Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
It's happening! Coming in May according to Reddit.

ku2o32j7xve61.jpg

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
any idea what it would take for disney to get off its ass and release 4K versions of its now incredibly vast and deep back catalogue, especially the 20th fox stuff?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Saw a giant Shrek and didn't see the other announcement. Hope they only upgrade the current soundmix to Atmos/DTS:X and leave it alone beyond that. The current mix is bloody brilliant! The old blu-ray also still looks really good, so hopefully this will be a showcase for the film. I'm fucking pumped!

David Addison

Oct 28, 2017
Let's not forget today's biggest Blu-ray announcement:
Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
So i watched Blade last night.

The good news, if you're a fan of this movie it looks and sounds great.

The bad news, if like me you haven't seen this movie since you were like 13, the special effects, CGI or otherwise don't hold up at all. Wesley Snipes is flat as fuck and has no chemistry with the dr hematologist girl. Donald Logue is annoying af and the actor who plays Deacon Frost isn't good enough to carry a movie as a villain.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the chances of the whole trilogy being released in UHD are still pretty slim. But The Good the Bad and the Ugly in 4k is fucking hype. I hope the transfer is great

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, the OG Mad Max was not good at all lol.

I respect it for being a concept piece for the great things Miller would later achieve, but it's so flat as a film. Kinda regret buying the 4K disc on sale. Video quality was quite sharp at least.

Day 1 for Road Warrior though

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Have there been any rumors about a UHD release of Heat? I've been dying to rewatch it but I know my wife won't want to watch it twice in short-ish succession, so I'm trying to plan accordingly!

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I've always only used my consoles as movie players (PS5 for UHD now), but I'm wondering what kind of benefits I can expect with a dedicated player. I've always thought that I'd get a region-free player eventually since there's a ton of international releases I don't have access to.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I've always only used my consoles as movie players (PS5 for UHD now), but I'm wondering what kind of benefits I can expect with a dedicated player. I've always thought that I'd get a region-free player eventually since there's a ton of international releases I don't have access to.
This video is a good recap for you.
youtu.be

PS5 vs Xbox Series X 4K Blu-ray Player Comparison

We compare the 4K Blu-ray player on the Sony PS5 vs the Xbox Series X. Thanks to Surfshark VPN for sponsoring this video... go to https://surfshark.deals/HDT...

CoachKevin

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question for the community here.

I gave up on my Series X as a 4k BR Player and got a Panasonic DP-UB420 on sale for $199. Seems like a great player, with the only con being it doesn't support Dolby-Vision. My tv is a 65" LG CX and I have about 60 4k Blu Rays. I guess my question is, is it really worth $200 more to have the Dolby-Vision support on the UB820 for the LG CX? It seems they share the same HDR Optimizer Chip/Tech?

Thanks!

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
I guess my question is, is it really worth $200 more to have the Dolby-Vision support on the UB820 for the LG CX? It seems they share the same HDR Optimizer Chip/Tech?

Thanks!
Honestly no. I don't think the leap from HDR10 to DV is that amazing. I wouldn't drop an extra $200 just for that feature. I don't think most people could tell the difference in a blind A/B test.

CoachKevin

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly no. I don't think the leap from HDR10 to DV is that amazing. I wouldn't drop an extra $200 just for that feature. I don't think most people could tell the difference in a blind A/B test.

Thanks! Maybe best to put that $200 into more movies or upgrading the cheap Visio soundbar I have?

with that being said, any recommendations for a great soundbar under $300?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I'm about to start on watching Star Trek Discovery on Netflix, but I really wanted to watch this in higher quality than streamed 1080p. Does anyone know why there aren't any 4K bluray of Star Trek Discovery? Any news or rumors about it?

Vashetti

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm about to start on watching Star Trek Discovery on Netflix, but I really wanted to watch this in higher quality than streamed 1080p. Does anyone know why there aren't any 4K bluray of Star Trek Discovery? Any news or rumors about it?
The only TV shows other than nature documentaries on 4K Blu-ray are Game of Thrones and Westworld, presumably studios don't see a massive market for it.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
The only TV shows other than nature documentaries on 4K Blu-ray are Game of Thrones and Westworld, presumably studios don't see a massive market for it.

:/

Guess I'll order the bluray of Discovery, but then it won't have HDR. Anyone know if a bluray is preferable to a 1080p stream w/ Dolby Vision?

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
So I picked up the Apocalypse Now Final Cut disc and am cruising along watching the 4K version on my PS5 and then the audio cuts out... Turns out, I'm not the only one who has had this happen!

Anyone else experience this?

Westonian

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate it. It happens for me right at the same moment shown in this video.
Played it on the PS5 and the audio shows as TrueHD 7.1 and it drops out at 1:59

Played it on my Oppo and it shows as Atmos and plays fine.

So probably an issue with how the PS5 handles the Atmos wrapper.

Decided to test it again on the PS5 with the system audio changed from PCM to Dolby bitstream and there was no change. Same drop out issue.

This was honestly the first time I've played a movie on the PS5 and I don't know how anyone can stand it. It takes ages longer than my Oppo to load, and the disc reading noise is really loud.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018

Decided to test it again on the PS5 with the system audio changed from PCM to Dolby bitstream and there was no change. Same drop out issue.

This was honestly the first time I've played a movie on the PS5 and I don't know how anyone can stand it. It takes ages longer than my Oppo to load, and the disc reading noise is really loud.

Huh, so it seems to be some weird compatibility issue? It's weird it works for the first half of the movie and not the second.

Vashetti

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You should leave the PS5 system audio set to LPCM. 4K/Blu-ray audio is handled separately, bring up Options when playing a disc and you'll be presented with a separate set, where you should set Noise Reduction to 0, and audio to Bitstream.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
any like RSS feed or twitter accounts that announces new 4k releases? I remember there used to be someone here who would do a weekly new release thread for blu-rays, but I haven't seen it in a while.