Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm just unlucky but half the time I buy headphones or a PC and the jack or the plug on the headphones itself is busted and doesn't even work.

I can't count the times I've plugged in a headset and only one side works.

Or I get to do the magic barely push it inside the jack maneuver and then I can finally listen to both speakers in my headset.

Or even the, I need to bend the cord in just the correct way to get them both to work.

So say what you will about apple (I don't like them much myself) but getting rid of that jack was a godsend to me and I don't get the love for it. I've had too many break over my 30 years of living to ever want it back.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about no?

Options are great, cellphones need to have both wired and wireless headphones, everyone is happy like that.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Then something is wrong with your headphones or the jack in your PC. The 3.5mm jack is pretty resilient.

OwensboroEsq

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, having more options is awful. I for one can't wait for the day I've forgotten to charge my headphones and can't listen to anything because there isn't a low tech backup option readily available.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Getting rid of it renders a very high percentage of headphones obsolete, and there's no clear alternative to replace it. Of course people will be upset

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You are unlucky because I rarely have problems with these

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Removing the 3.5 millimeter jack is going to destroy the music industry.

I already notice more and more iPhone users listening to music far less often. Just wait and see what happens when every phone manufacturer switches over.

If they din't Packing in wireless headphones shit is going to devastate the industry.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
What an absurd premise for a thread. How is it possible that someone "doesn't get" the love for the 3.5mm headphone jack even if they don't personally like it?

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
You can still use wireless headphones or USB-C headphones/a dongle to connect your headphones even when your phone has a headphone jack.

Why take away options instead of adding them?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
huh, that's not the port that's your damn headphones, bruh...

lmfao @ this shit. More option is always better.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm just unlucky but half the time I buy headphones or a PC and the jack or the plug on the headphones itself is busted and doesn't even work.

Or I get to do the magic barely push it inside the jack maneuver and then I can finally listen to both speakers in my headset.

Or even the, I need to bend the cord in just the correct way to get them both to work.

So say what you will about apple (I don't like them much myself) but getting rid of that jack was a godsend to me and I don't get the love for it. I've had too many break over my 30 years of living to ever want it back.

Your logic is flawed. Why not just leave the jack for the people who want it and you use whatever wireless headphones you wanna use? Whats the point of completely getting rid of the jack? It's on the bottom of your phone, you will never see it unless you want to, you can just pretend it doesn't exist? Why can't I have my phone charging and using the aux cord in my car at the same time? Who gives a shit about your shitty headphones? You realize the problems you describe are your 10 dollar headphones and not the jack right? huh?

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Now imagine if the t hung that's busted is $30-100? Headphones are cheap but that Bluetooth Shit is not. If you don't think they break, well lol

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
I get the love for physical jack

But I definitely share your experience. I've bought so many headphones, ear plugs, cheap, expensive, all major brands, mixed with ipods, smart phones, everything and EVERY SINGLE TIME they end up not working properly - as you say, one side falls out, you have to jiggle it in for it to work, finally it just becomes too bad.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Removing the 3.5mm jack is correlated to assholes playing music over their shitty phone speakers on public transportation.

Why do you support asshole behavior, op?

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Not sure what kind of bargain basement headphones you're buying that the jack is always busted. I have Bose and Grado headphones and have never had a problem with the jack

Please keep the 3.5mm jack alive, I like having options. Dongles suck

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
i don't feel to need recharge the bluetooth headphone every now and then, also good quality bluetooth headphone are expansive.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
The 3.5mm jack is, mechanically, extraordinarily resilient. Certainly, from an electrical point of view, it's the most resilient connector in the industry apart from a mains plug adaptor.

OP, any experiences you have really don't change the physics of that, so this is a very silly thread.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017

So, like, don't use it. It's an option and options are good. Especially options that allow users to not have to spend $100 on wifi earbuds.

Also, 50% of your earphones were broken? Come on. That's crazy. Either you bought the cheapest garbage $5 earbuds or you were yanking them around and broke 'em. Buy a good set with strong cords.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I don't miss the 3.5mm jack since I'm fully wireless on my iPhone X (even do wireless charging), but taking away the port isn't inherently good since it doesn't block the use of other output methods like USB-C/Lightning or Bluetooth/WiFi.

