• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
In general I'm against jail, but not sure a privileged wealthy white girl knowingly subverting covid rules to watch a jet ski competition in the caymans elicits much sympathy from me.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My interpretation was she tested negative 2 days into quarantine, but you're right that it wouldn't cover if she caught it at the airport. Didn't think of that.

COVID-19 Guidance: Inbound Travel (exploregov.ky)

for caiman island is specified
  • Undergo COVID-19 testing upon arrival (day 0) in Cayman and again on day 15; and
She was probably given result 1-2 day into the quarantine.
Meaning that the test she took did not included a quite risky period of time.

She decided to gamble with other people health basically.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
I don't feel sorry for this person, and you can't apply american law on another country.

They flauted the countries laws for a fricking jet ski competition.

I have no sympy for this person or her boyfriend.

What does America's need for jail reform have to do with the Cayman Islands anyway?

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck her and the racist reporting. A Black woman is serving 5 years in US prison for erroneously voting, fuck this clown.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it makes absolutely no sense to me. You're taking the huge issue that is debilitating incarceration focused on punishment and trying to force it into a scenario where it just doesn't fit. You're talking about a problem caused by the prison industrial complex, where there is a monetary incentive to keep people in the prison system. There's no rehabilitation because they're designed to lead those people right back into prison even after they are released. Everything inside and outside that prison is designed to put them in there. This is something that disproportionally effects minorities and destroys their lives and dismantles their families and poisons their communities. Do you really think this applies to this young, pretty, blonde white girl?

She's going to be in jail for 4 months (probably less, let's be honest). Do you really think this is an issue of prison reform vs punishment? She's going to be "rehabilitated" just fine. Her life after this will be unaffected, maybe even better with the attention this is getting. She has that privilege. It's the only reason she's getting so much sympathy for this. You're missing the fact that this is why people are upset. They know minorities would never get this much sympathy for even lesser offenses. The law she knowingly broke was one put in place to protect a population (one that is only 20% white btw) from a deadly virus. A virus that has run rampant in the country this girl travelled in from. She supposedly didn't even wear a mask or distance herself when she took off her monitor wristband and went to this event. I'm not happily celebrating this girl's sentence but I don't have to feel bad about her either.

Is 4 months too much? I don't know, I'm not in the place to judge that but Menx64 makes a great point here:

I think you have the right concerns, Vermillion but they're being focused totally in the wrong place.

I think what would convince me most is knowing whether or not jail time will have an affect on her & others beyond punishment.

But then, I still haven't concluded whether or not punishment for the sake of punishment is okay.

Also, I don't disagree with most of what you're saying; I'm not so worried about her in particular. Or rather, I don't feel bad for her at the moment.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Four months is a lot, especially for an eighteen year old. 18 year olds are pretty dumb.

I'm generally in with the "when in Rome," so she's learning a lesson about obeying the laws of other countries and not thinking she's above them. Hope it sticks and she's held accountable for her actions.

Nov 17, 2017
I think what would convince me most is knowing whether or not jail time will have an affect on her & others beyond punishment.

But then, I still haven't concluded whether or not punishment for the sake of punishment is okay.

Also, I don't disagree with most of what you're saying; I'm not so worried about her in particular. Or rather, I don't feel bad for her at the moment.
I guess I'd have to ask; what would affect her in this case? What would be a better action to take towards her for what she did?

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck her and the racist reporting. A Black woman is serving 5 years in US prison for erroneously voting, fuck this clown.
Makes my blood boil

Been posting about her for years. Every time I have a moment of peace and satisfaction playing a fun game or listening to nice music, I feel a sharp pain in my stomach reminding me that as the world continues to turn, this poor woman is still rotting away in a Texas jail cell because a conga line of racist lawyers and judges turned a blind eye to injustice.

So yeah, maybe four months is harsh or whatever for this spoiled little brat, but I have zero sympathy for her when there are people in jail for much longer who have no business being there in the first place.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'd have to ask; what would affect her in this case? What would be a better action to take towards her for what she did?

