Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, no. That is factually wrong. Games For Windows Live created an online profile by default and you couldn't play games without an internet connection. You had to follow an obscure process involving multiple submenus and a small link at the bottom of a help page to be able to create a local (offline) profile.
I remember simply scrolling to the bottom of the EULA to create an offline account.

Good luck creating an offline account on Steam with no internet connection.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But how is Finland considered developing country, where base price is 40% more than in US? and 5% payment fee on top of that makes it almost 50% more than.

PZG1DoQ.png

It's just his shitty excuse.
What is this garbage? You need to pay almost 6 Euros in fees if you want to buy a game from EGS? You can buy some great games for 6 Euros on Steam, especially during sales period.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is this garbage? You need to pay almost 6 Euros in fees if you want to buy a game from EGS? You can buy some great games for 6 Euros on Steam, especially during sales period.
Depends on the payment processor.

Unlike Steam, the Epic Game Store puts payment processing costs onto customers for quite a large number of payment processors.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
This is false.
He said that happens in some developing countries where regional pricing has driven the cost of the game so low that the 12% cut is leaving very thin razor margins.

In the developed countries that make up the bulk of game purchases, Theyve gone on record to say 12% cut still yield quite a decent amount of profit for them.

So in those developing countries, with generally much weaker currencies, should pay extra, because a billion dollar company doesn't make enough money from them?

and thats a proper EXCUSE? The poorest of the poorest nations should pay more because Epic can't make enough money from them?

Suprisingly there is little support by Epic Defenders here to not overcharge poor countries.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the payment processor.

Unlike Steam, the Epic Game Store puts payment processing costs onto customers for quite a large number of payment processors.
So just another piece of proof that 12%/88% business model is unsustainable. Once masses flock to EGS and try to buy the latest AAA title they will LOVE these excessive hidden fees.

Right now EGS is running on good will of ill informed and confused faux competition mongers. Let's see how EGS performs in real life with real users come February 15th.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, to the people saying "review bombing is awful especially when people use reviews for tech aspects".
https://twitter.com/galyonkin/status/1092174967402307587

To be clear - opt-in review pages aren't the solution to review bombing. Almost all future sub-systems at Epic Games store are opt-in, including tickets for support, achievements, unlocks, etc.

That's right. Not only there's no boards to voice your technical woes, not only they aim to make reviews opt-in... but freaking TICKETS FOR SUPPORT IS OPT-IN.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
So just another piece of proof that 12%/88% business model is unsustainable. Once masses flock to EGS and try to buy the latest AAA title they will LOVE these excessive hidden fees.

Right now EGS is running on good will of ill informed and confused faux competition mongers. Let's see how EGS performs in real life with real users come February 15th.
It's not one or the the other. 30% is excessive 12% isn't sustainable. 18-20% is fair for a store front running scripts and software that isn't anything unique.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
It's not one or the the other. 30% is excessive 12% isn't sustainable. 18-20% is fair for a store front running scripts and software that isn't anything unique.
I believe I asked you to explain why you think MS/Sony's 30% cut is justified (despite them having paid online and lesser storefront features) but Valve's 30% cut would be "excessive". Do you want to elaborate?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By the way, to the people saying "review bombing is awful especially when people use reviews for tech aspects".

That's right. Not only there's no boards to voice your technical woes, not only they aim to make reviews opt-in... but freaking TICKETS FOR SUPPORT IS OPT-IN.
jesus fucking christ
all this time they were touting "oh just use the ticket system if you have a technical issue"
and even that is fucking opt-in? jesus christ what a fucking disaster of a store.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
jesus fucking christ
all this time they were touting "oh just use the ticket system if you have a technical issue"
and even that is fucking opt-in? jesus christ what a fucking disaster of a store.

