• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saray

Nov 26, 2018
FFVIIR was very very good, but TLOU2 was one of the biggest let down of all time for me so i can't regard this year as great.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
BotW > __________

Persona 5
Horizon
MK8D
Nier Autamata
RE 7
Prey
What Remains of Edith Finch
Gravity Rush 2
Pyre
Night In the Woods
Hellblade
Nioh
Splatoon 2
Yakuza 0

And that's literally only through July. Let's be real here, 2020 PALES in comparison to 2017
Through July of this year we'll have had

• Persona 5 Royal
  • Half Life Alyx
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons
  • The Last of Us 2
  • Persona 4 PC
  • Legend of Runeterra
  • Dreams
  • Monster Hunter Iceborne
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Ori and Will of the Wisps
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • DOOM Eternal
  • Resident Evil 3
  • Nioh 2
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Paper Mario Origami King
  • Sengoku Basara 4

Honestly I'd take this list over yours, so I don't agree with that sentiment at all. Funny enough, if you include Yakuza 7 that'll be 4 games in the same series released this year from your list, and I'd say all except debatably RE3 are considerably better.

Oct 25, 2017
Through July of this year we'll have had

• Persona 5 Royal
  • Half Life Alyx
  • The Last of Us 2
  • Persona 4 PC
  • Legend of Runeterra
  • Dreams
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • DOOM Eternal
  • Resident Evil 3
  • Nioh 2
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Paper Mario Origami King
  • Sengoku Basara 4

Honestly I'd take this list over yours

I do too. I LOVE Prey but I think TLou2 is better than anything on that 2017 list and Alyx is clearly a very special game.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Hah, seriously thought this was a thread from last Fall getting bumped before entering. It seemed like 2020 was poised for greatness with the stacked schedule but it's nothing more than fine with delays and the lack of surprise releases.

2017 in comparions had no idle time all year long, continuously pumping out a variety of heavy hitters. Made me forget that the beginning of the year is typically dry

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
forgot about that one!

Obviously its all personal, but for the people saying its been meh: The inevitable GOTGeneration conversations will likely focus on TLOU, Cyberpunk and BotW. The fact we got two of those this year surely counts for something
The conversations haven't started yet and Bloodborne was already robbed smdh

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Backlog year for me, there have been a few new games I've played and enjoyed but nothing extraordinary

This right here. Between everything closed for months with stay at home and me tightening the buck, this has been my best gaming year in a long time. I am catching up on classics that I've had in the backlog for a decade!

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Alyx has been one of the more special gaming experiences I've had in a long, long time. That one alone puts 2020 in a good place.

Then, due to the pandemic, I've been able to get through a good chunk of my backlog, so "2020 games" for me includes stuff like RDR2, Outer Wilds, and with LoU2 this year has been amazing.

Combine that with getting my Index about a month ago and slowly going through the VR catalog and 2020 is a top year for me.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It already is.

Games that I played or have interest:

TLOU II
Ghost of Tsushima
Cyberpunk 2077
Minecraft Dungeons
Tell Me Why
Captain Tsubasa
Persona 5 Royal
Dreams
FF VII
Animal Crossing
World of Horror
Tony Hawk 1+2
Yakuza 7
Crash Bandicoot 4
Psychonauts 2
RE 3
TMS #FE Encore
Pirate Warriors 4
Granblue Fanatsy Versus
Xenoblade Definitive Edition
Half Life Alyx
AC Vallhala
Miles Morales
Astro's Playroom

It never happened before, I'll play 2020 games for the entire decade.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
feels kind of like a nothing year so far tbh. I guess animal crossing was a heavy hitter but nothing other than that.

if silk song if this year I'll feel better

nothing has touched ring fit so we're still in the shadow of 2019 for great games

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who pretty much only plays the most mainstream of AAA games, this year has been pretty good. TLOU 2 as an obvious Game of the Generation contender instantly puts the year above most.

It all depends on what you like though. I don't care for Nintendo games so 2017 whose main arguments are Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey won't be as highly ranked for me as it will for other people. Prey and Horizon were probably my favorite games from that year if I remember right.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
2020 has been a fantastic year outside of Nintendo. Hopefully the rumors are true and they have a lot to show in that upcoming Direct.

