PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
While Friday the 13th is just following Halloween's lead, I'd wager that more slashers are copied from Friday than any other film. Not just its forest setting (nice and cheap to shoot in, see), but its approach to having a wide cast of doomed, usually frat-ish characters and varied, bloody kills every 10 minutes or so. Damn near every 80s slasher after that bar a few have the same structure rather than Halloween's more suspenseful, low body count route. And that includes several of the Halloween sequels too.

Theres two good books on slasher history out there, the timeline and execution of F13th was the start of the market flood. I think part of it was the cheap and easy thrills. Friday the 13th's release also had a huge backlash against it when it came out, something that Halloween didn't have and the 2 years post Halloween didn't really see any major traction in slashers. There was a trashy aspect to F13th that got lot of critics and media riled up, the violence was much more out there and it created a ton of copies. Roger and Ebert made a huge deal out of F13th, newspapers trashed the film left and right for it's content, and it all built crazy hype for the film that teens flocked to go see. Post Friday there was a massive flood of slahers who closer in style to F13th than anything else. The timeline as noted in one of the books has a slashers at that time coming out almost monthly and sometimes releasing the same week even.

Prom Night and Terror Train were the only two big slashers post Halloween from what I recall.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to update for a bit. I'm hoping I don't forget much. My girlfriend and I have been watching a bunch of stuff
So to continue my list:

1 Halloween 2
2 Halloween 3
3 Exorcist
4 Coraline
5 Mandy
6 Nightmare on Elm Street
7 Child's Play
8 The Fog
9 They Live
10 Friday the 13th 2
11 Friday the 13th 3
12 Friday the 13th 4
13 Friday the 13th 5
14 Friday the 13th 6
15 Friday the 13th 7
16 Nightmare on Elm Street 2
17 Cujo
18 The Blob (80s)
19 Gremlins

Thoughts and comments. Man The Friday the 13th movies just don't work for me. I enjoyed 2 a solid amount and 3 was fun. The Tommy Jarvis trilogy was mostly good, but man. 7 was one of the most boring movies ive ever seen. guessing the last few are going to be a massive slog, but I've come this far.

Cujo was kinda scary for my girlfriend, but she was mostly sad about how the dog didn't do anything wrong.

NoES2 is a weird fucking movie. The homoerotic bits were a pretty cool premise, but it seems like it was a separate movie that they shoe horned freddy into. it was interesting, but didn't particularly like it.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Candyman still holds up brehs. I would post a review but eh, tears in the rain and all that. I do have a poorly written story of my personal experience with the film (and Tony Todd).

If y'all interested, I can post that.

Oct 25, 2017
1. The Mummy (1932) (rewatch)
2. Extraordinary Tales (2013)
3. Justice League Dark (2017)
4. The Wicker Man (1973)
(rewatch)
5. The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
6. Godzilla: King of the Monsters! (1956)
7. It (2017)
8. mother! (2017)
9. The Void (2016)
10. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970)
11. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
12. The Mummy (1999)
13. Constantine (2005)
14. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
15. The Omen (1976)
16. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
17. Corpse Bride (2005)
18. The Cabin in the Woods (2012)

I should've saved this one for last. Not gonna spoil anything, but yeah, this is a real treat for horror fans.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
#18 Terrifier (2017)

terrifier.jpg

....................*waves*

Yeah, this one didn't do much for me. Ostensibly a low budget throwback to 80s styled slashers, but a bit of synth and a lot of blood simply isn't enough for a compelling film. There's no plot to this one, an evil clown kills some people for the runtime, and well, that's the extent of it. It's an excuse for some over the top gore.

There's a weird contrast in the look of the film. It's done with a lot of basic camerawork and shots, which I am going to assume is meant to be old-school like the copycat slashers of the 80s, but it's jarring when mixed with the high quality modern digital camera it's filmed on. It winds up making the film look cheap and occasionally amateurish. I contrast this with another recent throwback in It Follows, which doesn't aim to simply copy an 80s film but more capture the "feel" (which is annoyingly vague as a term I know) of films from back then, and succeeds completely without becoming a period piece or worse, and imitation. It Follows looked and sounded terrific, this does not.

The film is mainly a vehicle for the director's slasher villain, Art the Clown, who does have a cool design and is portrayed well. But the result is characters only exist to be killed in varying ways by him, and just stumble around being useless and awaiting their turn to be dismembered. The gore effects are all very bloody and detailed but there simply isn't much to the film beyond them.

If the director aimed to make a throwback to a generic, forgettable slasher from the 80s, he succeeded.

Divius

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
znnP3v3.png

#16 - Shura AKA Demons (1971)
A suffocating experience. This movie is so fucking dark and the blood is so fucking black. So much despair and hatred. A disgraced samurai is driven mad by revenge, and there is nothing glorified or romanticized about the gruesome acts of violence he commits. It's just raw and despicable. I need a shower. 9/10

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
dont-torture-a-duckling-movie.png

#23 - Don't Torture A Duckling (1972) - There is a big reason why I tend to enjoy old Italian horror films more than anything else in the genre: because they stand out from the rest of the pack, yet their influences can be seen everywhere. People like Dario Argento, Mario Bava, Michele Soavi, Lamberto Bava, and Lucio Fulci helped pave the way for modern horror. Fulci films tend to be my favorite from that group because of his style, nonsensical dialogue, and the wonderful practical gore effects. His films remind me of Herschell Gordon Lewis if Lewis ever bothered to add some semblance of story to his movies. Don't Torture A Duckling was among one of the first Gialli that I saw when I became interested in seeing more from the genre. Despite its lack of trademark Fulci gore scenes, the movie still remains one of the most entertaining and beautiful Gialli I've ever seen.

In the small Italian village of Accendura, three young boys are going around getting into mischief. One by one, they end up missing only to be found strangled to death later on. Along with these deaths, the number of suspicious persons arise: Guiseppe (the leering village idiot whom the kids loved to pick on), Magiara (who warned the boys to stop destroying the site of where her dead child was buried), and Patrizia (a recovering drug addict who sexually teases one of the boys). The boys are cared for during the day in the church run by Father Don Alberto. A journalist from Rome provides the cops with his insights to the murders, and shortly starts his own investigation after the police are continually baffled as to who the culprit truly is.

