• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Oh boy, this just brings back memories...

source.gif

People will say anything about DA2, but that is the best trailer Bioware has ever released (barring the Andromeda teaser, if we count it as trailer). Better than ME2's trailer too.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
They really needed to put the trailer in the demo.

Although I didn't like the gameplay of The Division 2, their demo did a MUCH better job of selling the game. You saw the intro movie and an ominous trailer for the end game activities. You learnt about some of the main characters, who seemed well-written (for a video game), with clear motivations and backgrounds. You know who your character is and what his/her mission is.

Anthem dumped you into a splash screen with a few links, which opened to an out-of-game website, which was down throughout the demo period. Then you got a mission with a few people talking in generic scifi cliches about stuff, with no real motivation or interesting character traits. Loadscreens everywhere and it constantly crashed. You really had to work hard to find the good stuff.
I have absolutely no idea what the plot to Anthem is or who my character is, beyond being Iron Man and fighting some evil aliens (they are black so you know they are evil), some tentacled aliens (has there ever been a good tentacle-alien?), and some spider-crab monsters (spiders are bad, you don't need to question this!) It seems to be something about ancient artifacts that will destroy the world if the aliens get them - but have hillarious effects when given to an over-excited post-grad student.
I don't want Anthem to be "tom clancy" gritty, but the demo had tone problems that made Andromeda's lightweight characters and dialogue seem full of pathos. Everyone seemed like a happy-go-lucky "LoL, you're so awesome, that is soooo random" millenial cliché. Why should I care about any of them? Even Destiny had better characters than those in the Anthem demo.

I hope the trailer is good and the game has a good story and characters. I hope that it's just the demo that was shit.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017

Although I didn't like the gameplay of The Division 2, their demo did a MUCH better job of selling the game. You saw the intro movie and an ominous trailer for the end game activities. You learnt about some of the main characters, who seemed well-written (for a video game), with clear motivations and backgrounds. You know who your character is and what his/her mission is.

Anthem dumped you into a splash screen with a few links, which opened to an out-of-game website, which was down throughout the demo period. Then you got a mission with a few people talking in generic scifi cliches about stuff, with no real motivation or interesting character traits. Loadscreens everywhere and it constantly crashed. You really had to work hard to find the good stuff.
I have absolutely no idea what the plot to Anthem is or who my character is, beyond being Iron Man and fighting some evil aliens (they are black so you know they are evil), some tentacled aliens (has there ever been a good tentacle-alien?), and some spider-crab monsters (spiders are bad, you don't need to question this!) It seems to be something about ancient artifacts that will destroy the world if the aliens get them - but have hillarious effects when given to an over-excited post-grad student.
I don't want Anthem to be "tom clancy" gritty, but the demo had tone problems that made Andromeda's lightweight characters and dialogue seem full of pathos. Everyone seemed like a happy-go-lucky "LoL, you're so awesome, that is soooo random" millenial cliché. Why should I care about any of them? Even Destiny had better characters than those in the Anthem demo.

I hope the trailer is good and the game has a good story and characters. I hope that it's just the demo that was shit.

Don't forget we also learnt that one guy in the hub owes a lot of money to someone but will defintely pay him soon.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What a weird group this thread has drawn in. The number of folks here allegedly not buying it but who want it to be cancelled for other people is...creepy.

I figure it's some extra content for launch or the delivery of a heavily requested feature for the launch build. Worst-case would be a new trailer.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Sorry but the division 2 = same old boring cover shooter mechanics with bullet sponge enemies and plodding gamplay.

Anthem = fly around like iron man and kill aliens with amazing abilities with 4 distinct classes to master.

The betas/demos clearly showed me which is the more interesting game. And its Anthem by a country mile. IMHO.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
That Oats Studios thing will be amazing. I love all of their short story stuff. Was kind of hoping Neil and co would design some things for the game, but i'm guessing it's just going to be a live action launch trailer.

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
They're going to add in loot boxes for high level gear with really shitty drop rates for anything even half worthwhile, paid content drops are coming with huge barren periods between them and best of all straight up pay-to-win level booster packs that just make all your numbers go up right before your eyes - buy a dozen and become invincible for 48 hours.

