• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
I believe he means how is profitable for Sony when all the added content remains free.

Oh I got it now.

Well, I hope the sales money are enough to keep it this way until the next game, but I personally wouldn't mind pay for new content. The game was built around quality over quantity, and that's a thing I appreciate.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
More than 5 million players participated in the FIA championship? That is crazy.

I have many, many hours in the game and I haven't participated as like many others I believe.

Really interested to see some sales numbers.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
5 mill sales is very impressive.

5 mill participants in the championship sounds nuts.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
More than 5 million players participated in the FIA championship? That is crazy.

I have many, many hours in the game and I haven't participated as like many others I believe.

Really interested to see some sales numbers.

Me too. Because of the time of the events I couldn't participate.

The sales must be very impressive if > 5 million players was only the championship number.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I believe he means how is profitable for Sony when all the added content remains free.

I feel like most of the added content we've had so far is just stuff that would've normally been in a GT at launch. It was super barebones when it launched. Still has a pretty limited number of tracks. I bet that budget stretched. Not like we've had huge free expansions that stretch it beyond what a GT game usually has.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good number when you consider the poor reception at launch. I really think Sony did a poor job launching the game, it was treated like a side project instead of a premier game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's a good number when you consider the poor reception at launch. I really think Sony did a poor job launching the game, it was treated like a side project instead of a premier game.

They've definitely done a fantastic job at turning the tide though. Game is well liked now I'd say after a very meh launch.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Almost as if the initial purchase cost of a non F2P game is enough to cover the support for at least few months down the line, despite what other publishers want you to believe.

You say this like it wouldn't depend on how many initial purchases there are... or that most games sell like a Gran Turismo.

(Or how much content is included at launch in the first place)

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
You say this like it wouldn't depend on how many initial purchases there are... or that most games sell like a Gran Turismo.

(Or how much content is included at launch in the first place)

Most games with predatory monetization sell way more than current Gran Turismo games, on multiple platforms.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
Quoting myself from the other topic.

I just bought a G29 DF and a driving seat and am thinking of getting GT Sport too. How is the career/campaign mode at this point? Is it still bare bones?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Good to see GT Sport do well, despite a lot of hate before launch, just because it dared to do things different. The free monthly updates, to add more content into the game, have been great too.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Most games with predatory monetization sell way more than current Gran Turismo games, on multiple platforms.

Even under that consideration, there's still a ton of variables that prevent taking on case and applying it broadly. A few such of them would be:

- Gran Turismo is first party, whilst third-party games generally incur a 30% tax on each platform they hit.
- Gran Turismo is pretty much as close as you get to assured success, whereas even something like Destiny had the potential to become the next Evolve.
- Based on prior games, Gran Turismo could have effectively shipped with much of the content that we've seen post-launch, and if it had it may have used up the same resources we're currently seeing providing the post-launch content.
- Gran Turismo is likely to be an evergreen title, so a year from launch notable quantities of the game will still probably be sold.
- Polyphony at ~150 employees probably doesn't need to sell as much copies of GT as for example Ubisoft with a 1000-man Assassin's Creed would to balance the books.

And so on.

Don't get me wrong, there are likely a decent number of GaaS titles that would still be fine if they provided at least some of their post-launch content without charging for it, but I don't think (especially considering all the closures last generation) that it's safe to just assume they're just all looking at free money and that the books would all balance regardless.

Some of this reasoning also goes for a bunch of other titles with free post-launch content (Sea of Thieves. Splatoon, etc).

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quoting myself from the other topic.

I just bought a G29 DF and a driving seat and am thinking of getting GT Sport too. How is the career/campaign mode at this point? Is it still bare bones?

Probably up to a similar amount of events in the single player and the AI is the best it's been, but it doesn't have tuning upgrades for vehicles.

But honestly, I can't imagine how good the online races would feel with a racing seat and wheel, the online mode is really well organised and really good.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Oh I got it now.

Well, I hope the sales money are enough to keep it this way until the next game, but I personally wouldn't mind pay for new content. The game was built around quality over quantity, and that's a thing I appreciate.
Selling copies and maintaining support to continue selling more copies

Gt games typically have long legs and reliable sales based on name, fans, and the series consistent high production quality

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Probably up to a similar amount of events in the single player and the AI is the best it's been, but it doesn't have tuning upgrades for vehicles.

But honestly, I can't imagine how good the online races would feel with a racing seat and wheel, the online mode is really well organised and really good.
It has tuning upgrades for vehicles.

You can make a 600HP car go over 900HP like previous GTs.

It probably has more tunning options than previous GTs... it has a lot to mess up.

It was the most polished GT game ever released... they treated it like a premier project.

No rush, no issues, no inconsistencies, etc the game has launch in a perfect state when previous games always have big issues st launch.

