Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
We don't "need" to see them, but it is telling to me that they never show profit numbers while they're happy to trumpet revenue. It makes me think it will not continue to be offered with the same generous terms as it is now, and/or there will be a degradation in quality. Play the hell out of the games there, enjoy it! I'm speaking in terms of how it's turning out as a strategy for MS.
But to date it has not.

Diving the future seems to causes so much conflict here (I do not mean you at all).

Every new technology and method of delivery that is not the plastic box attached to a TV with physical media (ok that has relaxed) has a plethora of posts about how it will ruin the industry.

Except the state of the industry is pretty abysmal looking at the costs and layoffs, so I happily embrace anything that might improve the hobby I have played for decades

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Still see a lot of people arguing there is failure because the console isn't pumping numbers, even though they're more of an ecosystem approach and continuing to head in that direction.

How can they make an "ecosystem approach" when PC gaming is dominated by Steam and Xbox is dead in the water outside of the Anglosphere?

Phil Spencer was in power when the excellent remasters of the Age Of Empire series were made.

That makes him alright in my book.

Series X Daytona USA box. Bit pricey for what it is but have you seen Daytona running in 4K?

Daytona USA isn't 4K on Xbox.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Banned
Jan 5, 2020
If Game Pass continues to be offered and there is no noticeable degradation in quality, why do we need to see the profit numbers? I just care that it exists

(mine actually expires in August...but the sentiment remails lol)

We don't need to see the profit numbers but it's a ridiculously incomplete metric to simply say but look at revenue!

And ultimately if it loses them money over time it will either cease to exist or will drastically change in how it exists (increases in pricing, less games coming day one, etc.)

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
We don't need to see the profit numbers but it's a ridiculously incomplete metric to simply say but look at revenue!

And ultimately if it loses them money over time it will either cease to exist or will drastically change in how it exists (increases in pricing, less games coming day one, etc.)
We are 4 years into the gen, to date has been stable. What is the cutoff line for this concern for this gen?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
How can they make an "ecosystem approach" when PC gaming is dominated by Steam and Xbox is dead in the water outside of the Anglosphere?
Yeah I don't get the ecosystem replies. People are buying their games at Steam, not on XCloud or Xbox store, or even subbing to GP in huge numbers

j7vikes

Banned
Jan 5, 2020
We are 4 years into the gen, to date has been stable. What is the cutoff line for this concern for this gen?

I don't see what qualifying it with this gen has to do with anything. It's just simple reality Gamepass will cease to exist in the way we know it if it isn't profitable and they believe changes can make it more so.

It hasn't changed yet is a poor reason to think it won't or can't. I mean look at the price of Netflix today vs when it first started streaming.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Under Phil's reign Xbox has been really bad at getting exclusive games out the door compared to their competition.

It hurts them too this gen that out of their three main traditional pillars that are Gears, Halo and Forza, both Halo and Forza had a ton of issues.

But also Spencer was there for the good years of Xbox, so maybe the blame for Xbox's recent lacking games output falls to the current head of Xbox Game Studios, Matt Booty, rather than Spencer directly.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Under Phil's reign Xbox has been really bad at getting exclusive games out the door compared to their competition.

It hurts them too this gen that out of their three main traditional pillars that are Gears, Halo and Forza, both Halo and Forza had a ton of issues.

But also Spencer was there for the good years of Xbox, so maybe the blame for Xbox's recent lacking games output falls to the current head of Xbox Game Studios, Matt Booty, rather than Spencer directly.
Forza Motorsport is bad but Forza Horizon is doing really good
And Horizon has already replaced Motorsport as their main Forza series(in sales) since like FH3

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Looking at Xbox this generation, I can't convince myself that Phil has done a good job.

Xbox console sales keep falling by 33% year over year in their strongest market. The brand is dead in Europe and Asia. Game Pass numbers have flattened. The introduction of cloud gaming as a secondary driver of Game Pass subs has been a bust. Phil 's tenure hasn't been great. A ton of video game consolidation followed by mass layoffs. Shareholders like him, I guess.

Now, things can change. A ton of new games are coming to the platform this year and next year, so we could very well see a PS3-style turn around if the games are as good as they look, but as of right now, I'm not impressed with Phil's leadership at all.

As for Mattrick, yeah, he was worse. His vision battered the brand.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Forget consoles sold for a second, just look at the first party output. It's been abysmal and he's had 10 whole years to work on it. Terrible record.
And that's before you count all the missed opportunities they've had from Spider-Man/insomniac to Killer Instinct to MiHoYo stuff.