Clocking in at around 1 hour and 45 minutes, Don't Torture A Duckling isn't nearly the slow moving Giallo the description might make you think it is. It's a smartly crafted murder mystery that goes through all kinds of hoops just to throw off the viewer. While it doesn't do as great of a job with it as similar films (notably Tenebre, Deep Red, Blood & Black Lace, etc), it does make for an interesting puzzle. That, combined with the tight pacing, and the focus on the background of the suspects really makes the time go by. While the film is pretty light on death scenes, the ones in here are very effective for completely different reasons. One of the scenes is accompanied by music from a nearby car radio to reflect the tone during various parts of it. A rock song during the actual act of violence, and then a beautifully sad tune as the victim eventually succumbs to their death. The other scene has quite possibly the most unintentionally hilarious effects and use of mannequins I have ever witnessed on screen. After just about everything else in the film was so well done, it was pretty shocking and off-putting for such poor effects to accompany the climax of the movie. The acting is fine, but has the standard bad English dubbing which these films are notorious for.

I still think this is one of the best Giallo films out there from a sheer entertainment aspect. Not to mention that it's original in that the murders are done to children, and not pretty ladies getting butchered by a madman. Any fan of the genre, or anyone interested in Giallo should check this out. Very recommended.

8.5 hilarious, over-the-top, flailing, blood-filled mannequins with sparks flying out of its face out of 10.

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film 21 - The Witch in the Window

Rslmcaw.png

The story of Finn, a 12 year old boy spending a Summer helping his dad fix up a rundown house that is still occupied by the malevolent spirit of a former owner, this is a new contender for film of the month for me. With its rural, small town America setting and its emphasis on character, the film constantly brought Stephen King to mind. The relationship between father and son is beautifully drawn, and absolutely convincing despite the ghostly goings-on that threaten to engulf them.

Talking of ghosts, there are several scenes where the spirit can be seen hiding in plain sight, at the edge of the frame or in the background, and during the day too which is refreshing. It's a clever, unsettling touch and several times the film gave me that delicious shiver down the spine, hair standing on end, goosebumps feeling. Jump scares are one thing, but I do love it when a film gives you moments of that sustained, creepy thrill. (There are jump scares here of course, but the film is never obnoxious with them.) Another great touch is the way the hidden image inside the genuine, working magic-eye picture Finn has on his bedroom wall changes to something else as the film goes on. I love attention to detail like that.

With its strong emotional core, excellent writing and direction, and top notch acting, this is a film I would absolutely recommend.

Films I've watched so far

Last edited:

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
A bunch of movies came first, even before Halloween and Black Christmas even. There is tons of Giallo before all those that one can say inspired them. But F13th was the one that was a massive hit that ushered in the flood of copies. Also F13th more sleazy and graphic style, first person view, the hidden killer not revealed till the final moments was something more unique to the film that was copied by everything after. F13th was more Giallo in nature than Halloween really, but an obvious focus on rapid fire murder and quicker US run times (Giallo sure loves it's overly long films).

I think Halloween was clearly the superior film but it was also the more unique slasher of its time. While it was a success, the slasher boom didn't truly start till F13th hit big.

I watched A Bay of Blood for the first time for this, and it really had the slasher stuff and even same kills that F13 would do like 10 years later.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
18.Mama
220px-Mama_2012_poster.jpg

I actually really enjoy a lot of things about this movie. The acting's pretty good all around, the monster design is creepy, and only the characters who were supposed to piss me off actually piss me off. Boy did that doctor waste no time trying to solve the mystery. It gets a little Tim Burton whimsical at the end there but it's still a pretty solid watch.

Also I've got a massive crush on punk rock Jessica Chastain

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
There's not a greater influence to Halloween and beyond than Clark's Black Xmas. Full stop.

Oct 26, 2017
Ban threw me off my game a bit, I might have missed a few movies. I think Google docs messed up some formatting here as well but oh well. From what I can remember…

18. Dead Silence
Well, this one was something. A bit over a week back though so not that clear. However, I have a text message from toward the end that reads: "No worries, just watching one of the worst movies I've ever seen."

And that about says it. Pretty much everything about this was terrible from the beginning to end.

1/5

19. Devil
Snore. I didn't really expect much to be fair but it really didn't have much going for it at all. Boring, cheap, bad acting, absolutely grating superstitious minority "my abuela told me all about this here situation" ridiculousness. So forgettable I actually did forget I watched this when I was putting this list together after the fact.

2/5

20. Malevolent
Speaking of, also forgot I watched this one. The Netflix trailer made it look decent I thought but I was taken aback by the poor cinematography basically instantly when I started the film. And it was basically downhill from there, no surprises scares laughs or any kind of emotional reaction besides regret.

2/5

21. Torihada
This is a compilation of modern city horror stories. Some better than others. None were particularly remarkable one way or the other but I enjoyed the break from ghost and supernatural into just kind of creepy antisocial and sociopathic.

3/5

22. Shaun of the Dead
Rewatch with my friends who hadn't seen it. Overall great film put together with a lot of wit and care. The first 2/3rds hold up really well but the ending never really worked that well for me. Regardless of how math actually works, a great 2/3 adds up to

4/5

23. Death Becomes Her
Kind of goofy horror comedy. Saw it pop up on Netflix and gave it a rewatch. I like the concept behind it the overall execution has never really wowed me.

3/5

24. Cold Fish
This was a bit weirder than I expected but I don't know why given the director. It still pales in comparison to the weirdness coming up from him next, but I guess it was just a different kind of weird. There's nothing really scary about the film. It's hard to emphasize with almost any of the characters from the outset so it doesn't really matter what happens to them but it manages not to be boring for the most part. A couple funny moments but in a macabre kind of way, wouldn't call it a comedy. A felt like the music matched the tone extremely well and there performances, while over the top for damn sure, for pretty well as well.