Why?

Because if people are going to be miserable and whinge at any and all mention of Anthem, they might as well give them something tangible to actually be miserable and whinge about.

09-roll-safe.w700.h700.jpg

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017

Long winded way to say you prefer one game over the other in a thread about a reveal coming up on the game you don't like.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem cross media explosion including:
-Movie
-Netflix TV series
-Funko Pops
-Anime
-Manga
-Pachinko machine
-Taco Bell cups
-McDonald's toy line
-Hugo Boss mecha suits
-Trading Card Game
-Mobile companion app

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Sorry but the division 2 = same old boring cover shooter mechanics with bullet sponge enemies and plodding gamplay.

Anthem = fly around like iron man and kill aliens with amazing abilities with 4 distinct classes to master.

The betas/demos clearly showed me which is the more interesting game. And its Anthem by a country mile. IMHO.

You're wrong, but that's fine. Enjoy Anthem.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
F2P , being converted to BR, renamed to Apex Legends, please enjoy!

Oct 27, 2017
Considering that BioWare is from where I live (Edmonton ) and want them to succeed, I find all these Anthem F2P comments a big slap in the face. I sure the hell hope that Anthem is massively successful and prove all the doubters wrong.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of dumb posts in this thread, but that's expected.

My guess is some marketing material, but it sure would be nice if PS4 plebs like myself could get into early access :/

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
Wrong? What is interesting about the division 2 gameplay? I played hundreds of hours of the first game. Its another 3rd person cover shooter....

Having just finished playing the PC beta, the bullet sponge enemies are less bullet spongy, and I've enjoyed my albiet brief time with it..and it plays a lot better than the first one..
I'm getting Anthem soon, but I will also get The division 2 at some point as well...

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Wrong? What is interesting about the division 2 gameplay? I played hundreds of hours of the first game. Its another 3rd person cover shooter....

Ok, I'll bite. Judging from both betas (and in the case of The Division, the previous game):
The Division is going to be a tactical TPS with tight gunplay, good cover and movement system, very wide range of endgame activities, good PvE/PvP systems in the form of the Dark Zone, supporting a wide variety of builds and approaches. It has a good variety of AI behavior in enemies in the form of different fractions utilizing different tactics. It has a true open world with no loading screens whatsoever except for fast travel. It will seemingly support both solo and group play fairly well.
The cons are that human enemies and post apocalyptic near future is less interesting for many players, I'll concede that. DC in summer has also less immediate visual identity and appeal than NYC in winter. The beta was technically fairly competent on PC, not many bugs, solid performance for the most part, offered a surprisingly big chunk of content (easily 6 hours).

Anthem, on the other hand, was a technical disaster plagued by bugs and horrible performance on all platforms, weirdly incongruous texture quality and other signs of long development hell. The game also features a loading screen every 100 meters and it's not open world (even though it tries somewhat to appear that way). It has no noticeable enemy AI, all the mobs just stand and shoot or charge you. Its endgame seems to consist of running the same handful of Strongholds on different difficulty levels. It seems to be squarely focused on group play, with solo players shit out of luck. The story seems to be bland and laughably delivered via static NPCs in hub.
On the other hand, it seems to have a decent variety of builds and synergies between different javelins and abilities, and it has flying (which in my opinion is implemented pretty badly, but some people seem to like it). It has that "you can be Iron Man" appeal, plus the run-of-the-mill scifi setting seems to appeal to many.

In my mind, there is no question which will be the better and more interesting game (hint: it doesn't start with "A").

Last edited:

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I mean he's just saying the exact same thing you said about Anthem's demo just.. about TD2. You seem to enjoy shitting at Anthem, and he's just done that but to the opposite game. It's a fair deal, I guess.

TIL if you play a demo of something you did not like and express that opinion, you're "shitting at" said game.
Ok.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Can't be a anthem thread without people telling us why other games are better. Sequels too.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
They're putting it on gamepass for ten days. /s

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
why would they send this 'big' announcement to people's e-mail and not a press release?

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
1st week of anthem demo was shit, 2nd was fine. Can't believe people actually trying to compare the betas of the 2 games and think division came out smelling of roses. Yo it was fucked up too.