I'll never understand why Phil's "Third Place/Can't out console Sony or Nintendo" quote isn't as widely clipped as Mattrick or Orth's 2013 stuff
Cool gamer shirts have a hypnotizing effect I guess. He's had a lot of excuses that would have gotten a lot more pushback coming from other companies with far less resources, saying stuff about even if they released a good game it wouldn't matter and the multiple years straight saying wait until next year. Of course it matters if you release good games but one of their problems was going for too long without releasing anything/much noteworthy. Good noteworthy. And if 8th was a bad gen for Microsoft to lose what did the Wii U do cause it certainly didn't win yet Nintendo didn't harp on about it.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see what qualifying it with this gen has to do with anything. It's just simple reality Gamepass will cease to exist in the way we know it if it isn't profitable and they believe changes can make it more so.

It hasn't changed yet is a poor reason to think it won't or can't. I mean look at the price of Netflix today vs when it first started streaming.
Things can change for any service, to date they have not.

Unlike Stadia for example, nobody owns their games on the service so if the price increased and it is no longer worth it then nothing is lost if you cancel.(Stadia refunded every penny I had put in it so that was a nice bonus to Christmas shopping lol).

We just had the news that Gamepass will be on Amazon Firesticks, so it is not like they are showing signs of giving up on the service.

My point was so many posts are about why X will damage the industry, there is such a resistance to change but the current model is not sustainable, so they need to find new avenues of revenue

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I forgot that in fact, the Xbox One launch lineup was indeed better than the PS4. But in the context of everything else going on, it didn't matter.
It should also be remebered that last years of X360 were really Kinect heavy with very few big exclusives, while on the other hand last year of PS3 was full of big titles (TLOU, GoW Ascension, Beyond Two Souls, GT6...).

Same happened in theast year of PS4, many Sony studios supported old hardware. (only that time arround we got full BC)

Last edited:

j7vikes

Banned
Jan 5, 2020
Things can change for any service, to date they have not.

Unlike Stadia for example, nobody owns their games on the service so if the price increased and it is no longer worth it then nothing is lost if you cancel.(Stadia refunded every penny I had put in it so that was a nice bonus to Christmas shopping lol).

We just had the news that Gamepass will be on Amazon Firesticks, so it is not like they are showing signs of giving up on the service.

My point was so many posts are about why X will damage the industry, there is such a resistance to change but the current model is not sustainable, so they need to find new avenues of revenue

The price of gamepass has changed.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
The price of gamepass has changed.
So has PSN (drastically), Netflix, groceries or whatever.

The point was if the service is not worth it, than you discontinued and nothing was lost.

Unless Microsoft explicitly said that would never increase the price then it should be expected over the years?

My subscription will lapse in August as I'm not currently gaming enough to warrant paying for Game pass and PSN and my son exclusively plays PS5 due to his friends.

But I don't begrudge Microsoft and hope they triple down on it as the service is amazing.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My subscription will lapse in August as I'm not currently gaming enough to warrant paying for Game pass and PSN and my son exclusively plays PS5 due to his friends.

That was one of the interesting side effects of paid online. Paying for one service is approachable, but if you're paying for two and dividing your time between them? Then each one seems half as valuable while you're also paying twice as much. It basically forces an either/or mentality, which is unfortunate ... but quite possibly intentional.

Last edited:

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
And that's before you count all the missed opportunities they've had from Spider-Man/insomniac to Killer Instinct to MiHoYo stuff.

Cool gamer shirts have a hypnotizing effect I guess. He's had a lot of excuses that would have gotten a lot more pushback coming from other companies with far less resources, saying stuff about even if they released a good game it wouldn't matter and the multiple years straight saying wait until next year. Of course it matters if you release good games but one of their problems was going for too long without releasing anything/much noteworthy. Good noteworthy. And if 8th was a bad gen for Microsoft to lose what did the Wii U do cause it certainly didn't win yet Nintendo didn't harp on about it.

Worth pointing out how grating the gamer shirt gimmick became when we say that the shirt absolutely didn't matter. Dude wore a Hexen shirt but has no plans to do anything with it. So why the hell would you even do that? Just to piss people off I guess? Phil Spencer consistently weaponizes nostalgia and it sucks.

