• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
This week's WORLDWIDE Top 10 Netflix TV shows, for the week of May 16, 2021 (thanks again to Aiii for the link).

The countries listed with the shows are where their origin of filming occurred:

1.) Jupiter's Legacy (Volume 1) (United States)
2.) Love, Death, and Robots (Volumes 1-2) (United States)
3.) El Inocente (Limited Series) (Spain)
4.) Sexify (Season 1) (Poland)
5.) Castlevania (Seasons 1-4) (United States)
6.) Shadow and Bone (Season 1) (United States)
7.) Halston (Season 1) (United States)
8.) Vincenzo (Limited Series) (South Korea)
9.) Selena: The Series (Parts 1-2) (Mexico)
10.) Falsa Identidad (Season 1) (Mexico)

https://flixpatrol.com/top10/netflix/world/2021-05-16/

And this week's US Top 10 Netflix TV shows, for the week of May 16, 2021:

1.) The Upshaws (Season 1) (NEW)
2.) Jupiter's Legacy (Volume 1)
3.) Love, Death, and Robots (Volumes 1-2) (NEW)
4.) Halston (Season 1) (NEW)
5.) Startup (Seasons 1-3)
6.) Cocomelon (Seasons 1-2)
7.) Castlevania (Seasons 1-4) (NEW)
8.) Shadow and Bone (Season 1)
9.) Selena: The Series (Parts 1-2)
10.) The Sons of Sam: A Descent Into Darkness (Limited Series)

https://flixpatrol.com/top10/netflix/united-states/2021-05-16/

The links provided show more detailed information of each show's rankings.

Please let me know if we just want the worldwide list, just the US list, or both. I can also provide an image of the list instead of typing it all out if people want it done that way.

I also apologize for posting this so late. I was out all day and just got back home to type it all out about a half-hour ago.

The WW list if more interesting to me because it shows content I may not be aware of but I'm sure there are people who like the US list. Both are showing pretty weak numbers for Halston.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
The WW list if more interesting to me because it shows content I may not be aware of but I'm sure there are people who like the US list. Both are showing pretty weak numbers for Halston.

I'm surprised how quickly l Ryan Murphy becomes irrelevant after signing mega Netflix deal.
And I'm not talking about how critically panned most of his contents are. Just less and less people care or watch his series.

Although Ratched got big numbers, but it is produces by 20th Studio and distributed by Disney, funny.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Man, ATT are really shit at being a corp, it's the AOL deal all over again
I look at most corporations like GE in 30 Rock. The only success is purely by accident.

The Zoey finale last night was pretty good. I want the show to come back but I won't be devastated if it doesn't. The setup at the end could bring a lot of fun if there's another season.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This was posted in the other thread but I thought I'd post it here too

A decision to make an offer would have been up to NBCU owner Comcast, which may have hesitated and lost out on the chance. Now sources believe NBCU will turn its sights on ViacomCBS.

Regardless of whether that happens, says one knowledgeable source, depends on whether ViacomCBS chairman Shari Redstone is a seller (she'd have to consider it, given the state of the media world) and whether the deal — which would potentially bring assets including CBS and NBC, with their various news operations, under one roof, not to mention the Paramount and Universal — can pass federal antitrust scrutiny. It would be sure to face a much harder look from regulators than a Discovery combination with WarnerMedia. No doubt assets would have to be shed if such a marriage were to be attempted. Viacom declined to comment and Discovery and NBCU did not respond to a query.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

How a Discovery-WarnerMedia Merger Would Rattle Hollywood

If AT&T makes a deal to spin off its media assets, sources say it could leave Discovery mogul David Zaslav in the driver's seat along with CNN chief Jeff Zucker — and wouldn't be a promising development for new WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Big chance NBCUniversal and Viacom will merge, they just can't compete standing alone anymore.
HBO+Discovery is coming for that second place.
I wonder Disney will do another big acquisition to beef up their contents.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Big chance NBCUniversal and Viacom will merge, they just can't compete standing alone anymore.
HBO+Discovery is coming for that second place.
I wonder Disney will do another big acquisition to beef up their contents.
After Disney lost a lot of revenue last year due to the pandemic and the future unknowns related to the coronavirus I wonder if they may hesitate to make any major acquisitions for a little while.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Y'all remember Disney owns both Fox and Hulu, right?

US side may be different, but ever since Star launched in Europe, Disney+ is easily my most used streaming service.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Y'all remember Disney owns both Fox and Hulu, right?

US side may be different, but ever since Star launched in Europe, Disney+ is easily my most used streaming service.

Yeah they are very solid, but after today it's weirdly not enough.
I though since all media moguls try to build their streaming service. After the few years, most of them will fall and start to merge with each others.
But AT&T decides to speedrun the game today. I just check Discovery+ literally just launch in US in January, 4 month later they fold. This happens so suddenly they don't know what to do with their 2 service right now, combine or do add-on like Disney+.

New Viacom is always set up for purchase. Most outlets speculate they and NBC will merge unless there is another bidder.
Things move very fast, Disney may start to do something.