3/5

25. Kidan: Piece of Darkness
Back to supernatural. This one wasn't particularly special but it was noticeable how it was still actually much creepier than some clearly better films. I really appreciate that the whole point of this movie is actually to scare the viewer versus something like Cold Fish which is going to entertain and bewilder with a story that is a bit horrifying but not really scary.

3/5

1. Ju On 4/5
2. Ju On 2 3/5
3. Hellraiser 4/5
4. Hellraiser 2 3/5
5. Hellraiser 3 2/5
6. Cabin in the Woods 1/5
7. House 3/5
8. Corpse Party 2/5
9. Corpse Party 2 2/5
10. Parasyte 3/5
11. Parasyte pt. 2 3/5
12. Descent 4/5
13. Split 3/5
14. Road to Busan or 新感染 3/5
15. Cabin Fever 2/5
16. Teketeke 2/5
17. Teketeke 2 2/5

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
p23796_v_v8_aa.jpg

1. Godzilla (1954)
  2. Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
  3. King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
  4. Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
  5. Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster (1964)
  6. Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
  7. Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)
  8. Son of Godzilla (1967)
  9. Destroy All Monsters (1968)
  10. All Monsters Attack (1969)
  11. Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)
  12. Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)
  13. Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
  14. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
  15. Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)
  16. Godzilla 1984 (1984)
  17. Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)
  18. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)
People from the future jealous of Japan's 23rd century global hegemony want to prevent Godzilla from being created so King Ghidorah can destroy the country so there can be a better balance of power in the future... or something like that... It's actually pretty damned confusing, and Japan's future seems to change with the wind as things progress, but the big G has never been so big or looked so good, and Mecha King Ghidorah is cool as fuck. The origin story involving Japanese and American soldiers fighting dinosaurs in the 1944 Pacific theater is pretty throw away, but you hardly notice with the pace of the action and it does allow for a bigger, badder Godzilla.​

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Ban threw me off my game a bit, I might have missed a few movies. I think Google docs messed up some formatting here as well but oh well. From what I can remember…

18. Dead Silence
Well, this one was something. A bit over a week back though so not that clear. However, I have a text message from toward the end that reads: "No worries, just watching one of the worst movies I've ever seen."

And that about says it. Pretty much everything about this was terrible from the beginning to end.

1/5

19. Devil
Snore. I didn't really expect much to be fair but it really didn't have much going for it at all. Boring, cheap, bad acting, absolutely grating superstitious minority "my abuela told me all about this here situation" ridiculousness. So forgettable I actually did forget I watched this when I was putting this list together after the fact.

2/5

20. Malevolent
Speaking of, also forgot I watched this one. The Netflix trailer made it look decent I thought but I was taken aback by the poor cinematography basically instantly when I started the film. And it was basically downhill from there, no surprises scares laughs or any kind of emotional reaction besides regret.

2/5

21. Torihada
This is a compilation of modern city horror stories. Some better than others. None were particularly remarkable one way or the other but I enjoyed the break from ghost and supernatural into just kind of creepy antisocial and sociopathic.

3/5

22. Shaun of the Dead
Rewatch with my friends who hadn't seen it. Overall great film put together with a lot of wit and care. The first 2/3rds hold up really well but the ending never really worked that well for me. Regardless of how math actually works, a great 2/3 adds up to

4/5

23. Death Becomes Her
Kind of goofy horror comedy. Saw it pop up on Netflix and gave it a rewatch. I like the concept behind it the overall execution has never really wowed me.

3/5

24. Cold Fish
This was a bit weirder than I expected but I don't know why given the director. It still pales in comparison to the weirdness coming up from him next, but I guess it was just a different kind of weird. There's nothing really scary about the film. It's hard to emphasize with almost any of the characters from the outset so it doesn't really matter what happens to them but it manages not to be boring for the most part. A couple funny moments but in a macabre kind of way, wouldn't call it a comedy. A felt like the music matched the tone extremely well and there performances, while over the top for damn sure, for pretty well as well.

3/5

25. Kidan: Piece of Darkness
Back to supernatural. This one wasn't particularly special but it was noticeable how it was still actually much creepier than some clearly better films. I really appreciate that the whole point of this movie is actually to scare the viewer versus something like Cold Fish which is going to entertain and bewilder with a story that is a bit horrifying but not really scary.

3/5

1. Ju On 4/5
2. Ju On 2 3/5
3. Hellraiser 4/5
4. Hellraiser 2 3/5
5. Hellraiser 3 2/5
6. Cabin in the Woods 1/5
7. House 3/5
8. Corpse Party 2/5
9. Corpse Party 2 2/5
10. Parasyte 3/5
11. Parasyte pt. 2 3/5
12. Descent 4/5
13. Split 3/5
14. Road to Busan or 新感染 3/5
15. Cabin Fever 2/5
16. Teketeke 2/5
17. Teketeke 2 2/5
What's Road to Busan?

beloved freak

Oct 27, 2017
#18 - Pulse

giphy.gif

Pulse made me a little sleepy, unfortunate considering there's some really great stuff here. Solid, thought-provoking writing that is slathered with nihilism and depression, I don't think I've seen a horror film that tries to ruin your outlook on life as much as Pulse does. What a charming film. I liked it, but something about the pacing just seemed off.

I'm kinda curious how the American remake tackles this rather unique film, might have to check it out even if it got slammed by critics.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
The Mummy 1959

Something New: Mummies

This version of the Mummy was kind of boring if you ask me. Maybe it was watching The Mummy's Hand the night before or maybe I was a bit tired. Whatever it was, I found this particular story a bit long and slow. The costumes and period set pieces were nicely done and I loved the Egyptian scrolls and various other artifacts. Those pieces all looked very well made. My mind just wandered the entire time I watched this though.

The Mummy gets two blasts from a shotgun and a round from a pistol.

The Invisible Man Returns

Something old: Invisible

Pretty good sequel to the Invisible Man except that it was more drama than horror. I liked how they evolved the story from the first entry and the effects were pretty decent for their time. Downside is that this wasn't really horror and only like one person died. Original Invisible Man had an amazing body count given its time period and while that does not make the movie, it was certainly impressive. Here the death count was negligible and the story was more of a crime drama. I enjoyed this, but kind of regret including it into this marathon. I think under a different light this might be pretty good. Also, did not recognize Vincent Price in this at all.

