• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fucking hate it when people say "stick to x"

Art is always a reflection of the creator's thoughts. If you want to play something brainless, shut up and stick to pong.
Dude but pong was a commentary on how politicians are always kicking the can down the road on important environmental and social reforms.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
I'm just happy he's trying something new or at least doing what he wants. I like that Sony is giving him that freedom. The story not taking a backseat this time around is great to hear! Don't need to get into specifics about MGSV, I've said enough about that. I really hope the game delivers!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
MGSV has a shit ton of cutscenes, they're just spread out over many hours of gameplay and/or are optional.

It doesn't actually. The total runtime of actual cutscenes is just over 3 hours:

Meanwhile, MGS1 had a total of 4 hours of cutscenes, including essential codec calls. MGS2 is 5 hours and 21 minutes. MGS3 is 4 hours and 21 minutes. And, MGS4: The Movie is an expected 7 hours and 41 minutes. Thus, MGSV being the largest and longest game yet having the shortest amount of cutscenes is quite amazing.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Despite all the comments about not knowing what is happening, I just rewatched the release date trailer and it actually seems pretty clear:

Just as TLOU and other games rotate through gameplay style, we'll move between walking/traversal, flashbacks to war/shooter levels, item management, cutscenes, and stealth sections. Seems pretty clear now, just with more traversal focus than most games.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Meanwhile, MGS1 had a total of 4 hours of cutscenes, including essential codec calls. MGS2 is 5 hours and 21 minutes. MGS3 is 4 hours and 21 minutes. And, MGS4: The Movie is an expected 7 hours and 41 minutes. Thus, MGSV being the largest and longest game yet having the shortest amount of cutscenes is quite amazing.
MGS1 doesn't have 4 hours of cutscenes, not without codec conversations(same for the others, except MGS4), and if you're counting those, might as well count MGSV's tapes and codec conversations that goes on without interrupting the gameplay.

Also, that 3 hours video is missing tones of cutscenes.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm not mistaken we've seen more of cutscene cinematics from DS than any of the MGSV trailers combined.

It definitely feels that way.

I consider MGSV a masterpiece and i'm hopeful we'll get long, uninterrupted gameplay in Death Stranding too, but i'm really glad we're getting more cutscenes.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't actually. The total runtime of actual cutscenes is just over 3 hours:

That video doesn't have anything from chapter 2.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Some of fondest memories this gen are from skating around in Dwalker zapping people doing side ops. Side ops were at face value terrible wastes of time, but the tools given made them fun. Mans a genus. Day 1 on Death Stranding.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

jesus, lmao

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel that it's OK to criticise what Kojima's games are if you don't like them. Fair enough. But I just don't get people hating on him. They call him pretentious- yet post on a videogame forum about games. He's just talking about his craft. Also sometimes it's translated stuff that comes off a bit more intense (It is my destiny).

But like... at least he's trying something new! Like really new, in the AAA space. at the moment we are just getting same old GaaS, AAA sequels, AA titles, or indie titles that push boundaries but don't have huge budgets.

Even if this fails I want to see what he's done.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
One of the main themes of the game is going around the country to isolated pockets of people who hate/fear people who are different from them and "establishing connections" with them. It really does feel like a poorly-thought-out "if you want the Nazi to stop being a Nazi, just hug the Nazi" argument thus far.

Maybe he's going to swerve it, but the way it's presented right now is very naive and stupid.
I do think the real world could benefit from people of different groups trying to engage each other. Yes, there are white supremacists and other bigots who are simply beyond reason. But not everyone on the other side is a Nazi. Some people follow monsters like Trump out of ignorance and fear. They're fearful of things they don't understand, and they don't understand because there's no connection.

I have friends and family of wildly different political viewpoints from myself. I'm a firm believer that there can still be a common bond between such people. Or at least, I hope there can be one, because we're screwed as a society if this fragmentation continues.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017

I feel like its necessary to include tapes as well. Even still I personally put over 100 hours getting the platinum. The game isnt perfect by any means but damn good considering the conditions he finished it in and the fact it released on 5 systems.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
MGS1 doesn't have 4 hours of cutscenes, not without codec conversations(same for the others, except MGS4), and if you're counting those, might as well count MGSV's tapes and codec conversations that goes on without interrupting the gameplay.

Also, that 3 hours video is missing tones of cutscenes.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Twist of the game is that everyone in America is sitting in pods on their VR devices, not willing to come out of their shell. Death Stranding is a VR Afterlife Simulator within the game, with genes and memes and scissors. 69.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018

Did you even skim through the video? Not only does it have codec conversations, it also has gameplay portions!

Similar MGSV video is still longer while missing tapes and gameplay codec conversations and showing way less gameplay between cutscenes.

That ends up about as long as MGS2, with more actual cut-scenes since MGS2 have a lot of codec conversations. So as I said, only MGS4 has more cutscenes than V. And once you start counting tapes conversations, I'm not sure if even MGS4 can keep up.

Main difference is that those cutscenes are spread out between 12 to 18 hours in previous MGS games, and about more than 40 hours in MGSV, add that we know the story wasn't finished properly with a lot of contents being cut, it's easy to feel like it had less than the other games.

Last edited:

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Finally some hard confirmation that story is the focus this time. It was obvious looking at what the player does in the game but still, it's good to know.

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
I actually quite like his philosophy behind this game this time around. I got it in MGS1/2, but his themes for mgs 4/5 totally lost me. You know, that meme gene scene thing.

Regardless, they never get in the way of his games' stories or characters so no big deal.

God forbid a game creator tries to build his games story upon something more.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like his confidence. This will be a great game, I feel it.

There's SO much riding on this.

- his first game after the split with Konami
- his first non-Metal Gear game in ages
- first game from his brand new studio
- Sony will be scrutinising the sales/critical feedback
- he'll want to impress all his fans/friends after all this build up

Kojima knows what's at stake here, he's gonna knock it outta the park.