P/S: this is very good news for customers. Maybe in the end of this year there will be 3 streaming services left (not counting Apple TV+), we only need to sub 2 of them to get most of everything lol.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
So Discovery takes over Warnermedia?

This is nuts.

What's funny is Discovery+ houses A&E content and the A&E stuff is partly owned by Disney.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The WarnerMedia and Discovery move is confounding.

I don't know what the hell AT&T is doing, but it seems like they're flailing.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
The WarnerMedia and Discovery move is confounding.

I don't know what the hell AT&T is doing, but it seems like they're flailing.

All sight point to yes from what I read.
They bought Warner for $85B, now they get $43B worth of 71% shares of new company.
So the new joined company only worth $60B much lower than they valued Warner 3 years ago.
But maybe the new company will do great in the future without AT&T management.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Showbuzzdaily is still down. There haven't been any updates from them on Twitter since Friday so hopefully they're still trying to work it out.

Fortunately, TV Line has Sunday night's ratings:

TV Line said:
In the latest TV show ratings, NBC's Zoey's Playlist closed Season 2 with 1.2 million total viewers (its third-smallest audience to date) and a 0.2 demo rating (down a tenth from last week's finals to match its series low). Leading out of ZEP, fellow bubble drama Good Girls (1.4 mil/0.3) was steady.

Elsewhere:

ABC | AFV (4.4 mil/0.6), American Idol (5.2 mil/0.65), and the newly renewed The Rookie's season finale (3.7 mil/0.5) all dipped, though Idol still pulled off a Sunday demo win.

CBS | The Equalizer (7 mil/0.6) dipped, while NCIS: Los Angeles (5.7 mil/0.6) and New Orleans (4.9 moil/0.5) were steady heading into their respective season and series finales.

THE CW | Legends of Tomorrow (422K/0.1) and Batwoman (341K/0.1) both dipped to new audience lows while steady in the demo.

FOX | The Simpsons (1 mil/0.4) ticked up, while The Great North's season finale (770K/0.3), Bob's Burgers (1 mil/0.4) and the Family Guy finale (1.1 mil/0.4) all dipped.

https://tvline.com/2021/05/17/ratings-zoeys-playlist-season-2-finale-renewed-or-cancelled/

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
It looks good. But kinda weird because I remember the main character is a adult in the comic, full of violence and sex too.
Not sure what comic you're thinking of, but it's not Sweet Tooth.

That said, it looks a little weird just since Lemire's art is so raw while this is so bright and clean.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Ooh, I'm down for all 3 of those.

I'm way behind on Good Fight, my partner and I lost our taste for it after Trump was elected and didn't want the constant reminders. Now he's out of office we might be able to enjoy it again.

Last edited:

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Zoey finale last night was pretty good. I want the show to come back but I won't be devastated if it doesn't. The setup at the end could bring a lot of fun if there's another season.
Yeah I really enjoyed it too. Awesome cliffhanger, I really hope there's a season 3. Jane Levy keeps impressing me, the entire cast is actually.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Only 3 reviews for In Treatment Season 4 so far and they're kinda mixed to positive. I hope it gets great over the course of the season as some previous seasons were like. It's one of my most anticipated series. Mild spoilers in the reviews (that hint at bigger spoilers) BTW.

www.rottentomatoes.com

In Treatment: Season 4 | Rotten Tomatoes

Based on an Israeli Academy Award-winning TV drama series, "In Treatment" features a psychologist confronting some uneasy personal truths. For the first three seasons, the featured doctor is middle-aged Paul Weston, who has sessions with his own psychotherapist. After more than a decade off the...

Two on there and a third one on TV Guide that hasn't been added yet.

www.tvguide.com

In Treatment Review: HBO's Revival Is a Quiet and Critical Examination of Our Own Humanity

The timely Season 4 asks us to find out who we really are

Jul 4, 2018
Yeah they are very solid, but after today it's weirdly not enough.
I though since all media moguls try to build their streaming service. After the few years, most of them will fall and start to merge with each others.
But AT&T decides to speedrun the game today. I just check Discovery+ literally just launch in US in January, 4 month later they fold. This happens so suddenly they don't know what to do with their 2 service right now, combine or do add-on like Disney+.

New Viacom is always set up for purchase. Most outlets speculate they and NBC will merge unless there is another bidder.
Things move very fast, Disney may start to do something.

P/S: this is very good news for customers. Maybe in the end of this year there will be 3 streaming services left (not counting Apple TV+), we only need to sub 2 of them to get most of everything lol.
Disney is fine, they will have $16-17B of DTC revenue and $50B+ media revenue this year (not including parks) they had $4B in DTC revenue and $12.4B in total media revenue in the March quarter so times that by 4 or so.