This one is worth three invisible gerbils that get injected with visibility serum and die.

Steamlord

Oct 26, 2017
#18 - Pulse

giphy.gif

Pulse made me a little sleepy, unfortunate considering there's some really great stuff here. Solid, thought-provoking writing that is slathered with nihilism and depression, I don't think I've seen a horror film that tries to ruin your outlook on life as much as Pulse does. What a charming film. I liked it, but something about the pacing just seemed off.

I'm kinda curious how the American remake tackles this rather unique film, might have to check it out even if it got slammed by critics.
Have you seen Cure? Pulse is great, but Cure is pretty much a masterpiece. Kiyoshi Kurosawa definitely knows how to create a bleak atmosphere.

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is something so undeniably creepy about Cure. It's almost subconscious too, like you have no idea why you're creeped out, which is obviously resonant with the theme of the movie. Can't recommend Cure enough.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
#18. 30 Days of Night: This one was ok. The film was decent at raising tension but unfortunately, it ruined it whenever they did an action scene with the vampires. Just shaking the camera like a mad man any time a vampire does anything. You could have used effects or good choreography to make your vampires look cool but nah, just shake the fucking camera. The ending was also dumb as hell. All that said, the film did have a decent atmosphere that felt cold and alone and was mostly enjoyable when the vampires weren't on screen.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
18. jigsaw

Wow saw you had however many years break and this is all you could come up with? I don't even know what to say. I was never really into this series and damn now I remember why. It all just feels so tired and it takes itself way too seriously to even become fun like later entries in other horror franchises. The twist is stupid as hell too

1/10

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
17. Scream 4/SCRE4M (2011): Wasn't expecting this on Netflix, so I decided to finish the saga. It's been 15 years, and Sidney's gotten older, as has Gale and Dewey, and it's always nice to see characters get older. The movie heaps on the metafiction with double-subversions, and it can be a bit confusing. Unfortunately, this movie is so built on tropes that the movie itself feels formulaic, even with trying out new tropes such as web streaming. The last minute surprised me once I thought about it though.

Really though, is it so hard to knock Ghostface back and then pull off the mask?

Full list

Next up: It's time to step into The Conjuring Universe. I've had to shuffle my list around, since I should have checked availability ahead of time, but I'm now set on my planned list.

DAY 26, or making the best of a bad situation

Katasumi: A little bit of prep work for the incoming viewing of Ju-on! Not terribly much to say here, as this plays more like a workshop for a scene in a larger movie, but I'm surprised at how much of the visual design for Kayako was already present and accounted for, and it doesn't hurt that the actress who would go on to play here for several films was already in the role. An interesting genesis, but a bit too meager to leave a lasting impression.

4444444444: Another workshop for The Grudge! This time, we're introduced to Toshio, that little cat-mimicking scamp, who is also pretty much figured out from a visual perspective. I did find this to be stronger than Katasumi, due to the use of sound and more intriguing camerawork to increase the tension before it's revealed who is calling our protagonist, so it deserves some serious consideration. Not amazing, mind you, but this feels more like a complete work rather than a sketch, which goes a long way towards satisfaction.

Genesis: Nacho Cerda's little trilogy concludes in an unsurprisingly low-key manner, befitting of his previous shorts. Here, a sculptor wracked with grief works on his latest piece, only to discover that it's his life's work in a very literal sense. There's some strong horror imagery in this, but what might surprise someone expecting more along the lines of Aftermath is this winds up being a kind of a tragic romance. There is certainly blood here, but it never attempts to gross you out as the tables turn between creator and object, focusing much more on the anguish of the transformations, both physically and emotionally, and the tenderness applied to the subject matter makes for a far more palatable experience all around. Cerda's technical prowess is on fully display yet again, and he even restrains himself a bit on the music front by keeping the expected famous classical piece for the credit roll, but his handling of the material here shows a side that I don't think I was quite prepared for, with the tragedy here carrying on a bittersweet taste by the end that has quite the punch. If it stumbles anywhere, I did find the makeup for the petrification very underwhelming that makes it hard to believe the process visually (Pep Tosar definitely does his best with his performance, though), but that's not enough to derail the film. I do find myself more impressed by Aftermath, if only because it has such sterner content to have to navigate for something remotely watchable, but there's a quiet grace to this one that makes this just as hard to shake. For the reputation that he had already cultivated, it was quite refreshing to see Cerda produce something that is pleasant.

Outer Space: Not being familiar with The Entity (maybe another marathon...), some of the context was a bit lost on me in the sense of not being familiar with the footage itself. That may not be important, though, as what's being done to the footage is of the keenest interest. It's almost indescribable what happens here from a visual standpoint, but if I had to make my own guess, this is as if a ghost managed to find a way to scare a woman that existed in an infinite number of realities all at once, and somehow created a cascade effect in which the very nature of all realities began to recoil in fear simultaneously and began collapsing. An unhelpful observation to most, I'm sure, but I don't think any observation can sum up the effect that's being done here. This is certainly a feat of editing skills to be able to take footage from a film and do something this extraordinary, if not necessarily the kind of film that you can easily recommend as this is as pure an experiment as experimental film can get. A film I can safely say is unlike any other out there.

27: a bad age to die at and the number of films left

I had the full intention of watching a feature-length film today (The Nameless, for anyone following along), but technical difficulties have ensued and I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed with it. The marathon will go on regardless, but it's not often where a film just doesn't want to cooperate with me.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#12. Death Spa - There is so much going on in this film for what should be an admittedly simple premise. It's a strange pastiche of ideas in a bizarre story, but plenty of punch lines and very obvious editing choices reveal the filmmakers knew what they were doing. Right? A movie can't be this ridiculous without planning. Dead wives, budding romances, deadly poltergeists, lots of showers, killer AI scares, incredible gore and special effects, bad cops, hot bods, it's just a raucous godamn time.

deathspa1_758_426_81_s_c1.jpg

14 - Alien (1979/Theatrical Ed) ... Might watch the Director's Cut soon, maybe that fixes some of the issues I had with the film.
I doubt it, the director's cut felt waaaaaay more like a marketing ploy than any kind of meaningful revision. I love the film and I don't know if I could even tell you what the differences were. It's not even close to the variance that the two Aliens cuts feature.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
8. In The Mouth of Madness (1994)

Ending Carpenter's Apocalypse trilogy with an absolutely crazy ride. From the Thing, to Satan, to... Lovecraft/Stephen King! Having a interesting premise that dips into the Lovecraftian kind of horror, this film doesn't hold back once Hobb's End come around especially. If anything, maybe it goes a bit too off the rails, but still enjoyable nonetheless. I also really like Sutter Cane as a whole, who we finally see later on, and damn, what a great first impression after all of the talk about him and his work.

