• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the "lying grifter" 's scam the Sanders Institute which would have been within the past ten years?

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you explain his not releasing for 2016?

There was something embarrassing or damaging in his returns. If there wasn't, he should have released them anyway because it makes it look like there was something embarrassing or damaging in his returns. What else is a reasonable person supposed to believe when Mr. Transparency is conspicuously opposed to being transparent on specific issues.

That's why it's going to do him a lot of favors stopping the rumor mill by releasing 10 years. If he ends up not doing it, I have no choice but to believe he's crooked and that's his fault when it happens. But I believe he will be a man of his word this time.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
what do you mean "as usual"?
All the twitter hot takes that have been posted criticizing Buttigieg have only required a tiny bit of research to show that they're lacking in important context or just flat out inaccurate. Not to say there's nothing about Pete worth giving the side-eye over, but each situation so far has been pretty nuanced.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could care less about tax returns other than it's suspicious why he keeps refusing to release them. Let's see if he actually honors the 4/15 date.

I agree with this. I've said all along that he's got until the first debate to get them out. he can miss that april date, don't really care, but if they're not out by the time all the candidates are on stage together making their case against the others then it's a problem. a potentially calzone'd kind of problem.

but it's going to be insufferable as all hell if he releases 10 years, they're as boring as he claims, and then people start going "well yeah of course they're boring he didn't release 11 years!!!"

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this. I've said all along that he's got until the first debate to get them out. he can miss that april date, don't really care, but if they're not out by the time all the candidates are on stage together making their case against the others then it's a problem. a potentially calzone'd kind of problem.

but it's going to be insufferable as all hell if he releases 10 years, they're as boring as he claims, and then people start going "well yeah of course they're boring he didn't release 11 years!!!"
Candidates so far have been releasing 12 years.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
smart and cool how its a conspiracy that the DNC had an obvious preference of candidates but not at all a conspiracy that sanders taking six weeks to release 10 years of tax returns was a deliberate attempt to hide something catastrophic. damn, us democrats huh

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
I barely have time to post here despite losing two to three hours each time to catch up with the thread, but Bernie making a huge deal about his tax returns this time could be a good bet.

Making this an "event" can be positive if there´s nothing wrong in the returns. I guess he learned that he should have done this in 2016 and will not make the same mistake again.

Let people get angry, let people get nervous and then relase ho-hum returns to eliminate one of the biggest talking point negatives people have against you. Could be a good play.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I barely have time to post here despite losing two to three hours each time to catch up with the thread, but Bernie making a huge deal about his tax returns this time could be a good bet.

Making this an "event" can be positive if there´s nothing wrong in the returns. I guess he learned that he should have done this in 2016 and will not make the same mistake again.

Let people get angry, let people get nervous and then relase ho-hum returns to eliminate one of the biggest talking point negatives people have against you. Could be a good play.

I actually do think he might have been intentionally coy to get more coverage in the press. He is a politician after all.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
If there's anything bad in Sanders taxes, better to get it out of the way now rather than later.

It makes the Dems look bad calling for trump's taxes when Sanders won't even release his.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't watch so don't know what Sanders said in the video clip, but he'd best have them ready for his Fox townhall. Or at the very least give a specific date at that point.

They're obviously coming though so that's good.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017

Beto making a real strong point here which will be bait for RWM. He just needs to learn to control his hand movements so he doesn't look so goofy.

minsk

Jan 28, 2019
Damn good stuff from Beto. Honestly he's only been improving since his launch.

That's not unexpected, if you think about it. Unlike most of the rest of the field, who have been preparing their presidential campaigns for a long time, Beto hasn't really had much time to put together his campaign and sharpen his messaging. It's not surprising that he was a bit unpolished out of the gate and is improving as he spends more time campaigning. I really like how he responds to criticism as well. His policy offerings have gotten more substantive and he's improved how he frames the role of his wife in his campaign after receiving criticism on both those points—it suggests that he is a person who listens and responds to feedback.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
There was something embarrassing or damaging in his returns. If there wasn't, he should have released them anyway because it makes it look like there was something embarrassing or damaging in his returns. What else is a reasonable person supposed to believe when Mr. Transparency is conspicuously opposed to being transparent on specific issues.

That's why it's going to do him a lot of favors stopping the rumor mill by releasing 10 years. If he ends up not doing it, I have no choice but to believe he's crooked and that's his fault when it happens. But I believe he will be a man of his word this time.

Why this time? Hasn't he earned some doubt over this?

Frankly, that would be a relief. But that would just leave more questions about why he wouldn't release them sooner.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Beto seems fine, but I really don't think we need another straight white dude to be our 46th president. That's just not what we need culturally at the moment.

I still can't believe that as a country in 2019 we've elected 44 white dudes and are continuing to do so. Absolutely insane.

Last edited:

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Beto seems fine, but I really don't think we need another straight white dude to be our 46th president. That's just not what we need culturally at the moment.

Agreed.

I still can't believe that as a country in 2019 we've elected 45 white dudes and are continuing to do so. Absolutely insane.