Imagine if Shawn Layden wore a crash t-shirt but had 0 plans to get the crash n-sane trilogy off the ground. It'd be seen as irresponsible from an optics POV. How Spencer gets a pass for everything he does, I'll never know.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
You bugging. Mattrick destroyed the brand. The 360 era was neck and neck with Sony and at the end of it you could see Mattrick's influence with connect and trying to out Wii the Wii. The Xbox One needed to just do what the 360 did in the beginning but better, instead they released a system worse than the competition and was talking about the NFL, Kinect, and casual looking stuff. Mattrick's Kinect is probably the readon MS hasn't brought VR to Xbox. Just look at the sales and public perception and reception xbone (just the fact that this was the common name for the Xbox division says a lot) got last gen.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This is some revisionist history at it's finest. I was(am) a diehard a diehard xbox guy and after the One reveal I stopped all subs and bought a PS4 at launch. After Phil started to right the ship I came back and have been maining xbox since Series X again. Is Phil perfect? Far from it, but compared to Don, well there is no comparison.

THAT SAID. He's had time to right the console ship and hasn't, but I feel like nobody can at this point. Business, dollars and cents wise I don't think MS could have asked for a better executive, he's making them money hand over fist it seems.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
That was one of the interesting side effects of paid online. Paying for one service is approachable, but if you're paying for two and dividing your time between them? Then each one seems half as valuable while you're also paying twice as much. It basically forces an either/or mentality, which is unfortunate ... but quite possibly intentional.
That was a big factor of when I got rid of my Xbox One last gen. Sony and MS pretty much provide the same box and gaming experience with a vast majority of the same games, so it really is just which exclusive you care about or where your friends are playing. I would read posts amused as the "winner" was decided by DF videos finding things that most of us would not have perceived.

This gen Xbox was the most exciting to me as there was finally a differentiator in Gamepass, xCloud, enhanced BC, etc.

I knew my kid would want a PS5 eventually and I thought I would be ok with both, but life happens, and I really do not have the time to justify the cost

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Honestly, this thread has made me realize that it really can't be overstated how important Peter Moore was for building the Xbox brand and how much him leaving killed them.

Say what you will about Peter but he knew how to leverage huge franchises and be aggressive. It's why the 360 remains one of my favorite consoles of all time despite the RROD, after never owning an original Xbox.

j7vikes

Banned
Jan 5, 2020
So has PSN (drastically), Netflix, groceries or whatever.

The point was if the service is not worth it, than you discontinued and nothing was lost.

Unless Microsoft explicitly said that would never increase the price then it should be expected over the years?

But I don't begrudge Microsoft and hope they triple down on it as the service is amazing.

I wasn't saying the price of other things hasn't gone up merely that your point of the service hasn't changed isn't accurate.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Worth pointing out how grating the gamer shirt gimmick became when we say that the shirt absolutely didn't matter. Dude wore a Hexen shirt but has no plans to do anything with it. So why the hell would you even do that? Just to piss people off I guess? Phil Spencer consistently weaponizes nostalgia and it sucks.

Imagine if Shawn Layden wore a crash t-shirt but had 0 plans to get the crash n-sane trilogy off the ground. It'd be seen as irresponsible from an optics POV. How Spencer gets a pass for everything he does, I'll never know.
Or, stick with me here, it's just a shirt. Maybe Gamers should stop taking EVERYTHING as some sort of cryptic tease.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
At a certain point I'm not sure how much blame is there to put on Phil Spencer personally for the woes of the entire brand. He set Xbox up for a lot of success and at every critical juncture it seems like they tripped up instead. 343 had all the time in the world to bring forward an amazing new Halo experience and the end result didn't set the world on fire. Starfield was in development for ages and was meant to be the next Skyrim in space and it came out to middling reviews and people feeling generally tired of the familiar formula. Turn 10 was another first party studio that had seemingly endless time and budget to release a brand new Forza Motorsport and that didn't work out that great either. Redfall was an unmitigated disaster. Hellblade 2 is very much a niche acquired taste that was never going to attain any sort of broad appeal. In the meantime PlayStation released several first party games like Spider-Man 2 or God of War Ragnarok that were all received with universal acclaim.

The hardware is there, the services are there, the games aren't and thats the lifeblood of any console. From a distance it seems like Spencer had secured time, budget and creative freedom for their internal studios to thrive and create unique experiences for the Xbox brand - but for whatever reason these studios were unable to make compelling games. I'm just not sure what more they could have done.

Oct 28, 2017
What an absurd thread. People thinking executives are somehow quarterbacks that can be subbed on, make a play that somehow leads to 50m hardware sales with every touch down.