Am4zSxS.gif

And course Sam Neill did a really good job in this film.

Overall, what a really great trilogy, with cool premises on how the world as we know it could end. The Thing is still the best, but these other two are really enjoyable, and seem pretty underrated.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Post-list watches, Part 1

House (1977)

House was a garish frenetic whirlwind of Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Suspiria, and Japanese weirdness and I didnt like it at all. An aggressively surreal horror-comedy whose editing is as manic and weird as its horror and comedy beats, I found it completely unengaging in all aspects. Just not my kind of movie

The Brood
★★★
In its best moments, The Brood is grade-A Cronenberg: psychological drama told through disturbing body horror, gross practical effects, and twisted visuals. Its infamous homunculi born of emotion draw on the classic horror movie imagery of creepy kids, and The Brood's most effective moments outside of its finale are the ones that turn traditional places of normalcy into sites of violence done by tiny gnarled hands.

But The Brood also feels like it drags its feet for much of its runtime, instead treating its horror as mystery. The dark twisted reality of its concept and imagery isn't fully revealed till quite late in the movie, rather than interweaving the drama with the grotesque throughout like The Fly does so masterfully.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch
★★½
A bizarre horror movie that would have probably been better-received without the weight of the Halloween name attached. The opening credits against the backdrop of a gradual pixelated rendering of a pumpkin is quite telling of Season of the Witch's divergence from its predecessors, teasing its weird blend of sci-fi and occult and conspiracy compared to the subdued relatively-grounded stalking of Halloween 1 and 2.

Season of the Witch has moments of creepy imagery and tension, mainly from its sense of bizarre mystery and out-of-left-field reveals, and the final act is certainly inspired. But overall, the movie just feels like a grab bag of Halloween-related ideas thrown together with little rhyme or reason. Unfortunately the sense of mystery comes from the story being a mishmash of plot points rather than being due to any kind of intrigue. And the out-of-nowhere romance plot is probably just as weird and off-putting as Season of the Witch's eerie twists

Re-Animator [Rewatch]
★★★★
I wanted to see if I felt any differently about this about enjoying Braindead, Evil Dead, and Housebound, and I found I liked Re-Animator more than my first watch. The characters remain the highlight, particularly the sociopathic arrogance of West versus the over-the-top madness of Dr. Hill. Jeffrey Combs' ever-calm pursuit of knowledge even as events reach absurdity makes for hilarious contrast.

The pacing is really effective too. Once all the characters are introduced, the movie becomes a domino effect of blood, gore, bad decisions, and worse outcomes.

Bride of Re-Animator
★★★★
Bride of Re-Animator is from the director of Society. That explains a lot, doesn't it?

Combs is once again fantastic as West, going full Frankenstein in this one, with all the gory imagery and maniacal mad scientist shenanigans you'd expect. Dan is less interesting though; I liked him better when he was the normal guy pulled into West's madness rather than being the one-note character he is in Bride.

Bride feels more bloated and less wittier than the original, lacking the focus of the escalating rivalry between West and Hill that drove the first movie. That's still here but relegated to sideplot until boiling over late in the film. Where this movie really succeeds though is being bigger, sillier, and more absurdly gory than anything in Re-Animator. From the out-of-nowhere civil war opening to the chaos of the finale, the sequel constantly has some clever gag, gruesome visual, or fun West moment to keep you engaged. I even enjoyed the sideplots in this. The final act is a special effects smorgasbord of inventive gore and walking dead.

Bram Stoker's Dracula
★★★
Story-wise, Dracula was a drag for me. I didn't find any of the characters besides the main man himself interesting or compelling, nor the romance at the narrative's core, and the pacing felt turgid until the last 30 minutes.

But visually, the movie was absolutely gorgeous. If Crimson Peak was modern Gothic with its vivid colors, Dracula was wonderful classic Gothic, from the looming castle on the hill cloaked in shadow to the carriage paths through woodlands where wolves howl in the night and narrow lamp-lit London streets. The movie is just overflowing with inventive imagery and clever transitions; the brides rising out of the bed and Dracula's vermin escape were particularly inspired. The story may not have grabbed me, but I kept watching to see what visuals the movie would present next

Poltergeist (1982)
★★★★
Poltergeist balances the influences of Hooper and Spielberg so well. The patient build-up and measured escalation of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the wholesome naturalistic family dynamic of ET. The two dovetail wonderfully, using that time to establish the Freeling family well while planting the seeds for future scares.

I wouldn't call Poltergeist a scary movie though. It's a roller coaster ride of a horror movie. The first forty minutes races from one clever moment and inventive set-piece to the next. The middle act couldn't really compare; I didn't particularly like the new characters introduced and the pace felt much slower by contrast despite some really cool scenes. But the finale ends Poltergeist on a fantastic high note: a haunted-house gauntlet of great pay-off and escalating horror movie spectacle.

Sadromeo

Oct 27, 2017
October 18, 2018

Halloween2018s_zpsbu2trfwt.jpg

Halloween (2018)

Synopsis: Forty years after the tragic event that left Laurie Strode afraid every moment of her life, and her uttering the name Michael Myers, has culminated in hopes of a final goodbye as an incarcerated Michael has been in a psychiatric hospital near Haddonfield since that night, but, is being transferred to a different hospital farther away. However, nothing always goes as planned. Now, after those forty years of preparing for him, will she be finally strong enough to confront him or will the fear take hold again? The stakes are higher now because she also has a daughter and granddaughter...

