• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Wait it's been 6 months. Most of it is a blur to be honest with you.

It's probably been awful for my mental health as I've been working at home and I also sleep in that room in in it for 20 hours a day.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine, I know my wife's losin it but I'm holdin it together pretty well. Gonna grab my Surface dock from the office this weekend finally which'll be the last cord yet cut as I expect to be WFH probably for another 3-6mo at this point.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Shit sucks.

But at least I have a job that I can work from home.
Pretty much. It's become normal and routine and I hate it, but I can't really complain under the circumstances.

But I am so angry that my kids have to do school at home this Fall. I have told them several times that this didn't need to happen, and that adults in positions of power intentionally made bad decisions that caused this, and that they should never ever forget who those adults are and what they did.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Doing alright I guess, miss meeting with my friends and going on a bender, but that is nothing compared to what other people have to go through. Still go to work, so at least I am leaving the house for a bit. Family is ok too.
Anything we can help with Fiction? Sorry to hear that.
My husband died unexpectedly two weeks ago. It was incredibly traumatic as well. I'm barely holding together but I have to for the kids. Since he controlled everything there is also the stress of learning everything. I actually just moved back into the house last night.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
My husband died unexpectedly two weeks ago. It was incredibly traumatic as well. I'm barely holding together but I have to for the kids. Since he controlled everything there is also the stress of learning everything. I actually just moved back into the house last night.
I'm so sorry. My brother's wife passed a few weeks ago and the same thing is happening to him. It takes time, but you'll get through it. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

In regards to the OP's question, I'm okay. It's been rough for my wife and kid and it's rough for me as I'm doing the COVID-dodge when I go out. Between how jacked regular life has been, how hard it's been on my family, and the political shit every day (like realizing half the people around you are selfish pricks)... it's fucking hard. We've lost some people and it's just been awful. I'm glad to be working but that's about it.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
It's been weird. On the one hand, I've got a job I can work from home, and a safe environment to stay with my fiancée (and half of the time her daughter/my future stepdaughter). I'm enjoying more delivery as well. But at the same time, I miss my friends and family, have had a lot of upheaval with them recently (my grandmother died 2 weeks ago, and now my grandfather on the opposite side of the family has bone marrow cancer), and I'm still bitter that my wedding got pushed back from October 3rd to sometime next year due to covid.

But even with all that, I'd be a LOT more ok if I didn't have to wake up to Trump as President every day. I lose more sleep to that piss stain than anything else in my life by far.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Still doing good. I get to work from home, my job is safe, and I'm in a good financial place. I just worry for my family in Puerto Rico.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
They brought us all back to the office a couple of months ago. So I get to sit at a desk all day wearing a mask in a cubicle, even though my job can be done 100% from home. In fact, when the city shut down and the company was forced to have us work from home, productivity rose greatly. But butts in seats matters more to this place than safety I guess.
You looking to get out? I imagine it wouldn't be too hard with your skillset.

It's been the exact opposite at my place. Company continues to discourage and put restrictions on people coming into the office and going on business travel (even though we're technically essential), while many employees are itching to get back into the office.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Pretty great, I've been working from home and working out. Due to the apartment issues, many have become available for rent at decent prices, and so I have swooped in to land an apartment with a private backyard.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Just boring for the most part. Not working since my office has been completely closed since March but planning to leave nyc anyway after this over so mainly just nothing really going on.

Gunship

Oct 28, 2017
Preparing myself mentally for the worst of it. Spring/Summer lockdown wasn't too bad, but with Autumn/Winter arriving fast and the prospect of all the things I used to enjoy - live concerts, theatre, art exhibitions - being unavailable for potentially years and the entire arts industry going to the wall, there's not much left to live for.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Not too bad. I miss travel, but financially I'm quite happy, even with all those stock volatility. The pandemic also helps to keep flu cases low, which is a plus especially for my job as a teacher.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
The main changes in my life is that work form home now and I buy enough groceriesfor 3 weeks instead of 1. My dad wants me to visit him and rewire his entertainment center though...

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I'm depressed and spending too much on groceries, not exercising enough, haven't seen family in 18 months. My mom takes auto-immune meds so she is especially vulnerable, ontop of being a senior. Can't go see her, quarantining for 2 weeks is not practical. Not seeing other family members is not practical. I would be a danger to them all, coming from a red US state.

