• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What jRPGs will you pick up?

• Monster Hunter Rise

Votes: 183 54.5%
  • Monster Hunter Stories 2

Votes: 146 43.5%
  • Shin Megami Tensei V

Votes: 253 75.3%
  • Ys IX

Votes: 105 31.3%
  • Bravely Default II

Votes: 176 52.4%
  • Rune Factory 5

Votes: 102 30.4%
  • Disgaea 6

Votes: 73 21.7%

• Total voters

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Rise is a jRPG in the same way Dark Souls is? AKA not actually a jRPG?

Definitely getting Rise and SMT V. I haven't played Stories so I gotta do that before 2 comes out.

Genres are worthless but Souls is pretty RPG so it doesn't really matter what someone calls it. It's an Action/Adventure game with RPG elements.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I voted for all of them except MH: Rise. Plus Nocturne HD, and I think 2021 is finally the year for some of the Kickstarter games I've been following for a long time. Maybe Digimon Survive if it doesn't end up canceled.

And that's not even getting into any Nintendo IPs that may release. Another Pokemon, Xenoblade/Monolith Soft title, and Fire Emblem are all possibilities.

There's no way I'll be able to play them all lmao.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Monster Hunter Stories 2 and SMTV for sure. I might grab Bravely Default 2 based on reviews, but the first game left a sour taste in my mouth (that stupid endgame--can't stand repeating the same bosses over and over) and I never did grab the sequel.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Based on previous games in the series, all of them except Ys IX and Disagea. My girlfriend will most likely get Rune Factory 5 for herself so I'll be able to play it as well.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I plan on getting Bravely Default 2, Monster Hunter Stories 2 and SMT5 on Switch.

I saw that a new game in the Mercenaries SRPG series is coming out in October, in Japan. I'll get that one as well. Don't know if it's a 2020 or 2021 game in the west.

Ys IX on PS4.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
SMT V - 100% for sure. Then YS IX, but might grab it on PS5 or PC instead. Bravely Default probably won't be on launch, but will grab it at some point.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I'll get SMT V (almost definitely), Bravely Default 2 (probably), and Ys IX (definitely, but on the PS4 instead).

Oct 25, 2017
It hasn't been officially delayed yet, but a delay is becoming more and more inevitable the longer we go without an update, with only a few months left in the year.

www.videogameschronicle.com

Bravely Default 2 rated for Switch ahead of 2020 release | VGC

Sequel features a new world and characters…

Starting to get ratings, so the odds of it getting delayed have dipped a little. Very early 2021 at the worst, but probably getting a release date at TGS or the next direct.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Wow I love JRPGs and I'm not interested in a single one of these except Ys IX which I would play on PS4.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I started clicking the little buttons in the poll and then realized I was getting all of them. Woops.

Ys IX is the only one I'm on the fence about because I may get it for PC instead.

Still holding onto hope that Bravely Default II gets dated in some kind of direct in the next 3 weeks and manages to sneak into December. I think that'd be about the same amount of time from announcement to release as Pikmin 3 Deluxe and the new Hyrule Warriors?

I think BD2 may actually be the one I'm most excited for. I honestly wasn't a huge fan of the entire party choosing their actions at the start of the turn and the new system appeals to me so much more. I just hope they add a turn order indicator. Basically just make it Octopath Traveler with the little boost/default system being reversed lol.