Review: I had an absolute blast watching this. From the music, to the cinematography, to the familiar places and faces and names. It is horror nostalgia updated for the current times but still keeping to its roots. It was interesting to see where the writers went with this. Especially coming from someone like Danny McBride. Considering that type of movies and TV shows he has associated himself with, horror was not a genre I expected. But man do I like what they did here. It felt like a true sequel and there were moments that had me on edge. I like the fact that they decided to ignore all previous sequels and timelines (this series has five separate timelines counting this movie) so it was direct continuation to the classic that felt right. It was a good time being back in Haddonfield and being terrorized by Michael Myers again.

- 9/10

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
17) Cult of Chucky (2017)

★★

vYDJaAl.jpg

After the broad satire of "Seed of Chucky" and the simple back-to-basics premise of "Curse of Chucky", the latest entry in the franchise falls right in the middle. A slightly more serious tone as we are introduced to the patients of a mental institution eventually gives way to wacky madness towards the end. The characters are mostly walking clichés, prompting Don Mancini to jolt us out of our boredom by enhancing every jump scare with an incredibly loud sound effect that was more infuriating than scary. I do value my hearing, thank you very much.

Shot on digital video like the previous movie, the bland HD cheapness lends itself well to the cold, sterile environment of the psychiatric facility, which exists in a world somewhere between a poor man's "Cuckoo's Nest", Brian De Palma sleaze, and the utter camp of "Nip/Tuck". One of the biggest problems of the entire franchise is that there has never been a real reboot, turning the overall story arc into a convoluted mess by trying to bring together all the disjointed plot elements accumulated over the decades. It was nice, though, to see Andy again, our protagonist from the first three installments. In contrast to all the other meandering subplots, his storyline held the most promise. It's a pity that it doesn't go anywhere and turns out to be nothing more than fanservice. The same could be said for a large part of the proceedings here.

I haven't even mentioned Chucky himself yet, and there's a reason for that. He's as evil and mischievous as ever, but I've grown tired of his corny one-liners. Even the titular cult turns out to be a massive letdown. There is some pulpy fun to be had here, but it's all a bit too underwhelming to be called successful.

Of course, this will not be the last time we have seen the wisecracking murder doll. An actual reboot starring Aubrey Plaza (and without Brad Dourif) is currently in the works, while Don Mancini is apparently working on a Chucky TV series. I'm not exactly looking forward to those projects, but hey, I've been through worse, so what the hell.

1) Terrifier (2018) ★1/2
2) Child's Play 2 (1990) ★★1/2
3) Motel Hell (1980) ★★★
4) Wolfen (1981) ★★1/2
5) The Devil's Candy (2015)
6) I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House (2016) ★★★1/2
7) Lake Mungo (2008) ★★★1/2
8) Child's Play 3 (1991) ★1/2
9) Dead Night (2018) ★★
10) The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)
11) Bride of Chucky (1998) ★★★
12) XX (2017) ★1/2
13) Seed of Chucky (2004) ★1/2
14) Stake Land II/The Stakelander (2016) ★★1/2
15) Curse of Chucky (2013) ★★1/2
16) The Old Dark House (1932) ★★★

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Descent
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/descent

Another rewatch for me, but this movie has to be one of the most intense horror movies ever made. It's just non-stop harrowing claustrophobia and panic, and that's before the monsters show up!

Probably not much more to say about this one because I'm sure most of you have seen it. The characters are just really well done. Each one is pretty smart and fully realized. There are very few instances of "sudden onset horror character stupidity" so you don't often dislike a character unless the movie clearly wants you to. It's always so refreshing to have a horror movie center around a group of smart, competent people for a change.

My only few gripes with the movie are the reliance on EXTREMELY LOUD, SHRILL NOISES for the jump scares which become pretty predicable, and the actual design of the monsters, which I thought was a bit uninspired. Otherwise this movie is a fucking rollercoaster straight into hell.
4/5

ArtVandelay

Banned
May 29, 2018
18) The Devil Rides Out (1968)

★★1/2

6j0qK03.jpg

Now all but forgotten, Dennis Wheatley's trashy pulp novels full of racism, sexism, jingoism and ultra-conservative political views were once quite popular. His protagonists were usually wealthy aristocrats who supported the British monarchy and a rigid class system, best exemplified by his Duke de Richelieu, the protagonist of "The Devil Rides Out". In the novel, the Duke was up against a cult of Satanists consisting, among others, of "a grave-faced Chinaman wearing the robes of a Mandarin, whose slit eyes betrayed a cold, merciless nature" and "a Eurasian with only one arm" – in other words, deformed, foreign, or just generally weird-looking individuals.

Wisely, the script omitted the most unsavory bits of the novel and also streamlined parts of the more ponderous exposition. Though we still get too many scenes of a stern-looking Christopher Lee giving us background information about all things occult and evil, his sheer charisma carries much of the film. The hokey material is often ridiculous, but the deadpan approach at least gives the narrative a certain sense of authenticity. When the pace picks up, the more action-packed scenes are sadly tainted by some atrocious special effects work (the giant spider is laughable).

Eventually, the movie hits you over the head with a troubling pro-Christian message not unlike the fundamentalist preaching of modern propaganda films such as "God's Not Dead". The preachy, heavy-handed moralizing left a bad taste in my mouth. As it turns out, only God-fearing aristocrats with access to a wine cellar and several luxury vehicles can save us from the devil. The good vs. evil story is brought to a close with the following supposedly earnest exchange:

"Thank God."
"Yes, he is the one we must thank."