This is why Steam needs to remove any timed exclusive game from their store. Let Epic users get a ticket to solve their problems.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
People arguing in favor of devs getting a smaller cut of the sales for the game they made is truly bewildering.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
My post wasn't prompted by yours, although I can certainly see why it might have seemed that way! I was reading through earlier pages of the thread and forgot I wasn't on the most recent one.
Nah I didn't actually think you were referring to me. But I'm just puzzled as to what you mean because I haven't really seen that. You should probably quote posts who actually said that and respond to them, next time, because it just kind of looks like a strawman right now.

svacina

Oct 25, 2017
My post wasn't prompted by yours, although I can certainly see why it might have seemed that way! I was reading through earlier pages of the thread and forgot I wasn't on the most recent one.
To be honest, I don't care what share of the sales price the devs get, I am not a shareholder. I care about what I get and at what price. Epic does not really wow me on those fronts.

jesus fucking christ
Sergey says they will require the devs to provide some sort of way to contact them for technical issues when they opt out of the in-built ticketing system.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

This thread is huge but is there really a majority saying developers should make less? It's a pain to navigate and look back all these pages.

There are many reasons as a consumer to not like the epic games store, which has been documented countless times. Not liking the Epic Games Store or the actions Deep Silver and Epic made isn't the same as saying people wouldn't want developers to make more.

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
I think 4A need to shut up for a while and maybe just focus on not releasing a broken mess of a game this time.
None of the Metro games have been a broken mess, why would they start now? Sure, base 2033 wasn't the most optimised but mess is a huge stretch, never mind broken.

Embarrassing post and no wonder 4A devs are starting to tilt.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This isn't all that ridiculous though? Not compared to Steam anyway. Steam doesn't have the option to send support tickets to developers at all. If you click on "support" on a game's page in your library, it gets you to an FAQ. If your answer is not in there you can click on a "contact game support" button, however this only gets you a page saying "We're sorry to hear you are having trouble with this game" with links to the websites of the publisher or video game. Which don't even necessarily send you to the support website.

Having an opt-in ticket support system is actually more than what Steam offers when it comes to letting you contact the developers.

Last edited:

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
This.... isn't all that ridiculous though? Not compared to Steam anyway. Steam doesn't have the option to send support tickets to developers at all. If you click on "support" on a game's page in your library, it gets you to an FAQ. If your answer is not in there you can click on a "contact game support" button, however this only gets you a page saying "We're sorry to hear you are having trouble with this game" with links to the websites of the publisher or video game. Which don't even necessarily send you to the support website.

Having an opt-in ticket support system is actually more than what Steam offers when it comes to letting you contact the developers.

I mean you know Steam has forums that devs regularly post in, right? Epic doesn't.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
This.... isn't all that ridiculous though? Not compared to Steam anyway. Steam doesn't have the option to send support tickets to developers at all. If you click on "support" on a game's page in your library, it gets you to an FAQ. If your answer is not in there you can click on a "contact game support" button, however this only gets you a page saying "We're sorry to hear you are having trouble with this game" with links to the websites of the publisher or video game. Which don't even necessarily send you to the support website.

This is technically true, but it's important to understand that this revelation comes within context of having opt-in reviews. In steam, consumer has power in form of a review. However small that is, if there's a broad issue, this quickly adds up and even makes headlines.

On Epic Games you easily end up without even that.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't all that ridiculous though? Not compared to Steam anyway. Steam doesn't have the option to send support tickets to developers at all. If you click on "support" on a game's page in your library, it gets you to an FAQ. If your answer is not in there you can click on a "contact game support" button, however this only gets you a page saying "We're sorry to hear you are having trouble with this game" with links to the websites of the publisher or video game. Which don't even necessarily send you to the support website.

An ticket support system is great. But having it was the way to supposedly making reviews opt-in. It was basically a way to communicate about technical issues but in silence (ticket means others cant see it. A review or a thread though ?). But now, it's also opt-in. Which means in the end, publishers are getting more and more way to offload and silence customers.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An ticket support system is great. But having it was the way to supposedly making reviews opt-in. It was basically a way to communicate about technical issues but in silence (ticket means others cant see it. A review or a thread though ?). But now, it's also opt-in. Which means in the end, publishers are getting more and more way to offload and silence customers.
If it's blatant that they're doing it to "silence" customers, folks have plenty of places to complain about that.

