MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Disrespectful to use the botched Director's Cut version of sonic on the tweet
This would have been more appropriate
Sonic-Adventure-banner-image.jpg
This was when I said... WTF happened to Sonic?

I've grown more fond of that style over time... but for real though

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely love this game I play it on and off every year randomly. Such a joy to play. That sega blue skies is just too damn good and pleasing to look at.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
All time classic, and SA2 was even better. These games are up my life when they came out, I'm still a 3D sonic fan to this day.

Aaron

Dreamcast Political Party
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Still love this game, dearly and unironically. I remember the game having slightly mixed reactions back when it released too, though that's clearly developed against its favor judging by this thread, haha.

For me it still represents the most genuine, good-faith effort to translate the design philosophy of the 2D Sonic games into the 3D space. Sonic's levels still have momentum physics and multiple pathways that reward exploration and speed, and even Tails and Knuckles control similarly, while having different gameplay objectives. I don't think it's a perfect transition by any means, but I wish they'd continued sanding off the edges rather than going full in on "SPEEDSPEEDSPEED GOTTA GO FAST" with Sonic's levels in future games and letting other characters' campaigns stray even further away from typical Sonic gameplay.

In the meantime, I still consider it a great game. Playing through the Sonic levels is a blast for me, even if it's more like a rollercoaster ride now that I know the levels in and out. In fact, that may contribute to my enjoyment of the game - I won't deny there is some jankiness to it, but it's consistent enough that once you learn your way around the level design you can avoid most of it pretty easily. (This seems like such a backhanded compliment but I completely understand why someone might not enjoy the game the first time playing it while I enjoy the hell out of it)

I also honestly thought their first time experimenting with different gameplay styles was mostly successful, with Big being the big (hurr) exception. Amy and Gamma still represent sharp deviations, but their physics and objectives are still more or less the same. Tails' campaign is pretty much just a shorter Sonic's with a race element to each level, and Knuckles I actually think benefits from sharing Sonic's levels since you're exploring wide, open spaces rather than the close corridors in SA2. The emerald radar and hint system is also far more useful than what they'd come up with in SA2. Even Big's campaign is over in a breeze if you know what you're doing, but that doesn't change that fishing mechanics don't belong in a Sonic game at all.

I think SA1's reputation has suffered more retroactively than anything else. The ports they've done are far buggier than the original game with each one introducing new problems, and the sequels largely compound on its problems and discarding what it did well. Love it all the same, may have to fire up the Dreamcast tonight and revisit it.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
that CG art is mostly known from SADX, but it was around in the actual SA1 era.
While i agree with your statement, that artwork is actually from the japanese Dreamcast magazine.
I myself found this out like yesterday so i don't blame you.
page1-225px-DCM_JP_19981120_1998-01.pdf.jpg
Huh, imagine that. I was never a fan of this render though. Something about it just seems off from the SA1 design. I guess it's fitting for DX since they changed the whole look of the game with the new lighting system

Oct 27, 2017
Started a new play through last night and will continue tonite. Moving this Friday so I'll finallt set up a retro game spot with a CRT to do it justice

Apr 21, 2018
sa2w7j1h.jpg

real OGs remember WHEN THE NEXT GENERATION ARRIVED

LOOK AT THAT FUCKIN WHALE

This screenshot absolutely blew my N64-PSX-mind away back in 2000.

I know the game has aged a little poorly for it's broken controls and camera, but I still loved it (the Sonic portion, not side characters) and would re-buy a competent re-release immediately. C'mon AM2, bring it to Switch.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
This game's a fucking mess, an absolute pile, but it has (stupid, stupid) heart and personality and I like it so fight me.

EDIT: Also can we talk about how GUN in SA2 reverse engineered Chaos to weaponize him, and the game didn't make a big deal of it? As if to say "duh, of course a shitty world government would weaponize everything it possibly can, no matter how sacrilegious."

Art-Chaos-Small.png

Last edited:

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Man, this game blew my fucking mind back in the day. I didn't even know what the Dreamcast was when it came out, but one of my best friends who had moved away got one at launch. I went and visited him in the summer of '00, and that was the first time I had seen or played the Dreamcast. The most advanced shit I had seen at this point was the N64 in my own house, so I was going fucking ape shit playing this game at his house for the week I was there. We crushed several cases of Mountain Dew as we stayed up for days collecting Chaos Emeralds. It was one of the best games I had ever played in my young life at that point.