1) Terrifier (2018) ★1/2
2) Child's Play 2 (1990) ★★1/2
3) Motel Hell (1980) ★★★
4) Wolfen (1981) ★★1/2
5) The Devil's Candy (2015)
6) I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House (2016) ★★★1/2
7) Lake Mungo (2008) ★★★1/2
8) Child's Play 3 (1991) ★1/2
9) Dead Night (2018) ★★
10) The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)
11) Bride of Chucky (1998) ★★★
12) XX (2017) ★1/2
13) Seed of Chucky (2004) ★1/2
14) Stake Land II/The Stakelander (2016) ★★1/2
15) Curse of Chucky (2013) ★★1/2
16) The Old Dark House (1932) ★★★
17) Cult of Chucky (2017) ★★

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThirstyFly

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I've watched some real garbage during my 8 years of doing this, but I've managed to make it through everything I've started. I was close to pulling the plug on one movie last year, but I powered through and suffered to the end.
I've finally found one I just can't finish. The Human Centipede III (Final Sequence) is just unwatchable, I can't do sit though any more. It's not even the offensive content (and believe me, they're trying every trick in the book) that got to me. It's just so unpleasant to watch. There's nothing but boring, disjointed nonsense and Dieter Laser's indecipherable shouting. Sorry Tom Six, I have no desire to finish watching your awful vanity project.
I should have known this would happen after watching 2 really good movies in a row. Oh well. Since I need to continue my body horror theme, I'll be swapping in some Cronenberg in hopes of salvaging the day.

ArtVandelay

Banned
May 29, 2018
I've got good news for you then. Tom Six is about to release his latest piece of shit called "The Onania Club"! It's about a bunch of rich women masturbating to images of 9/11! According to the man himself, the movie is a "pleasant breath of polluted air in today's growing political correctness"! So edgy!

OP
OP
ThirstyFly

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh, I won't be watching that one either.
I really thought he had something with HC1. Guess I was wrong.

Ugh, I won't be watching that one either.
I really thought he had something with HC1. Guess I was wrong.
It's clear now that the first film was the exception, not the rule.

In happier news, my issues with The Nameless have been resolved, so we won't be making any last-minute substitutions after all!

Last-minute additions, on the other hand...

Last edited:

MatOfTheDead

May 30, 2018
Walsall West Midlands
so after seeing the new halloween movie this morning (which was pretty awesome) ive decided to go with something the missus picked out tonight on netflix which is #19 I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well, I've watched some real garbage during my 8 years of doing this, but I've managed to make it through everything I've started. I was close to pulling the plug on one movie last year, but I powered through and suffered to the end.
I've finally found one I just can't finish. The Human Centipede III (Final Sequence) is just unwatchable, I can't do sit though any more. It's not even the offensive content (and believe me, they're trying every trick in the book) that got to me. It's just so unpleasant to watch. There's nothing but boring, disjointed nonsense and Dieter Laser's indecipherable shouting. Sorry Tom Six, I have no desire to finish watching your awful vanity project.
I should have known this would happen after watching 2 really good movies in a row. Oh well. Since I need to continue my body horror theme, I'll be swapping in some Cronenberg in hopes of salvaging the day.
"I can't do sit though any more"

Man this movie broke your brain. I don't blame you I can't even slightly see the appeal of any of those and had no idea there were 3.

Oct 25, 2017
1. The Mummy (1932) (rewatch)
2. Extraordinary Tales (2013)
3. Justice League Dark (2017)
4. The Wicker Man (1973)
(rewatch)
5. The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
6. Godzilla: King of the Monsters! (1956)
7. It (2017)
8. mother! (2017)
9. The Void (2016)
10. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970)
11. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
12. The Mummy (1999)
13. Constantine (2005)
14. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
15. The Omen (1976)
16. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
17. Corpse Bride (2005)
18. The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
20. Phenomena (1985)

Now this is some quality Argento. A really fun premise, effective chills, a great soundtrack, and a chimpanzee nurse.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 17

41. Leatherface (2017)

Really thought I was going to hate this one. Instead I kinda dug it. Their choices on what made Leatherface Leatherface adds a sort of tragic element that wasn't there before, that I never imagined or expected, adds some really good depth actually. Good shit

42. Mercy (2014)

Meh... possessed Grandma haunts kid who loved her the most... based off a Stephen King short story but anything they changed from the story was for the worse. Not really memorable and a weak as fuck ending, a a weak as fuck resolution to a movie long mystery. Total wastes of Dylan McDermott and Mark Duplass to boot.

43. Blood Fest (2018)

This was almost too cute for its own good, it tried to do the whole Scream thing but over did it. Still some fun to be had though. Clearly made by fans of the genre and the gore concepts were good. Problem is it's Rooster Teeth joint so all the effects are CGI and Rooster Teeth CGI, which is amazing for YouTube, not so much for a feature length horror flick. CGI blood is terrible and you can really see the difference between practical horror effects and CGI ones, especially here.
Didn't hate it, grooved to it sometimes but overall felt a bit let down.

44. Ruin Me (2017)

Now this was some great shit. A Weekend Slasher Campout Escape Room becomes real... or does it... the unreliable narrator is put to great use here as throughout you question what's real up until the final frames. Solid characters, and a satisfying finish makes this a nifty little low budget gem. Check it out on Shudder.

Oct 18

45. Satanic (2016)

80 min movie that felt 40 minutes longer due to all the unnecessary setup. Took like half the movie before the horror shit kicked in. Dumb characters, dumb decisions, and an utterly gutless ending. Boo.

46. Welcome to Willits (2016)

Haha. Stoner horror is such a blast sometimes. Half sci-fi half drug fueled slasher. Fun times are had here. Rory Culkin is especially funny, alas he's not around nearly long enough. Your mileage may vary depending on how funny you find the drug fueled zaniness.

47. Bottom of the World (2017)

Jena Malone shines in this mindfuck thriller. Alas she's underutilized a bit. She has an incredible monologue early on that is played off as a joke (or is it?) that is just superb (one I as an actor might try to track down and work on myself) More thriller than really horror. It's another pretty solid "what is real?" flick. I also really really dug the ending.

48. Stitches (2012)

The best killer clown slasher flick I've ever seen. Utterly inventive kills, unabashedly gory (no cutaways here, no short cuts, full frontal gore baby)

Likeable characters, a funny as fuck dry comedic killer. The lower budget, imo, helps the character design here as the undead clown is not overproduced or overthought, just a nice effective simplistic design.

Add in a hilarious clown mythos... god I love this movie.

A real slasher gem.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
CXmYmMc.jpg

16. Halloween (1978) rewatch - I watch this every year. Not quite as unsettling as its inspiration, Black Christmas, but its still good. It always makes me laugh how Dr. Loomis talks so in-depth about Michael's psychosis despite the fact that he's never heard him speak.