That's exactly my question. It's not that I'm in favor of inaction - I'm just wondering if this does what it's intended to do. If it does, okay, fine.

If it doesn't, maybe community service was the better punishment.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
4 months is pretty heavy. I'd say a large fine and immediate deportation would send a strong enough message to tourists. You lose money and your vacation is cut short.

Could even blacklist them too.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
With the amount of people I've seen give no fucks about covid precautions, qurantine or wearing masks, I have a hard time feeling sorry for her even if I think four months is too long or that jailtime may not be the answer for smaller offenders (people who organize big events and super spreaders? Hell yes, throw them in there) rather than maybe fines. There has to be some kind of real consequences though.

Huge amounts of people just want to casually put others at risk becuase they're selfish. Its a real danger that people need to take seriously.

It doesn't matter if you don't care if you get it, it affects more than just you.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
My parents live in Anguilla (island close to St. Martin) and some asshole couple from Tampa Bay were caught breaking quarantine recently. Although they avoided jail time, they had to pay $5000, were publicly shamed in an announcement from the Ministry of Health or whatever it's called and got the boot.

These dipshits are too stupid to understand how devastating a serious outbreak would be on any of these islands. Even the more developed ones don't have the infrastructure to deal with this.

As for this story: wtf are these parents doing letting her go alone to see her 24 year old bf during a pandemic? I know she's not like a minor but she's not far off. Parents should be blame themselves.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Putting people in prison for Covid violations is incredibly stupid, especially in cases of quarantine violations because quarantines are mandated DUE TO Covid spread risk and prisons are a hotbed of Covid spread, you're just making an already bad situation worse.

Remembering this thread next time someone claims this forum is progressive, the incredibly regressive and destructive attitudes towards criminal justice policy here never cease to disgust me.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather give a proportionately massive fine than 4 months in jail tbh.

Feels like there should be other punishments than a lengthy jail sentence but idk. I guess there are consequences at least.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
4 months for covid violations seems a bit much especially when you consider covid can spread quickly in places like a prison.

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
I ran that red light but I apologized. If the crime has no major affect on society then a nice apology should get you off.
-kidding

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't know. I'm split on this. She should definitely be punished. She willingly and open broke the law, but 4 months is fucking harsh. It's funny how people are all about jail reform and cheer for this. Give her a massive fine.

Fuck that. A fine mommy and daddy will swiftly handle and she'll learn nothing. Stop going on foreign soil and not respecting their health laws during a pandemic. She can literally get people killed being a selfish person.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously she should be punished but 4 months seems very hefty to me, especially since she did test negatively.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If this wasn't a young blonde white woman you would never hear about it. No sympathy from me when me and my closest haven't seen each other in 9 months.
I agree. Somehow its always a young blonde woman. But why do Americans feel so bad for blonde women?

A fucking black woman will be murdered in her own house and no one bats an eye.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Stuff like this should be treated like drunk driving would imo, so no sympathy at all if she's getting a jail sentence. You are recklessly putting everyone's life around you in danger.

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Putting people in prison for Covid violations is incredibly stupid, especially in cases of quarantine violations because quarantines are mandated DUE TO Covid spread risk and prisons are a hotbed of Covid spread, you're just making an already bad situation worse.

Remembering this thread next time someone claims this forum is progressive, the incredibly regressive and destructive attitudes towards criminal justice policy here never cease to disgust me.
Shit y'all, let one white girl down to face the consequences of her actions in a prison system outside the US for not obeying containment laws during a global pandemic which she literally could have put lives at risk.....and suddenly your a cess pool.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As for this story: wtf are these parents doing letting her go alone to see her 24 year old bf during a pandemic? I know she's not like a minor but she's not far off. Parents should be blame themselves.

Well, here's a bit more context to this story.

Both Mack and Ramjeet are people who know people. Ramjeet's parents both sit on the Cayman Islands Watercraft Association. Mack's father is a professional Jetski racer. They all knew about the competition, and Ramjeet knew about the restrictions that were in place for COVID safety that Mack circumvented.