Ironically enough, even just a few years later I came back to it via the PC and GC ports, and I was not nearly as thrilled. At that point it felt pretty stale and clunky. Maybe I'll pop in the DC version one of these nights for old time sake.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This screenshot absolutely blew my N64-PSX-mind away back in 2000.

I know the game has aged a little poorly for it's broken controls and camera, but I still loved it (the Sonic portion, not side characters) and would re-buy a competent re-release immediately. C'mon AM2, bring it to Switch.
I would love to know why Sega has yet to port Sonic Adventure 1&2 to Switch.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Huh, imagine that. I was never a fan of this render though. Something about it just seems off from the SA1 design. I guess it's fitting for DX since they changed the whole look of the game with the new lighting system

That render is pretty much the same as the CG intro.

Still love this game, dearly and unironically. I remember the game having slightly mixed reactions back when it released too, though that's clearly developed against its favor judging by this thread, haha.

For me it still represents the most genuine, good-faith effort to translate the design philosophy of the 2D Sonic games into the 3D space. Sonic's levels still have momentum physics and multiple pathways that reward exploration and speed, and even Tails and Knuckles control similarly, while having different gameplay objectives. I don't think it's a perfect transition by any means, but I wish they'd continued sanding off the edges rather than going full in on "SPEEDSPEEDSPEED GOTTA GO FAST" with Sonic's levels in future games and letting other characters' campaigns stray even further away from typical Sonic gameplay.

In the meantime, I still consider it a great game. Playing through the Sonic levels is a blast for me, even if it's more like a rollercoaster ride now that I know the levels in and out. In fact, that may contribute to my enjoyment of the game - I won't deny there is some jankiness to it, but it's consistent enough that once you learn your way around the level design you can avoid most of it pretty easily. (This seems like such a backhanded compliment but I completely understand why someone might not enjoy the game the first time playing it while I enjoy the hell out of it)

I also honestly thought their first time experimenting with different gameplay styles was mostly successful, with Big being the big (hurr) exception. Amy and Gamma still represent sharp deviations, but their physics and objectives are still more or less the same. Tails' campaign is pretty much just a shorter Sonic's with a race element to each level, and Knuckles I actually think benefits from sharing Sonic's levels since you're exploring wide, open spaces rather than the close corridors in SA2. The emerald radar and hint system is also far more useful than what they'd come up with in SA2. Even Big's campaign is over in a breeze if you know what you're doing, but that doesn't change that fishing mechanics don't belong in a Sonic game at all.

I think SA1's reputation has suffered more retroactively than anything else. The ports they've done are far buggier than the original game with each one introducing new problems, and the sequels largely compound on its problems and discarding what it did well. Love it all the same, may have to fire up the Dreamcast tonight and revisit it.

My man.

Tororo

Oct 27, 2017
I fully acknowledge that neither SA nor SA2 are actually good games, but I love them to death and always will.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
The game had everything!
TPP, hub, snowboarding, shooting, pinballing, fishing, whackamoling, tamagotching!
I was there Japanese day one (import). Impressive looking, marvelous OST, tons of ideas and spectacular set pieces constantly thrown at you.

Ah, yes the camera was atrocious and it was a janky glitch fest, I guess.

But what a ride.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The game had everything!
TPP, hub, snowboarding, shooting, pinballing, fishing, whackamoling, tamagotching!
I was there Japanese day one (import). Impressive looking, marvelous OST, tons of ideas and spectacular set pieces constantly thrown at you.

Ah, yes the camera was atrocious and it was a janky glitch fest, I guess.

But what a ride.

The Japanese version was glitchier than the western one (that's why it was re-released as Sonic Adventure International there).

Feb 9, 2018
It was decent for its time, but in retrospect Sonic should have always remained a 2D platforming series. Like many other series originating in the "2D era" of gaming, Sonic just never translated well to 3D. Sonic Mania was the best Sonic game released since Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Deleted member 37342

Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Without Sonic Adventure, I would not be into video games today. I will fight anyone who talks shit about it. Time to replay it.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Mind-blowing to look at for the time, then the janky cut scenes and awkward controls bogged it down.

Edit- Auto correct can go tuck itself in.

