• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asun

Nov 10, 2017
I see no similarities with the premise of Jurassic Park. Nope. Not at all.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I prefer the version that just did a lifecycle reduction to about a week. Mosquitos only feed once a week iirc and they only transfer disease when they feed twice, so it would eliminate their ability to spread disease while still leaving them in the ecosystem to be predated upon.

OP
OP
hordak

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
just remember that everything on this planet works with conjunction with everything else. Everything has a purpose. and it has worked pretty good for billions of years. until humans came around and fucked over everything. So killing off one species of mosquitos out of 3,000 probably won't effect the global ecosystem much. Hopefully. But yeah we all know there's one species that fucks over everything.....

MatrixVideo.jpg

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
just remember that everything on this planet works with conjunction with everything else. Everything has a purpose. and it has worked pretty good for billions of years. until humans came around and fucked over everything. So killing off one species of mosquitos out of 3,000 probably won't effect the global ecosystem much. Hopefully. But yeah we all know there's one species that fucks over everything.....

MatrixVideo.jpg

Humans are a natural species. Humans are capable of fucking over ecosystems to their exclusive detriment, as you yourself have posited.

Therefore, it is possible for a natural species to be a pure detriment to its ecosystem.

It is, therefore, not unreasonable to assume there are non-human species that also exist as a purely parasitic/destructive force in their environment.

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My knee-jerk reaction is good, fuck mosquitoes, but after thinking about it I don't think this is a good idea somehow.

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Humans are a natural species. Humans are capable of fucking over ecosystems to their exclusive detriment, as you yourself have posited.

Therefore, it is possible for a natural species to be a pure detriment to its ecosystem.

It is, therefore, not unreasonable to assume there are non-human species that also exist as a purely parasitic/destructive force in their environment.

Seriously, I don't get the natural ecosystem imbalance argument. This isn't going to kill all mosquitoes. There is no positive ecosystem add to the urban corridor that is south Florida other than disease.

zeropercent

Teyvat Traveler
May 13, 2020
A similar programme was expanded in Singapore this year. It's kind of gone under the radar because of covid, but the dengue outbreak this year has killed almost the same number of people with half the cases.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
A similar programme was expanded in Singapore this year. It's kind of gone under the radar because of covid, but the dengue outbreak this year has killed almost the same number of people with half the cases.

Mosquitoes continues to be responsible for one of the biggest deathcounts in human history but seems like many posters here are US-centric. I get it because this is about Florida, but the concept isn't just being applied in the US.

Archmage

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like a great strategy to control the mosquito population.

Hopefully they tested this to ensure that there aren't any significant negative impacts.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having had malaria several times, I would happily support nuking their entire population from orbit if possible......not even joking.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
i remember reading they wanted to do this with some rats? Mosquitos are safer I suppose.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Fuck mosquitos. I'm giving everyone criticizing this the side eye, and assuming they are now mosquitos gathered into a human suit as agents of their chaos.

I'm on to you.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Here in Singapore we've had this for a while already, because dengue is a really serious problem here.

www.straitstimes.com

Fighting dengue with genetically modified mosquitoes

It sounds crazy, but biotechnology company Oxitec has been breeding and releasing millions of mosquitoes in dengue hot spots, to keep the deadly disease in check. Read more at straitstimes.com.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If there is one species on this planet which deserved to earn Humanities wrath, it's Mosquitos. Damn buggers deserve to go extinct.

Next up Bedbugs and Tics. Let's burn all the bloodsuckers to the ground.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
this sounds okay but I wonder, won't it eventually result in wiping out the male species too because their eventually won't be females to mate with?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Not really understanding the handwringing here. We basically did the same thing to the screw worm and it worked out great.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Googling around, it looks like scientists estimate that 5% of all humans ever born throughout history died from malaria.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
If it actually works, then good. Fuck mosquitoes.
Fuck ticks too, they have been multiplying like crazy and carry nasty diseases.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I live rural so I probably see more mosquitoes than the average person, but modified ones.. with some hope they'll kill offspring?

Fuck no. That just sounds like itll be a disaster somehow.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck mosquitos, erase them all.

Edited after finding new news about the subject.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People in developed nations are quick to forget how devastating mosquito-borne diseases can be. Something like half a million people die each year from malaria alone. This sort of research is sorely needed, and I hope it proves to be successful.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
I'm more interested in the logistics than the ethical concerns. How does one obtain millions of mosquitos that are engineered not to breed? If they can't really breed because they die as larva, how do you have millions of them? Where do you store them before you release them- is there a giant warehouse full of crates of mosquitos somewhere? What do you feed them so they have sustenance before they're released?!

I'm picturing a shipping container full of millions of mosquitoes sitting in the middle of the Everglades, waiting for someone to open it. And every week the mosquito wranglers usher in a live goat to keep them satiated

Nov 30, 2017
Uh, I'm reading through that CNN story. So the idea is that over the long haul because females keep dying at birth, mosquito populations would eventually get wiped out?

Wouldn't that massively fuck up the ecology if mosquitos just started disappearing?

No because there are thousands of species of Mosquitoes. They target the ones that are disease carriers which are just a few.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, wipe them the fuck out. I've done enough research on this topic to say that the benefits gained from this far outweigh the low risks of something going wrong.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how I feel about humanity intentionally wanting to wipe out an entire family of insects.

And before you say "well they kill many people every year," it'd be wayyyy more beneficial to actually go after the disease(s) instead.

But hey I'm not a scientist.

Exactly, you're not a scientist.
But there ARE scientists actually "going after" the diseases.
This is not a binary choice, mosquitos OR looking for cures.