• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 12

22. The Good Neighbor (2016)

James Caan is excellent in this. A rather unique way of presenting found footage via a court room framework. The twist of the film is really effective as long as you ignore one specific red herring scene that exists only to lead the viewers to specific conclusion that the end then subverts, problem is the scene makes no sense in context of character motivation once the twist is revealed. Ah well.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Going to be marathoning a bunch of (mostly newer) stuff w/ family the weekend before Halloween. Here's what I've got lined up so far:

It (2017)
A Quiet Place
Annihilation
Hereditary
Ghost Stories
The Blackcoat's Daughter
Lights Out
The Void
The Endless

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Lost power during a storm yesterday right in the middle of my film for the day, and I'm busy today, so tomorrow you will get a very exciting trio of reviews from me you may scroll past.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Tales from the Hood 2

Something old: Anthology

Wow, this was bad. Like really, really bad. The first wasn't any kind of masterpiece, but this one is complete garbage by comparison. Let's get this over with shall we?

My takeaway is that this has nothing to do with the hood or even tales from it. Most everything dealt with a mixture of races and economic backgrounds. In fact, every one of these short stories felt like the one white guy story from the first and that is out of place. The only thing that really stood out as remarkably different here, is the amount of times the word n***** was used. The first movie really didn't use that word and if it did, I really didn't notice it. In fact, the lack of its use was refreshing actually. Here, the word is not only used, but completely abused if you ask me.

So the first story was about a white girl who wanted some Golly Gee doll thing which is apparently a terrible depiction of a black person in doll form? Never heard of these things before. Personally, I found the doll more comical than anything given the facial expressions they put on this thing which is sad because any sort of moral message was lost the second that thing smiled like Cookie Monster.

The second story was about a pimp who had some big money and the thugs trying to steal said money. They end up killing him and then using a medium to try and get the money from his ghost. This actually wasn't that bad of a tale, but again, the moral of the story just got lost in all the Rolex dreams. There is no hood here.

The third story is about a couple dudes that meet some chicks for a Tinder hookup which goes wrong. Again, rich chicks in a mansion does not exactly make for a hood story. Very predictable and then done.

The last story had some promise for delivering an actual message, but it really was just a variation on the white politician story in the first movie. Overall this tale was messy too. The editing wasn't that great and story kind of meanders around before finally getting to the actual point. Fortunately, this one didn't have some oddly smiling doll and took itself a bit seriously. Unfortunately, it was just as bad as the rest of the tales within.

Then we get the wraparound. Some John McCain looking guy is trying to make Robocop and used the narrator to tell it tales to help seek out the right criminals. Terrible cgi gets used and were done.

This movie is a huge miss all told. So many things are just poorly done. I give this one two shits because that was the only thing worth saying.

Tales-from-the-Hood-2-07.jpg

Deleted member 35217

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
#30 Apostle
6711a46fa127f68df9d674b71b70013c66628764.jpg

I'm worried a slow first hour is going to turn off a lot of modern horror fans but enjoy the beautiful cinematography and the world building because your patience will be paid off in an absolutely boonanas second half. Gareth Evans' visceral Apostle is heavily inspired by The Wicker Man in all the right ways and should be a part of every horror fans Halloween viewing.

OP
OP
ThirstyFly

ThirstyFly

Oct 28, 2017
Giallo Week – Part 2

n1BmUf4.jpg

10) The Killer Reserved Nine Seats (L'assassino ha riservato nove poltrone) (1974) (Oct 10)

A wealthy socialite invites a group to an old theatre that has been passed down though his family for generations and has remained unoccupied for 100 years. After narrowly avoiding an attempted murder, the group tries to deduce who is responsible and who has the most to gain from the socialite's death as the group begins to get picked off one by one.
The Killer Reserved Nine Seats
is a whodunit giallo with a heavy emphasis on the whodunit. This one starts out on the more classy side with gorgeous theatre location, glamorous costuming and one hell of a creepy killer disguise. It doesn't take long for the sleazier side of gialli to take over though. As the body count increases, so does the sleaze factor until you feel filthy just watching it unfold. The kills themselves are not graphically shot or gory, but they do get pretty mean spirited with one in particular being excessively vile. It's perhaps one of the most suggestive and sickening kills I've seen in years.
I found the whole mystery of the movie interesting as the characters who clearly hated each other but were stuck in the same social circle had to figure out who the killer was. They couldn't wait to point fingers at each other and it's very darkly comedic. Unfortunately, as common with Italian horror movies, the ending veered off into an unsatisfactory direction and they didn't quite pull it off. It's a shame and what you're left with really really doesn't make much sense.
Poor ending aside, I'm a sucker for horror movies set in theatres (stage or movie) and I think there's enough fun here to make it worth a recommendation for giallo fans.

Recommended. 3 / 5

Yn0YXQX.jpg

11) The Perfume of the Lady in Black (Il profumo della signora in nero) (1974) (Oct 11)

A woman is haunted by hallucinations of her past and begins to lose her grip on reality.
That's really the best way I can sum this one up. The Perfume of the Lady in Black is another unconventional giallo, having more in common with such films as Rosemary's Baby and All the Colors of the Dark than your usual leather gloved killer gialli.
Like those comparable movies, it's an extremely slow burn and really does ask a lot from the viewer. It's very well made, but does tend to linger and drag on a bit at times. While I think the lead, Mimsy Farmer is definitely a more talented actress than you usually find in gialli, I feel she does tend to overact a bit and in my opinion comes off a little cold and detached from the movie. Perhaps it's just because I've recently rewatched Four Flies on Grey Velvet and her character in that is tainting my opinion, but she just wasn't as endearing as she needed to be to carry a movie like this pretty much all on her own. You never feel for her like you do Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby.
I have to admit I was a bit distracted while watching this one, so I feel I haven't given it the best conditions for a review and will be revisiting it after the marathon when I can give it more attention, but it's definitely an interesting change of pace for a giallo and the surprising ending is definitely worth the time investment.