Realistically though, the real reason this is opt-in is probably because a lot of smaller developers don't have the resources to deal with support tickets. For example, it will be impossible for small indie teams to deal with all the support tickets they'd get. Dealing with those is an entire job which they'd need to hire and train people for. And that's not something all indie developers can do. Developers who get a ton of hate and harassment from bigots probably don't want to make use of it either, since that'd just be another way for them to get harassed by.

I imagine big publishers who can do that will generally make use of it, or give a link where people can send messages to their customer support. If they don't and it's blatantly done to "silence" customers, folks have plenty of options to start a shitstorm about that. They've clearly found plenty already. Given that I don't think there's ever been a case of publishers shutting down their customer support to do this though, I doubt it'll happen.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
If it's blatant that they're doing it to "silence" customers, folks have plenty of places to complain about that.

Realistically though, the real reason this is opt-in is probably because a lot of smaller developers don't have the resources to deal with support tickets. For example, it will be impossible for small indie teams to deal with all the support tickets they'd get. Dealing with those is an entire job which they'd need to hire and train people for. And that's not something all indie developers can do. Developers who get a ton of hate and harassment from bigots probably don't want to make use of it either, since that'd just be another way for them to get harassed by.

I imagine big publishers who can do that will generally make use of it, or give a link where people can send messages to their customer support. If they don't and it's blatantly done to "silence" customers, folks have plenty of options to start a shitstorm about that. They've clearly found plenty already.

Yes, people have ways to complain. But the further away it is from the store page, the better it is for the devs.

I'll take an exemple with Amazon or Steam: When you see a product page the reviews often tells you what you need to know about the product. And if a product is bad, you know it fast enough whereas without it, you'd need to search on the internet elsewhere in the hope to find an answer.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, people have ways to complain. But the further away it is from the store page, the better it is for the devs.

I'll take an exemple with Amazon or Steam: When you see a product page the reviews often tells you what you need to know about the product. And if a product is bad, you know it fast enough whereas without it, you'd need to search on the internet elsewhere in the hope to find an answer.
We're talking about support tickets, not user reviews or forums.

Nov 8, 2017
Realistically though, the real reason this is opt-in is probably because a lot of smaller developers don't have the resources to deal with support tickets.

I think you have this the other way around - large developers have their own support infrastructure and are less likely to make use of an integrated system, while small developers are more likely to use the integrated one. Unless I've missed something the integrated support on Steam has never been a thing that people have made a fuss about being too hard to manage or w/e.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This support ticket is the reason why the user reviews are opt-in and forums unavailable.
It pretty clearly isn't. I imagine they're opt-in because there have been a ton of cases where people abused user reviews on Steam. No forums I imagine is because without proper moderation, forums can easily become a toxic mess. Again, Steam's forums are a good example of that.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It pretty clearly isn't. I imagine they're opt-in because there have been a ton of cases where people abused user reviews on Steam. No forums I imagine is because without proper moderation, forums can easily become a toxic mess. Again, Steam's forums are a good example of that.

Sergey clearly said so. That reviews were used as a way to complain about technical issues and that instead they wanted to provide a ticket support.
A ticket support is far less vocal than a review or a thread on the storepage.
The ticket system is now opt-in too.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I don't have a PC with windows to check but in Norway a surcharge based on payment type is not legal.
You have to give all customers the same price regardless and it can't be displayed on the receipt if you bake it into the price like VAT.

I see Finland is treated well with a 85€ price + surcharge.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
First thing: Review bombing is a marginal thing in Steam. And in most cases they are due to legitimate concerns (such as when Paradox increased the price of all their DLC).

Second thing: Galy said that they wouldnt allow for reviews focusing on bad performances or bugs and that there would be a ticket system for it.

Third thing: Their solution for forums is pushing the issue to Reddit and Discord, both clearly known for being easy to moderate and totally not toxic (/s).

