• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I really really hate it that they're doing this. What the fuck, Sony?

Not only are they pushing digital, they're pushing it in the most ham-fisted way possible and at the expense of their new system. The parallels to PS3 are definitely there. It's obvious that they sacrificed the design of the system to pushing digital, and as a result we have this horrible monstrosity.

And it's not just the design, now they're splitting the userbase from day one. Even if PS5 Shitty Edition flops, there will be some amount of non-physical systems out there, and publishers will use them to justify all kinds of bullshit. Download codes in retail boxes, "internet download required" incomplete game releases, just skipping physical altogether "because not everyone can get that disc SKU" and loads more bullshittery. It really is the Xbox One DRM all over again, just in Sony flavor this time.

Also we will forever have the gimped PS5 SKU to worry about. Buying a system, you can't just buy a PS5, you have to make sure you're not getting the Shitty Edition. And for the more mainstream consumer, they can't just buy a PS5 either, they have to know about the difference, and there will be sales and campaigns pushing the Shitty Edition to people who think it's just a PS5 and hey what's that small print? Bet that's what Sony is banking on, they're hoping that enough people won't care.

Ozzie666

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Can anyone tell me, when you buy a physical game that just contains the download code, are they usually the same price or more expensive than their digital counterparts?

I would love to embrace a digital only future for games, however $99 versus $79 (sometimes lower) + $20-$40 trade in value, is a pretty big swing. I could handle digital if they were the same initial price and forgo my trade in abilities. Not about money, more about the principal.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
I wonder if PS5D is going to be more popular because it will be better performing. I mean digital game will use the full power of the console vs disc. Or are there full installs on PS nowadays? (been out of the loop the last decade mostly playing PC/Nintendo)

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if PS5D is going to be more popular because it will be better performing. I mean digital game will use the full power of the console vs disc. Or are there full installs on PS nowadays? (been out of the loop the last decade mostly playing PC/Nintendo)
All PS4 games require HDD install. The games haven't been running directly from disc for a while.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Everything gets installed, nothing runs from the disc anymore.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
It's nowhere even close to being "a thing of the past", so the title of the thread is some real hyperbole. But they certainly are trying to hasten that day along. The industry as a whole is going in a direction in which media ownership is eliminated, and physical media has to die for that to happen.

Everything gets installed, nothing runs from the disc anymore.

That's true of some games, but not nearly all.

TibimusPrime

Nov 26, 2017
Can anyone tell me, when you buy a physical game that just contains the download code, are they usually the same price or more expensive than their digital counterparts?

I would love to embrace a digital only future for games, however $99 versus $79 (sometimes lower) + $20-$40 trade in value, is a pretty big swing. I could handle digital if they were the same initial price and forgo my trade in abilities. Not about money, more about the principal.

there are very very limited physical games that contains the Download code, and a few games where you can get the download code for, sadly, it's nothing like PC counterpart where you can get a code for every game. Most of the time you'll be buying of the PSN store, for 10€/$/£ more then the usual (standard editions)

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
since you digital people aren't ever going to stop with this shit, let me give you an early congratulations for when the time comes and everything is digital and you've won the argument and everyone's library is in the hands of these companies

nikatapi

Jan 11, 2018
It's good to have options. And there are lots of people who have never bought physical games on PS4. Doesn't change the fact that many gamers want to own the physical copy.

Oct 30, 2017
As usual... over exaggerating.

So now Sony is offering a digital only option for the digital only gamers = Physical games are from the past?

.... just what kind of logic is that lol.

formatnone

Oct 31, 2017
Lithuania
as someone who haven't bought a disc in over a decade (games, music, movies, etc), i still think that PS6 will have option of using physical media(heck i think even PS7 will still have a option to use physical media, as there will still be plenty of game collectors, and Limited edition and CE edition buyers) and i'm totally fine with that. The all digital version of PS5 is literally for me and the likes, that don't buy physical media anymore, and have fast, no caps, cheap internet. It's an option, not a constrain.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Disc-drive PS5 means I can replay all my disc-based PS4 exclusives on the console. I didn't switch to digital during the PS4 era, therefore purchasing a digital only PS5 means I'd have to repurchase all those games again.

I still value the possibility of reselling my games once I'm done with them. I've learned from my overgrowing Steam library over the year that I basically never replay 98% of any game I purchase, and barely start 25% of them. I don't mind all that much for games I've bought when they were 85% off, but if I need to shell out $90 cdn to play some games day one, you better believe I want to retrieve some of that money back in the long run and consoles do offer me that option, which I value.

Oct 30, 2017

Not only are they pushing digital, they're pushing it in the most ham-fisted way possible and at the expense of their new system. The parallels to PS3 are definitely there. It's obvious that they sacrificed the design of the system to pushing digital, and as a result we have this horrible monstrosity.