In an ironic twist, the Internet has given 'Xbox' a persona to somehow contextualise its cultural relevance in a way that PlayStation and Nintendo do not have. It's probably just a symptom of wanting a narrative at all times for people to talk about on forums.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
it's absolutely true.

For all the goodwill that Mattrick pissed away, people have the attention span of a gnat. if Xbox simply released a bunch of good games, everyone would be laughing about it.

Now, though… gamepass has screwed things. Look at any subscription service, that shit is not long term as far as shareholders are concerned. It has to make more money, every year, without fail. The service can only get worse, and more expensive to boot, until it crashes entirely. And before that happens, it's not like most people are about to go back to paying for microsoft games. On top of gamepass? Not a chance.

I really don't know what xbox might look like in a decade. And that is entirely on Spencer, not Mattrick.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I don't think there's an individual to blame for the brand struggling so much as it's an indication of the institutional habits Microsoft has. They're only going to empower leaders to push for aggressive paths to dominance and profit, and they're not going to second-guess Microsoft culture despite a track record of struggling with managing creative endeavors and growing creative teams. So I hesitate to lay blame at any one person's feet, just as I am generally skeptical of crediting a single individual with the success of a large scale project involving a ton of people.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
It's amazing how many people read a post saying Mattrick didn't leave a sinking ship besides all of us knowing that the Xbone failure almost fully ended the Xbox brand until Phil convinced Natya and just nodded along not seeing the blatant nonsense

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
What an absurd thread. People thinking executives are somehow quarterbacks that can be subbed on, make a play that somehow leads to 50m hardware sales with every touch down.

In an ironic twist, the Internet has given 'Xbox' a persona to somehow contextualise its cultural relevance in a way that PlayStation and Nintendo do not have. It's probably just a symptom of wanting a narrative at all times for people to talk about on forums.

I agree it's a wild comparison.

An executive has way more pull on the end result of the company than a quarterback has on a game.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada

That is literally the job of an executive. Come in, make hard changes and drives sales. So yes - for they salary, that's the expectation. And that's the expectation for 12 months, never mind 10 years.

Octopop

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand why Xbox's European strategy hasn't changed. There's hardly any advertising for Xbox over the last few years in the UK so it's no wonder the general public don't see view it as an option to PlayStation and Nintendo. Add this to the poor quality of translation for non-English language on the Xbox dashboard and the market is left feeling like an afterthought.

It's as though Xbox is hoping to succeed in a market based on past success, not realising that many of the people growing up on Xbox 360 aren't the ones they need to be targeting.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017

TBF, Shawn mentioned Vib Ribbon without any plans for a rerelease and got massive backlash for it, so much it got it added to PSN.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Phil Spencer has given fans exactly what they dreamt about for decades, he got MS to open up the war chest. His definitely not worse than Don who completely tanked the brand.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Phil Spencer has given fans exactly what they dreamt about for decades, he got MS to open up the war chest. His definitely not worse than Don who completely tanked the brand.
I think "fans" wanted that war chest to be opened for exclusives. If most of their acquisitions remain multi platform from a consumer perspective things don't change all that much.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
yeah unfortunately fans didnt realize if you open the warchest too quick and too wide, you'll startle daddy.
and now we go third party

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
I'm not sure Xbox would even be around if Mattrick was here.

So yeah I'm glad the brand still exists cause it's my preferred way to play, I still think it's the best controller around despite not innovating and I love to have my previous digital library with me. Could be better? Of course.

Mogg

Jul 4, 2023
It's really sad how little the Xbox "brand" means now. It isn't associated with any specific games, nor is the hardware bearing it's name particularly sought after. Game Pass is becoming what many warned, a place people learn to dip in and out of rather than sustaining subscriptions. PC is the best it's been for MS in ages, but the actual Xbox app is still bad, which likely harms Game Pass adoption there. Their cloud gaming isn't even up to standards compared to what Nvidia offers.

Even the big acquisitions don't look so hot right now. Bethesda works at a snail's pace. The smaller Zenimax studios are being cut loose one by one. Call of Duty is obviously still a blockbuster franchise but as cold as it's ever been. Blizzard, too, is at a reputation low.

All that said, even Sony is in a very precarious position despite the plentiful hardware sales. The big budget games business is a raging tire fire at the moment. Only Nintendo appears to be on solid footing.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
I remember liking Mattrick in his first year or so, when he was able to get FFXIII and Metal Gear Rising on the 360, among other games. It was only after Kinect that he started to drop the ball. I'd argue that Phil hasn't done anything like that, at least not until recently. He also hasn't tanked the Xbox brand, though I don't believe the brand has been elevated under his watch, either.

