• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one do you like best?

• PS5

Votes: 954 20.2%
  • XSX

Votes: 2,930 62.0%
  • XSS

Votes: 520 11.0%
  • PS5 Digital

Votes: 321 6.8%

• Total voters

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
XSX in terms of design(vs ps5) and it's not even close.

I wish we had some filtering options because anyone that says PS5 I would like the ability to flag their aesthetic opinions indefinitely, because suggesting PS5 in anyway looks good immediately invalidates your taste in my eyes.

I honestly can not grasp how that design made it to market. It is one of the most hideous console designs ever, and that is saying something because the console space has way more bad designs than good.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I have a Series X and Series S and I voted for Series S. I actually stare and admire it because I find it so aesthetically pleasing. The last console to accomplish that for me was the Wii and then the PS2 Slim before it.

Microsoft has picked an excellent shade of white for the Series S. It almost has a hint of Greige (i.e. Gray/Beige) in it that allows it to compliment both warm and cold colors. The circular grill gives it this modern Swedish vibe that I dig. The way the white accentuates shadows that are casted by the lighting in your room and the sharp corners give it visual complexity. Finally, the compact size is the cherry on top. Just knowing that this little box (smallest Xbox ever) is full of such cool technology is just impressive.

I like bold designs so I don't hate the PS5 but I just think it's too big and plan to wait a bit with hopes that a slim redesign is in the works.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I preferred the PS5 before they came out and I still do now while owning both. The SX is just boring as fuck looking to me, not that I don't also love the machine though.

ViviGaia9

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2021
XSX, smaller, slicker design, quieter and more powerful. I mean the Xbox engineering team deserves a gold medal.

Colocho

Oct 25, 2017
I will forever think that the PS5 looks like a 2nd year architecture student project who is obviously ripping off Zaha Hadid

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
As someone with both systems the first thing I commented on when I opened my XSX was how sleek and beautiful the design is and it's amazingly quiet when it runs as well

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
It can't be overstated how stupid the PS5 looks in person. The disk version bump only makes it worse.

I don't think the Series X is amazing looking but at least it doesn't stand out.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not even an Xbox customer and it's obviously Xbox lol. Ps5 is one of the ugliest consoles of all time easy.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Now that there is a Series S option I'm changing my vote. It's elegant.

I thought the PS5 looked OK until I saw it in person and how huge it was. If it were the same design but 60% the size it would be fine (but still worse than the Series S).

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Pro tip...lowes and home depot have $3 heavy duty boxes that can hold pretty much anything. I imagine a ps5 would fit in a medium sized box...xsx would probably fit in a small. Use fed ex over usps or ups and shouldn't cost any more then 15 to 25 anywhere in continental us.
There's no Fed ex or UPS in Greece. I work in US facility in Greece with a USPS and that's the only way to ship it.

also of course used a used box to ship. You don't want shipping an item that shows PS5

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I own and like both consoles, and I like this gen in general. The hardware is amazing for what you get for $500 in both cases (if you can find one), and the new emphasis on BC and 60 fps is huge.

That out of the way, I think in terms of console design and console features the XSX is better in nearly every way. Aesthetically it's very good, whereas the PS5 is, in my opinion, the most hideous console ever brought to market by any manufacturer. It looks like a prop from a 2005 syfy channel tv show.

I also prefer the XSX on features. Gamepass aside, stuff like quick resume, smart delivery, and strong BC features (fps boost, auto HDR) and wider BC support are big as well. The only advantage PS5 has at this point, in my opinion, is the dual sense provides more flexibility with rumble and the haptic triggers, but for me personally this stuff isn't that appealing and I've often turned it off when playing games .

It's quite possible that Sony once again ends up with the stronger stable of exclusives this gen. Time will tell. But in general I prefer the XSX this time after being a ps4 main last gen. XSX won me over.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
I like the PS5 digital. Its reminiscent of something like the GameCube—you'll be able to look at one in 20 years and go hey that's a PS5.

Series X looks like a subwoofer. It's forgettable. I get that some folks prefer that, though.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Series X or S.

The PS5 is garish, and looks like the Madden 2001 logo, but w/e it's not a deal breaker. If you told me the PS5 was a fan render I would believe you.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 is truly ugly, but the "ugliest console ever" has me thinking back to the 90s and earlier. There were some really hideous designs if you go back. Gamecube is probably the ugliest from a major player, IMHO.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
In terms of engineering, and even the physical look of the console, the Series X wins between it and the PS5, and easily. The monolithic, mature, and slightly brutalist design is absolutely top notch, and the fact that it's significantly smaller, whilst being a bit more capable, and dead silent even when running intensive games... That's wonderful. The heftiness as well, like both the One X, and Series X feel like $500 machines from how solid and dense they are, to the quality of the plastic itself.

Since the One S really, Microsoft has absolutely NAILED their console designs and engineering. They all look like "grown up" pieces of tech that one isn't ashamed of displaying in their homes, rather than still having that almost "toy-like" quality, which also isn't inherently a bad thing, mind you.

The Series S though? For a piece of technology, is one sexy looking thing.