And it's not just the design, now they're splitting the userbase from day one. Even if PS5 Shitty Edition flops, there will be some amount of non-physical systems out there, and publishers will use them to justify all kinds of bullshit. Download codes in retail boxes, "internet download required" incomplete game releases, just skipping physical altogether "because not everyone can get that disc SKU" and loads more bullshittery. It really is the Xbox One DRM all over again, just in Sony flavor this time.

Also we will forever have the gimped PS5 SKU to worry about. Buying a system, you can't just buy a PS5, you have to make sure you're not getting the Shitty Edition. And for the more mainstream consumer, they can't just buy a PS5 either, they have to know about the difference, and there will be sales and campaigns pushing the Shitty Edition to people who think it's just a PS5 and hey what's that small print? Bet that's what Sony is banking on, they're hoping that enough people won't care.

Are you serious?!

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty hilarious If you think abut it. Microsoft was right. They knew the future but just fumbled the PR HARD. Here we are in the future and Sony is going all in on a digital future.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Even though the messaging was poor, Microsoft was right back then. I thought it was pretty obvious that is where we were heading. They were a bit too early but the complaints should have been more focused on "Not now" rather than "Not never".

This is almost parallel to the headphone jack on mobile phones. Is removing the physical option better? No. Is it going to continue to happen? Absolutely.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
Before that happens, some things will have to change.

1. Refund option, most physicall copies you can pre-order or buy can be returned or cancelled. This is a little bit harder on a all digital platform.
2. Owning the game, you can still play a discontinued game if you have a physical copy. What happens to games when licenses expire, etc.
3. Acces to good internet, not every country had fast internet like or the US where data bundles is still a thing.
4. Game stores and online stores. They give a lot of promo and (pre-order) deals. And price competition is good for us as a consumer. What would happen if MS and Sony are the only platform where you can buy games. Or we would have a lot of extra online platforms like EA and UBI have.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
I like the ability physical has when it comes to some games getting delisted/licensing issues and no longer having access to download them.
Some game series i just like to have a physical copy to have on display on my shelf. Digital is convenient but internet infrastructure still isn't quite there to support full digital libraries.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
How many times are people going to keep saying "physical is going to be gone in the next couple years" only for it to still be a thing years later?

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I think even MS failed original plan for the X1 came into play like half way through the gen. We could easily share game with our accounts and I mostly went full digital.

I think I lent a game in the way of that video like twice this gen vs sharing an account multiple times.

ChemicalWorld

"This guy are sick"
Dec 6, 2017
Honestly don't get all the hate for the new disc drive, least I can see it this time around without trying to shunt my disc in the wrong way (looking at you PS4 Pro...)

OP
OP
ShiningBash

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
What are you talking about?

They both have drives and as long as discs continue to be the cheapest way to buy games I'll stick to them

Esp at the start of a new gen
My post was about the observation that both Sony and MS (we don't fully know about Lockhart yet but it's speculated) making digital cheaper than physical. GamePass at $10/month is the cheapest way for many ppl to obtain games. Since it's going to be cheaper from the start, I think more ppl will organically choose the digital option. This may not happen in countries where physical disks are cheaper (or the internet is prohibitively slow), but the lower prices should have an impact.

I feel like this thread has gone off the rails and some folks ought to take a deep breath on this physical vs digital debate. For those who have used this thread to point out the other cost considerations that may outweigh any Lockhart, GamePass, PS5DE disparity, thank you.

Jun 20, 2018
I don't think either of them are making a decision to end physical media, despite how much it would benefit them. They're just adapting to where the market is going. Don't most figures show we're above 50% sales being digital now? It just makes sense that there will be more and more people out there that don't want to buy discs again.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
My post was about the observation that both Sony and MS (we don't fully know about Lockhart yet but it's speculated) making digital cheaper than physical. GamePass at $10/month is the cheapest way for many ppl to obtain games. Since it's going to be cheaper from the start, I think more ppl will organically choose the digital option. This may not happen in countries where physical disks are cheaper (or the internet is prohibitively slow), but the lower prices should have an impact.

I feel like this thread has gone off the rails and some folks ought to take a deep breath on this physical vs digital debate. For those who have used this thread to point out the other cost considerations that may outweigh any Lockhart, GamePass, PS5DE disparity, thank you.

It depends if gamepass is properly emulated by Sony I guess.
If they do end uo embracing it I can see your point.

Also if they have more digital purchases covering both the consultant or and streaming that would help push the digital future along.

Baron Bliss

Oct 31, 2017
Given that Sony is trying to move PS4 users to PS5 "as quickly as possible" I think it's likely that all digital purchases of BC PS4 games will be transferable to the PS5. So even if you didn't buy physical this generation, you'll still be able to play all your games on the next. At least that's what I hope given that I bought most of my PS4 games digitally...