Recommended. 3.5 / 5

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
cFlvvM6.jpg

10. The Ritual (2017) - A surprisingly decent movie. Its basically a combination of Blair Witch and The Descent. A small group of friends go into the wilderness as a sort-of tribute to their dead friend. There's some baggage involved and they start to turn on each other as shit goes south. The premise isn't the most creative, but its executed well and has an interesting monster. Its a Netflix movie if anyone is curious.

Pitcairn55

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Film 13 - Terrified

Terrified is the story of some strange occurrences in a Argentinian street, and the paranormal investigation that follows. From the unexpected brutality of the opening through to the downbeat final scene, this is a damn creepy movie, and a highly enjoyable one. Well written, well acted, nice looking and with effects that were fine for the most part, this is definitely recommended.

Films I've watched so far

Last edited:

beloved freak

Oct 27, 2017
#12 - Take Shelter

giphy.gif

What does a film have to accomplish to be considered horror? I asked myself this question about a month ago when I watched Perfect Blue, and now I'm asking again after watching Take Shelter. There are no monsters or scares in Take Shelter, save for some eerie nightmare scenes. Instead this film explores the horrors of severe mental illness, the protagonist unsure if his apocalyptic visions are real or if he is suffering from schizophrenia.

While I don't know if it qualifies as horror, I do know that I enjoyed Take Shelter. Its slow pace won't be a hit with everyone but I liked its dark and gloomy tone, and Michael Shannon once again delivers a fantastic performance.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
#12. The Strangers: Prey at Night (Unrated)

A pretty blah slasher flick. Christina Hendricks is a definite upgrade to whispery lord of the rings lady. They set up what could be an interesting family dynamic but don't do much with it. The pool scene was fantastic I thought but I got so frustrated with the guy kid when he
didnt pull the trigger. And I was already pissed they killed off Hendricks so early
that it wasn't enough to redeem things for me

4/10

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
12. Evil Dead
220px-Evil_dead_ver1.jpg

This is one of those series that's more well-known for its sequels than it is for the original. Everything that people remember is from either 2 or 3 except for a few things. It's also weird noticing the inconsistencies because they basically had to retcon this one out of existence and replace it with an abridged version. Ash looks like a dork, the necronomicon doesn't seem to actually be called that and is significantly smaller than it is in the other films, and this is probably the only one of the series to be pure horror. Even the remake/sequel has some silliness to it (like fixing all injuries with duct tape and that one guy taking an insane amount of punishment over the course of the film before dying). That said, it's still a decent watch.

Oct 25, 2017
1. The Mummy (1932) (rewatch)
2. Extraordinary Tales (2013)
3. Justice League Dark (2017)
4. The Wicker Man (1973)
(rewatch)
5. The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
6. Godzilla: King of the Monsters! (1956)
7. It (2017)
8. mother! (2017)
9. The Void (2016)
10. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970)
11. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
12. The Mummy (1999)

Not exactly a horror movie, but it is a "remake" of the 1932 version, and it certainly owes a lot of it in terms of inspiration for characters and story (Imhotep and Ardeth Bay being separate characters feels odd, but whatever). As a movie, it's a pretty fun adventure flick, something like a prototype for the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A Quiet Place (2018)

original-1918168-1.jpg

this was one of the movies I was looking forward to. my neighbours can be very noisy sometimes and I had to wait for an opportunity to watch it, so I can immerse myself.

and it was... eh. there's so much attention to detail in this, that the characters' actions feel incredibly stupid in comparison.

I give it a crochet hungry hungry hippos on etsy out of 10.

(also watched Final Destination 2 and 5 couple days ago)

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
First time viewing. All the praise is deserved. Given my last film (check my letterboxd below), this was a much needed pallete cleanser.

https://letterboxd.com/kinggroin/film/young-frankenstein/

001-m.jpg

Spaceballs is the only other Mel Brooks directed film I've seen. I like it enough, but I was kinda worried Young Frankenstein would lose itself on a drunken stumble overboard. Thankfully this was far from the case, and in fact, I found that the slower, more controlled energy and pacing, really elevated the comedic aspects of the film making this funnier than the aforementioned Star Wars spoofer. The homage to classic Universal Studios creature features felt genuine, like it came from real fans; and the fact that Wilder was so hands on with this probably helped a ton in maintaining focus. And Marty Feldman, bless him, just can't not be a hilarious on screen presence - his sneak into the brain storage area becoming one of the funniest bits I've seen in quite some time.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
#12. The Strangers: Prey at Night (Unrated)

A pretty blah slasher flick. Christina Hendricks is a definite upgrade to whispery lord of the rings lady. They set up what could be an interesting family dynamic but don't do much with it. The pool scene was fantastic I thought but I got so frustrated with the guy kid when he
didnt pull the trigger. And I was already pissed they killed off Hendricks so early
that it wasn't enough to redeem things for me

4/10

Yep. I thought it has some really solid set pieces, but the character decisions were beyond dumb.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
5. Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island (1998)

Earlier this year, I had rekindled my love for Scooby-Doo after watching Mystery Incorporated, which is a very good show. So, I thought that I would get around to this film again in particular, a movie that would lead to a series of direct to video Scooby-Doo films throughout the years, and help moved the IP forward in the late 90s. It was further notable for having a darker tone than what came before, and thus diving deeper into the horror elements. They REALLY pushed that unlike before where it would be a person behind the mask, the monsters were going to be real this time.