Oct 25, 2017
So six months in I love actually playing both consoles, but visually jfc the ps5 is still just so bad and the XSX is exceptionally slick. Not sure time will change this one. The Series X may not be the best looking console I've ever owned, the ps5 genuinely may be the worst.

It's a shame too, because the new black controller at least makes me think they could have mitigated it a little.

Last edited:

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
My PS5 sits below the "roofline" of my media cabinet, so it doesn't stand out visually the way it would if it were higher. I think the way the amber/blue lighting bounces off the "wings" is rather neat.

I have the DE, which at least has symmetry going for it. On the whole, however, I think it's ridiculous-looking - it gives up any attempt in practicality of placement in a living space in the pursuit of being "eye-catching." The disc version compounds that with the addition of a disc slot that absolutely looks grafted on.

Jan 3, 2018
PS5 is truly ugly, but the "ugliest console ever" has me thinking back to the 90s and earlier. There were some really hideous designs if you go back. Gamecube is probably the ugliest from a major player, IMHO.

This is uglier than PS5?

6dJf5KF.jpg

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
The Series X is really a marvel, but I also like the ps5 digital edition. I think it is cool with the V design. The disc version however is ugly.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
PS5 digital edition should be getting more votes, but I assume it's because people haven't seen them in person. You get rid of that weird ass bump and the PS5 design works.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
The Series X looks better, though I think it looks terrible when horizontal. Standing up I think it looks pretty great, though. Plus it's just an engineering marvel compared to the PS5.

I actually think the PS5 would look amazing if it was half to 3/4s the size and had matte black in the middle instead of glossy.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I think at least from a hardware engineering standpoint it's inarguable: the Series has more power (not that it has been shown), in a smaller form factor that makes less noise.

In terms of aesthetics I think the Series X looks better than either PS5 but I don't think the PS5 looks as bad as a lot of people think. I think the PS5 look would be a lot better if it wasn't white though.

Mar 7, 2020
Canada
Series X, easily... understated & premium with impeccable design both inside and out, in my opinion... it just melts in with my room decor, superbly.

I love my PS5 too but that thing will remain hidden behind my TV for this entire generation. When I look at the room, it's like someone invited the PS5 to a black tie event and it showed up thinking it was a costume party... lol.

Real talk, though, the Series S I have upstairs is the real champ. Everytime I walk passed it, it blows my mind and I run my hand over it to make sure it's a real device.

Matthias

alt account
Banned
Mar 10, 2021
I'll assume that any vote for PS5 was done "ironically". Literally locks like a student project.

Stone Dudeman

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 actually fits in my entertainment unit, whilst my Series X doesn't, so I guess the PS5 wins by default, even though I'm not that keen on the design of either.
I've seen a couple people say this now, and I'm curious about how that works? AFAIK the SX is smaller than the PS5 in every dimension.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the XSX. There's nothing special about since it's just a rectangular box, but it's unobtrusive. My PS5 is just ginormous and barely fits in the entertainment center. I have a feeling it's going to elicit a lot of "what the fuck am I looking at" from future generations looking back, kind of like I do looking at photos my parents took back in the 70's.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Series X easily, I actually don't mind the Ps5 design but I just love the all black sleekness of the X. My only wish is that the power button would light up green instead of white.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm lucky my wife hasn't tossed out my PS5, as it's ugly enough to throw off her entire living room flow (as I've been told several times)).

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Stunned at the poll results right now. We regularly joke about how sad the Series X looks under our TV compared to the PS5 nearby. It seriously looks like an old PC tower we used to have, albeit smaller. Don't get me wrong — I'm impressed so much power is packed in there. But it's so stylistically dwarfed by the godly PS5 spaceship.

I'm extra surprised at the results too b/c I thought Era generally liked over-the-top style and design in hardware/peripherals. The gaudy red, blue, yellow, white, etc. Controllers and hardware routinely win in poll threads over legends like the PS4 hardware and the Dual Shock line of controllers (which are best in all-black, imo).

So weird.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
i dont have a series x yet, only a PS5, but its XSX. It's minimal but unoffensive at least, the PS5 is just straight up ugly

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunately, I do gotta say that the PS5 looks terrible in my living room. I've had multiple people comment on it lol.

Series X wins this one simply because it isn't a total eye sore.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've seen a couple people say this now, and I'm curious about how that works? AFAIK the SX is smaller than the PS5 in every dimension.

Definitely not in every dimension. It's the height of the systems whilst laying horizontally. The Series X may be smaller in total area, but its size is actually much more impractical for many traditional entertainment units, especially homely wooden ones which often have narrower openings.

EnMwOKNW4AE66JC.jpg

20201110-230725-01-picsay.jpg

Last edited:

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
The PS5 is the ugliest, but at least they tried to make it interesting. The Series X is just a boring black rectangle lmao

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 is one of the ugliest consoles I've owned. Overly designed and I constantly hear the click every few seconds (coil whine?).

XSX is a smaller, minimal design. And it's dead silent. Pretty easy choice.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I like the series X better even though it's not all that interesting. I was never fond of the ps5 design and I try my best to hide it from view in my entertainment stand.