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I like to buy my games physically, and I totally understand why publishers want me to buy digital only.
I want to have the option. I don't care about a rpg digitally, as I play them then don't touch it again once finished.
Also storage space cost a lot and games are bigger and bigger.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
You could never not buy physical games before though. That was never the issue with the XB1.

Two very different things.

It's nowhere even close to being "a thing of the past", so the title of the thread is some real hyperbole. But they certainly are trying to hasten that day along. The industry as a whole is going in a direction in which media ownership is eliminated, and physical media has to die for that to happen.

That's true of some games, but not nearly all.
Its true of all the games. Especially when talking next-gen.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty hilarious If you think abut it. Microsoft was right. They knew the future but just fumbled the PR HARD. Here we are in the future and Sony is going all in on a digital future.
Yes, Ms was right with their "24h no online, you now own a brick, because fuck you" console, because that's the same as launching one out of 2 console skus without a disc drive.
Congrats for sticking out of a crowd full of fanboys.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'll tell you what the fuck. You are not going to like it and it's going to be painful to read this for you. Optical media is dated technology from the last century. Mainstream use of optical media died years ago. Console players basically are the only ones still using this archaic, slow, legacy technology in some capacity. PCs don't have optical drives, laptops don't have optical drives, cars don't have optical drives. Optical media is cluttering up your house and is horrible for the planet. More and more console players see this and are happy to move to digital purchases.

PS5 Digital Edition is sleeker and nicer because it doesn't have optical drive (duh). Optical drives are bulky, because again, it's outdated legacy technology. It's the same with laptops, ones without optical drives are nicer and sleeker. Another reason why Sony focused on DE is because it will most likely be cheaper and will be the best selling version of PS5.

Physical media has been dead in PC gaming for nearly a decade and it's only a matter of time before the same happens to consoles. What you will do I don't know. Will you quit gaming it's up to you, but you are clinging to a tech that's going obsolete very soon. Hopefully this post is your wake up cold shower that you needed.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
You can still buy physical movies and box sets despite the fact the movie industry is well ahead of the gaming industry in the transition to digital.

Consumers should embrace options. Giving people who don't want discs the option to go all digital is better for the environment. It may be small in the scheme of things but if consumers don't want it, why force them to take it? I have digital drives on the 4 consoles I purchased this gen. I have used the disc drive exactly 3 times....to play Elf at Christmas for the kids. Now that I've purchased the digital version of Elf, it's a waste to have a disc drive included.

Edit: Despite the trend to digital, the 2013 Xbox reveal and policies was a complete disaster and Mattrick was not right in his delivery or approach. Details and how you get there matter. Digital PS5 doesn't prove anything right about the Xbox One reveal. Fortunately we're all good now.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'll tell you what the fuck. You are not going to like it and it's going to be painful to read this for you. Optical media is dated technology from the last century. Mainstream use of optical media died years ago. Console players basically are the only ones still using this archaic, slow, legacy technology in some capacity. PCs don't have optical drives, laptops don't have optical drives, cars don't have optical drives. Optical media is cluttering up your house and is horrible for the planet. More and more console players see this and are happy to move to digital purchases.

PS5 Digital Edition is sleeker and nicer because it doesn't have optical drive (duh). Optical drives are bulky, because again, it's outdated legacy technology. It's the same with laptops, ones without optical drives are nicer and sleeker. Another reason why Sony focused on DE is because it will most likely be cheaper and will be the best selling version of PS5.

Physical media has been dead in PC gaming for nearly a decade and it's only a matter of time before the same happens to consoles. What you will do I don't know. Will you quit gaming it's up to you, but you are clinging to a tech that's going obsolete very soon. Hopefully this post is your wake up cold shower that you needed.

I don't disagree with your other points like being better for the environment, but physical media is not outdated at all. A UHD Blu ray is gonna look and sound way better than a 4K stream.

Sure, most people won't care but the ones that pay for premium TVs and sound system does.

Of course it has nothing to do with games but still a point for why physical still exists, and the Ps5 will probably be the UHD Blu ray player for many.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
They are just giving u the option. Buy the standard version with disc. Can't understand this kind of reaction.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Not looking forward to a digital future on consoles if they are trying to slowly phase out disc drives this way. PC, I can handle; games drop in price somewhat organically due to the many different storefronts competing. Anytime I look at the console stores I see digital games that are a good £10 more expensive than physical at brand new and even after a year never seem to drop in price unless there's some sale event going on. For example, AC odessey is £54.99 on the PStore and £16.60 on Ubisofts PC store.

fuckin meh for the most part.