jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.webp
Came for this, not disappointed.
giphy.gif

Scotty

Nov 11, 2023
35 years I was led to believe that this was a terrible video game movie and when I finally watched it a few years ago it was quite entertaining and hilarious to boot.

And when discussing the Street fighter movie with my brother, my mom just casually says, oh yeah I saw Raul Julia when he played Dracula in a stage play. So random.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I unironically fuckin' love that movie.

It reached the legendary "It's so bad that it's actually good and entertaining" status.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Do bear in mind that ten million yen is like $62k.

It's not nothing, but it maybe makes them $150,000 a year for a film that is still widely licensed to basic cable channels globally. Well... yeah.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
What does this mean? The movie cost 35m. It made 100m. It's been 30 years. Why would you need to skew or twist anything? Seems logical a movie like this could be making money today.
You're not thinking like a Hollywood exec. The example of Men in Black is perfect as the film came out in 1997. It had a budget of $90million, and made over $550million worldwide box office, but it's apparently never made a penny of profit... the DVDs/Blu rays/streaming... all profitless.

Yet it's had 3 sequels, all of which similarly failed to turn any profit despite the box office being higher than the budget.

Hollywood studios do this for every film, as it cuts down taxes or something, so it's refreshing to see a company that isn't in that clique exposing some truths about movie profitability, especially as SF the movie only made $99million at the box office.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Time to port Street Fighter the movie the Game at last!
Gonna need both the arcade and Saturn versions ported! Im serious... gimme those ports.

Also, Id have honestly assumed SF The Movie lost money, but the ways its phrased is one to suggests that it made money and continues to do so... somehow.

Also, Im way more interested to hear about SFVI's performance per what was elluded to in the quote, I know it did strong numbers thanks to Akuma but Im curious just how good.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Confused Zangief is one of the best gags of the movie… I should really pull out my copy for a rewatch
Gonna need both the arcade and Saturn versions ported! Im serious... gimme those ports.

Also, Id have honestly assumed SF The Movie lost money, but the ways its phrased is one to suggests that it made money and continues to do so... somehow.

Also, Im way more interested to hear about SFVI's performance per what was elluded to in the quote, I know it did strong numbers thanks to Akuma but Im curious just how good.
It's always funny to think they used it to test out some of the big mechanic shifts of all games. I have a Saturn copy, it's a surprisingly solid game since it's just a SF2 reskin with minor revisions

kowhite

May 14, 2019
You're not thinking like a Hollywood exec. The example of Men in Black is perfect as the film came out in 1997. It had a budget of $90million, and made over $550million worldwide box office, but it's apparently never made a penny of profit... the DVDs/Blu rays/streaming... all profitless.

Men in Black made a profit. I dont know why you think it didn't. You're talking about how participation statements don't actually reflect real numbers and aren't a reflection of actual profit. Which has nothing to do with actual accounting profitability. I don't think you quite understand what Hollywood accounting is. Hollywood does not do whatever nonsense you think they do. Just cause Ed Solomon has a shitty net profit deal on Men in Black that'll never pay really has nothing to do with whether the film is profitable or not.

Last edited:

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
Men in Black made a profit. I dont know why you think it didn't. You're talking about how participation statements don't actually reflect real numbers and aren't a reflection of actual profit. Which has nothing to do with actual accounting profitability. I don't think you quite understand what Hollywood accounting is. Hollywood does not do whatever nonsense you think they do.
According to the screenwriter it still hadn't turned a profit in 2019 when the 4th film came out(https://twitter.com/ed_solomon/status/1139031900931198976)

kowhite

May 14, 2019
According to the screenwriter it still hadn't turned a profit in 2019 when the 4th film came out(https://twitter.com/ed_solomon/status/1139031900931198976)

The screenwriter can tell you whether his shitty net profit deal is paying. It's not, they rarely if ever do. It has no reflection at all on actual film profitability. Men in Black would be profitibile long, long before that deal woild ever pay. Will Smith? Tommy LeeJones? They're statements pay money.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
Streaming services at this point. Old catalogue movies/tv shows generate billions from Netflix/Amazon Prime and the rest. Wouldn't be much of a surprise if a cult classic like SF movie is worth a few hundred thousand dollars in streaming value each year (that would equate to tens of millions of yen).

Big blockbusters are worth millions of dollars per year in streaming value, the biggest are likely worth tens of millions of dollars per year as are major TV shows like Seinfeld, Office, Suits, etc. that generate loads of streaming viewership.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably worth noting that the yen is so weak right now that one million yen is only like $6K USD. I would be shocked if any studio movie on a streaming catalogue wasn't worth at least $10K USD a year, or more than a million yen. We're not ultimately talking about that much money.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
The behind the scenes was pretty crazy

www.theguardian.com

'I punched him so hard he cried': inside the Street Fighter movie

In 1993, writer/director Steven de Souza battled a military coup, an ever-growing cast list and a self-destructing Jean-Claude Van Damme – and came out with a profitable picture

I remember reading another long article about the fascinating train wreck that was this movie's production.