It's crazy and not a single women president, either. It's embarrassing.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

I still can't believe that as a country in 2019 we've elected 45 white dudes and are continuing to do so. Absolutely insane.

Unmmmm you mean 44 white dudes right?

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

I don't disagree, but our former president of 8 years was black. We made some progress. Certainly not enough, but it still gave me/gives me hope that all is not lost.

That said, electing a black man as president damn near made half the country lose its goddamn mind and the resulting clapback was electing the Cheeto we have in office now. We had the opportunity to elect the most qualified politician, who happened to be a woman, and people were so shook they elected a trash reality TV con man.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Unmmmm you mean 44 white dudes right?
I don't disagree, but our former president of 8 years was black. We made some progress. Certainly not enough, but it still gave me/gives me hope that all is not lost.

That said, electing a black man as president damn near made half the country lose its goddamn mind and the resulting clapback was electing the Cheeto we have in office now. We had the opportunity to elect the most qualified politician, who happened to be a woman, and people were so shook they elected a trash reality TV con man.
Right, I somehow forgot about Obama lol

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Weren't there technically 44 presidents in total, including Trump? Since there's that one guy who had non-consecutive terms?

Oct 26, 2017

I still can't believe that as a country in 2019 we've elected 44 white dudes and are continuing to do so. Absolutely insane.
Yeah it's really embarrassing, but given the front runners this election it looks like that's gonna be the case again. Honestly, I don't think we have the liberty to be that picky this time, too. Trump needs to to go.

LigmaBofa

Alt-account.
Banned
Apr 4, 2019
All the twitter hot takes that have been posted criticizing Buttigieg have only required a tiny bit of research to show that they're lacking in important context or just flat out inaccurate. Not to say there's nothing about Pete worth giving the side-eye over, but each situation so far has been pretty nuanced.

So is there anything explaining Pete not being okay with commuting Manning's sentence, saying "All Lives Matter", and the following?

The guy fucking sucks.

ebs

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is there anything explaining Pete not being okay with commuting Manning's sentence, saying "All Lives Matter", and the following?

The guy fucking sucks.

I think you should read the article which this article referenced in regards to the homes. Talk about cherry picking.

LigmaBofa

Alt-account.
Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Nah, Pete's alright.

6rohh7qlu6q21.jpg

Nah he blows chunks. But I guess Donut Era will eat him up just as they did Kamala and until recently, Biden.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018

The guy fucking sucks.

1) His stance on Manning is that the information she uncovered should have been uncovered through congressional oversight instead of someone breaching classified information. There's not really much more to this, you'll either agree or disagree with him on it. Personally, this is something I strongly disagree with him on.

2) His "all lives matter" statement was made in March 2015, very early on in the timeline of when that phrase entered the national discourse as a right-wing catchphrase to counter BLM. Hillary and O'Malley both used the phrase months later, and although I'm pretty sure Bernie never did he ran into his own problems when it came to handling the BLM movement. Pete has said he was unaware at the time that the phrase was coming to be used in that way, and once he realized it was, he didn't use it again. The full quote in context was during his State of the City address and he actually used it to point out racial injustice rather than to counter the message of BLM:

It's time for South Bend to begin talking about racial reconciliation. That means honest, frank discussions that allow city leaders, law enforcement, and community members to face the mistakes of the past and establish shared ground for the future. We cannot reach our full potential for community-oriented policing until we have made it the norm that all residents feel and know that we have every reason to be both pro-minority and pro-police, at the same time.

There is no contradiction between respecting the risks that police officers take every day in order to protect this community, and recognizing the need to overcome the biases implicit in a justice system that treats people from different backgrounds differently, even when they are accused of the same offenses. We need to take both those things seriously, for the simple and profound reason that all lives matter.

3) That tweet is straight up inaccurate. Homes that were demolished in Pete's 1,000 Homes in 1,000 Days initiative were dilapidated properties that were either abandoned or had been bought as investments for essentially nothing and then left alone for years, lowering the property values for people who actually did live in those areas. They didn't go out and make people homeless. It's true that the initiative drew early criticism for focusing too much on demolition in poor neighborhoods, but it's also true that some of his critics have praised him for changing course once those concerns were brought to him, and he worked with them to help residents in those communities repair some of the properties that weren't too unsafe to live in. The second woman in that video, Stacey Odom, requested a $300,000 grant to help homeowners with repairs and he responded with $650,000. By the end of the initiative, nearly half of the homes they addressed were repaired instead of demolished.

Anyway, I realize the person I'm responding to just signed up yesterday and isn't arguing in good faith, but I'm sure some of this can be useful to others in this thread as well. Anyone who's interested in actually listening to Pete speak about race can do so at the following:

Breakfast Club interview (starting at 19:18)
Van Jones interview (starting at 5:36)
He talks about reparations in this interview with the New Yorker

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I absolutely despise Glenn Greenwald; watched his interview on TYT and Cenk was having none of his bs. Him + Michael Tracey are shockingly dishonest.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Right now
It's very early, I won't be surprised by the time the first primary vote is cast, Bernie is not in the top 5

Status
Not open for further replies.