I'm an introvert and I fucking hate covid.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
We're definitely far better off than most. I've worked freelance and from home for a couple years already, and my wife quit working back in February. My work hasn't been affected yet, but I think I'll feel the effects later on. I write music for TV shows, which were all on hold for a while. But since my income is royalties, I am still making money from other shows I've worked on rerunning to fill the time slots left empty by postponed new shows. That said, royalty payments are 9 months behind from when the shows air, and the royalty collection companies are likely taking a hit in collections from TV networks because of the recession. The PROs (who collect royalties for us) also get paid by restaurants and bars that play music over the air, so that side of their income has been completely busted. If I see a drop in royalty payments, it'll be starting next year in January. Crossing my fingers that they've managed to cushion the blow a bit.

The only thing I feel the right to complain about is having our kid home all the time now since we kept her out of her 3 day a week pre-pre-school this year. She's great, but man we sure miss having some hours to ourselves.

Everything else is just mental anxiety and stress over the possibility of myself or someone I love getting sick. But we're not quite 30 yet, and I think we're both pretty healthy and strong. The rest is out of our control.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
You looking to get out? I imagine it wouldn't be too hard with your skillset.

It's been the exact opposite at my place. Company continues to discourage and put restrictions on people coming into the office and going on business travel (even though we're technically essential), while many employees are itching to get back into the office.
I plan on it, but I'm waiting until February so I can cash out some stock. Plus I'll have my BS in CS done in December.

Deleted member 14887

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My situation overall is at a good equilibrium atm. Still have my high and lows but they are far less severe than previously. Mentally I am probably doing the best I ever have especially with my ADHD as I am now back on meds to help with that.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Things should be well. I'm fortunate and privileged enough to find a better paying job during a pandemic, and all my loved ones are safe and healthy.

Working from home has just been a massive challenge for me. I've always had troubles staying focused, but being in an office setting worked well enough for me. Now, I just can't do it. I've tried many different things, but I'm struggling to the point of spiraling into depression. What if I lose my job since I can't be productive? I've been contemplating seeing a doctor about what I've always suspected is undiagnosed ADHD, but I feel like it's wrong since I've been able to get to where I am in life now without ever getting tested for it. I'm just lost.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My condolences, I'm so sorry to hear that. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Situation is worse than when it started, but it's not as bad as it could be.

Got laid off in mid-July, which shook my faith in the company I worked for because they've always been incredibly transparent and communicative about how the business is going, and up until that point they kept saying that things were stable. I've been searching for work ever since, putting out applications almost every day, but I can count the number of interviews I've had on one hand. I always found job-hunting to be a strain on my mental well-being, but not having the safety of being able to do it while still employed makes it worse. I at least got 2 months salary as severance, and I've got enough saved to make it to the end of my apartment lease next year, but I'm just afraid that March is going to come and I'm going to have to make the decision to move back home and essentially start all over again. At the very least I won't end up homeless, but life was going very well for me up until I got laid off, and to see it all just shattered in a matter of months is incredibly disheartening.

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
Jesus, I'm sorry to hear that, my condolences, I can't imagine what you have been and still going through. If there is anything we can do, please let us know, I hope you have someone to talk to right now cause that's seems too much to ask to deal with alone.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
It's overall not been as bad as I thought. Experienced a lot of growth in my job working from home, and I see my family once a week.

That being said, I've been incredibly overwhelmed lately with work and with personal matters, just like I was feeling back in March when the lockdown started. I'm going to be taking some time off to hopefully just have some peace and quiet.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
My condolences to you and your family.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Bad. I'm alone 24/7, stuck with my chronic illness and all the dark thoughts that it instigates. And even more isolated due to COVID. I'm basically losing my mind.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I lost my job, been unemployed for close to 2 months now.
Staying home pretty much every single day.
Oh and I got a puppy before losing my job so yeah.
I just want to have a secure job at this point.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Things could be worse but mentally some days I really struggle. Especially again as things are heading south. Like I'm not sure some days why I keep going because it's hard to see the light but then other times things don't seem so bad if I like, don't try to think about it much (at all). I'd love to be able to take a break from work but tbh there's not much to escape to sitting at home all the time. Not like I can really go anywhere or see anyone and feel safe or comfortable. I can't even imagine what others must be going through who are much worse a position than myself.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Doing great. It's a luxury working from home. You save so much time, it's crazy.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The having no job and having to live with my dad part sucks. But I enjoy being able to just stay inside everyday and do nothing.

I'm debating trying to find a part time job, but I'd rather not and wait until I can get a proper job.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Just fine, overall. I work from home. My SO works from home. Social life took a massive hit, as did working out properly at a gym. Either way, it's just more introverted time than extroverted. Just leaning into what makes me happy and what I can control.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
6 months????? it feels like 6 years, and with the dumbest President ever it feels more like 60 years..

