MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I just recently played through the Spyro trilogy and I shared the same sentiment. The first one was simple, but focused and really fun. The second and third stumble and lose their focus with the minigames/sidequests. I think I enjoyed the third game more than the second (despite the fact that there were a lot of other playable characters), so keep at it.
Thanks! I guess I'll quickly finish the second and try the third.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm this way more towards 16 bit platformers (Or those that can imitate that artstyle) but man when a great platformer comes along it's usually a heck of a great time.

Regrettably when I was younger I never played Spyro outside of a demo of the first game, will be getting the Spyro collection at some point so that can be remedied somewhat.

However, there's something but when 3d platformers started to come into their own in the PS1/N64 era that I love, from the wonky voice acting, warping textures ack of draw distance, and just how it all looked. That's something that I don't want to see in games nowadays, but it's an important part of gaming history.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks! I guess I'll quickly finish the second and try the third.
Beware tho, with the reiginited versions, it's definitely the buggiest and some of the controls make absolutely no sense, but imo the core gameplay design's better than the second one. Still good games overall. Enjoy!

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I get this feeling too with anything with pixel art, especially with 16bit pixel art which gives me the fuzzies. Lol. Beat em ups also make me feel this way. I'm a total sucker for the genre and enjoy even the shitty ones.

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
I have got a weird fondness for the Croc games. There is something... comforting about them.

So yeah, I get it.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
Nintendo needs to make more 3D Platformer games. It's a crime that Kirby and DK haven't had a major 3D game in decades (and not at all in the case of Kirby).

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
My favourite genre by some margin.

Having bought Yooka Laylee on ps4 when it was first released and being disappointed by it, I picked it up again on Steam (along with the Impossible Lair) over Xmas and have had a lot of fun with it.

Also being able to run it at 1440p and 120hz makes it much nicer to play in general.

I also picked up A Hat In Time, which has potential but hasn't been so compelling for me