Last edited:

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
- Gran Turismo is first party, whilst third-party games generally incur a 30% tax on each platform they hit.

Well the closest competitor to GT is also a first party game and it is up to its eyeballs in multiple season passes, deluxe/ultimate editions and in-game monetization.

- Gran Turismo is pretty much as close as you get to assured success, whereas even something like Destiny had the potential to become the next Evolve.

This is true, but assured IP gives you even bigger incentive to nickel n dime your install base.

- Based on prior games, Gran Turismo could have effectively shipped with much of the content that we've seen post-launch, and if it had it may have used up the same resources we're currently seeing providing the post-launch content.

Yeah but that has never stopped publishers from selling you remaining pieces for a price. PD not doing that is definitely not because they're apologizing for lesser content.

- Polyphony at ~150 employees probably doesn't need to sell as much copies of GT as for example Ubisoft with a 1000-man Assassin's Creed would to balance the books.

That's on Ubisoft though. 'We used more people to do this job than other company so we should get paid more' is never a good excuse.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't realise this was 5m+ for the FIA championships. That's far more impressive.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
It has tuning upgrades for vehicles.

You can make a 600HP car go over 900HP like previous GTs.

It probably has more tunning options than previous GTs... it has a lot to mess up.

It was the most polished GT game ever released... they treated it like a premier project.

No rush, no issues, no inconsistencies, etc the game has launch in a perfect state when previous games always have big issues st launch.
I always have to laugh at those saying it has no tuning options. This is actually impressive. I didn't even participate in the FIA races and I know many others who did not either.

I can't wait for year one numbers. This reminds me of GT5. After the first NPD the trolls were out in FULL force claiming it has lost its brand power and they'd be surprised if it does half of what GT4 did. Look at GT5 now, second best selling GT game yet.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest we dont know yet it good either way though.
Well I think that the tweet from the official Twitter account is pretty clear that is just for the FIA championship.

I find it hard to believe also because I estimate that many GT Sport players haven't participated in the FIA championship.

I would guess at least 35%. And I will not be surprised if it is more than 50%.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Well the closest competitor to GT is also a first party game and it is up to its eyeballs in multiple season passes, deluxe/ultimate editions and in-game monetization.

Assuming we're talking about Forza here, you could also argue that it launched with more content than GTS has currently, whilst historically having nowhere near the initial sales. It has more frequent releases somewhat balancing that out, however a single GT will outsell the Forza releases over the same time period, and Turn 10 contracts a large number of people. Basically, there's again a whole bunch of variables at play making one case not really applicable to the other. Forza could well be a money-losing IP without post-launch revenue.

This is true, but assured IP gives you even bigger incentive to nickel n dime your install base.

Sure, but that's not relevant to the point on whether or not free post-launch development is feasible.

Yeah but that has never stopped publishers from selling you remaining pieces for a price. PD not doing that is definitely not because they're apologizing for lesser content.

It depends really. GTS is very much a case where there was significant criticisms of the game lacking content that was expected to be there in the base product, and much of the added content reflects that of which was previously expected. This actually is a rather common theme across many of the games that see free conten post-launch. Sea of Thieves saw complaints that it was lacking content, and so much of what is being added is at no extra cost. Splatoon saw complaints of being lacking in content, and similarly saw additional content added for free, bringing it more in-line with what people expected it to have at launch.

Even in cases where a game is charging for other post-launch content, there are often free additions made where base-content is deemed lacking. Forza Motorsport 5 adding Nurburgring, Street Fighter V adding more singleplayer content for free, Halo 5's added game modes and maps, Driveclub's weather and tracks, etc. Whilst it does sound negative, "apologising for lesser content" is pretty much what many of these titles are effectively doing, and is why announcements of such updates very frequently (and was also the case with GTS) cite hearing "player feedaback" in regards to content.

That's on Ubisoft though. 'We used more people to do this job than other company so we should get paid more' is never a good excuse.

Well, if that's what's required to create the product, then it is what it is. It's actually an excuse that we largely do accept as standard, but more often when the difference is more readily visible to us (indies and remasters for example).

If GTS had launched with all the content that it'll see added for free post-launch, and then charged for extra in the coming months, would you have considered it to have been a worse valued product as a result? Because that feels like logical conclusion to the argument you're making... that no matter how many resources you expend to make the original game, it would have been preferable to have just offered some of that post-launch instead.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
I always have to laugh at those saying it has no tuning options.
It is like somebody wrote that, some others read and now they think it true lol

The only difference I can see it is that you instead to buy a new engine to boost HP you now buy a new level to boost HP.

It even has the same tree engine/level options to buy lol

Same for weight control.