After going separate ways, the gang comes together again to look for some real horrors to have for Daphne's show, and oh boy do they certainly do find some! I think the premise was a neat idea for something that was intended to begin a comeback for this IP, and this also felt like bit of a nice follow up to Where Are You?! where the gang has moved on into adult life. As a kid, I was pretty damn excited, if a bit terrified that the gang were now going to deal with zombies that were actually real!

Returning to it 20 years after it's release, I think the film holds up pretty well for what it is. Being a direct to video flick, it wasn't really going to get a huge budget, but what they put out was good for such, including using darker colors to feed into the tone they were going for, and actually has some neat transformations. Course despite going for a darker tone, there are still plenty of the humor and charm that the series is known for, and I think for the most part, they were able to still balance it fine with giving the darker elements some room to shine. I admit, the whole, "OH this can't be real, there got to be some logic to this" got kind of cringe worthy, but man does the "unmasking" scene feel so satisfying to wash the remaining of that away.

All in all, a still enjoyable film that had a great premise for the time, which that kind of thing pops up on and off in later stuff (and being taken even further). Oh and it has a cool soundtrack, especially this song!

Damn, I really went into it this time. XD

First time viewing. All the praise is deserved. Given my last film (check my letterboxd below), this was a much needed pallete cleanser.

https://letterboxd.com/kinggroin/film/young-frankenstein/

001-m.jpg

Spaceballs is the only other Mel Brooks directed film I've seen. I like it enough, but I was kinda worried Young Frankenstein would lose itself on a drunken stumble overboard. Thankfully this was far from the case, and in fact, I found that the slower, more controlled energy and pacing, really elevated the comedic aspects of the film making this funnier than the aforementioned Star Wars spoofer. The homage to classic Universal Studios creature features felt genuine, like it came from real fans; and the fact that Wilder was so hands on with this probably helped a ton in maintaining focus. And Marty Feldman, bless him, just can't not be a hilarious on screen presence - his sneak into the brain storage area becoming one of the funniest bits I've seen in quite some time.
Brooks' earlier films really benefit from the fact that he not only had such a great affinity for the genres he was spoofing, but they weren't nearly as far back in the rear-view mirror as we'd see later on with his films. I'd also recommend Blazing Saddles wholeheartedly, but be prepared to be offended by every damn thing in that one.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
NQyfGfq.jpg

11. Scream Blacula Scream (1973) - With a title like this, you'd expect something wacky and bad, but its actually a solid vampire film. One of the reasons it works is because of how great William Marshall is as Blacula. He's big and imposing, while also being quite charming and even sympathetic. By the end, I actually felt pretty bad for the guy.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#7. The Burning - Rewatch for the first time in years, thought it was middling then and now but I warmed up to it a little bit. The gore really is off the charts given what was asked, Savini "put on a clinic" for others to aspire to.

Check the fucking credits though- Harvey and fucking Bob Weinstein heavily involved in a super rapey exploitation flick..... couldn't stop laughing at the blatant ickiness on display. Really puts a lens on certain scenes and themes.

12. Evil Dead this is one of those series that's more well-known for its sequels than it is for the original. Everything that people remember is from either 2 or 3 except for a few things.... That said, it's still a decent watch.
First one's the best in the series!

Last edited:

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
10.The Pool

Watched this at my local theater last night. This one is about a guy trying to find his way out of an empty Olympic sized pool. Also, he's trapped there with a hungry alligator. This felt similar to Gravity, the guy's situation keeps going from bad to worse. The main guy scrambles away from the gator in the cramped drainage pipes under the pool, he tries climbing out of the pool up some barbed wire with bare hands. There seems to be no way out. It was pretty good except it loses steam near the end when it should be charging to the finish full speed.

The movie opens near the end of the story before rewinding to flashbacks to see how he got in the situation. I think it would've been more fun if it stayed in the present. Seeing a guy with a broken ankle, suffering from dehydration trying to out maneuver a tenacious gator would've been a more interesting movie for me.

If you're in the Asian territories, this just came out in theaters. So give it a shot.

1bb7a2bfb3eea324d579a27f693ede92.jpg

Previous entries:
1.Under the Skin
2.Hocus Pocus

3Bone Tomahawk
4.Meet the Applegates
5.Venom

6.Signs
7.Fortress
8.Alien vs. Predator: Requiem
9.Grindhouse

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
31) Apostle (2018)
★★★★

Apostle, for me, was a victim of expectation. After all the praise, I was expecting something that would escalate into a nightmare of blood and insane occult imagery, in the vein of Kill List or Possession.

What I got was a tense cult thriller with a sinister atmosphere whose eerie unnerving undertones gradually lost their off, unsettling nature as the central conflict became more defined and exposed. My favorite part of the movie was actually the first half, which excellently balanced the outsider introduction to the community with cat-and-mouse tension between secret motives. This was when Apostle felt its most mysterious and creepy, where its imagery hinted at dark twisted secrets. The latter half of the movie certainly has its moments of striking supernatural imagery and brutal bloodshed, but it largely felt kind of pedestrian and...human instead of going the opposite direction with the cult and occult aspects.

Dan Stevens was the brightest element here, imbuing his tortured protagonist with a sense of feral tenacity and aggression simmering just beneath that hooded gaze and hunched posture. The other element that shines here is Evans' direction; his action background was evident in the clarity and dynamic camerawork that always framed moments in the most effective manner, and in the pacing of sequences, whether it's a tense build-up to gory violence or a desperate brawl.