MacReady

Jan 21, 2024
I don't think there's an individual to blame for the brand struggling so much as it's an indication of the institutional habits Microsoft has. They're only going to empower leaders to push for aggressive paths to dominance and profit, and they're not going to second-guess Microsoft culture despite a track record of struggling with managing creative endeavors and growing creative teams. So I hesitate to lay blame at any one person's feet, just as I am generally skeptical of crediting a single individual with the success of a large scale project involving a ton of people.
I agree. They make big bets hoping for massive returns because they can, knowing that the whole corporation will not tank if something fails. It's in their culture. Microsoft could've killed off Xbox during the previous generation without another ambitious plan like Game Pass.

While Game Pass maybe didn't become as huge of a thing as the executives hoped for, I'm certainly seeing it having been a lifeline for the Xbox business. Beyond that, I think Activision-Blizzard was another lifeline, a very successful 3rd party business with strong profit margins. Now they have a way forward being a massive 3rd party publisher on top of having a platform of their own since it's not looking like Game Pass is enough at this point, and maybe this sounds a bit dramatic but without such new approach Xbox could've been inching closer to Nadella's chopping block again imo.

So yeah, I don't think this generation has been the massive success that Microsoft was hoping for, but it seems like they're finding ways to keep the business going forward. From gamer perspective, as someone who owns hardware of all the major platforms, I've been more positive about this Xbox Series generation than the Xbox One, but of course there have been darker clouds as well recently.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure who these fans are that dreamt about that for decades, but I do know that the ones cheering on the "war chest" were doing so under the assumption of exclusivity and industry dominance, neither of which is looking like the way forward for the Xbox brand.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
Hey, Phil learns a LOT of lessons many times over, and that's more than you can say about the other guy.

Automagical

Jun 27, 2020
Xbox is doing great if you ignore the "box" part is a weird argument to me.

The original business case for Xbox to Bill Gates was "do you just want to surrender the living room portal"?
that business case still stands. PCs, phones, and living room console/smart tvs are the core portal for mass consumers.

Xbox hardware being on a downward spiral is not a good thing no matter how you slice it.

Nintendo recovered from Wii U, Sony from PS3, why is it that Phil gets a pass on Xbox?

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with this statement is that is treats a tech company like a sports team. Not you, per se, but that quite neatly encapsulates the problem with many modern gamers, right there.

If Breville decided to get out of the toastie machine market, then focused on other products that made them massively richer, they'd be seen as a success. That is the lens this needs to be looked through, really. It's certainly how MS see it.

I've always thought of MS as the classic "Loved by Nobody. Used by Everybody" company. I feel like their current Xbox strategy is moving in this direction too.

But that is how Xbox leadership have treated their business in both public facing statements and statements made in private that later went public, as a contest they were trying to win. Its only recently that they speak with such a defeatist attitude.

I'm of the mind that Coach Phil was able to do as he pleased to try and score points, while Nadella and Hood sat in the owners box content to let him be until he drafted a player with a 70 billion dollar salary!

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Worth pointing out how grating the gamer shirt gimmick. How Spencer gets a pass for everything he does, I'll never know.
That shirt thing was a clear rebrand of his public image. Too bad they didn't bother to try as hard with the system/games. It is kinda funny in a way how he gets a pass and is seen as Gamer Pal on here when in nearly every other thread people are screaming that all executives are evil/none are your friend. I'm guessing it's because he has/had an account and that's why, partially, up until the layoffs there was not much "negatively" said about his tenure. Not enough anyway. Especially because he was the big proponent of TV TV TV but it gets pushed on Matrick solely.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
That shirt thing was a clear rebrand of his public image. Too bad they didn't bother to try as hard with the system/games. It is kinda funny in a way how he gets a pass and is seen as Gamer Pal on here when in nearly every other thread people are screaming that all executives are evil/none are your friend. I'm guessing it's because he has/had an account and that's why, partially, up until the layoffs there was not much "negatively" said about his tenure. Not enough anyway. Especially because he was the big proponent of TV TV TV but it gets pushed on Matrick solely.

Of course.

Phil Spencer is in many ways as bad or worse than every other gaming exec out there but gets a pass here because he let gamers pay to rent games on a subscription service.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
He talks a good game, bit that's about it. I've pretty much always felt that way about him. Only now more people seem to be realising the same thing.