenses so the $70 price tag doesn't sting as much.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I think the urgency of purchasing a game during week/month 1 has to be viewed in the context of social media and YouTube. There are plenty of times where if you don't purchase the game during the first week, you will inevitably be spoiled through some kind of algorithm thinking its feeding you something you want to see.

Or through a meme.

I want RE8 and I see a lot of YouTubers I watch play the game, but I ignore all of them and wait for the right time to play it. I have other games I need to play. Shit, I have money I need to put elsewhere. I'm closing on a home this month.

Friender

Sep 27, 2020
At this stage in my life I'm fortunate enough to have disposable income without worry, but will not support Sony's price increase for a base game. Price hiking under the veil of 'games costs more to make' while the industry makes record profit in billions year over year is a scape goat for greed. All while charging us extra to play online, tying features like save backups to subscriptions, anti-consumer refund policies, cross-play lies and greed, the list goes on.

Now I wait and purchase used instead of sales because fuck 'em. I'm just one person that won't make a difference but I'm doing the only thing I can and voting with my wallet, because what they are offering now exceeds my personal value.

If you find value in games at that price then have at it fam, nothing but love for you from me.