But maybe the game telling you are buying q new engine instead to only tell you are increasing the HP is more "tunning" for some players when the result is exactly the same.

All others tunning aspects are there too like suspension, transmissions, etc it just opened to everybody mess without need to buy it like previous games.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is like somebody wrote that, some others read and now they think it true lol

The only difference I can see it is that you instead to buy a new engine to boost HP you now buy a new level to boost HP.

It even has the same tree engine/level options to buy lol

Same for weight control.

But maybe the game telling you are buying q new engine instead to only tell you are increasing the HP is more "tunning" for some players when the result is exactly the same.

All others tunning aspects are there too like suspension, transmissions, etc it just opened to everybody mess without need to buy it like previous games.

But that's part of communicating reward and upgrade systems, so yes, whilst the end result is largely the same, the visual aspect of the upgrades menu, with images of the different parts, engines, turbos and all the rest, makes a tangible difference.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
It depends really. GTS is very much a case where there was significant criticisms of the game lacking content that was expected to be there in the base product, and much of the added content reflects that of which was previously expected. This actually is a rather common theme across many of the games that see free conten post-launch. Sea of Thieves saw complaints that it was lacking content, and so much of what is being added is at no extra cost. Splatoon saw complaints of being lacking in content, and similarly saw additional content added for free, bringing it more in-line with what people expected it to have at launch.

Even in cases where a game is charging for other post-launch content, there are often free additions made where base-content is deemed lacking. Forza Motorsport 5 adding Nurburgring, Street Fighter V adding more singleplayer content for free, Halo 5's added game modes and maps, Driveclub's weather and tracks, etc. Whilst it does sound negative, "apologising for lesser content" is pretty much what many of these titles are effectively doing, and is why announcements of such updates very frequently (and was also the case with GTS) cite hearing "player feedaback" in regards to content.
Yeah compared to PS3 GT games it was lacking but that's because those games were padded with filler left over from the PS2. Historically GTS lines up with the first GT of the gen. GT1 was 150ish cars and GT3 was around 170. GT5 only had 200 premiums. GT6 had 400 premiums after DLC which is where GTS will probably be at in a few years.

Just wish they'd bring back GT6's track editor!

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
If this is the case, i may have to revist it.
If what is the case? That the online population is very healthy? Personally I haven't experienced a Sport mode race or FIA championship race yet that wasn't full or full minus 1 or 2 people and that is with racing at all times of the day in EU region across 368 sport mode races.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
If what is the case? That the online population is very healthy? Personally I haven't experienced a Sport mode race or FIA championship race yet that wasn't full or full minus 1 or 2 people and that is with racing at all times of the day in EU region across 368 sport mode races.

Yes, and getting rid of griefers and assholes which is quite the accomplishment. I'm a low tier racer so I always get grouped with people who enjoy crashing into me.

I bought it near launch but exchanged it soon afterwards because I fear change, lol.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Yes, and getting rid of griefers and assholes which is quite the accomplishment. I'm a low tier racer so I always get grouped with people who enjoy crashing into me.

I bought it near launch but exchanged it soon afterwards because I fear change, lol.
There are much less crash happy people still playing today that's for sure and of course it helps if you can get to A or especially to S in Sportsmanship Rating.

Also I feel participating in the FIA online races that only just a month ago went from test seasons to starting the official seasons have even cleaner racing than the normal sport races. I guess the crash happy people don't have the patience for a qualifying session before each of those FIA races ;)

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Just one time I stuffed my sportsmanship rating because I was really mad at a someone.

It was worth it fuck that guy. :<

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Oh I got it now.

There's a couple of ways to look at this.

1. They need to build the GT audience on PS4 after a late start and misfiring efforts on PS3.

2. New content will be futureproofed (I know we've heard that before) for PS5.

3. A new GT released in the launch window of PS5 would be a major boost for Sony and the franchise. They can transistion into paid content - or even a subscription service - once they deliver a packed GT7 (or GT Sport 2).

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a wheel for this game which cost more than the PS4. Lol. It was worth it though. It was slow at the beginning but each new update make it one of my favourite racing game ever.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Edited the title to reflect it's 5 million total players.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to log in again. I kind of dropped off playing late winter / early spring and just haven't had the time to get back into the daily 20 minutes or so of racing.

Really liked they added a proper single player mode and a ton of new cars.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'd imagine a fresh marketing push and update in time with ps5 is in the cards.

mango.

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spec. 2 in November, bundling and X-Mas remarketing/sales once first official championships are done should push sales to 5mi+.
But by all the data gatherers out there, GT seems to be maintaining a steady stream of new players, be it by second-hand, bundles or big sales.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So it's probably sold around 3.75 million units to 4 million? Does that sound about right. Not too bad I suppose. Seems a little low for the only gt this is gen.