Last edited:

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda loved both of the SA games. They definitely didn't play like a dream or anything but I did like trying for S ranks. Chaos garden became pretty addictive by SA2 as well. Still have both on pc and need to replay them at some point. I've replayed them a few years back anyway so I know how poorly they hold up

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
As time goes on and the more I replay these games, the more I'm convinced Sonic Robo Blast 2's method of movement and camera control (not neccesarily it's momentum and acceleration, just how movement and the camera works) is the only way Sonic can control well in 3D beyond running down a semi/fully automated hallway.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
I had a blast playing through the PC version with DC mods last year:

sonicadventure-knuckl0hk6e.png

sonicadventure-gammavf6k1g.png

sonicadventure-mastervqke6.png

sonicadventure-supers5fk5z.png

The Dreamcast lighting and models make it look so much better. I wasn't really expecting to enjoy it again as much as I did. The only real sore spots I had were the camera, which gets stuck on everything, and the Big sections. Amy's flippy jumps are super fun.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a step down from the Genesis Sonics, it wasn't as well made as Super Mario 64, and it started the trend of shitty story elements and non-fun playable characters for Sonic games. But, I still consider it a great game and technology showpiece that gets treated harsher than it should today because sequels expanded on its worst qualities.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Tbh, as someone who only likes sonic aesthetically, what this game did was to ruin his perfect and timeless desing to me. I think his og artwork has the same magic and universal appeal mickey mouse and mario have.
s1-bginfo-summaryimg1full.jpg

To me what's appealing about sonic isn't that he is edgy or anything like that, its that he tries to be edgy and cool, but at the same time that he is a small chubby cute hedgehog, and that's charming. that's why he can appeal to everyone. But then comes 1999:
Sonic3.png

now he is just an edgy pointy animal mascot, made for a much more specific audience. To me this is very dated, and after this sonic never was that appealing to me anymore. Tho since i'm on my early 20's this is the one i saw more growing up. A shame really.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
As time goes on and the more I replay these games, the more I'm convinced Sonic Robo Blast 2's method of movement and camera control (not neccesarily it's momentum and acceleration, just how movement and the camera works) is the only way Sonic can control well in 3D beyond running down a semi/fully automated hallway.
The wisest among us agreed that classic Doom basically runs at Sanic speed, just without the cartoony level design. SRB2's great for sure, but the handling and physics in recent Sonic fangames/demos shows tons more potential.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I loved these games as a kid, and that simple story touched me in a profound I'm-10-years-old way.

I'm afraid to play the Adventure games now and see all of the disgusting warts, but if it was on switch, I'd still buy it in a heartbeat.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
The wisest among us agreed that classic Doom basically runs at Sanic speed, just without the cartoony level design. SRB2's great for sure, but the handling and physics in recent Sonic fangames/demos shows tons more potential.
There's always the weird question of "what does holding right on the stick while running do?" And the answer is it depends on how fast you're going and whether or not you're in a semi or full automated section. This is further complicated by what the manual/semi/full automated camera is doing. There was a video that talked about it, but I don't remember which, but it basically talked about how the faster you go, the more awkward it is to turn like you normally would in a platformer.

Which is why I think SRB2 does it best by just saying that Sonic controls like a really fast third person shooter, and nothing is automated. But yeah, modern fan games have definitely shown how Sonic in 3D should handle.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
It's rough around the edges but it's a more enjoyable experience than people give it credit for.

It's sequel is the best Sonic game outside CD and Mania.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I wish they would re-release the Dreamcast version instead of the DX version. There's something about the look of DC one I prefer.

There's a LOT about the DC version that is significantly better.

Dreamcastify

It's a very cool game. I think like most platformers of the era it's creaky and shows its age, but I admire its ambition and it's a very striking project and particularly solid considering just how little time the developers had to work on it.

Also this game predates the Naruto run as seen in Naruto. We should call it the "Sonic run". Plus Sonic Colors is all about freeing aliens from an authoritarian menace

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember my neighbor got it first and it blew me away...he didn't have a VMU so he couldn't save it.

Got it a few months later with a Dreamcast for Christmas. Was the ONLY game I owned for the console alongside a football game my dad picked up for himself until Sonic Shuffle, which was my last purchase.

My disc broke and I freaked the fuck out, tried so hard to fix it and nope. Probably made it worse.