Oct 26, 2017
But the Emperor is just a man.
I think it's suggested his visual appearance is just a psychic projection.

Okay, here's one before I turn in for the night.
The Emperor should have euthanized Konrad Curze and Angron when they were discovered due to them being way too unstable and the fact he didn't suggests he did love his sons.
Also, if he didn't kill them despite how fucked up they were, what the hell did the "lost" Primarchs do? It's conformed at least one of them was sanctioned.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I think it's suggested his visual appearance is just a psychic projection.

Okay, here's one before I turn in for the night.
The Emperor should have euthanized Konrad Curze and Angron when they were discovered due to them being way too unstable and the fact he didn't suggests he did love his sons.
Also, if he didn't kill them despite how fucked up they were, what the hell did the "lost" Primarchs do? It's conformed at least one of them was sanctioned.

A man does not throw away his tools if he sees some use in them. The emperor doesn't love anything. He wants humanity as a whole to survive he has no room for love since love is an irrational emotion that doesn't go with his cold calculating behavior.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
1546069223345.png
Now I'm imagining this 15 foot tall dude subtly manipulating the course of human history in various guises great and humble such as "nameless 15 foot tall drifter" and "15 foot tall Alexander the Great".

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
These Adeptus Custodes intrigues me.

Is Watchers of the Throne a good Warhammer book to start with?

There's a really good theory going around in Warhammer 40K circles about the Custodes.

So like, they don't wear armor and have black clothes to honour the fallen emperor, right? And they are all stationed on Holy Terra alongside him, right? Yet they all have literally the best of the best of his equipment with them, and are the strongest warriors of the Imperium, right?

Well, what if they weren't twiddling their thumbs. What if, just under the surface of the palace of the Emperor, there is a massive warp gate or eye or something, constantly spewing daemons and shit due to the proximity of the Emperor, and the Custodes are literally down there, 24/7/365/40k, fighting the shit out of them and risking their lives in glorious battle, and the only ones you actually see at the palace are resting from the constant fight they endure.

I mean, they are literally the best, it makes sense they are doing the hardest job.

It's not official, but it's official in my heart.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
There's a really good theory going around in Warhammer 40K circles about the Custodes.

So like, they don't wear armor and have black clothes to honour the fallen emperor, right? And they are all stationed on Holy Terra alongside him, right? Yet they all have literally the best of the best of his equipment with them, and are the strongest warriors of the Imperium, right?

Well, what if they weren't twiddling their thumbs. What if, just under the surface of the palace of the Emperor, there is a massive warp gate or eye or something, constantly spewing daemons and shit due to the proximity of the Emperor, and the Custodes are literally down there, 24/7/365/40k, fighting the shit out of them and risking their lives in glorious battle, and the only ones you actually see at the palace are resting from the constant fight they endure.

I mean, they are literally the best, it makes sense they are doing the hardest job.

That actually happened when Magnus broke through Emps psychic barrier when the webway project was being worked on.

Ballpoint Ren

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
TTS is my new canon.The first things that comes to my mind when someone talks about Vulkan or the salamanders is "VULKAN LIVES *STOMP STOMP*"

And its a pretty good introduction to the lore, is easy to see and it makes you laugh.

It's honestly the only exposure I have to 40K, as well as the below meme. I already sink money into DnD, I don't want to start buying fucking armies of marines.

7c8.jpg

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
You can but it will be confusing as it deals with a lot of factions and historical events in the imperium.
Thanks! Will just read up online on those. Time to hunt down the book locally first.

That actually happened when Magnus broke through Emps psychic barrier when the webway project was being worked on.
Man, these Custodes sounds freakin' badass. Also, love the gears the use. Probably the best looking gears in 40k.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Now I'm imagining this 15 foot tall dude subtly manipulating the course of human history in various guises great and humble such as "nameless 15 foot tall drifter" and "15 foot tall Alexander the Great".
He did manipulate the course of human history. He was the guy who gave humanity things like Animal Husbandry, crop management, government, making subtle influences to the development of humanity all through history since about 8000BC. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that the Emperor was Leonardo Da Vinci in one of his guises to advance human science and culture.
As has been mentioned, his giant size may have been a psychic projection. If not he could easily have projected a vision of being a smaller size to avoid everyone going "Holy shit that guy impossibly huge".

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the longest time Custodes literally had the best gear and the best soldiers but just sat around Terra all day.

Nowadays you can field them as an army and they actually do shit, and not just slather themselves in oil and parade around nakedly.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Orks are the only good race. So pure and unconcerned with politics or religion.
"The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude."

-From Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society by Uthan the Perverse

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
He did manipulate the course of human history. He was the guy who gave humanity things like Animal Husbandry, crop management, government, making subtle influences to the development of humanity all through history since about 8000BC. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that the Emperor was Leonardo Da Vinci in one of his guises to advance human science and culture.

Is that a time travel thing?

Oct 26, 2017
"The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude."