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for my dumb question, but is this one of the reasons why Valve doesn't expand? They have the money to open another studio but yet instead they seem to mainly focus on expanding steam and offering more tools (and even hiring more people to work on these Steam tools/services) instead of more people to make games.

I would assume that since Valve makes Billions every year that if they really wanted to open up another studio dedicated to only making games they financial could do that but if things went wrong they would have to fire a lot of people or has that already happened? I've heard of people leaving Valve but not of a mass Exodus (sorry for the pun) of people leaving because of layoffs or something like that.

Also I it was funny looking at some of those links (the Kotaku one from 2010) about how Epic felt about PC gaming almost 10 years ago. They did a full 180, it's only now that Valve is making billions that they also want a piece of that action and if devs like 4A don't happen to be in the best position because of what upper management chose then oh well. Epic is not the bad guy here it's customers that don't want to be pushed around by Epic for forcing them to buy from one store only/s
But you know there is nothing wrong with this after all, all the console manufacturers have exclusives as well and Valve is a company that just cares about your money and only that and that's why they have not been adding any new features to Steam at all and that's also why they force you to pay for things like Cloud save the same way that console manufacturers do. And console gamers know all about this which is why there is nothing wrong with them coming here to a mostly PC focused discussion tells us that we are being "pathetic" and then say that this doesn't really matter to them since they are just going to buy it on consoles. (Sorry my attention is not to attack any one or anything but it's just annoying seeing some one mention something that they have no stake in, once again sorry)

This game was going to sell very well on Steam, I'm pretty sure that a lot of people knew this already, well to be more exact a lot of people on Steam knew about this game (not sure the same could be said about people using the EGS). The evidence that I have is the upcoming top wish list category, for over the last year or something Metro Exodus had been in the top 5 wishlist item on there. Meaning that out off all the upcoming games both indie and AAA Metro Exodus was a game that a lot of people bothered to go to the Steam page and hit wishlist (and as crazy as that sounds that does in fact require a bit of effort to do). Had things stayed with how they are on Steam, or if the game released on EGS along side Steam the game would have sold very well (assuming that the game is in fact great, but we do not know this for a fact right now since reviews are not out) and that would have been that but sadly now this has turned into a whole mess where the dev in the end may be the one that loses in all this and it's okay for them to feel frustrated about how this has been spiraling out of control.

Also let's play a very strange game, the rule are simply take a look at the Steam top wishlisted upcoming games and guess which ones EGS will make exclusive. Atomic Heart may possibly be one of those games that EGS snatches up along side stuff like The Last Night. The point I'm trying to make is that all EGS really has to do is look at that list to get an idea of what games they should snatch up.

Was I even planning to pick this game at launch/at all? Well sort of. I am very aware that this game exist and know that Nvidia has promoted it for their RTX cards in the past. I planned to eventually start the Metro game that I have on Steam. Once I heard that this game was going to be exclusive to EGS I decided to pre-order it right away to play it on Steam but after thinking about it some more seeing how it will still be available on Steam one year later, how in low on Cash, and in no real hurry to buy the game.

I can only imagine the type of uproar that Sekiro would cause if Activision announced that it would be exclusive to either (or both??) Epic Game Store and Battlenet. But what different with that game is that it's being published by Fromsoft in Japan and some other company in Asia, also that company in Asia it seems has their own PC launcher that they will also be selling Sekiro on in addition to Steam??

So one of the reasons Gabe keeps Valve a private company is so he has no pressure to grow or expand. He can do whatever he wants.

Yes he could expand , but he decided a long time ago to shift company focus from the traditional game development model to something else. He saw an opportunity.

Steam was not some big business plan. I know people who there at the start and no one knew it would turn into what it has today. Most of the people who were originally on steam left the company ages ago.

At some point steam began making them lots of money while Gabe saw traditional game development required lots of money with limited payoff. Steam required far less investment but was generating massive revenue the company could funnel to other initiatives.

When you look at other companies especially public ones they have immense pressure put on them by board members, shareholders, to not only do well but increase areas in the business by a specific margin. It's not good enough to double revenue, we want it tripled,etc.
I see lots of people saying what Epic was in the past. Companies are not your friends nor can you talk about them like they are people.