===

1) The Blob (1988)
★★★★

2) Dead Calm (1989)
★★★
3) Hardware (1990)

4) The People Under The Stairs (1991)
★★★½

5) Braindead (1992)
★★★★★

6) Cronos (1993)
★★★
7) In The Mouth of Madness (1994)
★★★★½

8) Village of the Damned (1995)
★★
9) Scream (1996)
★★½
10) Mimic (1997)
★★½

11) Apt Pupil (1998)
★★½
12) The Blair Witch Project (1999)
★★★★½

13) American Psycho (2000)
★★★½
14) The Others (2001)
★★★½
15) Ju-on: The Grudge (2002)
★½

16) House of 1000 Corpses (2003)
½
17) The Toolbox Murders (2004)

18) Wolf Creek (2005)
★★
19) Them (2006)
★★★
20) 30 Days of Night (2007)
★★★★½

21) The Ruins (2008)
★★★★
22) Drag Me to Hell (2009)
★★★½
23) Dream Home (2010)
★★★★

24) The Innkeepers (2011)
★★½
25) V/H/S (2012)
★★
26) V/H/S/2 (2013)
★★★

27) Housebound (2014)
★★★★
28) Crimson Peak (2015)
★★★★½

29) Blair Witch (2016)
★★
30) Satan's Slaves (2017)
★★★½

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
11. Child's Play

This brings back memories of the Night of the Living Dummy series from the Goosebumps books. There's an evil living doll that comes about with magic words, except this one tries to murder people and possess your 6 year old child instead of just making you his slave. I do commend the puppetry on this, making a doll move around while carrying a knife and having it climb up on things. It can certainly be over-the-top at times, considering a random serial killer can memorize a rather long chant just in case he needs to transfer his soul in a doll (I wonder if the voodoo guy learned that from Voldemort), or an instance where a blow to the head from a hammer can knock you back 10 feet and out a window. Oh, and annoying kid alert. It's wacky, it's creepy, it's fun. I like it. Not sure if I want to check out the sequels.

Full list

Last edited:

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Ya'll need to be getting in on Haunting At Hill House if you haven't already. It's like the Watchmen of Horror Television. It's like if someone finally adapted Steven King the way he was meant to be. It's like compulsively watchable cocaine injected directly through your eyes and ears and into your very soul. It's got some occasional moments of rough writing, but holy shit, Mike Flanagan (Oculus, Hush, Gerald's Game) has something incredible here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll need to be getting in on Haunting At Hill House if you haven't already. It's like the Watchmen of Horror Television. It's like if someone finally adapted Steven King the way he was meant to be. It's like compulsively watchable cocaine injected directly through your eyes and ears and into your very soul. It's got some occasional moments of rough writing, but holy shit, Mike Flanagan (Oculus, Hush, Gerald's Game) has something incredible here.
That good, huh? Better King TV than Castle Rock?

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
That good, huh? Better King TV than Castle Rock?
I haven't watched Castle Rock yet, but there's some real King hallmarks here. It feels very true to something like the spirit of IT, with its examination of the lives of a cast of characters dealing with the horror of trauma in their past and how it impacts their present in a very seamless way.

EDIT: Let me make clear, it's not a King adaptation on its face, but feels like the best translation of themes King succeeds at conveying in his writing.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
1. Wrong Turn (N)
2. Valentine (N)
3. Urban Legend (N)
4. Ghost Team One (N)
5. Constantine (R)
6. Monster House (R)
7. Warm Bodies (R)
8. Scream 2 (R)
9. Most Likely to Die (N)
10. Tragedy Girls (N)
11. The Windmill (N)
12. All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (N)
13. The House on Sorority Row (N)
14. The Invisible Maniac (N)
15. Clown (N)
16. Halloween (R)
17. Ruin Me (N)
18. Hide and Go Shriek (n)
19. Hatchet (N)
20. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (NR)
21. Drag Me to Hell (N)
22. The Funhouse Massacre (N)
23. Revenge (N)
24. The Witch (N)

25. Caesar and Otto's Summer Camp Massacre (N) - Never Again! Never again.

26. Sleepaway Camp 2 (N) - It turned the rather shocking ending of the first into a weird joke. Also seems to lean a lot more into the humor.

Steamlord

Oct 26, 2017
14. Terrified - Pretty nonsensical and seems more intent on setting up jump scares than telling a coherent story, but it's got some fun spooks and creepy imagery at least.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched Castle Rock yet, but there's some real King hallmarks here. It feels very true to something like the spirit of IT, with its examination of the lives of a cast of characters dealing with the horror of trauma in their past and how it impacts their present in a very seamless way.

EDIT: Let me make clear, it's not a King adaptation on its face, but feels like the best translation of themes King succeeds at conveying in his writing.
you already finished the whole season?

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
#12. Premonition: Watched because of Giant Bomb's commentary. If you want to watch Sandra Bullock stare at things confusingly for 100 minutes, boy do we have a movie for you. It occasionally breaks up her staring scenes with a decapitated head falling out of an incredibly shoddily built coffin, a kid running through a plate glass window because it was raining and Sandra Bullock being forced into an insane asylum part way into the movie that's never addressed again. And there's a dead crow somewhere too. This movie is dog shit but at least I laughed along with the commentary.

DAY 20, with a twist!