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you. I've lost a few family members this year, but a spouse is a different kind of loss. From talking to my mom about it, the best thing you can do is allow yourself to lean on people, and give yourself the patience to work through the trauma. You won't be quite yourself in a deep way for a while, and in ways you aren't consciously aware of. But you will get through it. If you ever need an ear from a stranger, send me a DM.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Getting worse, struggling to hold on to hope. Sinking deeper into my depression and feeling more lonely than I have in awhile. I have a light at the end of the tunnel so I try to stay focused on that.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I'm doing great I was basically made for this type of environment. I think I've made the most money working from home and barely feeling work crunch since I'm at home anyways. My workout routine suffered so I started buying gym equipment since gyms are pretty much done for me till 2022 if that. If this goes on for a while I'm gonna have a lot of money saved up due to it.

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
I saved a lot more money from not going out as often to shop/eat etc, but now things even in that respect are more or less back to normal; Exception being I wear a mask when not eating/drinking indoors in public/at work now. Can't wait to get the kids back to school, that's the big difference left. Fingers crossed, they'll be back 2 days a week by mid-October it looks like.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I still have a job, health, and my friends to keep me occupied.

I hate that my social life was absolutely amazing prior but has gone down the toilet due to most things being closed or friends not wanting to risk some activities.

Gym has also stopped. I was very proud of my body and its in the toilet now.

God I hope things go back to normal

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I miss casually leaving the flat and hanging out with friends outside during the day and night. Miss going over to friend's places for parties, bbqs and just hanging out. Miss having friends over to play video games and watch Netflix. I miss going out to watch sports. I miss playing baseball and basketball with friends. I miss my weekly guitar classes. I miss casually eating at bars and restaurants. I miss going to the movies. I miss music concerts and festivals. I miss travelling to new countries and experiencing new things. Heck, part of me even misses talking to my friendly intriguing work colleagues face to face at my current amazing job.

Staying indoors to eat, sleep, work, play video games rinse repeat every day/week/month just flat out sucks. The appeal wore off after the first week.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Struggling mentally and emotionally.

Working from home now, just had a third baby back in May, our oldest started first grade last month and is practically depressed staying home and having to learn on a computer from his mom. The middle one runs around and needs attention, the newborn needs constant attention, it's difficult to work and concentrate and we do our best to stay level headed.

I haven't gone to the gym since March and I used to go almost every day. It was a big stress reliever. We haven't gone to a restaurant since then either.

It's a nightmare for the most part. Just trying to keep it together.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an introvert so regarding not being able to go the office has been great for me.
My aunt's husband died during the pandemic but we're not sure if he got covid because my aunt is a pathological liar. But thankfully my immediate family has been safe.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Therapy and Ring Fit Adventure are what's keeping me sane.

I wanted to switch jobs before this hit, and now I'm basically stuck because nobody is hiring, so I'm stuck at a job I hate. I know I should be thankful, but I'd rather be thankful somewhere else.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
In all honesty. I'm a mixed bag.

I stayed employed during COVID, and for that I am eternally grateful. But at the same time my mental health has taken a major toll.

I've always suffered from depression but managed to muddle along with help from friends and anti-depressants. Unfortunately I haven't seen most of my friends in 6 months and my anti-depressants have more or less stopped working.

My family is cracking apart at the seams; my father abandoned our family out of the blue last year and I haven't been able to reconcile my losing him; it's like he died because I don't see him anymore and we've stopped talking, but he's still alive...my mom is about to be forced into retirement due to COVID which will dramatically impact my financial situation. There's enough money in the family that I probably won't become homeless anytime soon but I'm constantly staring down the barrel of the prospect that things are only going to get worse from here on out, and it's just...draining. Nothing even feels fun anymore.

I've been passively suicidal for several months now, and at this point I've just accepted it as the new default. Most nights I go to sleep and silently pray I don't wake up; and I feel like a fucking heel for feeling this way because I know a lot of people have it way worse than me but I can't help it. My problems are nothing compared to most peoples, but I feel like I can't hack it and it's eating me up inside. I feel like such a weak piece of shit for even complaining about my stupid fucking problems.

But I managed to get a PS5 today, so I've got that going for me...which is nice.

BronzeWolf

Nov 3, 2017
Mexico
Doing pretty well actually. Current restrictions are livable, I am working, and my tenants are all back to working 100%.

Might be a nice Christmas after all.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
My county voted to end the local emergency and everyone is back out 100%. literally nobody I know is taking it seriously anymore. I feel like I am on a completely different planet. I stay home, and take precautions. Which makes you an outcast here.