That is roughly what the combined Warner-Discovery is projecting in 2023 with $15B+ in DTC revnue and $52B in total company revenue.

source for the Warner Discovery projection (pages 10 and 11) : https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/0000732717/000119312521162721/d176202dex992.htm

$9B is a lot that is more than Pixar or alternatively Marvel and Star Wars (Lucasfilm) combined.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Disney is fine, they will have $16-17B of DTC revenue and $50B+ media revenue this year (not including parks) they had $4B in DTC revenue and $12.4B in total media revenue in the March quarter so times that by 4 or so.

That is roughly what the combined Warner-Discovery is projecting in 2023 with $15B+ in DTC revnue and $52B in total company revenue.

source for the Warner Discovery projection (pages 10 and 11) : https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/0000732717/000119312521162721/d176202dex992.htm

$9B is a lot that is more than Pixar or alternatively Marvel and Star Wars (Lucasfilm) combined.

Disney will always be fine, they own too much big IPs. They are the best of getting results while doing bare minimum.

Disney just missed D+ sub target like 5 millions this quarter. The slow down is insane, you don't just miss your target with millions like that. I think they are quietly delusional if they thought they could get 15m more subs by relying on The Falcon And Winter Soldier alone. I'm fairly confident they never meet their target getting 240-260m D+ sub in the 2024. Disney maybe not need another big purchase, Fox studio is still there. They are neglecting the Fox side too much since acquisition. There are more news about executives exiting than projects being greenlit.

MGM was begging others to buy them for like $5-7B, then today Amazon will likely get them for $9B, massive overpriced. But this is totally a reaction after Warner-Discovery news.

OP
OP
mreddie

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
D+ is gonna likely get bigger as the content comes but I do think the plateau might have hit already.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if you are a parent with young children, a Star Wars fan, or MCU fan then you probably have a D+ subscription. I doubt Loki, Obi-Wan, or whatever is going to see a large uptick in subscriptions.

Jul 4, 2018
Disney will always be fine, they own too much big IPs. They are the best of getting results while doing bare minimum.

Disney just missed D+ sub target like 5 millions this quarter. The slow down is insane, you don't just miss your target with millions like that. I think they are quietly delusional if they thought they could get 15m more subs by relying on The Falcon And Winter Soldier alone. I'm fairly confident they never meet their target getting 240-260m D+ sub in the 2024. Disney maybe not need another big purchase, Fox studio is still there. They are neglecting the Fox side too much since acquisition. There are more news about executives exiting than projects being greenlit.

MGM was begging others to buy them for like $5-7B, then today Amazon will likely get them for $9B, massive overpriced. But this is totally a reaction after Warner-Discovery news.
Disney didn't miss their target (they are still on track to hit the 230-260m range by end of 2024), they missed wall streets target which was ridiculously high considering the miss that Netflix had on sub numbers and Disney only new territory was Singapore. For instance this slow down quarter they added 8.7m if they average that amount over the next 15 quarters that will take them to 234m subs by year end 2024, but as I said it was a slower quarter due to limited international expansion they still have Malaysia and Thailand in June followed by the Phillipines, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Eastern Europe later this year which should boost things in there short term.

Also MGM is not a reaction to Warner-Discovery it's way too soon after that announcement, this has likely been inn the works for months.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Disney didn't miss their target (they are still on track to hit the 230-260m range by end of 2024), they missed wall streets target which was ridiculously high considering the miss that Netflix had on sub numbers and Disney only new territory was Singapore. For instance this slow down quarter they added 8.7m if they average that amount over the next 15 quarters that will take them to 234m subs by year end 2024, but as I said it was a slower quarter due to limited international expansion they still have Malaysia and Thailand in June followed by the Phillipines, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Eastern Europe later this year which should boost things in there short term.

Also MGM is not a reaction to Warner-Discovery it's way too soon after that announcement, this has likely been inn the works for months.

I honestly don't think they will. Let wait the end of the year when the free and discounted subs run out and see.
I think the $9B price is the the reaction, the "talks" just go on for too long. Warner-Discovery deal happened like in 2 days likely on the golf course lol. It was a rumor yesterday, confirmed today.

Jul 4, 2018
I honestly don't think they will. Let wait the end of the year when the free and discounted subs run out and see.
I think the $9B price is the the reaction, the "talks" just go on for too long. Warner-Discovery deal happened like in 2 days likely on the golf course lol. It was a rumor yesterday, confirmed today.
Free and discounted plans have long run out in there past and had little impact, so I expect the same in the future.

The CEOs of AT&T and Discovery have been discussing the merger since February.

source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-at-t-discovery-inc-negotiations-idUSKCN2CY2HD

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Free and discounted plans have long run out in there past and had little impact, so I expect the same in the future.

The CEOs of AT&T and Discovery have been discussing the merger since February.

source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-at-t-discovery-inc-negotiations-idUSKCN2CY2HD

So it literally happened in the golf tournament lol.
This article is like today, who suppose to know what they were talking behind close door lol.
I typically just follow media outlets. This merger took everyone by surprise. Last thing I heard was AT&T wanted to merge Warner with NBCUniversal. The thing with Discovery is there is no build up to it.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Apple is really just not going to do anything about their lack of back catalog?