Within the Woods: Hey, haven't I sorta seen this before?! A few years before scraping together the cash for a more evil dead than what we see here, then-unknowns Sam Raimi, Rob Tapert, Bruce Campbell and Ellen Sandweiss made their first trip to the woods that wound up with similar results. This is undoubtedly a less polished film than the landmark they would make later, a fact not helped out by the fact that the quality of the print is close to abysmal, but it's a hell of a lot of fun to see just how many trademarks were already in place for the soon-to-be series. Especially impressive is the pittance of a budget this was made on, making the approximation of Raimi's patented camera techniques and the surprisingly gooey gore effects quite remarkable indeed. I think the thing I liked the most was how this was able to flip the table on what an Evil Dead fan might have expected this to play out, as Bruce Campbell was certainly no Ash (though I got a big laugh out of his character telling his girlfriend not to violate graves, which he then immediately does himself in the most obvious touchstone for Ash), as well as a genuinely funny bit involving the closest character to Ash getting a most indignant end with all the physical abuse he receives. This is a genesis, but one that has a lot of value even if it's not anywhere near the heights we'd soon see.

Fisheye: A way better version of Humanoids from the Deep! Joking aside, though not really, this Croatian animation (Croanimation?) gets top marks for its distinct art style and ambitious visual touches, incorporating some impressive 3D pans through the environments, all from the hand of a single animator. While not crazy graphic, one might be taken aback by just how violent this one gets, as the fish here have had enough of the village that continues to come after them, resulting in a bloody rampage to set the villagers straight once and for all. The jangling score only adds to the intensity of the massacre, and the fish themselves are an impressively creepy creation, especially with their eyes resemble globes that have attracted a swarm of gnats to their pupils. Very good stuff all around and a nice reminder that in the right hands, monster movies can be rather stern stuff.

Living Dolls: Alternate title: Maniac Begins! The similarity in a lonely man surrounded by mannequins being in two films from 1980 is a heck of a coincidence, though instead of a slasher sleaze-fest, we have a simple tale of a put-upon handyman at a department store who gets a bit more than he's bargaining for when he vents his frustrations with the staff and customers upon the seemingly lifeless mannequins on the floor few venture to. The feminist angle is undeniable here, lending the film a nice flavor as it will not put up with indignities upon even the image of women, and it does have a killer climax that makes good use of the rapid cuts to get around the production limitations of not having that many mannequins and a human stand-in for another. Its only fault is that it is pretty much as advertised with no real surprises in store, so even with the feminist angle, it can feel a bit sleight. Nevertheless, it is well executed all the same, and at 9 minutes, it's as long as it needed to be. A very solid performer!

B-B-B-B-B-B-BONUS FILM!!!

Alligator: SURPRISE! Not content with a day of nothing but short films, I decided to track down a glaring hole in my marathon scheduling this year with a good ol' fashioned "when animals attack" feature. And as it turns out, I chose very wisely with this wildly entertaining update on 50s sci-fi B-movie tropes paired with more graphic horror elements. Thanks to the capable pen of John Sayles, a sometimes unsung hero of genre films of the late 70s and 80s, we wind up with a story that is smart about how to deploy the humor without losing sight of the central focus on alligator rampages and the hunt that ensues, and keeping the timeframe to a short period makes for a zippy story that never loses its step. It's wickedly funny throughout, with endearing characters that get some game character actors to deliver the zingers, anchored by a committed performance from the great Robert Forster that gives the film the leading man it deserves with his dry wit balancing out his understated anxiety over the cards life has dealt to him. Director Lewis Teague does well by all of the actors, but when you have a giant alligator on the loose, you had better get that part right, which is most certainly the case here. Ramon is a fun little creation, mixing both actual alligator footage on miniaturized sets to give him the proper scale as well as scaled special effects creations during the actual attack scenes to give the film the necessary level of giddy violence that you want from it, culminating in a wild wedding party massacre that features so much chomping and tail whipping that you won't know what to do with yourself afterward. The climax is a bit on the rushed side when compared to what came just before it, but that's hardly a surprise when we're dealing with such a well-worn framework that has the benefit this time around of having the proper amount of care and craft put into the preceding 80 minutes for quite the rollicking good time. And how many films of this kind manage to pull off the expected THE END? twist while sneaking in a reference to The Third Man? Just this one, I'd have to think! All in all, this isn't deep stuff, but this does exactly what it needs to do with way more love than you would expect from the era of endless Jaws ripoffs, and that counts for a lot in this monster lover's book.

The Ravishing of Frank N. Stein: A peerless experimental animation short, this one is smart to sell you on the hand drawn imagery from The Bride of Frankenstein, as that is not quite the road you'll be taking. Told almost entirely from a first person perspective, we start walking down a hall, slowly and with some difficulty, suggesting we might be seeing this from the perspective of our favorite reanimated man. But then the animation of walking through the room begins to repeat, seemingly covering up a lack of funds, and that's when you start noticing the differences. Subtle at first, each new room we enter starts to feel more and more unfamiliar with each new object added, until... well, you'll have to see for yourself, but if I could give this a ringing endorsement, I feel like that a VR version of this experience would easily be the scariest VR thing ever. As it is as a plain old 2D experience, though, this is still a mind-blowing application of the medium to unsettle you through subtlety that takes familiarity and perverts it so incrementally that you'll wish for more traditional scares just to have something less grueling and disturbing to witness. This is a stunner and one that I won't be soon forgetting.

45 films to go, but now there's more!

So, as you can tell, my marathon just got even more interesting. I've now realized that I'm well ahead of where I thought I was going to be with the marathon, so I'm taking the opportunity to make some "pit stops" along the way. How many there will ultimately be, I cannot say, but it's safe to say that I found a way to make my biggest endeavor ever even bigger.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The month of horror continues post-31 Days of Horror. I'm planning to watch House (1977), Rosemary's Baby, The Brood, Poltergeist (1982), Halloween 3 (Kinggroin you sold me on this one), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), Salem's Lot (1979), Bram Stoker's Dracula, Manic 1980 and Manic 2012.