Some highlight titles of the year:
  • Persona 5 Royal
  • Half Life Alyx
  • The Last of Us 2
  • Persona 4 PC
  • Legend of Runeterra
  • Dreams
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • DOOM Eternal
  • Resident Evil 3
  • Nioh 2
  • Streets of Rage 4

Plus all the launch line up games like Halo Infinite and a new Spider-Man. And games still to release like Cyberpunk, a new Crash, Ghost of Tsushima, Watch Dogs, etc. I'm not sure how someone can look at that list and call it a "bad year" for games. Several of those are straight up Game of the Gen tier releases.
BotW > __________

Persona 5
Horizon
MK8D
Nier Autamata
RE 7
Prey
What Remains of Edith Finch
Gravity Rush 2
Pyre
Night In the Woods
Hellblade
Nioh
Splatoon 2
Yakuza 0

And that's literally only through July. Let's be real here, 2020 PALES in comparison to 2017
IMO 2020 has a stronger first half than 2017 based on these lists.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Strongest of the generation for me. FFVIIR, REmake 3, TLOU2, Doom Eternal, Ghosts of Tsuchima, Half Life Alyx, Ori, Halo Infinite, Star Wars Squadrons, Cyberpunk 2077.
Yep sure is looking that way. These thoughts will be cemented if the rumored Mario All Stars, Pikmin, and Nintendo Holiday title come to fruition. Best year by a sizable margin.

Oct 24, 2019
What did we get in those years to make them standout?

2017 just had a metric fuckton of high quality games, even if they weren't all necessarily masterpieces:
  • Resident Evil 7
  • Yakuza 0
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Nioh
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Nier: Automata
  • Prey
  • Pyre
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Hollow Knight
  • Cuphead
  • Wolfenstein: The New Colossus
  • The Evil Within 2
  • Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
  • Assassin's Creed Origins
  • Crash N. Sane Trilogy
  • South Park: The Fractured But Whole
  • Gravity Rush 2
  • Night in the Woods
  • Persona 5
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
  • Injustice 2
  • Destiny 2
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Lone Echo
  • Little Nightmares
  • Outlast 2
  • Sonic Mania
  • Metroid: Samus Returns
  • Mario + Rabbids
Surely more that I'm forgetting too. But 2017 was the most exciting year in gaming I've ever experienced, where it felt like every single week there was something new and awesome coming out, and that the AAA, AA, and indie sectors were all firing on all cylinders.

2019 I thought was a pretty unremarkable year outside of a couple things like Sekiro, Control, Resident Evil 2, and Death Stranding.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Nothing interesting for me this year so far, but Cyberpunk 2077, Crusader Kings 3 and ATOM RPG Trudograd will most probably rectify this with a vengeance once they get released coming fall.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
It's a relatively strong year with Animal Crossing, TLOU 2, Ori Will of the Wisp, Half Life Alyxx and Cyberpunk spearheading the charge.

Then we got Doom Eternal, , FFVI Remake, Xenoblade Chornicles remaster , Snowrunners, F1 2020, Deseperados 3, Kentucky Route Zero, Journey to the savage planet, Dreams, Nioh 2

Watch Dogs, Assassins Creed Valhalla, Mortal Shell and Hellpoint MIGHT deliver. Microsoft Flight Simulator looks to be the first true next gen game in terms of visuals, so there's that too.

So it's a very solid year, might not have the mind-blowing genre masterpieces of 2019 (Outer Wilds and Disco Elysium), unless cyberpunk knocks our socks off, but it has a more consistent rate of great games

Last edited:

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
It's been pretty good. I'm very pleased with The Last of Us 2 and Animal Crossing. Ori and FFVII Remake met my expectations. Playing Deadly Premonition 2 at the moment, and so far that's more or less what I was expecting. Doom Eternal was a mild disappointment, while RE3 remake was extremely disappointing to me.

We'll see how the rest of the year goes. I'm very excited for Cyberpunk, but not much else that has an announced date. Launch lineups for the new consoles are cloudy at the moment, and Nintendo - as usual - is a wild card. Need to play Nioh 2 at some point.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
2020 looked good on paper, last year. Then everything got delayed and delayed. And I have a feeling that more games are going to be delayed the closer we get to fall.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
The only people who ever argue *insert current year* is a bad year for games are always people who ignore like 90% of what comes out.

There's easily 100+ great games every year, more than anyone here plays anyway.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Dreams and Half-Life Alyx (10s) alone have made it a stellar year. The Last of Us Part II (9) was great as well.