-From Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society by Uthan the Perverse
The Orks are inferred to be engineered (by the Old Ones). After a certain point they spawn their own intelligent orks that seem to have a genetically gifted understanding of science and technology. So of course they're not going to ask questions.

Is that a time travel thing?
No. He's immortal and has been around for a long time.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
I see, thanks. And where did he get all these advanced ideas from to give to everyone then? Did he see the future with psychic visions, or was he just really into animal husbandry?

Oct 26, 2017
I see, thanks. And where did he get all these advanced ideas from to give to everyone then? Did he see the future with psychic visions, or was he just really into animal husbandry?
There's no real firm answers to his ancient origins. But he wandered the world and amassed knowledge from different groups. No doubt his psychic powers helped enormously.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

He has the power of foresight, well kinda has that power. He knew that if humanity didn't get it act together after the Age of Strife they would be destroyed by the Chaos Gods. Plus he is the pinnacle of mankind or what man can truly become if given the ability to expand on their psyker powers without fear of the Warp.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
What is the consensus. He's a shit father, he treats his sons like tools. He forced Lorgar to kneel in front of his entire legion. He sent Russ to kill Magnus. Basically treated Magnus terrible. He isolated the primarchs from the true nature of Chaos. He was xenophobic, runs an absolute dictatorship. How is he any different from Palpatine?
Well, he sent Russ to bring Magnus to him, Horus changed to order to destroy the legion to weaken either both of them or turn Magnus' legion.
He's also been alive for 10000 years in various incarnations before becoming the Emperor, so any human emotion he had is probably gone at this point being on the golden throne for so long.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
what do regular folk do in 40k? any cool video games they can play? do they sit around a table, rolling dice and RPing as people from the ancient 21st century?

Like normal citizens of the Imperium? That all depends on what world they are born on. Some worlds are close to paradise as you can get and those people enjoy an easy enough life, while others are factory planets and you are a slave to work building for the war machine of the Empire. Born in the slums of a Hive City? Well you are fucked. Born in the upper echelons of said Hive City? Your life is easier than most, unless your governor is actually part of a cult and has damned your world then you are fucked. So really depends what world we are talking about.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
what do regular folk do in 40k? any cool video games they can play? do they sit around a table, rolling dice and RPing as people from the ancient 21st century?

They mostly just work. Many spend their entire lives at their workplace. If people have free time, they have very little of it, and what they can do with it depends on what their planet is like. Playing cards and rolling dice is probably something a lot of them do, but video games isn't really a thing (as are computers since AI is outlawed).

Knowing anything about the ancient 21st century would be heresy, so they don't do that. Not that they'd have any sources to learn from.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
There are certainly places where people live an easier lives and can pursue their hobbies. At least in 30k era, there are more of such places than 40k. The thing is, 40k stories revolves around Space Marines, and although Space Marines presence are actually a rare occurrence, if a Space Marine is present in your planet, it means your planet is already fucked.

svacina

Oct 25, 2017
Knowledge is dangerous in the WH40k setting. Too much knowledge invites Chaos, so it's best to just have a blanket ban on anything before a certain time lest you cause a major Chaos incursion.
When it comes to 21st century knowledge that's all rather academical anyway, nobody knows anything about things so far back, not even vague myths really. The Age of Strife was a bad time for everything, records of the past included.

So unless you know a chatty perpetual you're shit outta luck.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
There are certainly places where people live an easier lives and can pursue their hobbies. At least in 30k era, there are more of such places than 40k. The thing is, 40k stories revolves around Space Marines, and although Space Marines presence are actually a rare occurrence, if a Space Marine is present in your planet, it means your planet is already fucked.
the emperor's manbabies sound booooringggggg, i'm going green.

Orks don't have video games yo. They have dakka and more dakkas! If you are not dakkaing you are not orking!

Hit 'em hard, Hit 'em low and give 'em plenty of Dakka

... so uh is Dakka like DOTA?

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Have you read master of mankind? This is basically what happens. Custodes have to hold off a daemonic horde in the webway and lose most of their 10,000. There's dudes down there who had been fighting for like 200 days without rest. They actually do pretty well until chaos starts sending titans and greater bloodthirsters.

Thanks! Will just read up online on those. Time to hunt down the book locally first.

Man, these Custodes sounds freakin' badass. Also, love the gears the use. Probably the best looking gears in 40k.

There's some good scenes in the books of Custodes going through space marines like a space marine would go through normal humans.

Ohnonono

Oct 29, 2017
Holy Terra
These Adeptus Custodes intrigues me.

Is Watchers of the Throne a good Warhammer book to start with?
Watchers of the Throne is great, and also a fantastic audiobook. You can start with it, but don't be afraid to look up stuff if you don't know quite what it is. There is art of so much stuff that you can figure it out easy. That particular book has 3 characters and point of view chapters so its pretty easy to follow. Its an Imperial buracrat, a custode, and a sister of silence. It is set RIGHT before the warp rips open and the current Dark Imperium setting starts. I think its a great intro to newer 40k.