All those will be first time watches. And of course new Halloween and Suspiria to close out the month

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
#17 - The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015) (first time viewing) - For the 3 decades that I've been a horror fan, I've found that it's the one movie genre that I never let myself overhype a film. There's just too many ways interpretations of horror can go, and it's best to approach each film with no expectations at all. A few years ago, I heard of a film that many of my horror industry friends raved about called The Blackcoat's Daughter. On the other hand, about the same number of people who I know in the industry thought it was either just "OK" or too much of a slow burn. Which side of the fence do I come down on? Mostly on the "it was OK" side.

At a Catholic boarding school, two girls (Rose and Kat) are awaiting the late arrival of their parents to go home for their break. While Rose purposefully tells her parents the wrong date for a specific reason, Kat is upset that something bad has happened to her parents. Rose tells Kat that the nuns at the school are actually devil worshippers. Meanwhile, a girl named Joan seemingly escapes from a hospital and enters a bus station to clean herself up. While waiting for a bus, Joan is offered a ride by man named Bill and his wife Linda.

If we were giving points based solely on atmosphere, this movie would be a 9/10 without doubt. Everything from the performances, soundtrack, presentation, etc is all designed to set a very cold and desolate tone. I also give it credit for it's originality. However, I found the story to be lacking and predictable halfway through the film. While it was all presented nicely, and told a very sad, tragic tale, the lack of character development made the "twist" lack the emotional punch it needed. I feel like since this movie was only 90 minutes long, there could have been more plot added to further flesh out the characters. And while they do an excellent job, it felt a bit rushed. Also, this entire film is nothing but a slow burn aside from the last 15-20 minutes. I didn't feel that the payoff was worth the wait. I felt the same about TI West's The House of the Devil.

Overall, I can't say that I was disappointed or didn't like the film. But is The Blackcoat's Daughter something that I would seek out to watch again? Probably not. This is one of the few times when I'll say that more time needed to be added to the movie for it to be something great. This is another polarizing horror film that's going to have its fair share or critics and admirers on both sides.

6 little girls who are so lonely that they will do just about anything to make that feeling go away out of 10.

Sadromeo

Oct 27, 2017
October 12, 2018

ANightmareOnElmStreets_zpsgap5imk1.jpg

A Nightmare On Elm Street

Synopsis: Nancy and her friends are being picked off one by one in their nightmares by a burned man wearing a dirty red and green sweater and glove of knives on his right hand...

Review: The classic. The one that made Freddy Krueger a household name and spawned six sequels, a movie versus Jason Voorhees (Friday the 13th), the New Nightmare film and finally a reboot. A Wes Craven horror gem that is an iconic 80's slasher classic. A definite must watch. You even get to see a very young Johnny Depp.

- 9/10

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
The month of horror continues post-31 Days of Horror. I'm planning to watch House (1977), Rosemary's Baby, The Brood, Poltergeist (1982), Halloween 3 (Kinggroin you sold me on this one), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), Salem's Lot (1979), Bram Stoker's Dracula, Manic 1980 and Manic 2012.

All those will be first time watches. And of course new Halloween and Suspiria to close out the month

Hope you enjoy rediscovering H3

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
#11 The Void (2016)

MV5BZjEzNjJiYjEtMDIyOS00YTVkLTlhZWItNGJkNjY1ZjdhNjJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjEwNTM2Mzc@._V1_SY500_CR0,0,337,500_AL_.jpg

I don't know what half this stuff is.

Some Lovecraft, some Carpenter, a lot of Clive Barker, and a dash of Silent Hill. More on that last one shortly.

An exceedingly yellow hospital is besieged by a mysterious cult, trapping the tiny cast of characters inside with some gnarly monsters and something most sinister down below.
The Void is openly a throwback to 80s monster horror like The Thing, or the Hellraiser series, and aiming for that "cosmic horror" style and reaching...at least the stratosphere, perhaps nipping at the mesosphere occasionally. However, escape our atmosphere into the cosmos, it does not.
Which is not to say it is bad, but ultimately it's more of a pleasant throwback that's content to rest on the laurels of previous work.

It wields its Barker and Lovecraft influences freely, however, I find it wields them rather as a video game might. It takes common imagery from those two writers, creepy cults, twisted monsters, ancient cosmic beings, but doesn't really wrestle with them beyond the most basic visuals. Given the minute budget, the film looks nice, its practical effects and gruesome monsters are very impressive. The budget does take its toll on the writing and acting, which are both suspect. As for my video game comment, for those that have seen the film, does it not remind you of an action horror game inspired by Barker/Lovecraft? A pretty basic plot, an isolated area with boundaries, cultist mooks to start, later on Silent Hill-esque monster waves to shoot down, dim corridors, a vague cult leader and vaguer great evil being, and even a final boss?

Perhaps some of this comes from the short length, which means it's over before you know it and much of the film is underdeveloped.

I'm probably being too hard on the film, as a little throwback it's perfectly nice. It's got a slick look, plenty of spooky if not too original imagery, and I'm glad the film exists in any case. But I would like to see a bigger budget, more ambitious film that wields the same influences, but less literally than this one does.

Check it out if you're a sucker for cosmic horror films, but temper expectations a little.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
From my Hooptober Letterboxd list:

Maniac 1980

When I watched the remake a few years ago, I had no idea this even existed. I don't remember a whole lot about it at this point because that was a few years ago now, but both Wood and the story were super disturbing. This version is definitely no different. What I find odd is that this was around the same time as the first Friday the 13th which was nowhere near as violent as this ended up. As a side note, watching the Crystal Lake Memories documentary about F13th, they talk about how the censors kept cutting things and reducing the amount of violence over the years. I kind of wonder if something like Maniac drove that censorship.