Companies will shift their approach and views based on many internal and external factors , sometimes their approach will align with your values, sometimes they won't.

Publishers want their investment back and are not scouring forums to understand what one service offers compared to another for users. You're dealing with people who look at financial statements and forecast risk. Most probably don't even play games that often. Their job is to ensure their company is making the best financial decisions.

My guess is before the game was pulled they weren't very confident in the games performance, maybe weak preorders, maybe the game went over budget and they would prefer to at least garuntee they don't end up in the red.

What many don't get is it's not about potential sales it's about garunteed money in hand preferably before a planned milestone. Potentially the business required the money now not after release for some reason.
publishers have more than one investment usually and often they can affect one another.

All we can do is speculate as we don't know the terms of the deal.
These decisions are usually made by a select few , they trickle down to everyone else who is told to do their job.

Anyone who works at a big company knows this. The majority of the time most employees are cringing at decisions that come down but it is what it is.

Valve can counter offer. It's business, they choose not too. I honestly don't think Gabe would care. His belief is we will focus on doing what we do and gamers,devs,publishers can use our services if they want.

Best way to get back at Epic is ignore them and stop giving them free press. Wishlist the game on steam so they can see all the money they are missing out on and buy it when it releases on your platform of choice. Communicate to the developer you look forward to buying their game when it releases as originally planned. That's it.

As far as why valve leaves up forums because it's good SEO marketing for them. You google and they come up , maybe you can't buy a game there but you're still at their storefront and they look like the mature business partner. Win Win for them.

The real problem is the majority of gamers and game developers can't afford to invest in funding/making our games so now we have a third party ie the business. The ride has just begun.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you have this the other way around - large developers have their own support infrastructure and are less likely to make use of an integrated system, while small developers are more likely to use the integrated one. Unless I've missed something the integrated support on Steam has never been a thing that people have made a fuss about being too hard to manage or w/e.
That'd be because Steam doesn't have a ticket support system that developers and publishers can use, the only one there is goes to Valve. The support for specific games is basically a FAQ and links to the publisher's or developer's websites.

And again: customer support is an entire job. Small developers often won't be able to deal with support tickets. Not without the time spent on those either eating into the time they spend doing their actual job, or them having to do a lot of overtime.

First thing: Review bombing is a marginal thing in Steam. And in most cases they are due to legitimate concerns (such as when Paradox increased the price of all their DLC).

Second thing: Galy said that they wouldnt allow for reviews focusing on bad performances or bugs and that there would be a ticket system for it.

Third thing: Their solution for forums is pushing the issue to Reddit and Discord, both clearly known for being easy to moderate and totally not toxic (/s).
1. Not sure where you're getting "most of the time they are due to legitimate concerns" from. There have been plenty of times where review bombing has come from bigots who are mad because the game represented marginalised folks in some way, or because the developers changed something that was sexist or racist.

2. Then he shouldn't have promised that. Doesn't mean that a support ticket system being opt-in is a bad thing.

3. The thing there is that at least those communities are an option rather than something forced on developers/publishers that they need to deal with. And it's not like Steam's forums have been any better than Discord or Reddit.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
1. Not sure where you're getting "most of the time they are due to legitimate concerns" from. There have been plenty of times where review bombing has come from bigots who are mad because the game represented marginalised folks in some way, or because the developers changed something that was sexist or racist.

"some people have used street protests to engage in rioting and property damage, therefore the solution is to ban all forms of street protest."

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"some people have used street protests to engage in rioting and property damage, therefore the solution is to ban all forms of street protest."
Holy fuck this is a terrible comparison. Just, holy fuck.

I wasn't even saying Epic Store not having user reviews at all is a good thing, just that Steam's review system has been exploited by bigots plenty of times. But even if I was, holy fuck.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Those are the ones that get in the news, and deservedly so. Don't make the mistake of thinking the most notable (and worst, by a mile) examples make up the majority of cases.