This movie is undeniably "so bad it's good" to me, but the story of how it was made is legitimately engrossing.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
It's probably worth noting that the yen is so weak right now that one million yen is only like $6K USD. I would be shocked if any studio movie on a streaming catalogue wasn't worth at least $10K USD a year, or more than a million yen. We're not ultimately talking about that much money.

Yeah, there's no way this thing only brings in 10k of revenue. They probably sell more than that in DVD each year, ignoring all the licensing and EHV and whatnot.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
This reads to me like the screenwriter got shafted in the contract and isn't making any money. But just because he isn't doesn't mean the film didn't.

Well, he didnt get shafted. Most writers get a net profit deal. It's the worst deal. It only pays if your film is truly a monster hit. But most writers do not get any better. So hard to say he got shafted. Not like him getting better was really in the cards.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
My main complaint was that they didn't cast Ryu or Ken properly, otherwise it was a really fun movie. Guile was my favorite character when I was a kid, so having him be the protagonist was fun at the time.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Cuz dorks like me are buying that Steelbook Blu-ray they released a few years ago lol

FBBXlLjVEAEpWeP.jpg:small

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
10 million yen is roughly 62,000 USD for reference. I imagine there are various streaming deals and it gets VOD rentals whenever never SF content comes around and casuals see it or something on a sale for $1-2 rental. Impressive in some ways but not that unbelievable
Yeah, with no costs it shouldn't be surprising that an unpopular movie still makes a few hundred thousand dollars a year.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Iconic movie. I had both this and the Mortal Kombat movie on VHS and wore them both out. I can probably still quote both movies fairly well.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not surprised it still makes money as it's an infamously fun movie. But tens of Millions? That's fucking wild. lol. I'm curious if there was a surge after Bison was announced for SF6? No doubt even back in the day before the movie came out the character was popular but I think that movie is why that character is popular enough to never truly go away. As entertaining as certain things unrelated to Bison in that movie are, Raul Julia is why watching that movie is actually a mostly entertaining and worthwhile experience. He's why that movie matters. As played out as the "Tuesday" quote is, it's still a truly great all timer villain line.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Well, he didnt get shafted. Most writers get a net profit deal. It's the worst deal. It only pays if your film is truly a monster hit. But most writers do not get any better. So hard to say he got shafted. Not like him getting better was really in the cards.
That's the point though. You cook the books to make it look like it never made a dime so you don't have to pay anyone shit.

It's obviously bullshit but Hollywood is really good at it. So on paper it's a great deal but in execution? It's horrible.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
That's the point though. You cook the books to make it look like it never made a dime so you don't have to pay anyone shit.

It's obviously bullshit but Hollywood is really good at it. So on paper it's a great deal but in execution? It's horrible.

No. You don't have to cook the books. Do you even know what a net profit deal is? Cause you don't need to do anything funky to make that deal not pay. You guys heard Hollywood accounting and actually think that means they just cook all their books. Like really people? Need I say again wat that writer is looking at is not actual profitibility. It's something else.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
www.theguardian.com

'I punched him so hard he cried': inside the Street Fighter movie

In 1993, writer/director Steven de Souza battled a military coup, an ever-growing cast list and a self-destructing Jean-Claude Van Damme – and came out with a profitable picture

Ming-Na Wen, who played Chun-Li, and underwent intense weight training in the lead up to the film, remembers it a little differently. "They were all big wussies," she says, laughing. "I won't name names, but I got into one of those brother-sister banter relationships with one of the other actors. I remember one day, I punched him so hard he cried. We were just goofing around!"

Best Chun-Li ever.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
JCVD and Minogue are terrible in it. Raul Julia obviously nailed it, but the other cast weren't too bad.

Film itself not too bad. Worst thing is the special moves barely feature.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017

Good info. Ultimately though, my read of that tweet is still that the screenwriter not making any money != the movie not being profitable, which appears to be correct.

Also, a systemic shafting is a still a shafting.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
No. You don't have to cook the books. Do you even know what a net profit deal is? Cause you don't need to do anything funky to make that deal not pay. You guys heard Hollywood accounting and actually think that means they just cook all their books. Like really people? Need I say again wat that writer is looking at is not actual profitibility. It's something else.
Do you even know that there's a whole Wikipedia page about this issue with multiple accounts of high-profile lawsuits?