• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What i expect is :

ridiculous better draw distance and reduced to almost none of pop-in
Better destruction
No loading times and no need to do "level transictions" to mask a load time

i think thats about it

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I think we can all agree on PC you can always brute force ultra settings so while PS4 1st party games are impressive and can hold their weight with PCs best (to a degree), PC AAA cross platform games will always have the edge. Control in that it has better framerates and RTX with native 4K support. No one should dispute that. Maybe on your opinion, Sony games have better art work so they may look nice but it's still not the same. Still a testament to the work of their 1st party that they can throw punches on their games though.

Also Sony 1st party and RTX support on ps5. Now you can sleep better knowing they will have even better looking games in the future. I expect nothing less from them. 🥰😀😭

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
It's gonna be Toy Story level graphics.

Apart from the likes of IQ, ray tracing and smooth edges on fingers, edges etc, as far as I am concerned the gen has beaten the likes of Toy story 1 and 2 in almost every other aspect. Materials, character detail, lighting, animation has taken a larger then I thought leap this gen. PBR in the likes of Days gone, spidey, AC, rdr2 and others have really really impressed me. I expect the next ratchet game on ps5 to equal if not beat even toy story 3 and many other pixar films pre 2012.

Playing the likes of rachet and clank, crash, spyro and kingdom hearts 3 on enchanced consoles was amazing, even on my base PS4 those games look fantastic and my daughter loves watching kingdom hearts 3 simply because it looks and feels like a pixar film. Leaving out pin sharp IQ and rounded edges, I agree with her. Looks amazing.

the next gen consoles, thanks to the CPUs and ssd alone, with be a massive leap, the expected gpu improvements are big, but other components this time around are more exiting.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hope devs double down on performance settings. It's nice to see that kind of configurations in certain games.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious to see if a game like Final Fantasy VII remake could make use of the SSD to create a sort of instantly loaded map specifically for the airship.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I think we can all agree on PC you can always brute force ultra settings so while PS4 1st party games are impressive and can hold their weight with PCs best (to a degree), PC AAA cross platform games will always have the edge. Control in that it has better framerates and RTX with native 4K support. No one should dispute that. Maybe on your opinion, Sony games have better art work so they may look nice but it's still not the same. Still a testament to the work of their 1st party that they can throw punches on their games though.

Also Sony 1st party and RTX support on ps5. Now you can sleep better knowing they will have even better looking games in the future. I expect nothing less from them. 🥰😀😭
That's the thing isn't it thou? PC players will have access to the best versions of console multi platform releases because nobody else is bothering to push PC hardware the same way Sony pushes their hardware as far as I know there is no AAA PC only games that are doing something similar to Sony other than brute forcing "better graphics" with the yearly GPU releases.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

RTX is Nvidia exclusive, whatever AMD has is different. it should be similar though.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing isn't it thou? PC players will have access to the best versions of console multi platform releases because nobody else is bothering to push PC hardware the same way Sony pushes their hardware as far as I know there is no AAA PC only games that are doing something similar to Sony other than brute forcing "better graphics" with the yearly GPU releases.

That's a curious idea that only Sony is pushing visuals in that industry. If anything Capcom with DMC5 got the lead when it comes to character models.

I feel like people are mixing up "cinematic feel" with visuals.
There are things some games do well, others they dont do that well. It's the same for many games.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CPU advancement will probably be the biggest jump in that area from the last few generations.

You can expect the studio that did this:

LCN9nj.gif

To make the jump to this:

WigglyThoseAfricangoldencat-size_restricted.gif

LameFoolhardyHornedtoad-size_restricted.gif

Is that Harry Potter RPG even still a thing? It's been what, almost 2 years since the leak?

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Apart from the likes of IQ, ray tracing and smooth edges on fingers, edges etc, as far as I am concerned the gen has beaten the likes of Toy story 1 and 2 in almost every other aspect. Materials, character detail, lighting, animation has taken a larger then I thought leap this gen. PBR in the likes of Days gone, spidey, AC, rdr2 and others have really really impressed me. I expect the next ratchet game on ps5 to equal if not beat even toy story 3 and many other pixar films pre 2012.

Playing the likes of rachet and clank, crash, spyro and kingdom hearts 3 on enchanced consoles was amazing, even on my base PS4 those games look fantastic and my daughter loves watching kingdom hearts 3 simply because it looks and feels like a pixar film. Leaving out pin sharp IQ and rounded edges, I agree with her. Looks amazing.

the next gen consoles, thanks to the CPUs and ssd alone, with be a massive leap, the expected gpu improvements are big, but other components this time around are more exiting.

Yeah...it was a joke. My post was a line that everyone kept repeating for generations starting with the N64.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY

Right and that is why PC comes at the top. There is more room to improve with the right hardware. Sony 1st parties are doing amazing work with what they have to use. (2013 hardware)

RTX is Nvidia exclusive, whatever AMD has is different. it should be similar though.
You know what I mean. Yes. Competition is always good. Glad Nvidia pushed that out. I just hope it's easy to implement and lots of games utilize it.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I dont know about any of the technical data and what they mean, i just want the below next gen:

- better IQ, no aliasing at all
- better optimised games
- graphical options: 1080p/4k
- framerate options: 30/60/unlocked, developers should stop forcing the fuckedup unlocked option on us.
- better loading
- as a playstation owner: day 1 full compatibilty with ps4 software (psn and discs), i am tired of building everything again from scratch.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
It totally depends on the game, but expect to see cinematic quality real-time graphics in some games (especially first party). Hell we kind of get that now.

