Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
So one of my favourite pixel artists Paul Robertson is now selling his gifs. I could buy one for tons of money or right click Save As. What am I missing?

It's a bit like owning the poster of a painting vs. owning the actual painting.

That said – even though it's positive that this technology could theoretically mean artists would be able to profit more from their work – I'm not sure the concept of art "ownership" properly translates from the physical to the digital world. I guess we'll see if it ends up being a lasting trend.

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ownership or the sense of ownership doesn't have to be a logical action or emotion. If something can be done to generate an 'one of a kind' attachment to a digital product, I don't see why both creators and consumers wouldn't pursue this.
I understand why creators might do this. Other than for speculative purposes, I don't understand why consumers want to sign on for a completely contrived premise of "digital ownership."

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I simply don't get NFT's.

Fascinating though.

Its Art. Whoever owns the rights to the artwork, gif, whatever, makes one verified digital copy for sale. They sell it as the only true copy, whoever owns it is the only person who owns the true copy. Just like you can get a replica of the Mona Lisa for your house if you want, there is only one original copy out there.

Whether that's worth any money to you is your decision but the value works the same way as selling a 100 million dollar Van Gogh

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I understand why creators might do this. Other than for speculative purposes, I don't understand why consumers to want to sign on for a completely contrived premise of "digital ownership."
Yep, I can understand money laundering or having fuckton of cash and not caring. That's about it.

Ok, this could work for CCGs and allow trading on digital platforms, which is also useful. From consumer/customer perspective though, it's such BS. Mind you, blockchain certainly has a lot of utility in financial industry, supply management, and much more, but this particular implementation and use is a big, giant, WTF.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I can understand money laundering or having fuckton of cash and not caring. That's about it.

Ok, this could work for CCGs and allow trading on digital platforms, which is also useful. From consumer/customer perspective though, it's such BS. Mind you, blockchain certainly has a lot of utility in financial industry, supply management, and much more, but this particular implementation and use is a big, giant, WTF.

okay the guy whose piece sold for that much isn't a complete nobody, this is not even that weird.

remember that people could buy bitcoins by the 1000s for nothing at one point. Lots of people still have tons.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This makes less sense to me than other art-world crap where in the digital sense if im still able to view and copy it, 'owning it' just becomes some arbitrary 3rd party telling others i own it, while anyone else is still free to get their free replicas that are 1 to 1 match.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
So one of my favourite pixel artists Paul Robertson is now selling his gifs. I could buy one for tons of money or right click Save As. What am I missing?
Anyone can watch and download the gif, but only one person can "own" it. You can then tell other people that you "own" that gif, and the blockchain will attest that you are in fact the sole and rightful "owner" of that gif.

Up to you to decide if that means anything to you. To me, this is stupid meaningless. The only reason I would ever consider buying one is in the hopes of being able to sell it for a higher price to some other sucker. If everybody else thinks the same way, then you have the makings of a speculative bubble.

Last edited:

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
You can buy tonnes of art that's worth next to nothing cause you like it tho?
You could also take a picture of the same art or even get physical copies of high end art pieces.

It kinda goes back to an old question of if you buy a forgery that is identical or near identical to the original art piece, is it as valuable as the original?

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Was Mark Cuban one of the people who had been involved with buying these? This sounds sort of like something I read before but I'm not sure

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You can right click save-as the Mona Lisa on wikipedia but it won't be the Mona Lisa that people travel to see, is the easiest way I can explain it.

Oct 27, 2017
You could also take a picture of the same art or even get physical copies of high end art pieces.

It kinda goes back to an old question of if you buy a forgery that is identical or near identical to the original art piece, is it as valuable as the original?
Personally I'm happy that things which previously held no monitory value will now be able to hold value and many of the creators of those things can make a better living.

Speculation, celebrity, money-laundering, carbon emissions and philosophical concerns about the nature of value notwithstanding.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is someone really collecting these things for fun by paying millions of dollars or do they really think they can sell it for higher?
It's plain old money laundering. It being tied to crypto currency just makes that even easier to hide hence this is taking off. Art has often been an avenue for these sorts of things and digital art via crypto is pretty much the perfect avenue for it to serve that purpose.

KadeYuy

Oct 30, 2017
The problem I can't seem to get over is the perfect reproduction of digital art. Physical objects are difficult to reproduce exactly as the original and they don't come from the original. Most art has physical problems with it. Even digital art that museums have are printed or somehow physically manifested into existence to have value AKA to make them unique.

NFT based art just gives you a stamp that says you own the original but copies of the original are perfect copies. They are the same thing at the byte level.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
54c6488e23bca891da3787c575e64c50.gif

Wonder how much this would go for...

Can you monetize the clips you buy? Like you get the copyright?

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
While I think this is completely idiotic, if anyone here is an artist/content creator, you might as well go on mintable.app and put some of your work up for sale. It's pretty easy. So long as there are fools willing to be parted with their money...

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
The problem I can't seem to get over is the perfect reproduction of digital art. Physical objects are difficult to reproduce exactly as the original and they don't come from the original. Most art has physical problems with it. Even digital art that museums have are printed or somehow physically manifested into existence to have value AKA to make them unique.

NFT based art just gives you a stamp that says you own the original but copies of the original are perfect copies. They are the same thing at the byte level.

Well the idea is to apply the concept of entitlement and ownership of material products to digital goods. So instead of your arbitrary criteria being the physical materials/age of the product, it 's now the crypto encoding. In the end, in both cases they are arbitrary criteria used to signify value but in nft's case entirely artificial and self-imposed.

Oct 25, 2017
With a digital item, it is literally the EXACT same digital piece. You just added one identifier that makes the original the original. However, the original is in no way different from the copies content wise. (Does the artist wipe any form of the work from their history/storage/backups????)

Some of the copies / bootlegs of physical items like prints and watches and furniture is beyond good now.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, digital artists like beeple should be empowered the same way "traditional" artists are for the display/purchase/reproduction of their art.

On the other, this shit is so overhyped and silly and with specific respect to beeple, a great deal of his art utilizes pre-existing assets.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Get ready for blockchain-backed meme art, sold to the highest bidder.
This is definitely the future, I would be extremely surprised if it doesn't happen.

BTW I'm putting all my posts on the blockchain, you all will have to send me ETH to read them as soon as I can figure out this wallet thingie.

Dr Shasta

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
I want to own Kirby Pucketts game 6 walkoff HR from 1991 highlight.

I would drop thousands on it as a gamble investment if they ever make that available.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Link to the video? I want to have 6.6 mil looping on my wall and I give two shits about a crypto sig.