So the most memorable thing about this, for me anyway, is the Savini death. Dude was definitely young back in those days and his work was phenomenal as always. The shotgun blast to the head he takes is super bloody and well worth the price of admission alone.

The big draw is Joe Spinell though. His character is amazingly deranged. He seamlessly moves from heavy breathing serial killer to socialite with no issues. Makes you wonder why he doesn't just normalize and have a good life. Seems more than adequate at dating and being normal, but then we wouldn't get to see his dark side. Which is really dark.

Now I need to watch the remake again. I think quite a few things were changed from this to that while keeping the core ideas in place and I'm curious to see how that one stacks up now.

Maniac gets three scalps and a half a pint of blood on a mannequin.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
CNpQNL0.jpg

12. The Amityville Horror (1979) - A jumbled collection of sub-plots that doesn't add up to a whole lot. It has some cool imagery, but not enough excitement. James Brolin gives a good performance as the Jack Torrance-esque father, but the movie just doesn't do anything with it. I know its supposedly based on a "true story", but they should have taken more liberties with it.

Jimi D

Oct 27, 2017
Godzilla_vs._Gigan_Poster_Japanese_Toho_Championship_Festival.png

1. Godzilla (1954)
  2. Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
  3. King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
  4. Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
  5. Ghidorah The Three Headed Monster (1964)
  6. Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
  7. Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)
  8. Son of Godzilla (1967)
  9. Destroy All Monsters (1968)
  10. All Monsters Attack (1969)
  11. Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)
  12. Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)
Cockroaches from outer space plot the destruction of mankind - aided by Ghidorah and Gigan - from thier secret lair in a Godzilla theme park. Fortunately for us all, their plans are foiled by Godzilla and Anguirus with the help of some hollywood-groovy young Japanese animators and computer programmers... um, okay... Pretty good production values over all, though there's a fair bit of stock footage used throughout the destruction of Tokyo and the Anguirus vs. Ghidorah battle... Notable because Gigan makes Godzilla bleed...​

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#8. Sleepaway Camp - Watched as part of a live double feature, really fun time, half the audience hadn't seen it. A goddamn classic that entertains time and time again. It's so trashy, but so fun.

220px-SleepawayCampposter.jpg

Don't buy shoes like this ^^

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
10) The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)

srLWAgH.jpg

"We had a hell of a good time together, chased a lot of women, and in between occasionally we made a film."
Andrew Prine

This poorly acted and shoddily made proto-slasher has inexplicably become a cult classic over the years. Almost a Z-grade movie, it lacks the campy charm that could land it a spot on RedLetterMedia's "Best of the Worst". For the most part, director Charles B. Pierce has no idea what he's doing, with stretches of the movie consisting of long, uneventful scenes that simply peter out without any kind of resolution. The folksy PSA-style narration that often describes exactly what we are seeing on screen feels quaint and horribly dated. The hooded killer, though moderately menacing with his almost animalistic breathing, usually bumbles around like a fool and sometimes manages to kill some of his victims in unintentionally hilarious ways. Even worse are some jarring tonal shifts, the slapstick comedy shenanigans accompanied by irritating "Yakety Sax"-style background music appearing particularly out of place. Tellingly, the movie originally didn't even have an ending – actor Andrew Prine had to hastily write the final part of the movie during the shoot.

Trashy in all the wrong ways, and an utterly dull affair.

1) Terrifier (2018) ★1/2
2) Child's Play 2 (1990) ★★1/2
3) Motel Hell (1980) ★★★
4) Wolfen (1981) ★★1/2
5) The Devil's Candy (2015)
6) I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House (2016) ★★★1/2
7) Lake Mungo (2008) ★★★1/2
8) Child's Play 3 (1991) ★1/2
9) Dead Night (2018) ★★

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
23. Scream (1996)
24. Scream 2 (1997)
25. Scream 3 (2000)
26. Seven in Heaven (2018): This movie sucked, it had an interesting idea but had no idea what to do with that idea, basically 7 minutes in heaven aka a closet with a girl transports you to another reaality that's super fucked up. Thing is the explanation for the alternatve reality is shit, the guide through that reality is nonsense, the explanation for how to escape is nonsense. None of it makes sense. It's just bad, so bad it;s hilarious.

Oct 13

27. Scream 4 (2011)

Gonna write about the Scream series as a whole, from start to finish this might be the most consistent slasher series ever, even the weak link Scream 3 when watched as part of the while series works. In fact, I'd argue Scream 4 redeems Scream 3, 3 does not work as the finale of the series, which 4 absolutely does. The subversion in 4 is top notch and would not have existed had 3 been done as Williamson originally planned. Williamson reused his originbal ideas that he never got to do in Scream 3 (as he didn't write it) for Scream 4... and those ideas work much better in 2011 than they would have in 2000.

What really hit me watching them all together is that Scream is the only slasher series that is truly and utterly about the Survivors and not the killer.... they are the unkillables that just keep coming back. That's what makes Scream so special, Sidney (who I'd argue is the greatest final girl in slasher history, watch her character progression, her strength in each film, she goes from innocent girl in 1 to battered but trying to move on college student whose judgments are influenced by her pas trauma in 2 , to recluse but trying to use her pain to help other women in 3, to someone who finally found herself in 4 ), Dewey and Gale, get their asses kicked in every film, they get beaten, stabbed, shot... but they don't die... the killers are mere humans the surviving trio are the superhumans. It's brilliant, because Craven never made you think they couldn't, 3 set them up to do so and the hype build up to 4 in terms of press and what not screamed that Emma Roberts was going to be positioned as the new MC, to build new movies off of.