Perf wise we'll probably see 1080p ~120FPS with optional supersampling on high res TV's, and cinematic gaming will have new depth thanks to ray tracing, which may hit somwthing like 1080p ~30FPS.

4K HDR will be standard, native 4K this time with varying FPS trade off.

Biggest thing is how PS5/Scarlett will play older games better, likely via native hardware scaling (think playing Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One X).

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I dont know about any of the technical data and what they mean, i just want the below next gen:

- better IQ, no aliasing at all
- better optimised games
- graphical options: 1080p/4k
- framerate options: 30/60/unlocked, developers should stop forcing the fuckedup unlocked option on us.
- better loading
- as a playstation owner: day 1 full compatibilty with ps4 software (psn and discs), i am tired of building everything again from scratch.

1. Until we reach like 12K some aa and higher res is best option anyone can get. Next gen we should see AF become far more standardize at 16x vs the crap we saw this gen.

2. Optimization is totally dev dependent, amd and nvidia have insane drivers so little blame can be placed on them especially if they use low level api since it's being bypassed. The only area that could be optimized better is low level OS settings but for whatever reasons sony and ms take the direction they do. That's a good and bad thing but network settings and timing aren't favorable to gaming. For me I don't want interrupt moderation on any system I use since it basically will cause stuttering once the network and game start competing for cpu. BSD allows much better cpu priority than windows but unless you set it up and correctly you will get no benefits and can regress.

3. Those and 1440p should be totally selectable.

4. This area should just become an automatic setting based on preference or forced. Too many people have preferences and unlocked will be great next gen with VRR. You will have a better image at 30-60fps VRR than 30fps static.

5. In the bag with SSD alone, and on bsd based OS system it will be even better since their cpu schedulers don't suck like windows. Will sony tune unlikely but it's a nice though to put out there.

6. I want that don't expect it.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I wonder how close PS5 could come to rendering Toy Story 2 CGI quality graphics, lighting, physics, etc in real-time at no more than native 720p and 30 frames per second using future versions of Unreal Engine 4.

Again, done by Square Enix (ala KH3) given a timeframe of 2024/2025 release, for a game that uses this it at least for certain parts (again, like KH3). And with it being at least 5 years off, if there is PS5 Pro / ScarlettXX hardware, it can take advantage of the say, 16-20 TF, assuming 2020 PS5/Scarlett is worst case, 8-10 RDNA TF.

Note: There would be no need to use any Ray Tracing whatsoever. (Toy Story 2 CGI did not use RT). Say if not using PS5//Scarlett RT hw gives a better graphical / performance result than with it dropping below 30fps.

Last edited:

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure if I can agree to most of the responses in this thread. Having the same cpu in a closed system versus having it in a PC is very different. For all we know, console might be able to achieve far more than PC with the same spec.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Lol what, this is so wrong. Console games EVEN NOW look better than PC games. Find me any PC game that looks better than Last of Us 2,God of War, Spiderman.

I have i5 2500 with gtx 1070 and believe me no PC game looks better than some console game

Are you serious? If anything, you are 100% talking about the subjective artwork. There is NOTHING that the consoles can do that the PC can't. Stop being misleading.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Are you serious? If anything, you are 100% talking about the subjective artwork. There is NOTHING that the consoles can do that the PC can't. Stop being misleading.
In the end that's honestly what matters most. People don't give a shit about how many lights can be cast into an indirect reflection or how many polygons are used to render a character. What they care about is how the moving picture works as a piece of art.

This is a tech thread but his opinion on the matter is shared by plenty of people.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
In the end that's honestly what matters most. People don't give a shit about how many lights can be cast into an indirect reflection or how many polygons are used to render a character. What they care about is how the moving picture works as a piece of art.

This is a tech thread but his opinion on the matter is shared by plenty of people.
PS3 Kratos looks better than PS4 Kratos /s

You brush over those aspects but they are exactly the kind of things being improved upon every gen.

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I wonder how close PS5 could come to rendering Toy Story 2 CGI quality graphics, lighting, physics, etc in real-time at no more than native 720p and 30 frames per second using future versions of Unreal Engine 4.

Why do console fans look for the next-gen consoles to see how they think their games would look like when the PC is the most powerful hardware available and easily dwarfs the next-gen consoles. If you want to see how things would look, then look no further than the PC.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It totally depends on the game, but expect to see cinematic quality real-time graphics in some games (especially first party). Hell we kind of get that now.

Perf wise we'll probably see 1080p ~120FPS with optional supersampling on high res TV's, and cinematic gaming will have new depth thanks to ray tracing, which may hit somwthing like 1080p ~30FPS.

4K HDR will be standard, native 4K this time with varying FPS trade off.

Biggest thing is how PS5/Scarlett will play older games better, likely via native hardware scaling (think playing Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One X).
I wouldn't be surprised to see 120fps in cross gen titles at 1080p, but next gen games at 120fps would probably look like current PC games on ultra.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Rtx/raytracinging: Lighting will make everything look more real.

Zen cpus: more physics stuff, destruction, background characters.

Ssd: Short loading, but compared to what we have now it's more like no loading. So imagine what you could do with no loading.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Why do console fans look for the next-gen consoles to see how they think their games would look like when the PC is the most powerful hardware available and easily dwarfs the next-gen consoles. If you want to see how things would look, then look no further than the PC.

because pc games arent at all indicative of what to expect next gen