• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Easily Returnal. The game is one of the most original new IPs in a while. A really special game.

capybara-dive

Nov 1, 2017
It takes two, Chicory, or Before Your Eyes

If really pressed to pick, probably It Takes Two. Had so much fun playing that with my wife.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Otherwise RE Village if we don't count remasters. Loved that game!

Disclaimer: I haven't played Ratchet yet.

Ashburner

Jan 12, 2018
Only 6 months in and its already a hard call for me..

It's between Valheim, Returnal and Resident Evil Village.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
It Takes Two for games that actually released this year.

Slay the Spire is my LTTP GOTY.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Genesis Noir and Loop Hero

I haven't played too many 2021 games yet though. Sable demo was super promising.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I'm not even sure, to be honest. Rachet and Clank, I guess? Chicory is great, but it's kind of too "twee" for me. Now, I haven't finished it, so maybe it gets a little less saccharine later on. Haven't played RE8 or Returnal yet.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
1. RE Village
2. It Takes Two
3. DOOM Eternal: The Ancient Gods (Part 2)
4. Hitman 3
5. Subnautica: Below Zero

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Rift Apart so far, really enjoyed the journey and how fun they made traversal and combat in that game. A close second would be It Takes Two.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Returnal, by far. It has been a long time since I've been so addicted to a game. I tend to shy away from harder games, but here everything just connected. And the movement is stellar.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Titled-Hero-Art-1920x1080-1.jpg

runner up would be Monster Hunter. I wasn't that hot on R&C.

I like Returnal, but the save state issue talked about as ad nauseam hurts me when I don't have long blocks to play at this point in my life.

Let me say in general it's been a kinda meh year. There haven't been a ton of great releases geared towards me. I get Covid is the driving force here though.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
It's currently NieR Replicant, but I haven't really played any major releases this year aside from it and Ender Lilies (which I haven't had too much time for since I'm busy with other stuff right now), so maybe it'll change later this year. However, I think the only upcoming game I'm interested in that has a real chance of topping NieR for me is SMT V, and it'd really have to knock my socks off to achieve that.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played many games yet this year but Kaze and the Wild Masks was my favourite so far.

sedael

Oct 16, 2020
Mass Effect LE lol. If it has to be a new game then It Takes Two is the best one ive played this year by a pretty decent gap

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a tie between Returnal and Rift Apart. Hard for me to choose.

Also really enjoyed Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Having the whole trilogy on one disc in 60 FPS was great. I had a blast replaying the trilogy again.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury and that kinda sucks because one of them is an old game but what a game

strictly 2021 stuff (for western audiences at least), it's ys ix. kaze and the wild masks and ratchet & clank: rift apart were also my jam though.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ratchet and Clank.

It would have been It Take Two if the writing/story/VO aspects weren't as bad as they are.

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
I've played so few games that have come out this year. I'm finally getting a PS5 in a couple of weeks, so I'll get to try out Ratchet & Clank.

For now, it's Hitman 3.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
1. Mechwarrior 5
2. Ratchet
3. Necromunda

Most played is SFV.

Crappy year (for me) :(

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
1. Mundaun
2. Genesis Noir
3. Doki Doki Literature Club Plus

Haven't played Chicory.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Yakuza: Like A Dragon (PS5 version).

This year has been softer than baby shit because of COVID delays so I've played so few new games. If it had to be a pure 2021 exclusive probably Rift Apart but even then I thought it was good, not great.