The original punishment WAS going to be just a fine and community service, with Ramjeet getting stripped of his win, prize money, and a suspension. He would have to make a public apology (which he did), and Mack was going to be booted back to the States. However, the prosecution thought this was too lenient. Again, he knew she was breaking quarantine to see him, and she deliberately setup the removal of her monitoring bracelet.

Prosecution appealed, and the judge agreed. He ramped it up to 4 months in prison, effective Dec. 15th.

There was enabling all around. Honestly? I don't see them doing the full time. There's too much money and influence involved.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see what the big deal is. A girl knowingly broke COVID precautions and is being punished for it. Too bad so sad. Nothing should come of this except maybe an episode of Locked Up Abroad.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shit y'all, let one white girl down to face the consequences of her actions in a prison system outside the US for not obeying containment laws during a global pandemic which she literally could have put lives at risk.....and suddenly your a cess pool.
Ramjeet's not a white girl and the race of a person is irrelevant to whether it is a good idea to jail people for Covid violations when Covid spread in jails and prisons is so rampant. The solution to violating Covid protocols should not be placing people in worse Covid conditions. It's really not hard to understand.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Well, here's a bit more context to this story.

Both Mack and Ramjeet are people who know people. Ramjeet's parents both sit on the Cayman Islands Watercraft Association. Mack's father is a professional Jetski racer. They all knew about the competition, and Ramjeet knew about the restrictions that were in place for COVID safety that Mack circumvented.

The original punishment WAS going to be just a fine and community service, with Ramjeet getting stripped of his win, prize money, and a suspension. He would have to make a public apology (which he did), and Mack was going to be booted back to the States. However, the prosecution thought this was too lenient. Again, he knew she was breaking quarantine to see him, and she deliberately setup the removal of her monitoring bracelet.

Prosecution appealed, and the judge agreed. He ramped it up to 4 months in prison, effective Dec. 15th.

There was enabling all around. Honestly? I don't see them doing the full time. There's too much money and influence involved.

"It was born of selfishness and arrogance."

There you go.

Nov 17, 2017

I think you're ignoring a lot of nuance and context here. We have no idea how she is being jailed and what the conditions are like. You act as if they just threw her into a cell with a bunch of people without knowing if she had covid or not. I would rather assume they took precautions than not and at this point, they'd know if she had covid since this happened in November.

I also think you're missing the nuance of why people are upset. I'm not saying basically dancing happily that a girl was put in jail is a pristine, perfect way to act but people are upset that once again, the media is fishing for sympathy points for someone blatantly breaking the law (in a way that could have seriously harmed an entire population) because she's a pretty, young white person. People are upset and not giving the perfect, moral responses because people like her have led to many getting sick and dying because of their selfishness and privilege. Idk about you but I take more issue with what she did and how the media once again spins this sort of thing than some posts here saying "good" or whatever.

It feels like you didn't even read the story or think about it for more than a minute because you just wanted to make a blanket statement about the people on this forum due to some prior thing that bothered you.

This.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
4 months is a lot. I would've settled fir 1 and a lifetime ban

At the same time her actions could've endangered the entire region and infected/killed a bunch of people so I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to defend her.

images

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ramjeet's not a white girl and the race of a person is irrelevant to whether it is a good idea to jail people for Covid violations when Covid spread in jails and prisons is so rampant. The solution to violating Covid protocols should not be placing people in worse Covid conditions. It's really not hard to understand.
It is relevent when she is the face of the article and not him and in addition to breaking a country's law deliberately , the position of not putting her in jail rings hollow when she could have put people's lives at risk via her willful negligence.

That to me is not hard to understand and given the risks at play here I see no reason to put my neck on the line for her so long as the prison also follows guidelines.

Let me also add that of the hundreds of thousands of people who are in prison who I would gladly campaign to get released, a bunch of spoiled kids who deliberately ignored the law cause they thought they would get away with it are so far below my list they essentially don't exist as far as I'm concerned.