When you watch Scream 3 as part of a whole it serves it;s purpose (more so than Williamson's original 3 idea... which I;d have loved to have seen don't get me wrong, look it up there's some cool ideas, some of which he used in 4 and some he didn't), but this 3 while less violent and more comedic actually wrapped up Sidney's core issues, we got closure entirely on the Sidney's mother thread. The reveals there work, and frankly Williamson wanted to go back to Woodsboro in ... which is too early, going back instead in Scream 4 years years later works so much better. The escalation from small town (1), to college town (2), to Hollywood (3) is pitch perfect, especially with the furthering of the movie within a movie concept introduced in 2... setting 3 on the set of the third movie within a movie set is solid escalation of that concept introduced in 2. I'm kinda just rambling, but this is the series that opened my mind to the horror genre so I have a lot to say about it. Anyway like i said Scream 4 retroactively makes 3 have a better place in the canon, returning to Woodsboro, 15 years after Scream 1 rather than just 3 is more meaningful., the contrast between 3 being Hollywood back lots and 4, a return home is more meaningful.

Finally the lack of gratuitous sex and nudity in the series is wonderful. Sticks to what's important, gratuitous death and violence ;)... but legit nudity for the sake of nudity is a frustration I have with slashers.

All in all I spoke little about 1 and 2, but that's because there's not much to say, they are classic of the genre for a reason. I love this series.

Last edited:

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
#12 The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

91ei8JE0SDL._SY741_.jpg

Look what your brother did to the door! Ain't he got no pride in his home?

Quite a major one for me to be viewing, but while I've seen chunks of the film inevitably over the years, I've never actually just watched the whole thing through til now.

There's very little I'll be able to say that hasn't already been said in the last forty years about this film, but in any case, I do have thoughts to share. In short it's masterful. Horror films are for what? Scaring? Disgusting? Thrilling? Making you jump? But how often are they primarily for just that, horror? Well this one is. This film isn't made for gore, or for jumpscares, it's made to horrify and every frame is aimed at that goal. Even knowing the most famous scenes, having seen the most famous shots, I think it still succeeded with me.

I'm drawing a line between "scare" and "horror" here, but I think anyone who's seen this film knows what I mean. Long before Leatherface starts offing our group of nondescript young adults, the film is uneasy, discordant, on edge. Even once the killing starts, it's all about the sense of wrongness. Rather than being interested in gore, the film is interested in the idea of gore; it's happening, but it's all out of focus and left to your mind to fill it in. The raw camerawork and the soundtrack of grinding, chattering and howling make a real one of a kind eerie atmosphere, without even touching on the crazed performances from the villains.

There's no "slickness" or "coolness" here, and I'm not just referring to many modern horror films but even classic slashers from the same generation. Halloween for instance has its composed shots and carefully measured scares, and it's a great film, but this has a unique nightmarish quality. Jason Vorhees or Michael Myers are cool, badass villains people often root for, to see their increasingly silly kills. Leatherface, at least here, is not badass, he's a squealing nut. On the note of Halloween being more composed, that is not to say it's poorly shot, because I'd in fact like to give a special shoutout to the cinematography, which produces some beautifully ugly visuals.

OkJ3M39.png

cIra4Be.png

A0p6Lo5.png
roAm6Ou.png

To summarize, this is a filthy fever dream of a film and I loved it. It's a must see for all horror fans.

That's some rambling review from me today, but hey, it fits with the film. Now, onto the remake. My expectations are truly through the roof, just sky high.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
#12 The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

91ei8JE0SDL._SY741_.jpg

Look what your brother did to the door! Ain't he got no pride in his home?

Quite a major one for me to be viewing, but while I've seen chunks of the film inevitably over the years, I've never actually just watched the whole thing through til now.

There's very little I'll be able to say that hasn't already been said in the last forty years about this film, but in any case, I do have thoughts to share. In short it's masterful. Horror films are for what? Scaring? Disgusting? Thrilling? Making you jump? But how often are they primarily for just that, horror? Well this one is. This film isn't made for gore, or for jumpscares, it's made to horrify and every frame is aimed at that goal. Even knowing the most famous scenes, having seen the most famous shots, I think it still succeeded with me.

I'm drawing a line between "scare" and "horror" here, but I think anyone who's seen this film knows what I mean. Long before Leatherface starts offing our group of nondescript young adults, the film is uneasy, discordant, on edge. Even once the killing starts, it's all about the sense of wrongness. Rather than being interested in gore, the film is interested in the idea of gore; it's happening, but it's all out of focus and left to your mind to fill it in. The raw camerawork and the soundtrack of grinding, chattering and howling make a real one of a kind eerie atmosphere, without even touching on the crazed performances from the villains.

There's no "slickness" or "coolness" here, and I'm not just referring to many modern horror films but even classic slashers from the same generation. Halloween for instance has its composed shots and carefully measured scares, and it's a great film, but this has a unique nightmarish quality. Jason Vorhees or Michael Myers are cool, badass villains people often root for, to see their increasingly silly kills. Leatherface, at least here, is not badass, he's a squealing nut. On the note of Halloween being more composed, that is not to say it's poorly shot, because I'd in fact like to give a special shoutout to the cinematography, which produces some beautifully ugly visuals.

OkJ3M39.png

cIra4Be.png

A0p6Lo5.png
roAm6Ou.png

To summarize, this is a filthy fever dream of a film and I loved it. It's a must see for all horror fans.

That's some rambling review from me today, but hey, it fits with the film. Now, onto the remake. My expectations are truly through the roof, just sky high.
Filthy fever dream sums TCM up well, particularly the oppressive claustrophobic madness of the final act

It's tied with The Shining as my favorite horror movie

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
TCSM is still so freaking disturbing because it's so gritty and dirty. You can feel and smell the atmosphere.

That had to be a miserable shoot.