What I however will say is that the demise of the 3.5mm jack as a standard has lead to a major uptick in headphone manufacturers making good low price wireless options like the OnePlus Wireless Bullets that I'm using.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
You can still use wireless headphones or USB-C headphones/a dongle to connect your headphones even when your phone has a headphone jack.

Because it's a terrible input. The last two laptops I've bought the microphone jack was broken out of the box. And the last 3 40$ headphones iveI purchased had the left or right speaker stop unless I positioned them in just the right way.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
It's literally just you op.

Bluetooth headphones are expensive, need charging and are lower quality. I've tried them, and I went straight back to wired.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I literally buy a $10 pair of sony earbuds and have never had any of the issue you've had. Except once after I had whipped them on the ground a few times, then I had to do the angle thing because I busted the cord. I also live in an area where it gets to -30/40c in the winter, and still use those earbuds with no issue.

Treat your cords better. Don't throw them down, bend them at extreme angles, crush them in your bag, pull the jack out by the cord... There's ways to avoid what you're doing to headphones to cause them to break, also try and get some headphones with a removable 3.5mm cable so that if it does break, you can replace a $1 cable.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Because it's a terrible input. The last two laptops I've bought the microphone jack was broken out of the box. And the last 3 40$ headphones iveI purchased had the left or right speaker stop unless I positioned them in just the right way.

Because it's not a terrible input. Objectively it has larger connection surfaces than any other port commonly in use, and is subsequently very, very robust.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
"Guys, I bought shitty $5 cables that break after a month of use. Let's blame audio IOs and praise a $200 device as it's permanent replacement".

"Guys, my laptop's audio IO broke, so I have to blame the entire existence of the device for its breakage".

"Guys, my phone is .50" thinner so it was worth getting rid of a redundant port".

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

What you are describing is caused by an electrical short circuit in the cable, not a problem with the jack. This is why I only buy headphones with replaceable cables.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Bluetooth headphones fail on me at around the same rate as wired headphones.

But they cost at least twice as much so it's adding up.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017

USB sucks for me and my pixel 2. The headphone adapter they've added doesn't seem to sit tight in the port so my music keeps cutting out when the wire moves :(

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Yes, let's get rid of something that requires barely any space to implement and provides more options for people.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Either you have incredibly shit luck, or somehow can't wrap your brain around how a headphone jack works.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
The problem is you. I've never broken a 3.5 jack or headphones.
Who the fuck breaks a 3.5 jack?!

It's so weird how folks have this hate for the port. We get it, your particular preference and comfort in life requires no cables whatsoever, with everything wireless: wireless internet, wireless charging, wireless listening, wireless transmitting, wireless gaming, wireless.

However, let's go ahead and decriminalize the thesis of the 3.5mm jack: it's the most basic form of analog audio interface. Like the most basic form. You can create arenas of speakers with a simple 3.5mm jack. You can connect your musical instruments or mix music or communicate or hypnotize with a 3.5mm jack. For a forum that's based on scrutinizing the pixel behind every entertainment absorbed, Bluetooth devices just don't cut it for me as the ultimate symbol of audio with its latency and cost. I own shit loads of Bluetooth devices. However, I would always settle for 3.5mm over Bluetooth if I had to make one decision.

3.5mm jack matters. To you, it doesn't. But to the existence of all things listening, it does.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You had to know this thread wasn't going to go over well.

I use AirPods myself, but if I used wired then I wouldn't have a problem with the dongle since I'd just keep it attached to my headphones.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
so because you buy dollar store headphones and/or treat your headphones like shit and break them on a regular basis, nobody should have the ability to use wired headphones. ok.

the presence of a 3.5mm jack doesn't stop you from using wireless headphones if that's what you prefer. choices.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My two main headsets are each like 5 years old and work well. Ironically the cushions and such are falling apart, but the jack itself and the cable are still in excellent conditions. I see no reason to stop offering the option of using these devices.

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How is it a godsend to remove an option that doesn't work for you anyway? Your wireless headphones work the same whether the phone has a headphone jack or not.