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film 22 - Mayhem

J8phj4H.png

For the second October horror marathon running, a funny and highly entertaining movie starring the marvellous Samara Weaving. Mayhem is even more fun than The Babysitter though, thanks mainly to the equally marvellous Steven Yeun. He plays a lawyer trapped in the quarantined building occupied by the company he's just been fired from. The reason for the eight hour lock down is an outbreak of a viral infection that causes people to lose all inhibitions, and do and say exactly what they really want, a situation that results in a large quantity of colleague on colleague violence, as well as a fair bit of sex, arson, vandalism and general mayhem. In the midst of all the madness, and contributing a pretty large quantity of their own, Yeun and Weaving (playing an aggrieved homeowner who's in the building to try and stop the firm taking away her house), team up to try to fight their way up to the top floor to seek their revenge on the big bosses.

Mayhem is loud and ridiculous and brash and just really enjoyable. Yeun and Weaving have good chemistry, the acting is excellent throughout, and anyone who has ever worked in an office for any length of time will recognise many of the loathsome characters presented here. Watching them being given a swift kick in the nuts, or even a screwdriver to the head, is a lot more gratifying to me than I should probably admit.

Films I've watched so far

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
city-of-the-living-dead-zombie-makeup-review.jpg

#24 - City of the Living Dead (1980) - Another insanely gory, nonsensical Fulci flick. CotLD was the first installment in Fulci's Gates of Hell trilogy along with The Beyond and House by the Cemetery. First time I watched this, it became an instant favorite of mine, but I'm not about to pretend that this is some gold standard of horror.

A priest hangs himself from a tree branch in a small village called Dunwich. This act somehow opens the gates of hell which causes the dead to wise from their gwaves (sorry, I couldn't help myself with the Altered Beast reference). A psychic named Mary and a journalist are tasked with tracking down the priest's corpse before All Saints Day, or the dead will come to life all over the world to feast on the living.

For a movie about the living dead, this sure is a whole lot different than the plot summary makes it sound. For one, I'm not really sure what to call the monsters in this film. They're not exactly zombies as they can disappear and reappear instantly, can make you cry blood by just staring at you (as well as puke up your guts which is still a great effect), die from gettting stabbed anywhere, and they kill in many different ways instead of eating brains. In fact, their preferred method of killing is grabbing the back of your head and sqeezing your brains out. But it's a splatter flick first and foremost, so that's where much of the focus lies. The aforementioned puking up guts scene still holds up as do many of the gore effects. The soundtrack is great, minimal 80s synth that perfectly sets the mood. The "zombie" designs look like the cast just spread whatever gunk the effects people leftover. No need to even bring up the acting as it's pretty terrible (except the journalist was surprisingly charming and charismatic). The story is so odd, and nonsensical, that I have to wonder if Fulci did it that way on purpose. Things happen for little to no reason, and no backstory given as to why.

Even for as weird and cheesy as this movie is, it's still one of my favorite "awful" horror flicks, and includes many of the things that I love about old Italian horror films. Definitely recommended if you can stand to not question anything about what you'll see on screen.

7 puddles of black, wormy goo that makes you die of fear if it gets spread on your face (WTF?) out of 10.

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
UZMO1T5.jpg

1. Godzilla (1954)
  2. Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
  3. King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
  4. Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
  5. Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster (1964)
  6. Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
  7. Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)
  8. Son of Godzilla (1967)
  9. Destroy All Monsters (1968)
  10. All Monsters Attack (1969)
  11. Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)
  12. Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)
  13. Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
  14. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
  15. Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)
  16. Godzilla 1984 (1984)
  17. Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)
  18. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)
  19. Godzilla vs. Mothra : Battle for Earth (1992)
This one packs away the anti-nuke sentiment and pushes an environmental message while introducing a new kaiju to Mothra lore, the black moth Battra. There's some Indiana Jones flavour added to the mix early on, and the Infant Island fairies - now known as the Cosmos - add a touch of the fanciful to the whole affair. The script's a little helter skelter and Miki and the rest of the familiar JSDF faces seem to have little to do besides watch it all unfold and cheer on one side or another as Godzilla and the giant moths duke it out, but some of the end-piece battle set pieces are really impressive, and Godzilla has seldom looked as fearsome and carnal as he does in this film. Uneven in spots but generally keeps up the high quality expected from Heisei films at this point...​

DAY 27

The Nameless: An mix of 90s serial killer aesthetics and cult horror paranoia, this film takes a stab of injecting one with the other's influence to decidedly mixed results. The film has the right look, even as it is a bit indebted to the visual hellscape that David Fincher crafted with his crew on Seven (nope, still not stylizing the title), with a nice emphasis on the fraying face of lead actress Emma Vilarasau that forgoes a lot of glamor for a realistic portrayal of someone in agonizing grief, and the atmosphere has a suffocating effect at times that does drive the danger of uncovering the mystery of "Los sin nombre" to ensure that even a happy ending would come with heavy qualifiers. So what gives? Well, to put simply, the script feels like someone came up with a solid spin on the basics of either genre and then proceeded to throw that script into a wood chipper, as the film jumps around so often and so frequently that it undermines all the goodwill that was being built up. There is a point to why it feels so jumbled and nonsensical that's revealed towards the end, but it feels entirely unconvincing as it only addresses a few minor elements while leaving the major ones entirely in the dark. It's one thing to leave certain story and thematic elements ambiguous, but here, they're instead rendered in a way that makes them opaque and obtuse, offering little in the way of satisfaction by the time the film ends. This also crops up with the editing, particularly by the end when a suspenseful scene is ruined by the insistence on cutting back to entirely uninteresting dialogue and back again, often in rapid succession. Honestly, this is one of the most baffling films I've seen this entire marathon, as it is so unsure of what it wants to be about that I'm having a hard time recalling much about what I've just seen. It's a shame, since there's clearly talent in front of and behind the camera and they deserved a lot better than what they had to work with.

26 films remain as we say goodbye to one century and head right into a J-horror-filled new millennium!