Now I just need Psychonauts 2 and I'll be all set. Please make it this year. Pretty please?

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
The only people who ever argue *insert current year* is a bad year for games are always people who ignore like 90% of what comes out.

There's easily 100+ great games every year, more than anyone here plays anyway.

I might disagree with the numbers but yeah. There's always going to be something in any given year, even if I'm unaware of it. Since I got a steady job, I can't say I've been through a "bad year"; there's always been a few new releases I've dug.

This year's been pretty good--I wouldn't say necessarily great, but there's been some really awesome stuff. I really had fun with Doom Eternal and RE3R/Resistance, and given that I started using gamepass I'm playing a lot of new stuff that would've been flying under my radar (Streets of Rage, West of Dead--I've got high hopes for Carrion as well).

Last edited:

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I think the first half has been pretty bad, but there could be more cool stuff in the second half (Crash 4, Kena, Away the Survival Series, etc)

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Even though I was pretty disappointed in Doom Eternal and RE3 Remake, I would agree 2020 is still hot so far. I LOVED TLOU2 and can't wait for Ghost of Tsushima this week.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Besides Deadly Premonition 2, Cyberpunk, and No More Heroes 3(if it gets out), this year looks incredibly boring to me.

Half Life Alyx looks like one of the best of the generation but I'm not going to be able to play it anytime soon.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Seems great for PC and PlayStation gamers.

The output from Nintendo is really bad, and I don't anticipate BotW 2 coming out to salvage it.

But it doesn't matter for me, because I started this console generation late and have tons to play.

OP
OP
iswasdoes

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Seems great for PC and PlayStation gamers.

The output from Nintendo is really bad, and I don't anticipate BotW 2 coming out to salvage it.

But it doesn't matter for me, because I started this console generation late and have tons to play.

I don't think you can say bad when they've had a huge selling critically acclaimed game (AC) - it's not my thing but I've had an instalment of most of my fave Nintendo franchises on switch.

Plus they will have a direct, where they could announce anything. Frankly they could announce nothing but remasters and I'd say they'd had an ok year

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Final Fantasy VII Remake blew me away this year– it's by far my personal stand out title. Maybe it was because I went with with low expectations and ended up absolutely loving it?

The Last of Us Part 2 is really really good and pretty much what I expected, Animal Crossing is similar– loving it, but what I expected. Same with Half Life Alyx– loved it, really amazing experience, but I had high expectations and it met them.

FFVII though… I just keep thinking about it and I can't wait for the next installment.

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
I'm hoping the second half is better with Ghost, THPS 1+2, Halo, Cyberpunk, and launch titles. Otherwise everything released this year I've been in no mood for (TLOU2, Animal Crossing), wasn't great (Doom Eternal), or "unavailable" (waiting on the PC version of FF7R, don't have VR for HL: Alyx). Games in 2020 have been pretty blah so far.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Unless I'm forgetting something this year is still waiting for a breakout indie game, ala Hollow Knight, Stardew Valley, Celeste, Slay the Spire, Into the Breach etc.

There's been some good ones like World of Horror and Umurangi Generation, and Kentucky Route Zero got its last act, but nothing so far that's exploded and became nailed on for top 10 lists. Hades seems the likeliest candidate.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's okay for me.
Really loved Kentucky Route Zero, it's the defining game of the year for me. Currently digging Deadly Premonition 2 a lot, but it's a slight step down from the first game and feels smaller in scope. I don't think anything else this year is that substantial for me.
Will be curious if Psychonauts 2 comes out this year though.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm definitely in the minority, but 2019 was a really, really good year for me even if it didn't have a GOAT-contender title, so it's difficult to say we're clearly in that territory even yet.

It's certainly not at 2017 status yet. That year is batshit insane

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree OP. Alyx has been GOTG for me.

We've still got Flight Simulator, Cyberpunk, Squadrons and quite few others to look forward to.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Top 5 this generation (excluding remakes/remasters):

1. NieR: Automata
2. Tetris Effect
3. The Witness
4. Yakuza 0
5. Celeste

I'm more of a multiplayer gamer even if my top 5 says otherwise, lol.

Ahhh the MP focus makes sense. Still though, great taste! I'll bump NieR up a couple spots in my backlog, need to get to that ASAP.

Thx for sharing!